|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Moitessier think back to on Christmas?
(a) Sailing in England.
(b) Having ham at home.
(c) Killing a rat in Tahiti.
(d) Having Christmas with his wife.
2. What did Moitessier ultimately pass to the freighter?
(a) An update on his condition.
(b) A package.
(c) A message.
3. What gift did Moitessier accept from journalists?
(c) A camera.
(d) A transmitter.
4. Where did Moitessier ask for his package to be taken?
(a) To the Lloyd's agency.
(b) To the London Daily Mail.
(c) To the Hobart Yacht Club.
(d) To the Devonport Post.
5. What did Moitessier see after passing Tasmania?
(b) The mountains of South New Zealand.
6. What was Moitessier's yacht named?
7. When did Moitessier begin to prepare for his trip around the world?
8. What book of the Bible did Moitessier meditate on at Christmas?
9. What allowed Moitessier's ship to sail so quickly?
(a) Its extraordinary sail area.
(b) The calm weather.
(c) Its light weight.
(d) Its revolutionary design.
10. What kind of birds did Moitessier see on his way to the Cape of Leeuwin?
11. What mechanical device did Moitessier use to make his more involved repairs?
(a) A windlass.
(b) A wheel.
(c) A pulley system.
(d) A fulcrum.
12. What did Moitessier think the porpoises were trying to tell him as he passed New Zealand?
(a) To have dinner.
(b) To pay attention.
(c) To turn right.
(d) To turn north.
13. Which of the following were NOT friends of Moitessier's who were also sailing in the race?
(a) Bill King,
(d) Nigel Tetley.
14. Where did Moitessier recall having sailed in earlier days?
(d) Siam (Thailand).
15. How long before a voyage would the weather interpreter gather information about the weather?
(a) Three days.
(b) Six hours.
(c) Three weeks.
(d) Three hours.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Moitessier try to determine whether there was a gale coming as he approached Australia?
2. What were the conditions when Moitessier passed the Cape Agulhas lighthouse?
3. Why did Moitessier have this fear about making this mistake?
4. What did Moitessier fantasize about after passing Tasmania?
5. Where did Moitessier hit the doldrums?
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)