|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Popper suggest uncertainty statements are derived from?
2. According to many theorists, what gives meaning to classes of events?
3. What type of numerical interpretation requires that probabilities be only expressed as frequencies?
4. What does Popper state many philosophers do not recognize when emphasizing the importance of simplicity?
5. How does Popper negate positivist notions regarding the meaninglessness of certain scientific statements?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do falsifiable statements hold the greatest promise for science?
2. What does Popper say about simplicity and the philosophers who emphasize its importance?
3. How does Popper feel traditional inductivists work?
4. What two scientific arguments does Popper use to verify his beliefs about inductivists?
5. Why, according to Heisenberg, can measurement not be a basis for prediction?
6. What are the two main sources for hypothetical estimates of frequencies with regard to infinite empirical sequences?
7. What does Popper demonstrate by using probability theory?
8. Why does Popper feel that intersubjective objectivity must be applied to statistical statements?
9. What does Popper say about simple statements in science?
10. How is the physical basis for the uncertainty theory undermined?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What three steps must be taken for a statement to be logically examined? Discuss each step and identify its place in this process as well as its role.
Essay Topic 2
Popper leaves the question of the benefits of more or fewer falsifiers open. Discuss the benefits or drawbacks of more or fewer falsifiers. Based on this information, which do you feel is better? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Popper discusses the relationship between corroborability and testability. Discuss this relationship. Is this relationship positive or negative? Must is be one or the other in order for science to be successful? Provide support for your answer using examples and evidence from the readings.
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)