|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what purpose did Moitessier put on his wetsuit?
(a) Fending off icebergs.
(c) Weathering a snowstorm.
(d) Scraping barnacles.
2. What had conditions been like when Moitessier approached Cape Horn with his wife on an earlier voyage?
3. How did Moitessier make money to finance his sailing?
(a) By taking charters.
(b) By writing about his sailing.
(c) By performing repairs on other ships.
(d) By working for short stints in port.
4. What did Moitessier find when he reached the Galapagos Islands?
(a) Seals and penguins.
(b) A research station.
(c) A small town.
(d) Seal hunters' shacks.
5. Where did Moitessier go with the other sailors when the weather was bad?
(a) Sail out to sea.
(b) The harbor inside the concrete quay.
(c) Stay put.
(d) Sail to another harbor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Moitessier dream about as he approached Cape Horn?
2. What did Moitessier begin to use as he approached Cape Horn?
3. What book was Moitessier reading in which characters debated a passage in the Bible?
4. What are reef points?
5. What mistake did Moitessier make that caused him to be knocked down in the Pacific?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Moitessier's rounding of Cape Horn.
2. Describe Moitessier's encounter with another boat as he approached Capetown.
3. Describe Moitessier's attempt to give word of his progress in the Falklands.
4. Describe the weather as Moitessier was approaching Cape Horn.
5. Describe the mysterious glowing balls Moitessier encountered.
6. What is heaving-to?
7. What did Moitessier dream after he passed the Falklands?
8. What had Moitessier's friends done to develop Tahiti themselves?
9. Why did Moitessier ultimately decide not to round Cape Horn again?
10. What maintenance did Moitessier do after he passed the Falklands?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)