|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nick take out of Wani's luggage?
2. Where do Rachel and Gerald end up hanging their Gauguin?
3. Where does Joe, the man Nick meets in the bar, live?
4. Where is the last place Nick sees Leo alive?
5. In the photograph that Gerald has hung in the first floor lavatory of Kensington Park Gardens, who is Gerald shaking hands with?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Javier?
2. How is Lionel able to get in the house without alerting the press?
3. What does Nick fear most after reading the Edelman book?
4. What do Gerald and Jasper do in the fumoir?
5. What is the "different side" of the Prime Minister that Wani knows?
6. Why is Rachel so upset with Nick?
7. What is on the cover of the premiere issue of Ogee?
8. What does Jonty Stafford tell Catherine about the Hotel Diocletian?
9. What does the Gauguin painting "Le Matin aux Champs" represent, according to Catherine?
10. Who is Nat getting married to?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the double meaning of Henry James' quote about being able to tolerate "a great deal of gilt." How does this quote relate to Nick's life?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the politics at play in the novel. It is the time of the "Tory Revolution." Explain the effects that politics have on the plot.
Essay Topic 3
Deconstruct the concept of the "line of beauty". Find examples of when this term is used and explain all of the different meanings the "line of beauty" has throughout the text.
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)