|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Joe originally think DJ is?
(a) Crystal's step-father.
(b) Crystal's step-brother.
(c) Crystal's boyfriend.
(d) Crystal's mother.
2. What does Joe call the technique he uses on the drunk who insults Lila?
(a) The Sucker Punch.
(b) Joe's Blaster.
(d) Ronnie's rope-a-dope.
3. What was Doug Lockwood doing behind his wife's back?
(a) Cheating on her with other women.
(b) Visiting other women.
(c) Going to strip clubs.
(d) Stealing money from the church.
4. Where does Professor Sanden teach law?
(a) At the Innocence Project.
(b) Hamline University.
(c) He is retired.
(d) University of Minnesota.
5. What is the last thing Joe thinks before he passes out at Doug's place?
(a) That he made a mistake about Doug.
(b) That he deserves to be killed.
(c) That he is going to die.
(d) That he let an old man beat him.
6. Why is Professor Sanden concerned there may not be DNA evidence from the crime?
(a) DNA only lasts for a few weeks.
(b) There was no DNA at the scene of Crystal's murder.
(c) The police department did not save evidence longer than 10 years.
(d) They did not have DNA evidence at the time of Crystal's death.
7. Where does Joe awaken after he passes out at Doug's place?
(a) In the trunk of Doug's car.
(b) In the street.
(c) In the trunk of his own car.
(d) In the woods.
8. Who is the antagonist in the story of Carl's time in Vietnam?
(a) Virgil Gray.
(b) Sergeant Gibbs.
(c) President Johnson.
(d) Joe Talbert.
9. Why was Carl not in his wheelchair by the window when Joe came to see him toward the end of the novel?
(a) He was too sick to get out of bed.
(b) He escaped and went home.
(c) He had passed away the night before.
(d) He had been released back to jail.
10. Who started the rumor that Andy killed Crystal?
(a) The newspapers.
(b) Carl's attorney.
(c) The state's attorney.
(d) Crystal's family.
11. What does Sergeant Gibbs do to the girl Carl saw running out of the grass?
(a) He rapes and kills her.
(b) He takes her prisoner.
(c) He pretends not to see her.
(d) He helps her escape.
12. What slows Joe down as he is trying to get free of the chains on his legs?
(a) He is too disoriented to know where he is.
(b) He is weak from blood loss.
(c) He is not strong enough to break the chains.
(d) His fingers are numb from cold.
13. Where does Doug Lockwood live?
(a) In an old farmhouse.
(b) In a city.
(c) In a suburban home.
(d) In a religious commune.
14. What does Carl see in the elephant grass that causes him to defy Gibbs' order to shoot?
(a) An old man.
(b) A girl.
(c) A boy.
(d) An old woman.
15. What do the scars on Lila's shoulder reveal about her past?
(a) She was cut during the rape.
(b) She has tattoos.
(c) She broke her arm in high school.
(d) She used to cut herself.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Detective Max Rupert?
2. How does Joe slow the car down so he can jump out of the trunk?
3. What happens when Joe loses his temper with Doug?
4. What happened while Carl was in Vietnam during July of 1968?
5. What does Doug do to Joe?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)