|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the keeper that Tom replaces at Janus Rock?
(a) Bluey Smart.
(b) Ralph Addicott.
(c) Septimus Potts.
(d) Trimble Docherty.
2. What is Isabel's last name?
3. What year is it when Part One: Chapter 7 begins?
4. Where does Betsy Parmenter say she lives in her letter in Part Two: Chapter 14?
5. When did telegraph service arrive in Point Partageuse, according to the narrator in Part One: Chapter 2?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Isabel's mother?
2. In what year did Septimus convince the baronet to invest in a land deal, according to the narrator in Part Two: Chapter 16?
3. On what date was Tom born?
4. What year was it when Septimus Potts arrived in Fremantle as a child?
5. How high is the light in the lighthouse at Janus Rock?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tom travel to Janus Rock in Part One: Chapter 3? Who accompanies him?
2. What event is described in the novel's prologue? When does this event occur?
3. How would you describe Tom's commitment to his job as a lighthouse keeper?
4. What is significant about the gravestone that Tom and Isabel encounter on their way to Lucy's christening in Part Two: Chapter 15?
5. Why does Tom's assignment at Janus Rock become permanent?
6. How is the setting of Janus Rock described in the novel's prologue?
7. What gift does Isabel present to Tom in Part One: Chapter 7?
8. What strikes Tom about the guidebook for lighthouse keepers in Part Two: Chapter 13?
9. What does Tom discover on the dinghy before he sends it off to sea in Part Two: Chapter 11? Why is this significant?
10. What is related of Point Partageuse's history in Part One: Chapter 2?
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)