|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is country of origin of the record turntable in Anstey's basement?
2. What is the name of Kate's husband who died?
3. What is the name of Kate's brother?
4. What kind of cigarettes does Dirk smoke when he awakens in his house?
5. Who states that the incident at the airport is completely under control and they have the situation contained?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Odin's room look like at Woodshead?
2. Why does Dirk write his order down on a napkin at the Islington cafe?
3. Why does the neighborhood on Lupton Road 'resent' the police cars that are parked there?
4. How has Thor felt of late, especially after having had to rip himself from the floor to which he has been glued?
5. What does Dirk recall about an interview he read about Pugilism and the Third Autistic Cuckoo?
6. How does Kate counter Mr. Standish's discussion of a Grand Unified Field Theory of Everything?
7. What does Kate say about her neighbor who plays double bass?
8. How does Odin feel about linen and why?
9. What does the pub look like where Kate and Dirk go when the cars are getting fixed?
10. What does Kate think of Dirk's appearance when she confronts him after the crash?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Dirk's relationship with the electronic I Ching calculator. Why does he buy it? What keeps happening with it? What does it tell him?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the moral of the book from Odin's point of view. What does he wish he had experienced in Asgard? What things did the gods overlook that were important?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the relationship between Kate and Mr. Standish. What is Kate's motivation for going to Woodshead? How does Mr. Standish interact with her when she is there? Does Kate eventually find what she is looking for?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)