|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose new mobile phone does Gerald use?
2. Why is the mayor insulted by Gerald?
3. Who is Mr. Leverton?
4. Where is the last place Nick sees Leo alive?
5. What does Treat want to try for lunch?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Penny document in her diary?
2. What does Jonty Stafford tell Catherine about the Hotel Diocletian?
3. How does Barry Groom react to his meeting with the Prime Minister?
4. Why is Rachel so upset with Nick?
5. Describe the game of welly-whanging.
6. What is on Abbots' Field?
7. What is mistakenly believed about Market Hall in Barwick?
8. How does the news of the affair between Gerald and Penny break in the media?
9. How does Nick know Nat Henmer?
10. How is Lionel able to get in the house without alerting the press?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Early in the text, Nick receives a gift of cologne called "Je Promets". At the end of the novel, an ad for the cologne appears in the back pages of Ogee magazine. Explain the symbolism and significance of this cologne and how it represents the changes that have occurred in Nick's life.
Essay Topic 2
Nick's thesis is on the "style that hides things and reveals things at the same time". Explain how this relates to the larger context of the novel. How does the concept of "style" play a role in the major characters' lives?
Essay Topic 3
Nick's last name "Guest" symbolizes his role as an outsider who is allowed to visit momentarily and precariously in the world of the more socially advanced. Using examples from the text, explain how Nick is considered a "guest" by other characters. How does his room's location in the Fedden household further symbolize his relationship to the family?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)