|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nick take out of Wani's luggage?
2. When Nick and Toby spend the afternoon together, what does Toby bring out by the pool?
3. What is Nick reading while he is on vacation?
4. What does M. Mitterand say is the "supreme political virtue"?
5. How much does Sir Maurice say he is worth?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sally Tipper look like?
2. Describe the game of welly-whanging.
3. What does Penny document in her diary?
4. How does Nick think it is best to deal with Catherine when she is on an "up curve"?
5. Why does Nick suggest that he has helped make the restaurant Gusto a success?
6. How does Barry Groom react to his meeting with the Prime Minister?
7. According to Catherine, what is Gerald's view of his constituents?
8. How does the news of the affair between Gerald and Penny break in the media?
9. Who is Javier?
10. How does Nick know Nat Henmer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Nick's thesis is on the "style that hides things and reveals things at the same time". Explain how this relates to the larger context of the novel. How does the concept of "style" play a role in the major characters' lives?
Essay Topic 2
The context of the novel is Great Britain in the 1980s. How would the plot be different if it took place in another time period? Why is this time period necessary to reveal subtleties of plot --AIDS scare, economics, politics, etc.?
Essay Topic 3
What is the role of the media in the text? Begin by looking at the discussion of the "Mordant Analyst" on the opening pages and continue to the effects of the tabloids on the characters at the end of the novel.
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)