|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When everyone else goes to Chez Claude and Toby and Nick stay home, what does Toby make Nick for lunch?
2. What present is received by Toby and Catherine?
3. What is Lionel's excuse for not having the anniversary party at Hawkeswood?
4. Why does Nick say Wani bought him the car?
5. Who has Catherine run into while she is out looking for real estate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Early in the text, Nick receives a gift of cologne called "Je Promets". At the end of the novel, an ad for the cologne appears in the back pages of Ogee magazine. Explain the symbolism and significance of this cologne and how it represents the changes that have occurred in Nick's life.
Essay Topic 2
Nick's last name "Guest" symbolizes his role as an outsider who is allowed to visit momentarily and precariously in the world of the more socially advanced. Using examples from the text, explain how Nick is considered a "guest" by other characters. How does his room's location in the Fedden household further symbolize his relationship to the family?
Essay Topic 3
Nick's thesis is on the "style that hides things and reveals things at the same time". Explain how this relates to the larger context of the novel. How does the concept of "style" play a role in the major characters' lives?
This section contains 998 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)