|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the man want the narrator to do when he has the rope around his neck?
2. Who are Notts County playing in this book?
3. What has Lennox's wife cooked for dinner?
4. What does the narrator say the man has a face like?
5. What does Jim mother keep her house as clean as?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator think has lead to Jim's disgrace?
2. Why is Lennox upset with his children?
3. How does Jim's fiance surprise the neighbors?
4. How do Lennox and Fred's views on marriage differ?
5. How are Bert and Colin different to each other?
6. How does the narrator describe Jim's mother?
7. What happens when Mrs. Lennox stands up to her husband?
8. What does Jim say went wrong in his marriage to Phyllis?
9. Why is Jim arrested?
10. Why do Lennox's workmates tease him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is an anti-hero? In what way can Smith be called an anti-hero? Why does the use of an anti-hero work so well in Loneliness of a long Distance Rinner?
Essay Topic 2
Why is British slang and dialect so important to the stories meanings? What meaning would Sillitoe take away from the stories if he did not write in dialect and British slang?
Essay Topic 3
What does football mean to Lennox? In what way does he use football to hide his real problems?
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)