|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dirk give Bates for the newspaper he takes?
(a) An IOU.
(b) A nickel.
(c) Twenty pence.
(d) A puppy.
2. Why is Kate scheduled to go to Norway?
(a) To see Jean-Philippe.
(b) To see the fjords.
(c) On a business trip.
(d) To photograph the aurora borealis.
3. What line of work is Kate's brother in in New York?
(c) Stock brokering.
(d) Freelancing on cello.
4. What is the name of Kate's husband who died?
5. What are hung on the walls of Anstey's house?
(a) Greek rugs.
(b) Boat ropes.
(c) Certificates of Merit.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Odin's name at Woodshead?
2. The back of the I Ching calculator that Dirk looks at has a back that is falling off due to poor _____.
3. How did Kate's husband die?
4. Who is the commentator on the I Ching calculator?
5. What falls from behind the gold record when Dirk adjusts it?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dirk say when Sally Mills accuses him of inquisitiveness and presumptuousness?
2. What does Dirk say of Kate's driving skills and how does he justify this observation?
3. What does Kate say about her neighbor who plays double bass?
4. Describe the second bedroom in Anstey's house.
5. Why does Dirk think that his 'Zen' navigation technique has led him to precisely where he is supposed to be?
6. What does Sister Bailey regard Odin?
7. What is Dirk's impression of Cynthia Draycott when he first encounters her?
8. Why does the neighborhood on Lupton Road 'resent' the police cars that are parked there?
9. Why does Gilks think Anstey's death was a suicide?
10. How does the author describe the boy in Anstey's attic room?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)