|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When everyone else goes to Chez Claude and Toby and Nick stay home, what does Toby make Nick for lunch?
2. Who does Catherine think is madly in love with Gerald?
3. What is the name of Rosemary's friend?
4. When Nick and Toby spend the afternoon together, what does Toby bring out by the pool?
5. Why can't Maurice have rich food?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the "different side" of the Prime Minister that Wani knows?
2. What happens to the Ouradi's first son?
3. According to Catherine, what is Gerald's view of his constituents?
4. What does Nick fear most after reading the Edelman book?
5. How does Nick think it is best to deal with Catherine when she is on an "up curve"?
6. What does Wani say he is having a feature on in the premiere issue of Ogee?
7. Describe the game of welly-whanging.
8. What does the Gauguin painting "Le Matin aux Champs" represent, according to Catherine?
9. Who is Javier?
10. What is mistakenly believed about Market Hall in Barwick?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the concepts of the "line of beauty" is the ogee arch. Explain the symbolism of the ogee and find examples of when this image appears in the text. What does the ogee mean to Nick? What about the Ogee company? How does its curve reflect the highs and lows of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Wani can be seen as the supremely decadent character. Analyze his character and explain his motivations for his behavior. Is he selfish or a product of his environment? What is his family life like? Is he enabled in his selfishness?
Essay Topic 3
Explain how issues of class interrelate with issues of sexuality. Is Nick's experience as a gay man different than Polly's or Wani's or Leo's? Explain how their experiences are different using examples from the text.
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)