|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jessica discover in the journal entry dated September 7, 1795?
2. In the letter that Christina's aunt writes to her, what does she complain about?
3. When Jessica finally got to America, how did she feel?
4. How does Patricia's husband treat Jessica?
5. When the entire family sits down for dinner at Lyonwood, how does Lyon feel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the two letters Christina receives when Lyon is in London.
2. Why is it significant that Everett does not want to take the girls to the tavern?
3. At what point does Lyon begin to truly understand Christina?
4. Why does Christina decide she does not want to marry Lyon?
5. What is the significance in Lyon's mother being taken to Lyonwood?
6. Why is it significant that Christina fears saddles?
7. Describe Aunt Harriet.
8. What things are most important to Christina?
9. Why did Jessica leave the wagon train, and how does she do it?
10. How does Lyon respond to Christina playing cards in the tavern?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does juxtaposition play in the novel? Which characters, settings, and objects are juxtaposed? Describe two instances of juxtaposition in The Lion's Lady.
Essay Topic 2
Are Christina and Lyon in love? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Garwood uses humor in some places to relieve tension in The Lion's Lady. Humor often occurs in dialogue and misunderstandings that result from Lyon and Christina's relationship and the culture shock she experiences. What role does humor play in the novel, and what effect does it have on the reader? Why would Garwood choose to use humor to convey a message and relieve tension?
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)