|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Day meet Trotsky?
(b) Washington, D.C.
(c) New York
(d) New Orleans
2. What made Day feel rushed at confession?
(a) A busy schedule
(b) The tired priest
(c) Her long list of sins
(d) Long lines
3. Who did Day try to help when she joined the Red Cross?
(a) Wounded soldiers
(c) The widows
(d) The doctors
4. What were the owners of The Masses suffering from?
(a) Their isolation
(b) Their poverty
(c) Their drinking
(d) Their radicalism
5. What kind of funeral did Rayna have?
6. What jarred Day’s senses in New York when she first moved there?
(a) All the people
(b) The constant sound
(c) All of the things listed here
(d) The poverty
7. What surprised Day about her living expenses in New York?
(a) The prices were similar to Chicago
(b) The government covered a lot of them
(c) It could cost a lot more to live there
(d) She could live cheaply
8. What was Day strip-searched for?
(c) Coded messages
9. How long was the first part of Day’s life?
(a) 20 years
(b) 15 years
(c) 25 years
(d) 10 years
10. Who did Mary tell Day stories about?
(c) Her relatives
11. Why did the people at the New York Call rarely attack religion?
(a) They knew their audience
(b) It was sacred
(c) They were indifferent
(d) They knew too little about it
12. Where did Day get her first rosary?
(a) In the yard of the Church
(b) From a priest
(c) From a friend
(d) At a pawnshop
13. What kind of things did Day work to change when she first moved to New York?
(a) Stopping evictions
(b) Lowering wages
(c) Building schools
(d) Opposing wars
14. What did Day NOT want to rely on while suffering in prison?
(a) Other women
(b) Their future
(d) Her beliefs
15. What Catholic principal was Day’s societal philosophies similar to?
(a) The Law of Hierarchy
(b) The Law of Distribution
(c) The Law of Consecration
(d) The Law of Chastity
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the first church Day attended?
2. What kind of stories did Day like to hear as a child?
3. At what age did Day start going to church as a child?
4. What was Day’s job at the New York Call?
5. Who did Day serve after living through a natural disaster?
This section contains 369 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)