|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who delivers judgments on Dirk's I Ching calculator?
2. What is the boy wearing that Dirk encounters in the attic room?
3. What did Kate's neighbor steal from her that has injured their relationship?
4. What kind of car does Dirk have?
5. Who does Dirk call to get a new refrigerator?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Kate think of Dirk's appearance when she confronts him after the crash?
2. What does Dirk recall about an interview he read about Pugilism and the Third Autistic Cuckoo?
3. What does Dirk think of the 6:30 am meeting time that Anstey arranged for them?
4. How does Kate counter Mr. Standish's discussion of a Grand Unified Field Theory of Everything?
5. What does Dirk say of Kate's driving skills and how does he justify this observation?
6. What does Dirk say when Sally Mills accuses him of inquisitiveness and presumptuousness?
7. What does Odin's room look like at Woodshead?
8. What does Dirk do when Bates asks if he is going to pay for the newspaper he just took from his stand?
9. Why does Gilks think Anstey's death was a suicide?
10. Describe Kate's car and what condition it is in.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how the Coca-Cola machine is a recurrent motif in the story. Where does it appear? What is happening when it appears? What does the Coca-Cola machine turn out to be?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the conflict between Dirk and The Great Zaganza. What does The Great Zaganza do to torment Dirk? Why does he do this?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Dirk's house with Anstey's house. How do the different settings represent the personalities of the two men?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)