|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was the boat when Moitessier woke up from his sleep?
2. What did Moitessier remember his Chinese nursemaid telling him about as a child?
3. In which ocean was Moitessier knocked down twice?
4. How did Moitessier think of the bulldozers and concrete mixers?
5. What did the letters have to say about the danger Moitessier faced as he rounded Cape Horn?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Moitessier dream after he passed the Falklands?
2. What path did Moitessier take approaching Cape Horn?
3. What did Moitessier think about civilization as he approached Tahiti?
4. Why did Moitessier ultimately decide not to round Cape Horn again?
5. Describe Moitessier's self-steering system, and when he would use it.
6. What was Moitessier reading as he approached Cape Horn?
7. Describe the mysterious glowing balls Moitessier encountered.
8. What maintenance did Moitessier do after he passed the Falklands?
9. Describe Moitessier's idea of the unknown helper.
10. Describe the weather as Moitessier was approaching Cape Horn.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways did wildlife become a surrogate society for Moitessier, and in what ways was he still a loner, separate even from the birds and fish? Was Moitessier's relationship with the birds imaginary, as in his visit from the Fairy Tern, or was it simply materialistic, that the birds sought his boat for a place to rest? How would you characterize his relationship with the animals?
Essay Topic 2
Moitessier has a number of dreams and imaginings during the course of his trip. Do his dreams reveal conflicts that are not resolved in his waking life? Does Moitessier seem to be self-integrated, or is he hiding things from himself?
Essay Topic 3
What was the cultural atmosphere of England in 1968, and what were the cultural reasons that would lead Moitessier or any other person to want to be alone on a boat, braving the elements, in order to get away from that civilization? Describe the historical context for Moitessier's entry into the race.
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)