|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year did Septimus convince the baronet to invest in a land deal, according to the narrator in Part Two: Chapter 16?
2. What does Isabel designate as Lucy's birthday in Part Two: Chapter 13?
3. How old does Isabel claim to be when Tom visits her family's home for the first time in Part One: Chapter 5?
4. Where does Tom learn the basics of lighthouse keeping at his first relief posting in Part One: Chapter 1?
5. Where is the Manchester Queen said to be headed in Part Two: Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Tom initially given the temporary assignment at Janus Rock?
2. What information does Isabel learn from Dr. Sumpton in Part Two: Chapter 14?
3. Why does Isabel become enraged when the supply boat arrives in Part One: Chapter 9?
4. What is significant about the gravestone that Tom and Isabel encounter on their way to Lucy's christening in Part Two: Chapter 15?
5. When and where does Part Two: Chapter 14 take place?
6. What is Isabel doing in the beginning of Part Two: Chapter 10?
7. When and where does Part One: Chapter 1 begin?
8. What is revealed in the letter that Hannah receives in Part Two: Chapter 16?
9. What does Tom recall about tracking down his mother in Part One: Chapter 8?
10. Who sends Tom a letter in Part One: Chapter 4? How does he respond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Tom send the anonymous letter to Hannah Roennfeldt? Do you think that Tom hopes for the outcome that comes from sending these letters? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the historical context of The Light Between Oceans. How would you describe the political atmosphere seen in the novel? What impact did the Great War have on Point Partaguese? How did the War change peoples' perspectives?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the author's use of irony in The Light Between Oceans. How does the author employ dramatic irony? How is verbal irony used? What are the purposes of these examples and how do they serve the story?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)