Part One: Prologue, Chapters 1 - 2
Part One: Prologue, Chapters 1 – 2
• The prologue to The Light Between Oceans opens on April 27, 1926.
• This brief chapter introduces the reader to Tom and Isabel, the main characters of the novel.
• The third-person narrator indicates that “On the day of the miracle, Isabel was kneeling at the cliff’s edge, tending the small, newly made driftwood cross” (3).
• Isabel is alerted by Tom’s calls and goes to the shore, where Tom has discovered a boat washed up on the island.
• Inside the boat are a dead man and a living baby.
• Isabel takes the baby indoors and tends to it by bathing and feeding it.
• Tom wants to send a report regarding the boat, but Isabel convinces him to wait.
• Part One: Chapter 1 takes the reader back in time to December 16, 1918.
• Tom Sherbourne has recently applied to work as a lighthouse keeper and is...
This section contains 4,092 words
(approx. 14 pages at 300 words per page)