|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Jim Scarfedale live with?
2. What does Jim mother keep her house as clean as?
3. What has Lennox's wife cooked for dinner?
4. What does the narrator say the man has a face like?
5. Why does the narrator think his father could never kill himself?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Bert and Colin do on the way home?
2. How does Bert ride the Noah's Ark for free?
3. What is Bert's plan to cheat at the penny game?
4. Why does the narrator come back to the man's house?
5. How does Jim's fiance surprise the neighbors?
6. What happens when Mrs. Lennox stands up to her husband?
7. How does Jim's mother react to him telling her he is getting married?
8. Describe the chase between the collector and Colin?
9. Why is Jim arrested?
10. How are Bert and Colin different to each other?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is life like in Borstal for Smith? How does Borstal try to change Smith and why do they fail? How has youth prison changed since the story was written?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the British class system.
1. What points does Sillitoe make about the British class system?
2. Why is it so difficult for two classes to get on together?
3. How have peoples' attitudes towards class changed in the different time periods portrayed in the book?
Essay Topic 3
What do the stories say about life in northern England in pre-war Britain? How does northern England differ from southern England? What conflicts are there between the two areas and why?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)