|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is determined by obscuring a logical connection between statistical and non-statistical interpretations, with regard to uncertainty theory?
2. What is shown to be equal in issues relating to power of classes?
3. What lies in the testability of simple systems?
4. What type of numerical interpretation requires that probabilities be only expressed as frequencies?
5. What type of content is considered valuable according to Popper?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Popper suggest about hypothetical assumptions in his discussion on inductivists?
2. What is the concern with using infinite sequences?
3. How is logical probability represented?
4. Why does Popper feel that intersubjective objectivity must be applied to statistical statements?
5. How does falsifiability relate to the dimensions of a statement under investigation?
6. What is the basis of the wave theory used by Schrödinger?
7. Why does Popper feel the view of Wittgenstein, Schlick, and Feigl regarding simplicity misses crucial points?
8. What does Popper demonstrate by using probability theory?
9. What does Popper suggest about corroborations?
10. What does Popper say about simplicity and the philosophers who emphasize its importance?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Popper has suggests two significant factors about Heisenberg's programme. What are these two factors? How did Popper come to these conclusions? What are Popper's corrections of these issues? Based on the reading and Popper's previous explanations of the uncertainty relations presented in Heisenberg's programme do you feel these are adequate criticisms and solutions?
Essay Topic 2
In Popper's discussion on simplicity, he mentions ad hoc hypotheses. Describe in detail what an ad hoc hypothesis is. Can it be used in this framework? Why or why not? What is the purpose of the ad hoc hypotheses? Provide support for you answers from the readings.
Essay Topic 3
Popper suggests that simplicity is used in many senses. Discuss these senses and provide support from the reading. What sense of simplicity does Popper feel is appropriate in science? Do you agree with Popper? Why or why not?
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)