|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was Moitessier tempted to stop in Capetown?
(a) The Yacht Club.
(b) An old lover's house.
(c) A friend's house.
(d) His in-laws' house.
2. How is Moitessier progressing when he enters the Pacific Ocean?
(a) At a good pace.
(b) At record speed.
(c) Very slowly.
3. What are reef points?
(a) The moment in a gale when he would reef sails.
(b) Lines to reduce sail area.
(c) Buoys that mark reefs.
(d) The point at which the mast hits the water in a knockdown.
4. When Moitessier thinks about a crew that ran out of water, what did he remember them trying to survive on?
(a) Plankton and krill.
(b) Ice and fish.
(c) Dew from the sails.
(d) Flying fish.
5. What book was Moitessier reading in which characters debated a passage in the Bible?
(a) The Octopus.
(b) East of Eden.
(c) Their Eyes Were Watching God.
(d) Around the World in 180 Days.
Short Answer Questions
1. What had conditions been like when Moitessier approached Cape Horn with his wife on an earlier voyage?
2. What danger was Moitessier on the lookout for as he passed Cape Horn?
3. What did Moitessier do when the barometer dropped as Moitessier approached Cape Horn?
4. What was Moitessier pondering after rounding Cape Horn?
5. What was the danger of sailing the way Moitessier sailed as he approached Cape Horn?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Moitessier's idea of the unknown helper.
2. What had Moitessier's friends done to develop Tahiti themselves?
3. Describe the weather as Moitessier was approaching Cape Horn.
4. What was Moitessier thinking about as he reached the path of his original transit from Trinidad to the Cape of Good Hope?
5. What did Moitessier dream after he passed the Falklands?
6. Why did Moitessier ultimately decide not to round Cape Horn again?
7. How much ice did Moitessier see on his trip around Cape Horn?
8. What is heaving-to?
9. What was Moitessier thinking about in his reading of Steinbeck's East of Eden?
10. Why did Moitessier sail the capes in the order he did?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)