|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the line that Nick quotes about baldness come from?
2. What business is Lord Toft in?
3. What is aichmophobia?
4. What is happening in Notting Hill during Toby's birthday?
5. Whose shirt is Leo wearing when he meets Nick for the first time?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Hawkeswood described in Pevsner?
2. What is the tradition in the Fedden household having to do with the deer?
3. Describe the book that Lord Kessler shows Nick.
4. What is so scadalous about Toby's job?
5. Why doesn't Nick like Strauss?
6. What does Nick ask Ricky to pretend?
7. How is Gerald represented in the book about the election?
8. What is it about Nick that the Feddens trusted?
9. How does Badger get his nickname?
10. How does Nick explain his frequent absences to the Feddens?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the politics at play in the novel. It is the time of the "Tory Revolution." Explain the effects that politics have on the plot.
Essay Topic 2
Henry James is a key figure in the novel. James explores the theme of alienation and also of contrasting old wealth vs. vulgar nouveau riche. How has Hollinghurst also used these themes in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the double meaning of Henry James' quote about being able to tolerate "a great deal of gilt." How does this quote relate to Nick's life?
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)