|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were the conditions when Moitessier passed the Cape Agulhas lighthouse?
(a) The winds were inconsistent.
(b) The seas were heavy.
(c) There was dead calm.
(d) The wind was bad for going east.
2. What was Moitessier running low on after rounding the Cape of Good Hope?
(a) Cooking fuel.
3. What happened to the fisherman who got magic powers when he saved a talking fish in the story?
(a) He was drowned when he tried to follow the fish.
(b) He married the woman the fish turned into.
(c) He became a fish as well.
(d) He lost his powers when he asked for too much.
4. How did Moitessier communicate for the first time with another ship?
(a) By signal flags.
(b) By radio.
(c) By semaphore.
(d) By Morse code.
5. How did Moitessier try to communicate his condition?
(a) By putting messages in bottles.
(b) By radio.
(c) By making two little boats with messages.
(d) By stopping in an Australian port.
6. What was Moitessier's wife's name?
7. What did Moitessier fantasize about at Christmas?
(a) Being at his childhood home.
(b) Peace with rats.
(c) Being with his wife.
(d) Human charity.
8. What did Moitessier hope was communicated from his contact with the town in Trinidad?
(a) The message he passed to the boat that came to meet him.
(b) The film he dropped off.
(c) The message he communicated with Morse code.
(d) The letters on his sail.
9. What mechanical device did Moitessier use to make his more involved repairs?
(a) A wheel.
(b) A fulcrum.
(c) A windlass.
(d) A pulley system.
10. What allowed Moitessier's ship to sail so quickly?
(a) Its revolutionary design.
(b) Its light weight.
(c) Its extraordinary sail area.
(d) The calm weather.
11. What did Moitessier avoid off the coast of Tasmania?
(b) A gale.
(c) A reef and a rock.
12. What was dangerous about what Moitessier was thinking about south of Australia?
(a) Passing close to Tasmania.
(b) Passing too close to Antarctica.
(c) Sharks around the Barrier Reef.
(d) Getting caught in a typhoon.
13. What did Moitessier see when he first spied the town in Trinidad?
(a) People gathering to watch him sail by.
(b) People working.
(c) No activity ashore.
(d) People fixing fishing nets.
14. What voyage did Moitessier think back to as he was approaching Tasmania?
(a) Cruising the Gulf of Siam.
(b) Cruising in the Mediterranean.
(c) Cruising the Bay of Fundy.
(d) Cruising the Indian Ocean.
15. How was Moitessier going to communicate with others during the race?
(a) By relaying messages through other ships.
(b) By leaving messages in bottles.
(c) By passing certain ports.
(d) By leaving messages in different ports.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Moitessier typically sleep in good conditions?
2. When did Moitessier begin to prepare for his trip around the world?
3. What damage did Moitessier suffer at 31 degrees latitude?
4. What did Moitessier fantasize about after passing Tasmania?
5. What kind of boat did Nigel sail?
This section contains 488 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)