|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Grandpa Bill warn Joe not to leave on the bottom of the boat?
(a) A beer bottle.
(b) His book.
(c) His fishing pole.
2. Where does Joe currently work?
(a) University of Minnesota.
(b) Molly's Pub.
(c) The Piedmont Club.
(d) Dive Bar.
3. Who was Carl's lead attorney in his murder case?
(a) John Peterson.
(b) Berthel Collins.
(c) Carl represented himself.
(d) Virgil Gray.
4. Where does Joe assume Virgil and Carl met?
(a) At the nursing home.
(b) As children.
(c) In chemotherapy.
(d) In prison.
5. How does Joe feel after telling his secret to Carl?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the secret Joe blurts out to Carl?
2. What item does Joe give to Jeremy before he leaves to go to work?
3. Who did Crystal meet with at school on the day of her death?
4. Which of Crystal Hagen's personal posessions is discussed in the trial files?
5. What does Joe see on Jeremy's back?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Joe step into a bar for the first time when he was ten years old?
2. What illness does Carl Iverson have? Is he recieveing treatment?
3. Joe's mother is arrested and calls Joe for help. Joe speaks to the arresting officer, but he is not concerned about his mother. What is Joe's main concern when his mother is arrested?
4. How does the short document about Carl's war service conflict with his crime?
5. What does Mrs. Tate, the school counselor, tell Crystal on the day she is killed?
6. Why is Carl's request for a speedy trial something that his defense considered unusual?
7. How does Joe try to get Lila Nash to notice him at the beginning of the book?
8. What does Carl require from Joe if he is going to allow him to know and write his life story?
9. What do we learn about Joe's temperment when he confronts Larry and his mother?
10. Carl and Joe make some big assumptions about each other during their first meeting. What does Carl assume about Joe?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)