|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Mr. Leverton?
2. Who is with Nick in the photo that hangs in his bathroom?
3. Where do Rachel and Gerald end up hanging their Gauguin?
4. What party's candidate does Nick vote for in the election?
5. What does Wani offer to give Nick in his will?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the Ouradi's first son?
2. What is mistakenly believed about Market Hall in Barwick?
3. Why is Rachel so upset with Nick?
4. What is on the cover of the premiere issue of Ogee?
5. How does the news of the affair between Gerald and Penny break in the media?
6. What does Jonty Stafford tell Catherine about the Hotel Diocletian?
7. How does Barry Groom react to his meeting with the Prime Minister?
8. What does Sally Tipper look like?
9. Describe the game of welly-whanging.
10. According to Catherine, what is Gerald's view of his constituents?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the role of public vs. private space in the text. Give examples and show how public and private spaces can also be scenes of irony (keyholder's garden and the Gents).
Essay Topic 2
Wani can be seen as the supremely decadent character. Analyze his character and explain his motivations for his behavior. Is he selfish or a product of his environment? What is his family life like? Is he enabled in his selfishness?
Essay Topic 3
The context of the novel is Great Britain in the 1980s. How would the plot be different if it took place in another time period? Why is this time period necessary to reveal subtleties of plot --AIDS scare, economics, politics, etc.?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)