|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Eileen ask Marlowe to do for her?
2. Who does Eileen dream about?
3. What does Dr. Loring tell Roger to do?
4. What does Dr. Loring slap Roger with?
5. What does Marlowe find on the wastepaper basket?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Marlowe think Eileen is lying about the insignia?
2. Why does Candy try and blackmail Marlowe in Section 6?
3. How does Ohls think Roger was killed?
4. How does Marlowe react to Roger's death?
5. What does Marlowe learn from the police in Section 7?
6. What do Marlowe and Eileen say to each other before Marlowe leaves the house?
7. Why is Marlowe concerned about Eileen's reaction to her husband's injury?
8. Who does Eileen say she was in love with when she was younger?
9. What does Mendez tell Marlowe in Section 8?
10. What does Roger tell Marlowe about Terry in Section 7?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do the students think Marlowe is so indifferent about everyone's death apart from Terry's? What does Marlowe's attitude suggest about his attitude towards his own life? In what way does Chandler suggest that Marlowe's attitude is shared with the other characters in the book? What does Chandler's representation of death say about American society in the Fifties?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Chandler's writing style. How would you describe Chandler's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? Does he use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Chandler's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Chandler's life. In what way do you think his life and personality are reflected in the book?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)