|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of Herriot's assistant on the ship to Russia?
2. How did Herriot describe his first impression of his daughter?
3. What major injury did a cow sustain in Chapter 6?
4. Where did Herriot travel to in his first trip of the book?
5. What did Herriot do to get Josh's dog to start breathing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Miss Grantley use the clinic for?
2. What did the man in Chapter 2 think was wrong with his dog?
3. How did blocked in farmers at Darrowby get food during the bad snow falls?
4. Why did Herriot think the cow with the Cesarian section would die?
5. Why did Herriot get upset with the student helping him with the Cesarian section?
6. What did Herriot want to see most in Russia, and why?
7. What did Herriot laugh about when he went to help Mr. Ripley and why?
8. What special skill did Josh say he had?
9. Why did Herriot not get paid for helping the man in Chapter 2?
10. What did Mr. Ripley call Herriot away from dinner to do at the beginning of the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What were some of the ways Siegfried got difficult clients to do what he needed them to do, and how did this change Herriot's opinion of Siegfried?
Essay Topic 2
Tristan was a minor person in this story whose presence made a big difference in the plot. How did he accomplish this? What are some ways that his presence- however brief, altered Herriot's life? What would have happened differently if Tristan had not been in Herriot's life at all?
Essay Topic 3
How did Herriot react to his wife going into labor, and why was this such an ironic situation?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)