|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Kate think the mechanic pawned the tow job off on his son?
2. What did someone drop on Thor once to provoke him?
3. What kind of unsolicited advice does Kate's neighbor give her?
4. What does Kate notice first about Thor when she encounters him in the street?
5. What is hanging on the wall of Mr. Standish's office?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Odin feel about the article he has read in the newspaper about the incident at the airport?
2. What does Sister Bailey regard Odin?
3. What is Dirk's impression of the hallway in Anstey's house as he enters?
4. What does Dirk think of the 6:30 am meeting time that Anstey arranged for them?
5. What does Dirk think about the missing Miss Pearce and what is his history with her?
6. Describe the second bedroom in Anstey's house.
7. In what state does Dirk find Anstey when he arrives at his house?
8. Why does the neighborhood on Lupton Road 'resent' the police cars that are parked there?
9. Describe Kate's car and what condition it is in.
10. Why does Dirk write his order down on a napkin at the Islington cafe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the symbolism of the Draycotts in the book. What do they do for a living? How do they compare symbolically with Thor and Odin?
Essay Topic 2
Explain Kate's state of mind as she is trying to board the plane. Describe her motivation for going to the airport and her attitude toward the troubles she encounters as she tries to board the plane.
Essay Topic 3
Explain how Dirk ends up at King's Cross station. What is he looking for that leads him there? What happens when he gets there?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)