|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Eileen ask Marlowe to do for her?
2. Where does Marlowe say he knows Ohls from?
3. Where did Eileen throw Roger's bloody clothes?
4. What does Chick say he has of Linda's?
5. Who does Marlowe say are the two main suspects for killing Roger?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Eileen say she was in love with when she was younger?
2. What does Roger say to Marlowe at the party in section 5?
3. What does Roger tell Marlowe about Terry in Section 7?
4. How does Ohls think Roger was killed?
5. What does Marlowe say about private investigators in Section 5?
6. Why does Candy try and blackmail Marlowe in Section 6?
7. How do the police respond to Marlowe's statement?
8. What does Marlowe learn from the police in Section 7?
9. How does Marlowe react to Roger's death?
10. Why does Marlowe think Eileen and Roger are wresting over a gun in the sixth section?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do the students think Marlowe is so indifferent about everyone's death apart from Terry's? What does Marlowe's attitude suggest about his attitude towards his own life? In what way does Chandler suggest that Marlowe's attitude is shared with the other characters in the book? What does Chandler's representation of death say about American society in the Fifties?
Essay Topic 2
Compare the characters of Marlowe and Eileen.
1) In what way are their morals different?
2) What is their relationship to each other?
3) Do you think they are the perfect match?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the effects of the Second World War in 1940s and 1950s America.
1) In what way does WWII cast a shadow over the novel and its characters?
2) Choose one of the characters in the novel and write what effect the students think WWII had on his/her mindset.
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)