|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Moitessier's reaction to civilization again?
2. What was Moitessier thinking about his competitors when he rounded Cape Horn?
3. What was Moitessier trying to avoid as he approached Cape Horn?
4. Who helped Moitessier when he was in Singapore and his boat needed a caulk job?
5. How much did sails for Moitessier's boat cost in 1968?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the mysterious glowing balls Moitessier encountered.
2. Describe Moitessier's encounter with another boat as he approached Capetown.
3. Why did Moitessier sail the capes in the order he did?
4. Why did Moitessier ultimately decide not to round Cape Horn again?
5. Describe what Moitessier found when he reached Tahiti.
6. What maintenance did Moitessier do after he passed the Falklands?
7. What had Moitessier's friends done to develop Tahiti themselves?
8. What did Moitessier do that was dangerous but also exhilarating?
9. What was Moitessier reading as he approached Cape Horn?
10. What earlier trip did Moitessier think back to as he was rounding Cape Horn?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was the cultural atmosphere of England in 1968, and what were the cultural reasons that would lead Moitessier or any other person to want to be alone on a boat, braving the elements, in order to get away from that civilization? Describe the historical context for Moitessier's entry into the race.
Essay Topic 2
What was Moitessier's relationship with his wife like? What does his solo round-the-world trip tell us about his views of marriage and intimacy? What role did his wife play in his solitude?
Essay Topic 3
Was Moitessier's decision to abandon the race and head to Tahiti to see friends predicted in anything Moitessier said in the early part of the book? Was he being self-consistent, or did he discover something that changed his mind, to keep sailing to Tahiti?
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)