|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does George Peters say he will do for 300 bucks?
2. What does Marlowe tell Menendez?
3. Who does Eileen say she wanted to kill together?
4. What does Chick say he has of Linda's?
5. Who does Eileen call to the house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Marlowe learn from the police in Section 7?
2. What do Marlowe and Eileen say to each other before Marlowe leaves the house?
3. What does Roger tell Marlowe about Terry in Section 7?
4. What does Roger say about killing a man in Section 6?
5. What new evidence does Roy Ashterfelt give Marlowe in Section 7?
6. How does Marlowe prove Candy to be a liar in Section 7?
7. What does Marlowe say about private investigators in Section 5?
8. Why does Marlowe think Eileen and Roger are wresting over a gun in the sixth section?
9. How does Marlowe react to Roger's death?
10. How does Marlowe react to Eileen's story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Marlowe's friendship with Terry.
1) Why does Marlowe feel so close to Terry? Does Chandler develop their friendship enough for Marlowe's feeling to seem authentic?
2) In what does Marlowe's friendship with Terry show a different side to Marlowe?
Essay Topic 2
What makes Marlowe a good private eye? Is Marlowe right when he says most Private Eyes finish broke or dead? How do the students think Marlowe manages to keep afloat?
Essay Topic 3
Examine violence in the novel.
1) How do the characters in the novel view violence? Are there characters that would think twice before shooting or hitting someone?
2) Do the characters need to be violent to cope in the world that Chandler portrays?
3) How do the students think the public reacted to the novel's violence when it was first published? How would the public react to such a book today?
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)