|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who buys the land next to the Guests?
2. Who does Nick catch coming out of the same room as Wani during the Feddens' anniversary party?
3. Which friend of Gerald's comes to give him advice after the scandal concerning Nick breaks?
4. What kind of car has Wani bought for Nick?
5. Whose new mobile phone does Gerald use?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Lionel able to get in the house without alerting the press?
2. What do Gerald and Jasper do in the fumoir?
3. What is the "different side" of the Prime Minister that Wani knows?
4. What is on the cover of the premiere issue of Ogee?
5. What does the Gauguin painting "Le Matin aux Champs" represent, according to Catherine?
6. Who is Nat getting married to?
7. How does Nick think it is best to deal with Catherine when she is on an "up curve"?
8. How does Nick know Nat Henmer?
9. What happens to the Ouradi's first son?
10. Describe the game of welly-whanging.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the concepts of the "line of beauty" is the ogee arch. Explain the symbolism of the ogee and find examples of when this image appears in the text. What does the ogee mean to Nick? What about the Ogee company? How does its curve reflect the highs and lows of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Rachel refers to a politician's affair as "vulgar and unsafe." How do you see the homosexual encounters as portrayed in the text? Are they portrayed as vulgar or as beautiful? Why do you think Hollinghurst makes his scenes so explicit?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the double meaning of Henry James' quote about being able to tolerate "a great deal of gilt." How does this quote relate to Nick's life?
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)