|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Isabel name the lagoon in Part One: Chapter 7?
2. Who performs Lucy's christening in Part Two: Chapter 15?
3. At what time does Tom light up the lighthouse on his first night at Janus Rock?
4. What does Tom find wedged under the rib of the bow of the boat in Part Two: Chapter 11?
5. Where is the Manchester Queen said to be headed in Part Two: Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. What led to the disappearance of Franz and Grace?
2. What strikes Tom about the guidebook for lighthouse keepers in Part Two: Chapter 13?
3. What is Isabel doing in the beginning of Part Two: Chapter 10?
4. How is the setting of Janus Rock described in the novel's prologue?
5. When and where does Part Two: Chapter 14 take place?
6. What is related of Septimus Potts's childhood in Part Two: Chapter 16?
7. What happens to the dead body in Part Two: Chapter 11?
8. What event is described in the novel's prologue? When does this event occur?
9. What would you describe as the major difference between Tom and Isabel in the novel?
10. How would you describe Tom's commitment to his job as a lighthouse keeper?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the narrative style of The Light Between Oceans. From what narrative point of view is the novel related? Is the narrator's perspective omniscient or limited? What are the effects of these choices by the author?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the characters of Hannah and Franz Roennfeldt in The Light Between Oceans. What led to Franz's disappearance with Grace? How has this disappearance affected Hannah? How does Hannah respond when her daughter is located?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the author use of foreshadowing in The Light Between Oceans. What are some examples of foreshadowing in the narrative? How does each example serve the story? Does the author employ any "red herrings" in the story?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)