|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the policeman say the man can't kill himself?
2. What did Jim's father die of?
3. Why does the man say he is fed up?
4. Who is the King of England in this time period?
5. Who does the narrator see walk to the man's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator describe Jim's mother?
2. What do Bert and Colin do on the way home?
3. How does Jim's mother react to him telling her he is getting married?
4. Why is Lennox upset with his children?
5. What are Fred and wife's views about what is happening next door?
6. Why is the man's suicide attempt unsuccessful?
7. What does the narrator think has lead to Jim's disgrace?
8. What does Jim say went wrong in his marriage to Phyllis?
9. Why does the policeman arrest the man?
10. Why does the narrator think his father would never kill himself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the stories and examine what comment it makes about British society? How has British society changed since the story was written? How much was literature and art an important part of this change?
Essay Topic 2
What was the role of mothers and fathers during the time periods represented in the book? How and why is the father shown in such a negative light?
Essay Topic 3
What is an anti-hero? In what way can Smith be called an anti-hero? Why does the use of an anti-hero work so well in Loneliness of a long Distance Rinner?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)