|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Herriot hesitate to treat the dog in Chapter 2?
(a) He didn't believe the dog was sick.
(b) He knew he would not get paid.
(c) He didn't like the owner.
(d) He disapproved of the races.
2. Why did Herriot talk badly to his student in Chapter 8?
(a) He knew little about the surgery.
(b) He made a simple mistake.
(c) He lied to Herriot.
(d) He left half way through the surgery.
3. What did Herriot realize had not changed when he returned to veterinary work?
(a) His clientelle.
(b) His clinic.
(c) His partner.
(d) His methods.
4. What was wrong with the cow that was thought to have a broken leg?
(a) It had a hobnail.
(b) It had a split hoof.
(c) It had an inflamed knee.
(d) It had an infection.
5. What occupation did Herriot have before this book?
(a) Doctor's assistant.
6. How did the Mongolian Russians feel when they were captured?
7. What was wrong with Bret Kealy's daughter's animal after it gave birth?
(a) It didn't have milk.
(b) It didn't recognize its own young.
(c) It lost too much blood.
(d) It stopped breathing.
8. What did Herriot do to get Josh's dog to start breathing?
(a) Whirled him around by the tail.
(b) Blew in his nostrils.
(c) Patted his back.
(d) Gave him a shot.
9. What did Herriot have to do after treating the cow that was thought to have a broken leg?
(a) Corral calves.
(b) Castrate a bull.
(c) Inseminate the cow.
(d) Fix a gate.
10. Who set up Herriot's first trip of the book?
(a) A former student.
(b) A brother-in-law.
(c) A farmer.
(d) A local travel agent.
11. What did Herriot say he would have done had he been present for his daughter's birth?
(a) Gotten angry with the doctor.
(b) Passed out.
(c) All of these.
12. How did Herriot describe his first impression of his daughter?
13. How did Herriot try to get to Bret Kealy's farm?
(a) He walked on foot.
(b) He paddled a canoe.
(c) He used skis.
(d) He drove his car.
14. Why does the cow in Chapter 8 need a surgery?
(a) She has mad cow disease.
(b) She has an infected cut.
(c) She has a growing tumor.
(d) She is giving birth to a large calf.
15. How did Herriot describe most of his meals on the ship to Russia?
(a) Grand quality.
(b) Military quality.
(c) Prison quality.
(d) Chef quality.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Herriot's partner want a spare of for the clinic?
2. What major injury did a cow sustain in Chapter 6?
3. What did Herriot's student accidentally cut open during the surgery in Chapter 8?
4. How did Herriot want his stories to feel to the reader?
5. Where was Helen when her labor for her daughter began?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)