|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Treat want to try for lunch?
2. What is the name of the Guests' home?
3. What is the name of Rosemary's friend?
4. What is the ad for that is on the back cover of Ogee?
5. Who buys the land next to the Guests?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Catherine, what is Gerald's view of his constituents?
2. How does Nick think it is best to deal with Catherine when she is on an "up curve"?
3. Describe the game of welly-whanging.
4. What is Wobbly Thursday?
5. What is mistakenly believed about Market Hall in Barwick?
6. How does Nick know Nat Henmer?
7. What does Penny document in her diary?
8. What does Wani say he is having a feature on in the premiere issue of Ogee?
9. What happens to the Ouradi's first son?
10. Who is Javier?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Early in the text, Nick receives a gift of cologne called "Je Promets". At the end of the novel, an ad for the cologne appears in the back pages of Ogee magazine. Explain the symbolism and significance of this cologne and how it represents the changes that have occurred in Nick's life.
Essay Topic 2
What is the role of the media in the text? Begin by looking at the discussion of the "Mordant Analyst" on the opening pages and continue to the effects of the tabloids on the characters at the end of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
The context of the novel is Great Britain in the 1980s. How would the plot be different if it took place in another time period? Why is this time period necessary to reveal subtleties of plot --AIDS scare, economics, politics, etc.?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)