|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What parallel did Moitessier steer by as he headed to Cape Horn?
(a) The 38th parallel.
(b) The 48th parallel.
(c) The 42nd parallel.
(d) The 63rd parallel.
2. What did Moitessier look for as he approached Cape Horn?
(a) Other ships.
(b) The Southern Cross.
(c) A gale.
3. What were the glowing balls Moitessier saw on the staysail and in the sea?
(a) Dead squid.
(b) Small fish.
4. Who helped Moitessier when he was in Singapore and his boat needed a caulk job?
(a) A friend from Australia.
(b) An unknown stranger.
(c) The Pope.
(d) His wife.
5. What were conditions like as Moitessier was approaching Capetown for the second time?
(b) Moderate winds but strong seas.
(c) Fine sailing weather.
6. Where did Moitessier finally dock his boat?
(a) In the undeveloped part of the harbor.
(b) Outside of the harbor.
(c) Inside the concrete quay.
(d) Alongside an American destroyer.
7. What did Moitessier toss to a small launch?
(a) His resignation from the race.
(b) Film and photos.
(c) His log books and notes.
(d) Letters to his family.
8. In which ocean was Moitessier knocked down twice?
(a) Indian Ocean.
(b) Atlantic Ocean.
(c) Arctic Ocean.
(d) Pacific Ocean.
9. What did Moitessier do when the barometer dropped as Moitessier approached Cape Horn?
(a) Reefed the main.
(b) Raised the staysail.
(c) Lowered the genoa.
(d) Eased the mizzen.
10. What land did Moitessier find as he rounded Cape Horn?
(a) Isla Wolleston.
(b) Isla Caroline.
(c) Diego Ramirez.
(d) Cabo de Hornos.
11. What was Moitessier thinking about his competitors when he rounded Cape Horn?
(a) How much food they had.
(b) How much water they had.
(c) Whether they had been faster.
(d) Whether they had made it.
12. What did Moitessier dream about as he approached Cape Horn?
(a) Rocky shores.
(b) Ice floes.
(d) Fresh vegetables.
13. What did Moitessier call civilization?
(a) The Monster.
(b) The Sewer.
(c) The Noise.
(d) The Squalor.
14. What had conditions been like when Moitessier approached Cape Horn with his wife on an earlier voyage?
15. What is pitch-poling?
(a) Capsizing front-first.
(b) Putting the wind dead astern.
(c) Using a spar to hold out the sails in light air.
(d) Capsizing side-first.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Moitessier use Vaseline on his boat?
2. What did Moitessier feel accused of, now that he was back in civilization?
3. What did Moitessier say freak waves are sometimes caused by?
4. How long would Moitessier's water have lasted him?
5. When Moitessier thinks about a crew that ran out of water, what did he remember them trying to survive on?
This section contains 424 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)