|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What memory has been haunting Joe's sleep since Lila broke the code in the diary?
(a) His brother's birth.
(b) His first kiss with Lila.
(c) His grandfather's death.
(d) His mother's abuse.
2. What does Sergeant Gibbs do to the girl Carl saw running out of the grass?
(a) He helps her escape.
(b) He rapes and kills her.
(c) He pretends not to see her.
(d) He takes her prisoner.
3. What does the girl in Vietnam have in common with Crystal?
(a) They were both shot.
(b) They were both from Vietnam.
(c) They were both burned.
(d) They were both reported missing.
4. What key piece of evidence in Crystal's murder may still have DNA on it?
(a) Crystal's hair.
(b) Crystal's underwear.
(c) Crystal's fingernail.
(d) Crystal's diary.
5. What was the conclusion of the DNA test?
(a) The nail was not Crystal's.
(b) Crystal's nail did not contain enough DNA to test.
(c) Carl was the killer.
(d) Carl was not the killer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Lila's high school nickname?
2. Who is at Joe's door when he and Lila are making breakfast together?
3. Where does Professor Sanden teach law?
4. What does Joe call the technique he uses on the drunk who insults Lila?
5. Why was Carl not in his wheelchair by the window when Joe came to see him toward the end of the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Grandpa Bill die?
2. How does Doug Lockwood incapacitate Joe?
3. How is Doug Lockwood's house symbolic of the man himself?
4. What do Joe and Lila see when they compare pictures of the fire?
5. What new information does Andrew tell Joe and Lila about the night of September 21st?
6. What does Carl wish to see before he dies?
7. What does Carl see before he leaves the hut that haunts him?
8. Why does the author include a chapter about the play, "The Glass Menagerie"?
9. How does Joe's honesty about his grandfather's death cause a shift in his relationship with Carl?
10. Who is Joe trying to please by getting Carl exonerated?
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)