|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Moitessier learn sailing junks as a youth?
2. How did Moitessier celebrate his birthday?
3. How did Moitessier keep track of his route?
4. What port did Moitessier waver about approaching?
5. What kind of boat did Nigel sail?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Moitessier's relationship with the seabirds.
2. How did Moitessier plan to communicate at sea?
3. Describe Moitessier's voyage after rounding the Cape of Good Hope.
4. How did Moitessier celebrate Christmas 1968?
5. What event does his interaction with the freighter make Moitessier think back to?
6. What dangers did Moitessier avoid as he neared Tasmania?
7. What were Moitessier's Christmas meditations?
8. What was Moitessier's purpose for sailing close to the coast of South Africa?
9. Describe the fish that followed Moitessier's boat.
10. What legend did Moitessier think about after his incident with the porpoises?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the plot of The Long Way. How does Moitessier maintain dramatic tension in order to keep a reader interested and curious about the scene and what will come next? How does he balance the need to interest a reader with the desire to slow down and meditate and consider the meaning of things?
Essay Topic 2
What is the importance of Moitessier's boat being named Joshua? What kind of personality did this ascribe to his ship, and what kind of companion did he have in a boat named Joshua? Did he practice personification in other places, or was the Joshua the only named companion he had in the 10-month journey? What does this tell us about how Moitessier related to other people?
Essay Topic 3
Moitessier was only able to build the Joshua because of money he had made from the proceeds of his book Vagabond of the Southern Seas. In what ways is The Long Way consistent with Vagabond and in what ways does it mark a progression for Moitessier? What had he learned by the time he wrote The Long Way?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)