|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what subject did Tom earn his college degree?
2. For how long have Tom and Isabel been on Janus Rock in the beginning of Part One: Chapter 8?
3. In what year did Septimus convince the baronet to invest in a land deal, according to the narrator in Part Two: Chapter 16?
4. Who are Violet Graysmark's sons that died in the war?
5. What year is it when Part One: Chapter 7 begins?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the setting of Janus Rock described in the novel's prologue?
2. What led to the estrangement between Hannah and her father? When was it resolved?
3. What is related of Point Partageuse's history in Part One: Chapter 2?
4. What happens to the dead body in Part Two: Chapter 11?
5. What gift does Isabel present to Tom in Part One: Chapter 7?
6. What has led to the strain in Tom and Isabel's relationship in Part Two: Chapter 16?
7. What strikes Tom about the guidebook for lighthouse keepers in Part Two: Chapter 13?
8. How is the meeting of Isabel and Tom described in Part One: Chapter 2?
9. What information do Tom and Isabel relate about Lucy to family and friends in Part Two: Chapter 12?
10. When and where does Part Two: Chapter 14 take place?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the character of Lucy/Grace in the novel. How does Lucy's personality emerge as she grows older? Would you consider her a happy child? Why or why not? How is she affected by the separation from Isabel and Tom?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author use of foreshadowing in The Light Between Oceans. What are some examples of foreshadowing in the narrative? How does each example serve the story? Does the author employ any "red herrings" in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the charges set against Tom after Lucy's return to Point Partageuse. What infractions has Tom committed in regard to his position as a lighthouse keeper? What are the gravest of the charges that Tom faces? How did these charges surface?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)