|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Moitessier have this fear about making this mistake?
(a) He had lost a previous race because of this mistake.
(b) A similar mistake had almost wrecked him on a previous voyage.
(c) He had run aground by making a similar mistake.
(d) A friend of his had been killed by making the same mistake.
2. What did Moitessier do when he was about 300 miles from the Cape of Good Hope?
(a) Stop for supplies.
(b) Transmit his location to a passing ship.
(c) Stop for repairs.
(d) Throw stuff overboard to lighten the ship.
3. What did Moitessier fantasize about at Christmas?
(a) Human charity.
(b) Being at his childhood home.
(c) Peace with rats.
(d) Being with his wife.
4. What did Moitessier do to ride out bad weather?
(b) Drop all sail.
5. How far from Vietnam was Moitessier when he picked up Vietnamese radio?
(a) Thousands of miles.
(b) Two hundred miles.
(c) Ten miles.
(d) Thirty miles.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Moitessier get close to other ships?
2. Where had Moitessier sailed a junk?
3. What did Moitessier use to increase leverage when he was making repairs?
4. What kind of boat did Nigel sail?
5. Why did Moitessier decide to sail close to South Africa?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Moitessier plan to communicate at sea?
2. What was Moitessier's reason for stopping in Trinidad?
3. What event does his interaction with the freighter make Moitessier think back to?
4. How did Moitessier celebrate Christmas 1968?
5. What was Moitessier afraid of after rounding the Cape of Good Hope?
6. Who was the Taicong, and how did he work?
7. Where did Moitessier get his water?
8. Describe the conditions during Moitessier's approach to Trinidad.
9. Describe Moitessier's progress after leaving England.
10. How did Moitessier make repairs to his boat after the accident?
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)