|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is about to happen to Terry before Marlowe intervenes?
2. What is the name of the policeman who punched Marlowe?
3. Where did Menendez make his money during the war?
4. Why is Roger's wife scared of him?
5. What letter does the doctor's name begin with?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Eileen respond to Marlowe kissing her?
2. What questions does Marlowe ask Terry when they begin to see more of each other?
3. Why is Menendez angry at Terry?
4. How does George Peters help Marlowe in the fourth section?
5. What does Grenz say has happened to Terry?
6. What does Spencer hire Marlowe to do?
7. What information does Peters have about Terry?
8. Describe between Marlowe and the police in Chapter 6.
9. What do Terry and Marlowe plan in the opening section?
10. How does Menendez know Terry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the the character of Philip Marlowe and his influence on popular culture in terms of the following:
3) Comics and computer games
Essay Topic 2
The women in Chandler's books are mostly negative characters who lack morals. Discuss the negative way that Chandler represents women. Was this negative representation common during this period? How does this representation affect his portrayal of the male characters? How would Chandler have to change his portrayal of women for the novel to be published today?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the novel's dialogue. How does Chandler's dialogue contribute to the following areas:
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)