|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Thor call Toe Rag?
2. What kind of car does Dirk have?
3. What does Dirk steal from Sally Mills often to have sent to his hotel room?
4. Who is looking for Dirk when he arrives at Anstey's house?
5. Why is Kate scheduled to go to Norway?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dirk think of the 6:30 am meeting time that Anstey arranged for them?
2. Describe Kate's car and what condition it is in.
3. What does the pub look like where Kate and Dirk go when the cars are getting fixed?
4. What is Dirk's impression of the hallway in Anstey's house as he enters?
5. How has Thor felt of late, especially after having had to rip himself from the floor to which he has been glued?
6. What is Dirk's impression of Cynthia Draycott when he first encounters her?
7. What does Dirk do when Bates asks if he is going to pay for the newspaper he just took from his stand?
8. What does Dirk recall about an interview he read about Pugilism and the Third Autistic Cuckoo?
9. What does Dirk think of the group of waiters when they are waiting around at the Islington cafe?
10. How does the author describe the boy in Anstey's attic room?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Outline the history of the conflict between Odin and Thor. What is the relationship between the two gods? How has Odin tried to punish Thor in the past? How does the conflict between the two gods get resolved?
Essay Topic 2
Describe how the anthropomorphism of Guilt in the book. How is this brought to fruition at the end?
Essay Topic 3
Explain how the Coca-Cola machine is a recurrent motif in the story. Where does it appear? What is happening when it appears? What does the Coca-Cola machine turn out to be?
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)