|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What emotion does Joe see in Carl's face when looking at the picture of Carl's arrest?
2. What item does Joe give to Jeremy before he leaves to go to work?
(a) An alarm clock.
(b) A baseball bat.
(c) A cell phone.
(d) A gun.
3. Who is Lila Nash?
(a) Joe's neighbor.
(b) Jeremy's teacher.
(c) Joe's mother.
(d) Jeremy's babysitter.
4. What was on the floor of the boat that caused Grandpa Bill to fall into the water?
(a) Joe's toys.
(b) Joe's empty bottle.
(c) Joe's favorite book.
(d) Joe's tackle box.
5. Why does Joe have to see his mother up at the Mower County Courthouse?
(a) She has a bail hearing.
(b) She is a lawyer.
(c) She works there and needs a ride home.
(d) She is helping him get Carl's trial records.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Joe currently work?
2. What will happen if Jeremy is left home alone again?
3. Who does Joe credit with keeping his mother under control when he was a boy?
4. What does Carl say to Joe when he is finished telling the story of his grandfather's death?
5. What disorder does Joe's mother suffer from?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the purpose of Carl's "dying declaration"?
2. Why does Joe Talbert visit Hillview Manor at the beginning of the book?
3. What does Carl require from Joe if he is going to allow him to know and write his life story?
4. In Chapter 4, Joe finds a photograph of Carl Iverson being taken into custody. What does he see when he looks at Carl's face in the photo?
5. Joe's mother is bipolar. How does Joe describe her behavior in Chapter 3?
6. Virgil accuses Joe of using Carl. Is this true?
7. Why does Jeremy look to the corners of the room when Joe is talking to him?
8. How does Joe end up interviewing Carl Iverson?
9. How does Joe use Carl's case to get to know Lila better?
10. What illness does Carl Iverson have? Is he recieveing treatment?
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)