|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old does Tom say he will be turning this year in Part One: Chapter 5?
2. What is the name of Betsy Parmenter's son?
3. What is the name of isabel's father?
4. Where does Tom learn the basics of lighthouse keeping at his first relief posting in Part One: Chapter 1?
5. How tall did Septimus Potts grow to be?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are Violet and Bill Graysmark and how are these characters described?
2. What gift does Isabel present to Tom in Part One: Chapter 7?
3. What is related of Septimus Potts's childhood in Part Two: Chapter 16?
4. What information does Isabel learn from Dr. Sumpton in Part Two: Chapter 14?
5. What happens to the dead body in Part Two: Chapter 11?
6. What information do Tom and Isabel relate about Lucy to family and friends in Part Two: Chapter 12?
7. What does Tom discover on the dinghy before he sends it off to sea in Part Two: Chapter 11? Why is this significant?
8. What led to the estrangement between Hannah and her father? When was it resolved?
9. Why does Isabel become enraged when the supply boat arrives in Part One: Chapter 9?
10. Why is Tom initially given the temporary assignment at Janus Rock?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the historical context of The Light Between Oceans. How would you describe the political atmosphere seen in the novel? What impact did the Great War have on Point Partaguese? How did the War change peoples' perspectives?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author use of foreshadowing in The Light Between Oceans. What are some examples of foreshadowing in the narrative? How does each example serve the story? Does the author employ any "red herrings" in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Tom send the anonymous letter to Hannah Roennfeldt? Do you think that Tom hopes for the outcome that comes from sending these letters? Why or why not?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)