|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Moitessier hit the doldrums?
2. How much water did Moitessier capture after rounding the Cape of Good Hope?
3. Why did Moitessier decide to sail close to South Africa?
4. Why did Moitessier keep his sails reefed after rounding the Cape of Good Hope?
5. What did Moitessier think the porpoises were trying to tell him as he passed New Zealand?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Moitessier's passage past New Zealand.
2. What did Moitessier know about his competitors after rounding the Cape of Good Hope?
3. What was the old Taicong legend that Moitessier recalled when he was approaching Cape of Leeuwin?
4. Who was the Taicong, and how did he work?
5. How did Moitessier make repairs to his boat after the accident?
6. Describe the fish that followed Moitessier's boat.
7. What were Moitessier's Christmas meditations?
8. Describe the harbor where Moitessier arrived in Trinidad.
9. What was Moitessier's reason for stopping in Trinidad?
10. What event does his interaction with the freighter make Moitessier think back to?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the plot of The Long Way. How does Moitessier maintain dramatic tension in order to keep a reader interested and curious about the scene and what will come next? How does he balance the need to interest a reader with the desire to slow down and meditate and consider the meaning of things?
Essay Topic 2
Sailing is famously a rich man's sport. What was Moitessier's relationship with money and status? Was he hypocritical by sailing his own boat into Tahiti only to criticize wealthy developers and modern technology?
Essay Topic 3
What is the importance of Moitessier's boat being named Joshua? What kind of personality did this ascribe to his ship, and what kind of companion did he have in a boat named Joshua? Did he practice personification in other places, or was the Joshua the only named companion he had in the 10-month journey? What does this tell us about how Moitessier related to other people?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)