|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Day learn a lot about while working with the Red Cross?
(b) War strategies
(c) Financial responsibilities
2. What surprised Day about her living expenses in New York?
(a) She could live cheaply
(b) It could cost a lot more to live there
(c) The prices were similar to Chicago
(d) The government covered a lot of them
3. How did Day feel about God in her youth?
(a) She never thought about Him
(b) She loved Him
(c) She took Him for granted
(d) She was afraid of Him
4. What happened to some of Day’s friends when the draft was put in place?
(a) They left the country
(b) They killed themselves
(c) They went to prison
(d) They went to war
5. Where did Day stay when first attending Mass?
(a) The back of the room
(b) The doorway
(c) The stairs
(d) The middle pew
6. What kind of people ran The Masses?
7. When Day was in prison, what did she say really kept her from being free?
(a) Being in love with two men
(b) Having two opposing beliefs
(c) Being away from her family
(d) Knowing others were suffering
8. What kind of things did Day work to change when she first moved to New York?
(a) Opposing wars
(b) Stopping evictions
(c) Building schools
(d) Lowering wages
9. How did Day feel about her baby brother?
(a) She ignored him
(b) She was annoyed by him
(c) She often took care of him
(d) She wished he hadn't been born
10. What philosophy was Day’s first as a child?
(a) The philosophy of faith
(b) The philosophy of work
(c) The philosophy of love
(d) The philosophy of service
11. How many siblings did Day have?
12. What natural disaster did Day live through?
13. How old was Day when she began reading John Wesley?
14. Who did Day serve after living through a natural disaster?
(d) Poor people
15. Where was Day living when she published her first book?
(a) New Orleans
(b) New York
(c) New Jersey
(d) New Mexico
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Day feel when listening to Mary’s stories?
2. What Revolution did Day celebrate?
3. What comforted Day the most while in prison?
4. Why did the people at the New York Call rarely attack religion?
5. When did Day say man was most himself?
This section contains 416 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)