|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Wani's license plate?
2. What pub does Leo refer to as a "flea-box"?
3. What animal is on the emblem of the Périgueux delicatessen?
4. How has Lord Kessler made his fortune?
5. What does Toby's girlfriend Sophie do for a living?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Badger get his nickname?
2. Why doesn't Nick like Strauss?
3. What does Nick ask Ricky to pretend?
4. How does Wani drink his coffee?
5. What does Nick say he plans on studying in graduate school?
6. Why doesn't Lady Partridge like Pat Crowther?
7. What bothers Nick about being called a "twit" by Leo?
8. Describe Howard and Simon's relationship.
9. Describe Gerald's postcard to Nick.
10. Why is Wani nervous about leaving his things at the Pond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Early in the text, Nick receives a gift of cologne called "Je Promets". At the end of the novel, an ad for the cologne appears in the back pages of Ogee magazine. Explain the symbolism and significance of this cologne and how it represents the changes that have occurred in Nick's life.
Essay Topic 2
How are women portrayed in the text? There are mothers, mistresses, annoying girlfriends, and a Prime Minister. Using the examples of the main female characters (Rachel, Catherine, Penny, Lady Partridge, Margaret Thatcher), what similarities can be seen in the female characters? How do the female characters influence the lives of the male characters?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the use of euphemism in the text. What major things are never talked about and which seemingly problematic issues are discussed? How does this reveal the cultural sensibilities of the characters?
This section contains 587 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)