|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Roger ask Marlowe?
2. What is the woman next door trying to poison?
3. What does Candy say is the only thing he drinks?
4. What alcoholic beverage does Roger drink?
5. What does Ashterfelt claim Lennox was wearing in New York?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Eileen say about her relationship with Roger in the fifth section?
2. Summarize the story Eileen tells in Section 8.
3. How does Marlowe react to Eileen's story?
4. What dilemma does Eileen pose for Marlowe in section six?
5. What does Roger say about killing a man in Section 6?
6. What happens to Roger a week after the cocktail party?
7. What does Marlowe learn from the police in Section 7?
8. How does Marlowe prove Candy to be a liar in Section 7?
9. Why does Marlowe think Eileen is lying about the insignia?
10. What does Mendez tell Marlowe in Section 8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the effects of the Second World War in 1940s and 1950s America.
1) In what way does WWII cast a shadow over the novel and its characters?
2) Choose one of the characters in the novel and write what effect the students think WWII had on his/her mindset.
Essay Topic 2
Compare the characters of Marlowe and Eileen.
1) In what way are their morals different?
2) What is their relationship to each other?
3) Do you think they are the perfect match?
Essay Topic 3
The Long Goodbye is a famous book which has greatly influenced modern literature. Choose a book written after the novel that you think was influenced by it and discuss their similarities in terms of:
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)