|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Isabel's mother bring her to drink when she arrives at the Graysmarks' home in Part Three: Chapter 25?
2. When does Sergeant Knuckey say Isabel made her confession when he speaks with Hannah in Part Three: Chapter 35?
3. What newspaper is Tom reading in the beginning of Part Two: Chapter 22?
4. What sport does Bluey discuss with Tom in the beginning of Part Two: Chapter 19?
5. How long does Tom say he spent in Bunbury jail in Part Three: Chapter 36?
Short Essay Questions
1. What led to the loss of Tom's mother in his life as a child?
2. What does Bluey question Tom about during his visit in Part Two: Chapter 19? Why?
3. What kind of pet does Lucy ask for in Part Two: Chapter 22? Why?
4. Why does Hannah come to the jail in Part Three: Chapter 32?
5. What does Hannah discover in her letterbox in Part Two: Chapter 23? How does she respond?
6. Why does Hannah come to Isabel's home in Part Three: Chapter 34?
7. What causes the argument between Tom and Isabel in Part Two: Chapter 22?
8. How does Hannah respond to Grace's game with her dolls in Part Three: Chapter 28? Why?
9. What exchange takes place between Bluey and Tom in Part Three: Chapter 28?
10. Where does Lucy go when she wanders off in Part Two: Chapter 22? How does Tom find her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author use of foreshadowing in The Light Between Oceans. What are some examples of foreshadowing in the narrative? How does each example serve the story? Does the author employ any "red herrings" in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the characters of Sergeant Knuckey and Sergeant Spragg in the novel. How do each of these officers perceive Tom and Isabel? How do they treat Tom and Isabel? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think the author sets up the inciting event of the novel in the prologue? How does this affect the linear structure of the narrative? What information is established in the prologue of the novel?
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)