|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Hannah when Grace runs away from home in Part Three: Chapter 33?
2. What food does Grace take with her when she runs away in Part Three: Chapter 33?
3. Who is the preacher that suggests Hannah "look for Christ in the life around her" in Part Two: Chapter 23?
4. Where is Sergeant Spragg from?
5. Who gives Lucy a prayer book at her christening?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes the argument between Tom and Isabel in Part Two: Chapter 22?
2. What do Isabel and Ralph discuss in Part Three: Chapter 34?
3. How is the encounter between Isabel and Grace/Lucy described in Part Three: Chapter 30?
4. What led to the loss of Tom's mother in his life as a child?
5. How is the reunion of Hannah and Grace described in Part Two: Chapter 26?
6. Why is Bluey arguing with his mother in Part Three: Chapter 28?
7. What does Bluey question Tom about during his visit in Part Two: Chapter 19? Why?
8. How does Bill Graysmark respond when he arrives at the police station in Part Two: Chapter 25?
9. What is revealed in Tom's letter to Isabel in Part Three: Chapter 34?
10. From whom does Tom receive a letter in Part Two: Chapter 19? What is revealed in the letter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author's use of irony in The Light Between Oceans. How does the author employ dramatic irony? How is verbal irony used? What are the purposes of these examples and how do they serve the story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the themes of deceit and betrayal in The Light Between Oceans. How does the author explore these themes through characters and actions in the story? How are these themes developed through symbolism, imagery, and other stylistic devices?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the character of Isabel Graysmark Sherbourne in The Light Between Oceans. What is Isabel's family like? What draws Isabel to Tom? How would you compare Isabel's temperament to Tom's?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)