|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Sewell Endicott's job?
2. Who does Eileen question Marlowe about?
3. What name was Terry going under?
4. What does Eileen hand to Marlowe?
5. What does Marlowe believe is wrong with Earl?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Marlowe learn about Terry and Sylvia in this section?
2. What does Spencer hire Marlowe to do?
3. How does Marlowe help Terry at the end of the section?
4. Why does Marlowe have trouble sleeping in the third section?
5. What does Verringer tell Marlowe in this section?
6. What new information does Eileen give Marlowe in this section?
7. Why does Terry think his wife is scared?
8. How does Menendez know Terry?
9. Why does Eileen want to hire Marlowe?
10. What do Terry and Marlowe plan in the opening section?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the political side of the novel.
1) What does the book say about politics in America after World War II?
2) What were Chandler's political views and how does he express his views in the novel?
3) How did the 1973 film use Chandler's ideas to make a statement about 1970s society and politics?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the novel's dialogue. How does Chandler's dialogue contribute to the following areas:
Essay Topic 3
Pick a character from the novel and discuss his goals and motives. Does he achieve his motive? Does he share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do his goals clash with other characters? How do the characters' goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)