|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is unusual about some of Crystal's diary entries?
(a) They are written in code.
(b) They are written by her boyfriend.
(c) Some of the pages are erased.
(d) They are cut from newspapers.
2. What did Grandpa Bill warn Joe not to leave on the bottom of the boat?
(a) A beer bottle.
(c) His book.
(d) His fishing pole.
3. What emotion does Joe see in Carl's face when looking at the picture of Carl's arrest?
4. Why might Carl have been treated badly by other prisoners while he served his time?
(a) He was labled a pedophile.
(b) He was labled a murderer.
(c) He started fights at the prison on numerous occasions.
(d) Many prisoners liked Crystal and her family.
5. What prevented the boat from floating alongside Joe's grandfather?
(a) Joe was holding onto the anchor rope.
(b) There was too fast of a current.
(c) Joe was holding onto the motor pull.
(d) The boat was stuck on tree branches.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word does Jeremy often use to begin his sentences?
2. How does Joe describe his looks?
3. Where does Joe currently work?
4. Who did Crystal meet with at school on the day of her death?
5. When does Janet think Carl will die?
Short Essay Questions
1. Carl and Joe make some big assumptions about each other during their first meeting. What does Carl assume about Joe?
2. How does Joe resolve his guilt of leaving Jeremy with his mother and Larry?
3. What do we learn about Joe's temperment when he confronts Larry and his mother?
4. Why does Terry Bremer call Joe when his mother does not come home?
5. How does Joe end up interviewing Carl Iverson?
6. What does Mrs. Tate, the school counselor, tell Crystal on the day she is killed?
7. What illness does Carl Iverson have? Is he recieveing treatment?
8. How does Joe try to get Lila Nash to notice him at the beginning of the book?
9. What is the purpose of Carl's "dying declaration"?
10. What does Joe's mother say that she knows will cause Joe to feel guilty?
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)