|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Herriot describe most of his meals on the ship to Russia?
2. What did Herriot do for his student after the surgery in Chapter 8?
3. What did Herriot do when he saw that the farmer at the beginning of the book had not fulfilled his promise?
4. What does Robert complain to Herriot about after his cow with the kidney problem is cured?
5. Where was the injection shown Herriot supposed to be given to animals?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did blocked in farmers at Darrowby get food during the bad snow falls?
2. What had changed about his profession when Herriot returned from the military?
3. What did Herriot do during a storm on the ship to Russia that shocked the crew?
4. How did the owner of the animal Herriot accidentally killed respond to the incident?
5. What did Mr. Ripley call Herriot away from dinner to do at the beginning of the book?
6. Who was Amber, and how did Herriot treat her?
7. How was the bull with the stomach tumor controlled in Chapter 6?
8. Why did Herriot take a ship to Russia?
9. What did Herriot want to see most in Russia, and why?
10. How did Herriot hope to earn his keep on the ship to Russia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many different people in this book were persuaded to do things that they would not have done of their own accord. What are some of these instances, and how did persuasion affect these people and their relationships with Herriot?
Essay Topic 2
What important lesson did Herriot learn from his interactions with Robert Maxwell, and how did this change the way Herriot did business with others?
Essay Topic 3
What kinds of things did Herriot do during his voyage to Russia that built strong friendships with the people on board the ship with him?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)