Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is prize for the welly-whanging champion?
2. Where has Wani been while he has been away from London?
3. What doesn't Wani tell Nick he has bought?
4. What does M. Mitterand say is the "supreme political virtue"?
5. What is Elena's first impression of Nick?
Early in the text, Nick receives a gift of cologne called "Je Promets". At the end of the novel, an ad for the cologne appears in the back pages of Ogee magazine. Explain the symbolism and significance of this cologne and how it represents the changes that have occurred in Nick's life.
The context of the novel is Great Britain in the 1980s. How would the plot be different if it took place in another time period? Why is this time period necessary to reveal subtleties of plot --AIDS scare, economics, politics, etc.?
Rachel refers to a politician's affair as "vulgar and unsafe." How do you see the homosexual encounters as portrayed in the text? Are they portrayed as vulgar or as beautiful? Why do you think Hollinghurst makes his scenes so explicit?
This section contains 236 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)