|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What state does the story take place in?
2. Why might Carl have been treated badly by other prisoners while he served his time?
3. What item does Joe give to Jeremy before he leaves to go to work?
4. Who was Carl Iverson found guilty of murdering?
5. How are Joe and Jeremy related?
Short Essay Questions
1. Joe's mother is arrested and calls Joe for help. Joe speaks to the arresting officer, but he is not concerned about his mother. What is Joe's main concern when his mother is arrested?
2. Why does Jeremy look to the corners of the room when Joe is talking to him?
3. What crime was Carl Iverson convicted of committing?
4. Carl and Joe make some big assumptions about each other during their first meeting. What does Carl assume about Joe?
5. In Chapter 4, Joe finds a photograph of Carl Iverson being taken into custody. What does he see when he looks at Carl's face in the photo?
6. Joe's mother is bipolar. How does Joe describe her behavior in Chapter 3?
7. How does Joe try to get Lila Nash to notice him at the beginning of the book?
8. How does Joe resolve his guilt of leaving Jeremy with his mother and Larry?
9. Virgil accuses Joe of using Carl. Is this true?
10. What is the purpose of Carl's "dying declaration"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Each time Joe is presented with a threatening male figure his first instinct is to use violence to express his anger, yet when he is confronted by both Doug and Danny he is unable to defend himself. Why might the author have written the character of Joe in this way? What does Joe's ability to fight say about him? In what circumstances does he usually resort to violence? Why is it that when it comes to defending himself, as opposed to someone else, he is not able to do it?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Virgil Gray and why is he important to the story? How does Virgil act as a bridge between Joe and Carl? Without Virgil would Joe have taken the time to find out more about Carl as a person?
Essay Topic 3
Andrew Fisher does not want to discuss the murder of Crystal Hagen. He is angry about the way he was treated during and after the trial. He also feels a lot of guilt for not speaking up after hearing what was written in Crystal's diary. What happened to Andrew that caused him to feel the way he does? Does he believe that Carl murdered Crystal? Why do you believe the way you do?
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)