|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Odin, very little attention was given to _____ at Valhalla.
2. Neil asked Thor if he liked _____ when he delivered the Coca-Cola machine.
3. In Dirk's experience, what do crazy, pushy New York drivers explain to oncoming traffic as they careen out into the road?
4. What does Thor tell Odin he could not steal from his son?
5. When he is in the altercation with the eagle, Dirk considers _____.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dirk think of the subconscious mind?
2. How does Kate give Thor what he wants for his wounds?
3. What does the author imply has happened to the Draycotts at the end of the book?
4. What deliberate provocation does Thor precipitate toward Kate after his bath and how does Kate react?
5. What happens to Dirk when he jumps out of his house?
6. What does Sally Mills say about Dirk's appearance at the hospital?
7. What does the North Sea look like when Kate and Thor arrive in Asgard?
8. How does Dirk hurt himself as he tries to get into confront the eagle?
9. Where does Thor find Odin's contract and what happens when he tries to present the evidence in Valhalla?
10. Why is Dirk's impression of mail he gets from American Express paradoxical?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the evolution of the role of the gods in the book. What has been their roles in the past? Why have their roles changed? How have their powers changed?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the meaning of the title, "The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul".
Essay Topic 3
Explain how Dirk ends up at King's Cross station. What is he looking for that leads him there? What happens when he gets there?
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)