|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the waiter's friend who broke his nose?
2. How is the incident at Heathrow eventually classified by the media?
3. What is hanging on the wall of Mr. Standish's office?
4. Where does Dirk find Anstey's gold record hanging?
5. How does the boy that Dirk encounters in the attic room drink his soda?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author describe the boy in Anstey's attic room?
2. What does Dirk do when Bates asks if he is going to pay for the newspaper he just took from his stand?
3. What does Kate think of Dirk's appearance when she confronts him after the crash?
4. Why does Dirk write his order down on a napkin at the Islington cafe?
5. How does Odin feel about the article he has read in the newspaper about the incident at the airport?
6. What does Dirk think about Anstey's bedroom?
7. Describe Kate's car and what condition it is in.
8. What does the pub look like where Kate and Dirk go when the cars are getting fixed?
9. How has Thor felt of late, especially after having had to rip himself from the floor to which he has been glued?
10. Describe Dirk's 'Zen' navigation method.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Dirk's relationship with the electronic I Ching calculator. Why does he buy it? What keeps happening with it? What does it tell him?
Essay Topic 2
Explain how the Coca-Cola machine is a recurrent motif in the story. Where does it appear? What is happening when it appears? What does the Coca-Cola machine turn out to be?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Thor's powers. What different things does he use his hammer for in the book?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)