|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what has Thor been attached to the floor?
2. What is hanging on the wall of Mr. Standish's office?
3. What color button does the I Ching say to push once Dirk achieves inner harmony and tranquility?
4. Why is the African diplomat brought to Woodshead?
5. What "unmistakable quality" does Dirk think Anstey's complaining neighbor has about her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dirk say of the kind of day he thinks Kate has had and how does she react?
2. What sort of bath tub does Kate have?
3. Describe the second bedroom in Anstey's house.
4. What does Kate think of Dirk's appearance when she confronts him after the crash?
5. What does Dirk say of Kate's driving skills and how does he justify this observation?
6. What does Dirk think of the group of waiters when they are waiting around at the Islington cafe?
7. What does Odin's room look like at Woodshead?
8. What does the pub look like where Kate and Dirk go when the cars are getting fixed?
9. Describe Kate's car and what condition it is in.
10. How does the author describe the boy in Anstey's attic room?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how Dirk ends up at King's Cross station. What is he looking for that leads him there? What happens when he gets there?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Dirk's house with Anstey's house. How do the different settings represent the personalities of the two men?
Essay Topic 3
Explain Dirk's relationship with the electronic I Ching calculator. Why does he buy it? What keeps happening with it? What does it tell him?
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)