|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sort of children does Mr. Standish suggest Mrs. Benson might have in their phone conversation?
2. Who recorded "Hot Potato"?
3. Why is the African diplomat brought to Woodshead?
4. What is the floor made of that Thor is attached to?
5. In what way does Toe Rag consider himself a professional?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dirk think about the missing Miss Pearce and what is his history with her?
2. Why does the neighborhood on Lupton Road 'resent' the police cars that are parked there?
3. What does Odin's room look like at Woodshead?
4. What does the pub look like where Kate and Dirk go when the cars are getting fixed?
5. What does Dirk say when Sally Mills accuses him of inquisitiveness and presumptuousness?
6. What sort of bath tub does Kate have?
7. How does Kate counter Mr. Standish's discussion of a Grand Unified Field Theory of Everything?
8. What is Dirk's impression of Cynthia Draycott when he first encounters her?
9. Describe the second bedroom in Anstey's house.
10. What does Dirk say of the kind of day he thinks Kate has had and how does she react?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Dirk's house with Anstey's house. How do the different settings represent the personalities of the two men?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the symbolism of the Draycotts in the book. What do they do for a living? How do they compare symbolically with Thor and Odin?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the difference between the primary protagonist in the story and the secondary protagonist. Why is Dirk the primary protagonist? Why is Kate's role significant to the plot?
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)