|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is prize for the welly-whanging champion?
2. Where has Wani been while he has been away from London?
3. What doesn't Wani tell Nick he has bought?
4. What does M. Mitterand say is the "supreme political virtue"?
5. What is Elena's first impression of Nick?
Essay Topic 1
The novel opens with a quote from Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland. Why has the author selected this quote? What parallels can you draw between Nick and Alice? Has Nick outgrown the world of the Feddens? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
One of the concepts of the "line of beauty" is the ogee arch. Explain the symbolism of the ogee and find examples of when this image appears in the text. What does the ogee mean to Nick? What about the Ogee company? How does its curve reflect the highs and lows of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Rachel refers to a politician's affair as "vulgar and unsafe." How do you see the homosexual encounters as portrayed in the text? Are they portrayed as vulgar or as beautiful? Why do you think Hollinghurst makes his scenes so explicit?
This section contains 971 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)