|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Joe convince the sheriff to let him go, after he is picked up from the woods?
(a) He convinces the sheriff to look for Doug Lockwood.
(b) He tells the sheriff to look at his driver's license.
(c) He tells the sheriff to call Max Rupert.
(d) He tells the sheriff that is brother is home alone.
2. What does Joe call the technique he uses on the drunk who insults Lila?
(a) Joe's Blaster.
(b) Ronnie's rope-a-dope.
(c) The Sucker Punch.
3. What memory has been haunting Joe's sleep since Lila broke the code in the diary?
(a) His grandfather's death.
(b) His first kiss with Lila.
(c) His brother's birth.
(d) His mother's abuse.
4. Why was Carl not in his wheelchair by the window when Joe came to see him toward the end of the novel?
(a) He escaped and went home.
(b) He had passed away the night before.
(c) He was too sick to get out of bed.
(d) He had been released back to jail.
5. What do the scars on Lila's shoulder reveal about her past?
(a) She was cut during the rape.
(b) She used to cut herself.
(c) She has tattoos.
(d) She broke her arm in high school.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Joe tell that he is going to see Doug Lockwood?
2. What does Doug do to Joe?
3. What slows Joe down as he is trying to get free of the chains on his legs?
4. What play does Lila invite Joe to see with her?
5. What does the girl in Vietnam have in common with Crystal?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Carl tell Joe about looking into Crystal's murder by himself?
2. What is the rest of Carl's story from Vietnam, specifically, how his and Gibbs' relationship ended?
3. What two mistakes does Doug make when he kidnaps Joe?
4. How does Joe's honesty about his grandfather's death cause a shift in his relationship with Carl?
5. Why is it so important that Crystal wore glasses?
6. What does Joe say his new goal is while talking to Max Rupert in Chapter 30?
7. Why does the local sheriff take Joe to jail instead of home?
8. What does Lila believe will be revealed in the coded parts of Crystal's diary?
9. Why does the author include a chapter about the play, "The Glass Menagerie"?
10. How does Doug Lockwood incapacitate Joe?
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)