|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Sergeant Spragg from?
2. Where does Sergeant Knuckey tell Tom he will be taken after his committal hearing in Part Three: Chapter 31?
3. Who is the officer that attempts to handcuff Tom when he disembarks the boat in Part Three: Chapter 25?
4. What does Isabel accuse Tom of during their argument in Part Two: Chapter 22?
5. What is embroidered on the pinafore of the rag doll that Hannah gives Grace in Part Three: Chapter 28?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes the argument between Tom and Isabel in Part Two: Chapter 22?
2. How does Hannah respond to the pretend game Grace plays with the clothespins in Part Three: Chapter 31?
3. How does Hannah respond to Sergeant Knuckey's visit in Part Three: Chapter 35?
4. Why is Bluey arguing with his mother in Part Three: Chapter 28?
5. What do Isabel and Ralph discuss in Part Three: Chapter 34?
6. What exchange takes place between Tom and Sergeant Knuckey in Part Three: Chapter 31?
7. What conversation takes place between Tom and Ralph in Part Two: Chapter 20?
8. How is the encounter between Isabel and Grace/Lucy described in Part Three: Chapter 30?
9. From whom does Tom receive a letter in Part Two: Chapter 19? What is revealed in the letter?
10. How is the reunion of Hannah and Grace described in Part Two: Chapter 26?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the themes of motherhood and loss in The Light Between Oceans. How many miscarriages does Isabel suffer? How do these impact her emotionally and mentally? What do you think motherhood means in the context of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Tom send the anonymous letter to Hannah Roennfeldt? Do you think that Tom hopes for the outcome that comes from sending these letters? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think the author sets up the inciting event of the novel in the prologue? How does this affect the linear structure of the narrative? What information is established in the prologue of the novel?
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)