|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gerald win at the tombola table?
2. What artist paints the landscape that Lionel gives to Rachel and Gerald?
3. What does Mrs. Avison teach?
4. What is Nick's license number?
5. Who are Treat Rush and Brad Craft?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the "different side" of the Prime Minister that Wani knows?
2. What is on Abbots' Field?
3. What does Wani say he is having a feature on in the premiere issue of Ogee?
4. What does Jonty Stafford tell Catherine about the Hotel Diocletian?
5. How does Nick know Nat Henmer?
6. Who is Javier?
7. How does the news of the affair between Gerald and Penny break in the media?
8. According to Catherine, what is Gerald's view of his constituents?
9. What does Penny document in her diary?
10. What does Nick fear most after reading the Edelman book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Deconstruct the concept of the "line of beauty". Find examples of when this term is used and explain all of the different meanings the "line of beauty" has throughout the text.
Essay Topic 2
Is Nick a hero or an unreliable narrator? Does the reader have sympathy for him as a character? Explain why or why not using examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the role of public vs. private space in the text. Give examples and show how public and private spaces can also be scenes of irony (keyholder's garden and the Gents).
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)