|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Mr. Leverton?
2. How much money does Nick give Tristão?
3. Where is Catherine thinking of buying property?
4. Whose new mobile phone does Gerald use?
5. Who owns the manor?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Nick suggest that he has helped make the restaurant Gusto a success?
2. How does the news of the affair between Gerald and Penny break in the media?
3. What is on Abbots' Field?
4. How does Nick think it is best to deal with Catherine when she is on an "up curve"?
5. Describe the game of welly-whanging.
6. How does Barry Groom react to his meeting with the Prime Minister?
7. What does Sally Tipper look like?
8. What happens to the Ouradi's first son?
9. What is Wobbly Thursday?
10. Who is Nat getting married to?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the role of the media in the text? Begin by looking at the discussion of the "Mordant Analyst" on the opening pages and continue to the effects of the tabloids on the characters at the end of the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the double meaning of Henry James' quote about being able to tolerate "a great deal of gilt." How does this quote relate to Nick's life?
Essay Topic 3
Wani can be seen as the supremely decadent character. Analyze his character and explain his motivations for his behavior. Is he selfish or a product of his environment? What is his family life like? Is he enabled in his selfishness?
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)