|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the ad for that is on the back cover of Ogee?
2. Where is the last place Nick sees Leo alive?
3. How long has Nick lived with the Feddens?
4. Who is Gerald's main rival in the election?
5. What is Nick going to do in the afternoon after Wani leaves?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is on the cover of the premiere issue of Ogee?
2. How is Lionel able to get in the house without alerting the press?
3. Why is Rachel so upset with Nick?
4. Who is Nat getting married to?
5. How does Nick know Nat Henmer?
6. What happens to the Ouradi's first son?
7. Why does Nick suggest that he has helped make the restaurant Gusto a success?
8. What do Gerald and Jasper do in the fumoir?
9. What does Wani say he is having a feature on in the premiere issue of Ogee?
10. What is Wobbly Thursday?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The context of the novel is Great Britain in the 1980s. How would the plot be different if it took place in another time period? Why is this time period necessary to reveal subtleties of plot --AIDS scare, economics, politics, etc.?
Essay Topic 2
Nick is more of a spectator than an actor in the decisions that affect his life. He acts like an appraiser of everyone else's judgments, values, and tastes. Find examples that show Nick to be the cool and removed spectator, critical of others, but unable to ultimately make decisions for himself. Then, analyze whether or not Nick is truly as devoid of power as he seems.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the politics at play in the novel. It is the time of the "Tory Revolution." Explain the effects that politics have on the plot.
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)