|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Toby want to teach Nick and Wani to play?
2. What is Elena's first impression of Nick?
3. When Nick and Toby spend the afternoon together, what does Toby bring out by the pool?
4. What is Nick reading while he is on vacation?
5. What doesn't Wani tell Nick he has bought?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the game of welly-whanging.
2. What is Wobbly Thursday?
3. What is on Abbots' Field?
4. What happens to the Ouradi's first son?
5. How does Nick think it is best to deal with Catherine when she is on an "up curve"?
6. Why does Nick suggest that he has helped make the restaurant Gusto a success?
7. What does the Gauguin painting "Le Matin aux Champs" represent, according to Catherine?
8. What does Nick fear most after reading the Edelman book?
9. What is on the cover of the premiere issue of Ogee?
10. How is Lionel able to get in the house without alerting the press?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Rachel refers to a politician's affair as "vulgar and unsafe." How do you see the homosexual encounters as portrayed in the text? Are they portrayed as vulgar or as beautiful? Why do you think Hollinghurst makes his scenes so explicit?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the use of euphemism in the text. What major things are never talked about and which seemingly problematic issues are discussed? How does this reveal the cultural sensibilities of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
Explain how issues of class interrelate with issues of sexuality. Is Nick's experience as a gay man different than Polly's or Wani's or Leo's? Explain how their experiences are different using examples from the text.
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)