|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How was Berthel Collins involved in Carl's case?
2. Carl Iverson is dying of which illness?
3. How does Joe feel after telling his secret to Carl?
4. What name does Crystal call Carl in her diary?
5. Which of Crystal Hagen's personal posessions is discussed in the trial files?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Carl's request for a speedy trial something that his defense considered unusual?
2. What does Mrs. Tate, the school counselor, tell Crystal on the day she is killed?
3. Why does Terry Bremer call Joe when his mother does not come home?
4. Carl and Joe make some big assumptions about each other during their first meeting. What does Carl assume about Joe?
5. How did Carl save Virgil's life in Vietnam?
6. What is the purpose of Carl's "dying declaration"?
7. How does Joe end up interviewing Carl Iverson?
8. In Chapter 4, Joe finds a photograph of Carl Iverson being taken into custody. What does he see when he looks at Carl's face in the photo?
9. What does Carl require from Joe if he is going to allow him to know and write his life story?
10. How does Joe try to get Lila Nash to notice him at the beginning of the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Andrew Fisher does not want to discuss the murder of Crystal Hagen. He is angry about the way he was treated during and after the trial. He also feels a lot of guilt for not speaking up after hearing what was written in Crystal's diary. What happened to Andrew that caused him to feel the way he does? Does he believe that Carl murdered Crystal? Why do you believe the way you do?
Essay Topic 2
Joe Talbert's autistic brother, Jeremy, is a big part of Joe's life and represents a core conflict for Joe's character. How does his autism affect Joe and their mother? Does Joe view his brother as a blessing, a burden, both, or neither? How do you know this?
Essay Topic 3
Lila's backstory is revealed in Chapter 28. How does she feel about her past? How does it still affect her in the present? What does Joe say in response to her admission? What is it about his life that makes him feel the way he does?
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)