|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marlowe say he has not had for three days?
2. What does Verringer demand from Roger?
3. What does Eileen hand to Marlowe?
4. Where did the officers find Marlowe's number written down?
5. What does Terry say in reply to the girl?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Marlowe help Terry in the opening chapter?
2. How does Marlowe antagonize Mr. Grenz in the second section?
3. How does Marlowe help Terry at the end of the section?
4. What does Terry say in his letter to Marlowe?
5. How does George Peters help Marlowe in the fourth section?
6. What does Lonnie say about the newspapers at the end of this section?
7. What does Grenz say has happened to Terry?
8. Why is Menendez angry at Terry?
9. What does Morgan think about Terry's death?
10. Describe between Marlowe and the police in Chapter 6.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine how the following was a concern in post war America and how Chandler expresses this concern:
2) The woman's role
Essay Topic 2
Examine Marlowe's friendship with Terry.
1) Why does Marlowe feel so close to Terry? Does Chandler develop their friendship enough for Marlowe's feeling to seem authentic?
2) In what does Marlowe's friendship with Terry show a different side to Marlowe?
Essay Topic 3
The Long Goodbye is written in the first person and with Marlowe as narrator. Why do you think Chandler chose to write the story in the first person? How do you think the meaning of the story would have changed if it were written in the third person?
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)