|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What state does the story take place in?
2. Where does Joe assume Virgil and Carl met?
(a) As children.
(b) At the nursing home.
(c) In prison.
(d) In chemotherapy.
3. What happened when Joe brought home his first girlfriend, Phyllis, in high school?
(a) His brother embarrassed him by not behaving kindly toward Phyllis.
(b) His mother was drunk and passed out on the couch in their apartment when he got home.
(c) His mother embarrassed him by being drunk and fighting with a man she owed money.
(d) His mother embraced Phyllis and liked her more than Joe did.
4. What prevented the boat from floating alongside Joe's grandfather?
(a) Joe was holding onto the anchor rope.
(b) There was too fast of a current.
(c) The boat was stuck on tree branches.
(d) Joe was holding onto the motor pull.
5. In which month does the story begin?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lila's apartment smell like?
2. What does Carl demand from Joe if he wants him to tell his story?
3. Who was Carl's lead attorney in his murder case?
4. Carl Iverson is dying of which illness?
5. What item does Joe give to Jeremy before he leaves to go to work?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mrs. Tate, the school counselor, tell Crystal on the day she is killed?
2. Joe's mother is arrested and calls Joe for help. Joe speaks to the arresting officer, but he is not concerned about his mother. What is Joe's main concern when his mother is arrested?
3. Why does Jeremy look to the corners of the room when Joe is talking to him?
4. What crime was Carl Iverson convicted of committing?
5. What does Carl require from Joe if he is going to allow him to know and write his life story?
6. How did Carl save Virgil's life in Vietnam?
7. Virgil accuses Joe of using Carl. Is this true?
8. How does Joe resolve his guilt of leaving Jeremy with his mother and Larry?
9. What do we learn about Joe's temperment when he confronts Larry and his mother?
10. How does Joe end up interviewing Carl Iverson?
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)