|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Kate's brother?
2. Who is the leader of the band that recorded "Hot Potato"?
3. What is the name of Kate's neighbor?
4. What did Kate's neighbor steal from her that has injured their relationship?
5. Who delivers judgments on Dirk's I Ching calculator?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dirk say of Kate's driving skills and how does he justify this observation?
2. Why does the neighborhood on Lupton Road 'resent' the police cars that are parked there?
3. What does Dirk do when Bates asks if he is going to pay for the newspaper he just took from his stand?
4. What is Dirk's impression of the hallway in Anstey's house as he enters?
5. Why does Dirk think that his 'Zen' navigation technique has led him to precisely where he is supposed to be?
6. What does Sister Bailey regard Odin?
7. Why does Gilks think Anstey's death was a suicide?
8. What does Dirk say of the kind of day he thinks Kate has had and how does she react?
9. What does Dirk think of the group of waiters when they are waiting around at the Islington cafe?
10. What does Dirk think about Anstey's bedroom?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Dirk's house with Anstey's house. How do the different settings represent the personalities of the two men?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the difference between the primary protagonist in the story and the secondary protagonist. Why is Dirk the primary protagonist? Why is Kate's role significant to the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the relationship between Kate and Mr. Standish. What is Kate's motivation for going to Woodshead? How does Mr. Standish interact with her when she is there? Does Kate eventually find what she is looking for?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)