|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is prize for the welly-whanging champion?
2. Where has Wani been while he has been away from London?
3. What doesn't Wani tell Nick he has bought?
4. What does M. Mitterand say is the "supreme political virtue"?
5. What is Elena's first impression of Nick?
Essay Topic 1
Henry James is a key figure in the novel. James explores the theme of alienation and also of contrasting old wealth vs. vulgar nouveau riche. How has Hollinghurst also used these themes in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the role of public vs. private space in the text. Give examples and show how public and private spaces can also be scenes of irony (keyholder's garden and the Gents).
Essay Topic 3
Early in the text, Nick receives a gift of cologne called "Je Promets". At the end of the novel, an ad for the cologne appears in the back pages of Ogee magazine. Explain the symbolism and significance of this cologne and how it represents the changes that have occurred in Nick's life.
This section contains 971 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)