|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Moitessier do when the barometer dropped as Moitessier approached Cape Horn?
2. What did Moitessier call civilization?
3. What book was Moitessier reading in which characters debated a passage in the Bible?
4. What was Moitessier pondering after rounding Cape Horn?
5. What did Moitessier see as he approached Cape Horn?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Moitessier think about civilization as he approached Tahiti?
2. Describe Moitessier's self-steering system, and when he would use it.
3. What had Moitessier's friends done to develop Tahiti themselves?
4. What maintenance did Moitessier do after he passed the Falklands?
5. What earlier trip did Moitessier think back to as he was rounding Cape Horn?
6. What was Moitessier reading as he approached Cape Horn?
7. What path did Moitessier take approaching Cape Horn?
8. Describe what Moitessier found when he reached Tahiti.
9. Describe Moitessier's encounter with another boat as he approached Capetown.
10. Why did Moitessier ultimately decide not to round Cape Horn again?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Moitessier's history as a sailor, and characterize the place this trip had in his development as a sailor. What, if anything, was he intent on learning or proving by making this trip?
Essay Topic 2
What metaphors and symbols did Moitessier use to describe his trip, and what do his descriptions and metaphors tell us about his view of society and solitude and of man's relationship to society and to the universe? Describe Moitessier's philosophy and world view through analysis of his language and metaphors.
Essay Topic 3
What was the cultural atmosphere of England in 1968, and what were the cultural reasons that would lead Moitessier or any other person to want to be alone on a boat, braving the elements, in order to get away from that civilization? Describe the historical context for Moitessier's entry into the race.
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)