|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dirk find in his refrigerator when he opens it in the morning that disturbs him?
2. What are hung on the walls of Anstey's house?
3. What is the floor made of that Thor is attached to?
4. What does Kate drink at the pub while the mechanic works on her car?
5. Who delivers judgments on Dirk's I Ching calculator?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Thor put things right after he tears up Odin's contract and why does he do this?
2. What does the author imply has happened to the Draycotts at the end of the book?
3. What does Kate think of Dirk's appearance when she confronts him after the crash?
4. Why does Thor want Kate to see Asgard and how does Kate react?
5. How does Kate counter Mr. Standish's discussion of a Grand Unified Field Theory of Everything?
6. Describe the second bedroom in Anstey's house.
7. What does Sally Mills say about Dirk's appearance at the hospital?
8. How does Kate withstand the flight with Thor's hammer?
9. What happens to Dirk when he jumps out of his house?
10. Why was the Aries Rising Record Group founded and how did it evolve?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how the anthropomorphism of Guilt in the book. How is this brought to fruition at the end?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the relationship between Kate and Mr. Standish. What is Kate's motivation for going to Woodshead? How does Mr. Standish interact with her when she is there? Does Kate eventually find what she is looking for?
Essay Topic 3
Explain how the Coca-Cola machine is a recurrent motif in the story. Where does it appear? What is happening when it appears? What does the Coca-Cola machine turn out to be?
This section contains 1,160 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)