|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What interfered with sewing the cow back up in Chapter 8?
(a) The calf wanted to nurse.
(b) The anesthesia wore off.
(c) The barn started leaking.
(d) The sun went down.
2. What was pushing the small farmers out of business?
(a) High land prices.
(b) Big farming.
(c) All of these.
3. What was wrong with the cow that was thought to have a broken leg?
(a) It had an infection.
(b) It had an inflamed knee.
(c) It had a hobnail.
(d) It had a split hoof.
4. Where was Helen when her labor for her daughter began?
(a) In the store.
(b) At a doctor's office.
(c) At her kitchen.
(d) In a movie theater.
5. What did Herriot do when he saw that the farmer at the beginning of the book had not fulfilled his promise?
(b) Left the farm.
(c) Charged extra.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of surgery did Herriot perform on a cow in Chapter 8?
2. What did Herriot use to cure a cow of a kidney disease in Chapter 10?
3. What was the name of Herriot's partner?
4. Why did Herriot hesitate to treat the dog in Chapter 2?
5. How did Herriot feel about the accommodations for the animals on his first trip?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Herriot want to see most in Russia, and why?
2. Who was Crooks, and how did he show his admiration for Herriot?
3. Why did Herriot take a ship to Russia?
4. What did Miss Grantley use the clinic for?
5. How was the bull with the stomach tumor controlled in Chapter 6?
6. What surprises Herriot about the cow he performed a Cesarian section on?
7. How did Miss Grantley show which of the people at the clinic she liked the most?
8. What did the man in Chapter 2 think was wrong with his dog?
9. How did the Mongolian Russians feel when they were captured, and why?
10. What caused Herriot to threaten to not take his son on any more calls?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)