|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What personal item did Crystal lose on the night of September 21st?
2. What news does Joe give to Carl during his visit when Carl is not in his wheelchair?
3. What is Carl thinking about when Virgil finds him watching the horizon one morning?
4. How do Joe and Lila find Andy Fisher?
5. Who does Joe originally think DJ is?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Joe handle the man who causes Lila to run from the bar?
2. Who is Joe trying to please by getting Carl exonerated?
3. What does Carl do that causes Gibbs to want revenge?
4. How is Joe able to survive the night lost in the woods and snow?
5. Why does the local sheriff take Joe to jail instead of home?
6. What new information does Andrew tell Joe and Lila about the night of September 21st?
7. How is Doug Lockwood's house symbolic of the man himself?
8. How did Grandpa Bill die?
9. How does Doug Lockwood incapacitate Joe?
10. Why does the author include a chapter about the play, "The Glass Menagerie"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Attending college is important to Joe Talbert. It will not only allow him to find a job, but it is also an accomplishment that will give him pride in himself. What kind of life did Joe have growing up? What does graduating from college represent to him? What is he willing to sacrifice to achieve his goal?
Essay Topic 2
Chapters 18 and 19 discuss Carl's trial. Is it possible that Carl wanted to go to prison? What evidence is there that might make it look this way? Is there more to learn about Carl than has already been presented? What might he still be hiding from Joe?
Essay Topic 3
At the end of Chapter 14, Joe receives a call from his mother's landlord. How does this phone call, and the situation in Chapter 15, signal that Joe will soon need to make a decision regarding his mother and brother? What do you think he will have to decide? What do you think he will choose to do?
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)