|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What puzzle does Carl direct Joe to take a look at?
2. Why is Virgil so convinced that Carl did not kill Crystal?
3. Who does Joe credit with keeping his mother under control when he was a boy?
4. Who was Carl's lead attorney in his murder case?
5. How old was Joe the first time he stepped foot in a bar?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the purpose of Carl's "dying declaration"?
2. How does Joe use Carl's case to get to know Lila better?
3. Why is Carl's request for a speedy trial something that his defense considered unusual?
4. Carl and Joe make some big assumptions about each other during their first meeting. What does Carl assume about Joe?
5. Joe's mother is arrested and calls Joe for help. Joe speaks to the arresting officer, but he is not concerned about his mother. What is Joe's main concern when his mother is arrested?
6. How does Joe resolve his guilt of leaving Jeremy with his mother and Larry?
7. What crime was Carl Iverson convicted of committing?
8. How does the author describe Crystal Hagen?
9. Why does Joe Talbert visit Hillview Manor at the beginning of the book?
10. What illness does Carl Iverson have? Is he recieveing treatment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lila Nash comes to Joe Talbert's house one night for a spaghetti dinner. While she is there they argue about Carl Iverson and if he will tell the truth to Joe when it comes to Crystal Hagen's murder. Lila seems intent on arguing with everything Joe says. How is their argument about Carl a metaphor for their relationship at the moment? How does Lila try to stop Joe from wanting to get to know her? Does it work? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Joe wants Carl to be exonerated before he dies. He sees that there was an injustice and he wants to fix it. However, Joe also views Carl's exoneration as a way of absolving himself of his guild over the death of his grandfather. How are these events connected? How can helping Carl also help Joe forgive himself? Why does Joe feel he needs forgiveness?
Essay Topic 3
Andrew Fisher does not want to discuss the murder of Crystal Hagen. He is angry about the way he was treated during and after the trial. He also feels a lot of guilt for not speaking up after hearing what was written in Crystal's diary. What happened to Andrew that caused him to feel the way he does? Does he believe that Carl murdered Crystal? Why do you believe the way you do?
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)