|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator say the man has a face like?
2. Where does the man say the boys will be sent if they are caught begging?
3. Who is the King of England in this time period?
4. What is the real reason the narrator feels black?
5. What is Jim's fiance's name?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jim's mother react to him telling her he is getting married?
2. What does the narrator say about his families' black looks?
3. What efforts do Bert and Colin make to get more money?
4. How does Jim's fiance surprise the neighbors?
5. How do Lennox and Fred's views on marriage differ?
6. How does Bert ride the Noah's Ark for free?
7. How are Bert and Colin different to each other?
8. What are Fred and wife's views about what is happening next door?
9. What do Bert and Colin do on the way home?
10. Why does the man want to kill himself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How was paediphilia viewed in fifties Britain? How would the authorities deal with someone like Jim in today's Britain?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author's life. In what way is his life and personality is reflected in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the British class system.
1. What points does Sillitoe make about the British class system?
2. Why is it so difficult for two classes to get on together?
3. How have peoples' attitudes towards class changed in the different time periods portrayed in the book?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)