|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What items are missing from Joe's car when it is found after he was almost killed?
2. What slows Joe down as he is trying to get free of the chains on his legs?
3. What happened while Carl was in Vietnam during July of 1968?
4. Who is Detective Max Rupert?
5. Who started the rumor that Andy killed Crystal?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is discovered about Lila while they are at the bar after the play?
2. How does Joe and Lila's relationship change in Chapter 39?
3. How does Joe handle the man who causes Lila to run from the bar?
4. What does Carl say is the real reason he ended up saving Virgil that day in Vietnam?
5. What does Carl wish to see before he dies?
6. What new information does Andrew tell Joe and Lila about the night of September 21st?
7. What does Lila believe will be revealed in the coded parts of Crystal's diary?
8. Why does the local sheriff take Joe to jail instead of home?
9. What do Joe and Lila see when they compare pictures of the fire?
10. What does Carl do that causes Gibbs to want revenge?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Andrew Fisher does not want to discuss the murder of Crystal Hagen. He is angry about the way he was treated during and after the trial. He also feels a lot of guilt for not speaking up after hearing what was written in Crystal's diary. What happened to Andrew that caused him to feel the way he does? Does he believe that Carl murdered Crystal? Why do you believe the way you do?
Essay Topic 2
Joe Talbert's autistic brother, Jeremy, is a big part of Joe's life and represents a core conflict for Joe's character. How does his autism affect Joe and their mother? Does Joe view his brother as a blessing, a burden, both, or neither? How do you know this?
Essay Topic 3
At Carl's funeral, Virgil gives Joe Carl's medals telling him that Carl wanted Joe to have them. What does the gift of the medals say abut Carl and Joe's relationship at the close of the book? How does Carl's death affect Virgil? How do you think Joe feels about receiving Carl's medals?
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)