|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose little boy does Isabel describe ending up in an orphanage in Part Two: Chapter 10?
2. Where does Betsy Parmenter say she lives in her letter in Part Two: Chapter 14?
3. What does Tom give to Isabel for her birthday in Part One: Chapter 8?
4. Who is the author of The Australian Mother's Manual of Efficient Child-Rearing?
5. Where does Tom learn the basics of lighthouse keeping at his first relief posting in Part One: Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What gift does Isabel present to Tom in Part One: Chapter 7?
2. How is the meeting of Isabel and Tom described in Part One: Chapter 2?
3. What is related of Septimus Potts's childhood in Part Two: Chapter 16?
4. How is the setting of Janus Rock described in the novel's prologue?
5. What information does Isabel learn from Dr. Sumpton in Part Two: Chapter 14?
6. What does Isabel do with the infant when she takes it from Tom in Part Two: Chapter 10?
7. What is significant about the gravestone that Tom and Isabel encounter on their way to Lucy's christening in Part Two: Chapter 15?
8. What is related of Point Partageuse's history in Part One: Chapter 2?
9. Why does Isabel become enraged when the supply boat arrives in Part One: Chapter 9?
10. Who sends Tom a letter in Part One: Chapter 4? How does he respond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the narrative style of The Light Between Oceans. From what narrative point of view is the novel related? Is the narrator's perspective omniscient or limited? What are the effects of these choices by the author?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the character of Tom Sherbourne in The Light Between Oceans. What is revealed of Tom's family and his history in the war? How is Tom affected by these experiences? How does Tom's character evolve in the course of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Tom send the anonymous letter to Hannah Roennfeldt? Do you think that Tom hopes for the outcome that comes from sending these letters? Why or why not?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)