|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of Leo's lovers gets asked over to meet his mother?
2. What does M. Mitterand say is the "supreme political virtue"?
3. Where do Rachel and Gerald end up hanging their Gauguin?
4. When Nick and Toby spend the afternoon together, what does Toby bring out by the pool?
5. While everyone is waiting for Gerald to come home and deal with the press, what does Catherine put on the record player?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Gauguin painting "Le Matin aux Champs" represent, according to Catherine?
2. What do Gerald and Jasper do in the fumoir?
3. How does Nick know Nat Henmer?
4. What is on Abbots' Field?
5. How does the news of the affair between Gerald and Penny break in the media?
6. What happens to the Ouradi's first son?
7. What does Jonty Stafford tell Catherine about the Hotel Diocletian?
8. What is mistakenly believed about Market Hall in Barwick?
9. How is Lionel able to get in the house without alerting the press?
10. What is on the cover of the premiere issue of Ogee?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how issues of class interrelate with issues of sexuality. Is Nick's experience as a gay man different than Polly's or Wani's or Leo's? Explain how their experiences are different using examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Wani can be seen as the supremely decadent character. Analyze his character and explain his motivations for his behavior. Is he selfish or a product of his environment? What is his family life like? Is he enabled in his selfishness?
Essay Topic 3
Nick is surrounded by many people who love "things more than people". Using examples in the text, explain how the snobbishness of the wealthy puts a heavy value on possessions over relationships. How do the characters relate to their possessions? How does this compare to how they relate to each other?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)