|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Verringer demand from Roger?
2. Where were Terry and Menendez when a missile landed next to them?
3. What does Terry say is the only thing he has left?
4. What does Earl do while he sits on the steps?
5. What does Eileen hand to Marlowe?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Morgan think about Terry's death?
2. How does Eileen respond to Marlowe kissing her?
3. How does Marlowe antagonize Mr. Grenz in the second section?
4. How does Menendez know Terry?
5. How does Marlowe help Terry in the opening chapter?
6. Why does Eileen want to hire Marlowe?
7. What does Terry say in his letter to Marlowe?
8. Describe the confrontation between Marlowe and Menendez in the third section.
9. What does Eileen give Marlowe to help him find Roger?
10. How does Marlowe think the case will pan out?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine how the following was a concern in post war America and how Chandler expresses this concern:
2) The woman's role
Essay Topic 2
Examine violence in the novel.
1) How do the characters in the novel view violence? Are there characters that would think twice before shooting or hitting someone?
2) Do the characters need to be violent to cope in the world that Chandler portrays?
3) How do the students think the public reacted to the novel's violence when it was first published? How would the public react to such a book today?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the novel's dialogue. How does Chandler's dialogue contribute to the following areas:
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)