|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what ways did Moitessier recognize that he had benefited by civilization?
(a) His steel-hulled boat.
(c) Modern rations.
2. Why did Moitessier ultimately decide not to round another cape?
(a) He wanted to see some friends.
(b) He had been knocked down too many times.
(c) He was running out of food.
(d) He was tired of fighting storms.
3. What organization did Moitessier become involved with after he and his friends had to move from their part of the harbor?
(a) Weather Underground.
(b) Friends of the Earth.
(d) The Sierra Club.
4. What had conditions been like when Moitessier approached Cape Horn with his wife on an earlier voyage?
5. When Moitessier thinks about a crew that ran out of water, what did he remember them trying to survive on?
(a) Dew from the sails.
(b) Ice and fish.
(c) Plankton and krill.
(d) Flying fish.
6. What did Moitessier find when he reached the Galapagos Islands?
(a) A research station.
(b) Seal hunters' shacks.
(c) A small town.
(d) Seals and penguins.
7. Where did Moitessier go with the other sailors when the weather was bad?
(a) Sail to another harbor.
(b) The harbor inside the concrete quay.
(c) Stay put.
(d) Sail out to sea.
8. What did Moitessier call civilization?
(a) The Squalor.
(b) The Sewer.
(c) The Monster.
(d) The Noise.
9. Who did Moitessier tell himself the figure in his daydream really was?
(a) The Fairy Tern who guides sailors.
(b) The brutality of the ocean that destroys people.
(c) The monster in the unconscious who leads men astray.
(d) The wealth of the ocean who supports people.
10. Where was Moitessier tempted to stop in Capetown?
(a) His in-laws' house.
(b) An old lover's house.
(c) A friend's house.
(d) The Yacht Club.
11. What did Moitessier dream about as he approached Cape Horn?
(a) Ice floes.
(c) Fresh vegetables.
(d) Rocky shores.
12. What did Moitessier begin to use as he approached Cape Horn?
(a) The radio.
(d) A safety harness.
13. What book was Moitessier reading in which characters debated a passage in the Bible?
(a) Their Eyes Were Watching God.
(b) Around the World in 180 Days.
(c) The Octopus.
(d) East of Eden.
14. What did Moitessier dream about after rounding Cape Horn?
(a) Communicating with friends.
(b) His childhood friends.
(c) His wife's father.
(d) Having a baby.
15. In which ocean was Moitessier knocked down twice?
(a) Arctic Ocean.
(b) Atlantic Ocean.
(c) Pacific Ocean.
(d) Indian Ocean.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Moitessier try to do but not do in the Falkland Islands?
2. How often did Moitessier use the self-steering device?
3. What did Moitessier fear about going back to civilization?
4. What were Moitessier's sails made of?
5. Where was the boat when Moitessier woke up from his sleep?
This section contains 478 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)