|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What disorder does Jeremy live with?
2. Where does Joe assume Virgil and Carl met?
3. What happened when Joe brought home his first girlfriend, Phyllis, in high school?
4. How old was Joe when Grandpa Bill died?
5. Where does Joe currently work?
Short Essay Questions
1. Virgil accuses Joe of using Carl. Is this true?
2. What illness does Carl Iverson have? Is he recieveing treatment?
3. How does Joe try to get Lila Nash to notice him at the beginning of the book?
4. Why is Carl's request for a speedy trial something that his defense considered unusual?
5. What does Joe's mother say that she knows will cause Joe to feel guilty?
6. Why does Joe Talbert visit Hillview Manor at the beginning of the book?
7. Why does Terry Bremer call Joe when his mother does not come home?
8. Why did Joe step into a bar for the first time when he was ten years old?
9. Joe's mother is bipolar. How does Joe describe her behavior in Chapter 3?
10. Joe's mother is arrested and calls Joe for help. Joe speaks to the arresting officer, but he is not concerned about his mother. What is Joe's main concern when his mother is arrested?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Joe often uses the lure of Crystal's case to engage Lila in conversation. How does Lila's experience on the high school debate team give Joe a chance to gain her assistance? Does Lila seem interested in the Crystal Hagen case? How does she feel about Carl Iverson?
Essay Topic 2
Andrew Fisher does not want to discuss the murder of Crystal Hagen. He is angry about the way he was treated during and after the trial. He also feels a lot of guilt for not speaking up after hearing what was written in Crystal's diary. What happened to Andrew that caused him to feel the way he does? Does he believe that Carl murdered Crystal? Why do you believe the way you do?
Essay Topic 3
When Joe finally becomes the person responsible for Jeremy, he does not view it in the same negative way he did at the beginning of the story. Why has Joe's outlook changed? How has his involvement with Carl changed the way he looks at life? How does Joe feel about taking care of Jeremy now?
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)