|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What artist paints the landscape that Lionel gives to Rachel and Gerald?
2. What party's candidate does Nick vote for in the election?
3. Who does Nick catch coming out of the same room as Wani during the Feddens' anniversary party?
4. What has the château next to the manor been turned into?
5. What does Wani offer to give Nick in his will?
Essay Topic 1
Nick's last name "Guest" symbolizes his role as an outsider who is allowed to visit momentarily and precariously in the world of the more socially advanced. Using examples from the text, explain how Nick is considered a "guest" by other characters. How does his room's location in the Fedden household further symbolize his relationship to the family?
Essay Topic 2
The context of the novel is Great Britain in the 1980s. How would the plot be different if it took place in another time period? Why is this time period necessary to reveal subtleties of plot --AIDS scare, economics, politics, etc.?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the use of euphemism in the text. What major things are never talked about and which seemingly problematic issues are discussed? How does this reveal the cultural sensibilities of the characters?
This section contains 972 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)