|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was wrong with the cow that was thought to have a broken leg?
2. What did Herriot vow to never think about while around Josh?
3. What did Herriot do for his student after the surgery in Chapter 8?
4. What about his trip to Russia does Herriot describe in Chapter 12?
5. What was the name of Josh's dog?
Short Essay Questions
1. What had changed about his profession when Herriot returned from the military?
2. Why did Herriot not get paid for helping the man in Chapter 2?
3. What did Herriot do during a storm on the ship to Russia that shocked the crew?
4. What was Jimmy's most prized possession when he was a young boy?
5. What did Herriot want to see most in Russia, and why?
6. Why did Herriot take a ship to Russia?
7. How was the bull with the stomach tumor controlled in Chapter 6?
8. What did Mr. Ripley call Herriot away from dinner to do at the beginning of the book?
9. What special skill did Josh say he had?
10. Who did Herriot give constant praise to on the ship, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Comic relief was a literary tool used well by Herriot in this book. What are some of the key examples of this, and how did these scenes affect the plot of the book?
Essay Topic 2
How did Herriot react to his wife going into labor, and why was this such an ironic situation?
Essay Topic 3
What important lesson did Herriot learn from his interactions with Robert Maxwell, and how did this change the way Herriot did business with others?
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)