|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of weapon does Smith compare Borstal to?
(a) A mace.
(b) A knife.
(c) A ninja star.
(d) A gun.
2. How does the elder girl look at Ernest when he offers to buy her sister something to eat?
3. How did the young girl die?
(a) She had a heart attack.
(b) She was run over.
(c) She killed herself.
(d) She was murdered.
4. What do the lords and ladies shout at Smith?
(d) Damn you.
5. What does Ernest usually do at 9 o'clock?
(a) Phone his wife.
(b) Sleep for an hour.
(c) Eat breakfast.
(d) Drink a beer.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Mr. Raynor hit Bullivant?
2. What is the middle-aged man coming out of at the beginning of the book?
3. How did Mr. Raynor try to cure his obsession with the girl?
4. Where does the narrator walk with his wife when he receives his first paycheck?
5. Where does Harry's wife throw his book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Borstal?
2. What does Mr. Raynor see happening in the Draper's shop at the beginning of the story?
3. How do Smith and Smith steal the money from the butchers?
4. What is Smith's attitutude when the policeman confronts him about the robbery?
5. What is the girls' family life like?
6. How do the two girls manipulate Ernest?
7. Why does Raynor want to punish Bullivant?
8. How does Ernest befriend the two girls?
9. How does Mr. Raynor remember the girl he regarded as physically perfect?
10. Why does Colin agree to run in a competition for Borstal?
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)