|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Christina and Lyon spend most of their first married days together?
2. Christina thinks Lyon is ___________.
3. Christina accompanies Lyon to the garden despite which of the following?
4. Who tells Christina about James' accident?
5. How does Patricia's husband treat Jessica?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the journal entry dated October 11, 1795.
2. Describe Jessica's reaction to her pregnancy.
3. How does Lyon respond to Christina's questions about Lettie?
4. Why does Christina decide she does not want to marry Lyon?
5. What was the Brisbane Incident?
6. What is Lyon's view of Christina's marriage proposal?
7. Why did Jessica leave the wagon train, and how does she do it?
8. Why does Christina fear marriage?
9. When Harriet urges Christina to tell Lyon about her fears, what fears is she talking about?
10. What things are most important to Christina?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Garwood uses humor in some places to relieve tension in The Lion's Lady. Humor often occurs in dialogue and misunderstandings that result from Lyon and Christina's relationship and the culture shock she experiences. What role does humor play in the novel, and what effect does it have on the reader? Why would Garwood choose to use humor to convey a message and relieve tension?
Essay Topic 2
What role does juxtaposition play in the novel? Which characters, settings, and objects are juxtaposed? Describe two instances of juxtaposition in The Lion's Lady.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the point of view used by the narrator in The Lion's Lady. Why is it significant that the reader gets insight from several characters, not just Christina, the protagonist?
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)