|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which neighbor of Kate's has recently died of a heart attack?
(a) Mr. Odwin.
(b) Mrs. Sellers.
(c) Mrs. Grey.
(d) Mr. Black.
2. What does Dirk find in his apartment that wasn't there when he left?
(a) His cleaning lady.
(b) His grandfather's pocket watch.
(c) A new fridge.
(d) A hundred dollars on his table.
3. Where in Wales did Thor lose count?
4. How does the author describe Odin's hands in the bed at Woodshead?
(a) As still strong and powerful.
(b) As womanly.
(c) As skeletal.
(d) As exquisitely frail.
5. Who attends Odin at Woodshead as he prepares to return to Asgard?
6. In a rage, what does Thor tell Odin he has found?
(a) The contract.
(b) The remaining stones from Wales.
(c) The phone book.
(d) His lost helmet.
7. How does the author describe the Midland Grand Hotel?
(a) As an epic shrine to mediocrity.
(b) As a huge, dark Gothic Fantasy of a building.
(c) As a colossal dump.
(d) As an Art Deco trash compactor.
8. What does Thor tear up to bind his injured arm?
(a) Kate's tablecloth.
(b) Kate's nightgown.
(c) Kate's umbrella.
(d) Kate's towel.
9. What disturbs the horses that Toe Rag has stolen?
(b) A short, talking tree.
(c) A large, white metal box.
10. What is the name of the wife of the lawyer that Dirk hits with his car?
11. How does Thor explain how he and Kate are going to get to Asgard?
(a) By closing their eyes.
(b) As shapeshifters.
(c) As molecules.
12. Why does Dirk think nobody will sell him cigarettes?
(a) Because he looks like a maniac.
(b) Because it is raining.
(c) Because they aren't in the mood.
(d) Because they are out fo stock.
13. What creatures crouch beneath the foul sky outside the gates of Valhalla?
14. Dirk awakens in the hospital and finds he has _____.
(a) Lost his sight.
(b) A broken leg.
(c) A broken arm.
(d) Eaten a salamander.
15. What does the old man that befriends Dirk at King's Cross Station utter often?
(d) "Oh, ah".
Short Answer Questions
1. In Dirk's experience, what do crazy, pushy New York drivers explain to oncoming traffic as they careen out into the road?
2. What does Tsuliwaensis say in terms of the number of immortal gods that are left?
3. As Dirk turns through Islington, he begins the long haul past _____.
4. What kind of script is on the papers Dirk stares at as he contemplates what to do about the eagle in his house?
5. What part of London does Dirk say is grim concrete monoliths?
This section contains 476 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)