|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Terry say his wife is scared for?
2. Where did Terry board the second plane?
3. What is Spencer's job?
4. Who rings Marlowe's doorbell at 5 am?
5. What kind of files does Marlowe ask for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Verringer tell Marlowe in this section?
2. Describe the confrontation between Marlowe and Menendez in the third section.
3. How does Eileen respond to Marlowe kissing her?
4. How does Marlowe think the case will pan out?
5. What does Spencer hire Marlowe to do?
6. Describe between Marlowe and the police in Chapter 6.
7. Why does Marlowe not want to know everything when Terry comes to his house crying?
8. Describe Marlowe's time at the police station.
9. Why does Eileen want to hire Marlowe?
10. How does George Peters help Marlowe in the fourth section?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What makes Marlowe a good private eye? Is Marlowe right when he says most Private Eyes finish broke or dead? How do the students think Marlowe manages to keep afloat?
Essay Topic 2
The Long Goodbye is written in the first person and with Marlowe as narrator. Why do you think Chandler chose to write the story in the first person? How do you think the meaning of the story would have changed if it were written in the third person?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Chandler's writing style. How would you describe Chandler's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? Does he use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Chandler's style give to the story?
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)