|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the only opera Lady Partridge has ever seen?
2. What artist paints the landscape that Lionel gives to Rachel and Gerald?
3. What does Gerald win at the tombola table?
4. What kind of car has Wani bought for Nick?
5. How long has Nick lived with the Feddens?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sally Tipper look like?
2. How does the news of the affair between Gerald and Penny break in the media?
3. How does Nick think it is best to deal with Catherine when she is on an "up curve"?
4. What does Nick fear most after reading the Edelman book?
5. What do Gerald and Jasper do in the fumoir?
6. Who is Javier?
7. What does Jonty Stafford tell Catherine about the Hotel Diocletian?
8. How is Lionel able to get in the house without alerting the press?
9. What happens to the Ouradi's first son?
10. How does Barry Groom react to his meeting with the Prime Minister?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the role of public vs. private space in the text. Give examples and show how public and private spaces can also be scenes of irony (keyholder's garden and the Gents).
Essay Topic 2
The novel opens with a quote from Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland. Why has the author selected this quote? What parallels can you draw between Nick and Alice? Has Nick outgrown the world of the Feddens? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What is the role of the media in the text? Begin by looking at the discussion of the "Mordant Analyst" on the opening pages and continue to the effects of the tabloids on the characters at the end of the novel.
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)