|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nick take out of Wani's luggage?
2. Who is Mr. Leverton?
3. What Latin phrase does the Eros scene on the ewer represent, according to Nick?
4. Who is with Gerald in the the most recent photo hanging on the Feddens' wall?
5. Why is the mayor insulted by Gerald?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the game of welly-whanging.
2. Who is Nat getting married to?
3. What does the Gauguin painting "Le Matin aux Champs" represent, according to Catherine?
4. How does the news of the affair between Gerald and Penny break in the media?
5. What is on Abbots' Field?
6. What happens to the Ouradi's first son?
7. Who is Javier?
8. What is on the cover of the premiere issue of Ogee?
9. How does Nick know Nat Henmer?
10. How does Nick think it is best to deal with Catherine when she is on an "up curve"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How are women portrayed in the text? There are mothers, mistresses, annoying girlfriends, and a Prime Minister. Using the examples of the main female characters (Rachel, Catherine, Penny, Lady Partridge, Margaret Thatcher), what similarities can be seen in the female characters? How do the female characters influence the lives of the male characters?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the use of euphemism in the text. What major things are never talked about and which seemingly problematic issues are discussed? How does this reveal the cultural sensibilities of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
What is the role of the media in the text? Begin by looking at the discussion of the "Mordant Analyst" on the opening pages and continue to the effects of the tabloids on the characters at the end of the novel.
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)