|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did Carl's lawyer write to for help breaking the diary code?
(b) Crystial's best friend.
(c) The Department of Defense.
(d) Mrs. Tate.
2. What name does Crystal call Carl in her diary?
(a) Creepy Carl.
(b) The Alcoholic.
(c) Naughty Neighbor.
(d) Crystal never mentions Carl in her diary.
3. What did Grandpa Bill warn Joe not to leave on the bottom of the boat?
(a) His book.
(c) His fishing pole.
(d) A beer bottle.
4. What is the secret Joe blurts out to Carl?
(a) He killed his grandfather.
(b) His grandfather molested him.
(c) He watched his grandfather die.
(d) His grandfather is not really dead.
5. Carl Iverson is dying of which illness?
(b) Alzheimer's disease.
(c) Colon cancer.
(d) Pancreatic cancer.
6. Who is Lila Nash?
(a) Jeremy's teacher.
(b) Joe's neighbor.
(c) Jeremy's babysitter.
(d) Joe's mother.
7. Who did Crystal meet with at school on the day of her death?
(a) Her cheerleading squad.
(b) Her boyfriend and his friends.
(c) The school principal.
(d) The school counselor.
8. What state does the story take place in?
9. What will happen if Jeremy is left home alone again?
(a) Joe's mother and brother will be evicted.
(b) Terry will call child protective services.
(c) Joe will have to move back home.
(d) Jeremy will have to live with Joe.
10. What did Carl do during the trail that was considered unusual?
(a) He asked for the trial transcripts.
(b) He wanted to talk to Crystal's mother.
(c) He asked to represent himself.
(d) He requested a speedy trial.
11. Why might Carl have been treated badly by other prisoners while he served his time?
(a) He was labled a murderer.
(b) He started fights at the prison on numerous occasions.
(c) Many prisoners liked Crystal and her family.
(d) He was labled a pedophile.
12. What is Occam's razor?
(a) The principle that says all things being equal, the simplest conclusion is usually the correct one.
(b) The idea that people who want to kill someone will always find a way.
(c) The murder weapon in the Crystal Hagen case.
(d) The weapon used to cut Carl's throat while he was in prison.
13. What issue does Joe not want to tell Carl about?
(a) His grandfather.
(b) His school work.
(c) His brother.
(d) His report.
14. What did Joe's mother's apartment smell like when he was a child?
(a) Fresh-baked bread.
(b) Greek food.
(c) Old wood.
15. Why is Virgil hostile toward Joe when they first meet?
(a) He thinks Joe wants to kill Carl.
(b) He thinks Joe really killed Crystal.
(c) He thinks Joe is using Carl.
(d) He thinks Joe is an undercover reporter.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lila's apartment smell like?
2. Who was Carl's lead attorney in his murder case?
3. How does Joe describe his looks?
4. Who does Joe's brother, Jeremy, live with?
5. How are Joe and Jeremy related?
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)