|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When do the Feddens usually go to Chez Claude?
2. What anniversary are the Feddens celebrating?
3. What does Wani rename the Clerkenwell Building?
4. What does Mrs. Avison teach?
5. Whose new mobile phone does Gerald use?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is on Abbots' Field?
2. What happens to the Ouradi's first son?
3. Who is Nat getting married to?
4. Describe the game of welly-whanging.
5. What does the Gauguin painting "Le Matin aux Champs" represent, according to Catherine?
6. What is mistakenly believed about Market Hall in Barwick?
7. What does Penny document in her diary?
8. What is on the cover of the premiere issue of Ogee?
9. What is the "different side" of the Prime Minister that Wani knows?
10. What do Gerald and Jasper do in the fumoir?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Henry James is a key figure in the novel. James explores the theme of alienation and also of contrasting old wealth vs. vulgar nouveau riche. How has Hollinghurst also used these themes in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
The novel opens with a quote from Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland. Why has the author selected this quote? What parallels can you draw between Nick and Alice? Has Nick outgrown the world of the Feddens? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the double meaning of Henry James' quote about being able to tolerate "a great deal of gilt." How does this quote relate to Nick's life?
This section contains 491 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)