|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Roger think was trying to kill him?
2. What kind of weapon does Candy prove that he is skilled with?
3. Where does Marlowe find Roger dead?
4. What does Eileen ask Marlowe to do for her?
5. What has Roger asked Marlowe to destroy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What new evidence does Roy Ashterfelt give Marlowe in Section 7?
2. How does Marlowe react to Roger's death?
3. How does Ohls think Roger was killed?
4. What dilemma does Eileen pose for Marlowe in section six?
5. Why does Candy try and blackmail Marlowe in Section 6?
6. What does Marlowe say about private investigators in Section 5?
7. Who does Eileen say she was in love with when she was younger?
8. What does Roger say about killing a man in Section 6?
9. Why does Eileen think Marlowe could help Roger?
10. What does Eileen say about her relationship with Roger in the fifth section?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Chandler's writing style. How would you describe Chandler's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? Does he use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Chandler's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 2
What makes Marlowe a good private eye? Is Marlowe right when he says most Private Eyes finish broke or dead? How do the students think Marlowe manages to keep afloat?
Essay Topic 3
Examine violence in the novel.
1) How do the characters in the novel view violence? Are there characters that would think twice before shooting or hitting someone?
2) Do the characters need to be violent to cope in the world that Chandler portrays?
3) How do the students think the public reacted to the novel's violence when it was first published? How would the public react to such a book today?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)