|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What personal item did Crystal lose on the night of September 21st?
2. Where does Lila pick Joe up after his ordeal with Doug?
3. Where does Professor Sanden teach law?
4. What does Doug do when he realizes Joe has escaped?
5. Who does Joe tell that he is going to see Doug Lockwood?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Carl see before he leaves the hut that haunts him?
2. How is Doug Lockwood's house symbolic of the man himself?
3. What is Lila's story?
4. Why is it so important that Crystal wore glasses?
5. What does Carl tell Joe about looking into Crystal's murder by himself?
6. Why does the author include a chapter about the play, "The Glass Menagerie"?
7. What new information does Andrew tell Joe and Lila about the night of September 21st?
8. What does Carl do that causes Gibbs to want revenge?
9. Why does the local sheriff take Joe to jail instead of home?
10. What is discovered about Lila while they are at the bar after the play?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Carl's conviction for Crystal's murder marked him as a pedophile. Berthel Collins tells Joe that being labeled as a pedophile likely made Carl's prison term more difficult. Why does he think this? What does he tell Joe about prison culture in general and Stillwater Prison in particular?
Essay Topic 2
Joe wants Carl to be exonerated before he dies. He sees that there was an injustice and he wants to fix it. However, Joe also views Carl's exoneration as a way of absolving himself of his guild over the death of his grandfather. How are these events connected? How can helping Carl also help Joe forgive himself? Why does Joe feel he needs forgiveness?
Essay Topic 3
How does the rape and murder of the girl in Vietnam parallel the murder of Crystal Hagen? How does Carl's experience in Vietnam shed light on his behavior toward Crystal and why she might have viewed his behavior as creepy? What does Joe now believe about Crystal's murder and Carl's involvement after learning about Vietnam?
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)