|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joe tell Mr. Rupert his goal is?
2. Who found Crystal's glasses?
3. Who dies during the exchange of fire while Carl is trying to protect Virgil?
4. Who is the antagonist in the story of Carl's time in Vietnam?
5. Who gave Joe and Lila the evidence from Carl's case?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Carl see before he leaves the hut that haunts him?
2. What is discovered about Lila while they are at the bar after the play?
3. How does Joe and Lila's relationship change in Chapter 39?
4. How did Grandpa Bill die?
5. What does Lila believe will be revealed in the coded parts of Crystal's diary?
6. What two mistakes does Doug make when he kidnaps Joe?
7. What changes between Lila and Joe in Chapter 21?
8. What does Carl wish to see before he dies?
9. How is Doug Lockwood's house symbolic of the man himself?
10. Why does the local sheriff take Joe to jail instead of home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Chapters 18 and 19 discuss Carl's trial. Is it possible that Carl wanted to go to prison? What evidence is there that might make it look this way? Is there more to learn about Carl than has already been presented? What might he still be hiding from Joe?
Essay Topic 2
Lila's backstory is revealed in Chapter 28. How does she feel about her past? How does it still affect her in the present? What does Joe say in response to her admission? What is it about his life that makes him feel the way he does?
Essay Topic 3
Lila Nash comes to Joe Talbert's house one night for a spaghetti dinner. While she is there they argue about Carl Iverson and if he will tell the truth to Joe when it comes to Crystal Hagen's murder. Lila seems intent on arguing with everything Joe says. How is their argument about Carl a metaphor for their relationship at the moment? How does Lila try to stop Joe from wanting to get to know her? Does it work? Why or why not?
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)