|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Kate's last name?
2. What is the name of the person who writes horoscopes for the newspaper?
3. What "unmistakable quality" does Dirk think Anstey's complaining neighbor has about her?
4. What is the waiter's hair filled with who waits on Dirk?
5. What does Dirk find in his refrigerator when he opens it in the morning that disturbs him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the pub look like where Kate and Dirk go when the cars are getting fixed?
2. How does Kate counter Mr. Standish's discussion of a Grand Unified Field Theory of Everything?
3. Why does Gilks think Anstey's death was a suicide?
4. How does the author describe the boy in Anstey's attic room?
5. Why does Dirk think that his 'Zen' navigation technique has led him to precisely where he is supposed to be?
6. Why does the neighborhood on Lupton Road 'resent' the police cars that are parked there?
7. Describe the second bedroom in Anstey's house.
8. What is Dirk's impression of the hallway in Anstey's house as he enters?
9. How does Odin feel about linen and why?
10. What does Kate say about her neighbor who plays double bass?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Dirk's house with Anstey's house. How do the different settings represent the personalities of the two men?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the symbolism of the Draycotts in the book. What do they do for a living? How do they compare symbolically with Thor and Odin?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Toe Rag's role in the book. Who does he work for? What does he look like? What deeds has he done? What is the nature of most of his deeds?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)