|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the King of England in this time period?
2. What does the narrator say Jim's mother cannot touch Phylis with?
3. What does the author say the fair is a sea of?
4. What color does the narrator say his family turns when they are fed-up?
5. What does the narrator say he would have done to Jim's mother if she has talked to him in the same way?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the narrator think his father would never kill himself?
2. What does the narrator think has lead to Jim's disgrace?
3. What do Bert and Colin do on the way home?
4. How does Bert ride the Noah's Ark for free?
5. Describe the chase between the collector and Colin?
6. How does the narrator describe Jim's mother?
7. What efforts do Bert and Colin make to get more money?
8. Why does the narrator come back to the man's house?
9. How does Jim's mother react to him telling her he is getting married?
10. What are Fred and wife's views about what is happening next door?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How was paediphilia viewed in fifties Britain? How would the authorities deal with someone like Jim in today's Britain?
Essay Topic 2
Why do so many of the characters in the book have a problem with authority figures? In what way do their problems with authority figures hold them back?
Essay Topic 3
Why is British slang and dialect so important to the stories meanings? What meaning would Sillitoe take away from the stories if he did not write in dialect and British slang?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)