|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Nick's dinner jacket belong to originally?
2. Who is Fales?
3. What disease does Lady Partridge nurse Badger through?
4. Who is the composer of the "Sabre Dance"?
5. Where do the Titchfields live?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Nick like Strauss?
2. Who is Norman Kent?
3. What is the Maltby scandal?
4. Describe Howard and Simon's relationship.
5. What is Nina Glaserova's background?
6. What is it about Nick that the Feddens trusted?
7. What acting experience has Sophie had?
8. What bothers Nick about being called a "twit" by Leo?
9. What does Mrs. Charles pray for?
10. What does Toby say has been Sophie's father's most famous remark?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Nick is surrounded by many people who love "things more than people". Using examples in the text, explain how the snobbishness of the wealthy puts a heavy value on possessions over relationships. How do the characters relate to their possessions? How does this compare to how they relate to each other?
Essay Topic 2
What is the role of the media in the text? Begin by looking at the discussion of the "Mordant Analyst" on the opening pages and continue to the effects of the tabloids on the characters at the end of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Wani can be seen as the supremely decadent character. Analyze his character and explain his motivations for his behavior. Is he selfish or a product of his environment? What is his family life like? Is he enabled in his selfishness?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)