|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tom find wedged under the rib of the bow of the boat in Part Two: Chapter 11?
2. How old was Septimus Potts when he first disembarked at Fremantle?
3. What does Isabel designate as Lucy's birthday in Part Two: Chapter 13?
4. How long does Ralph say it will be before he returns to Janus Rock when he drops Tom off in Part One: Chapter 3?
5. Who is described in Part One: Chapter 2 as the town butcher in Point Partageuse?
Short Essay Questions
1. What gift does Isabel present to Tom in Part One: Chapter 7?
2. What has led to the strain in Tom and Isabel's relationship in Part Two: Chapter 16?
3. What is related of Septimus Potts's childhood in Part Two: Chapter 16?
4. What led to the disappearance of Franz and Grace?
5. How is the setting of Janus Rock described in the novel's prologue?
6. Who are Violet and Bill Graysmark and how are these characters described?
7. When and where does Part Two: Chapter 14 take place?
8. How is the meeting of Isabel and Tom described in Part One: Chapter 2?
9. What event is described in the novel's prologue? When does this event occur?
10. Who sends Tom a letter in Part One: Chapter 4? How does he respond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the narrative style of The Light Between Oceans. From what narrative point of view is the novel related? Is the narrator's perspective omniscient or limited? What are the effects of these choices by the author?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the main settings in The Light Between Oceans. Where does Tom begin his service as a lighthouse operator? What brings him to Point Partageuse and Janus Rock? How would you compare these settings?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the author use of foreshadowing in The Light Between Oceans. What are some examples of foreshadowing in the narrative? How does each example serve the story? Does the author employ any "red herrings" in the story?
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)