|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Carl's only visitor in the nursing home besides Joe?
(a) Mrs. Lorngren.
(b) Virgil Gray.
(d) Crystal Hagen.
2. When does Janet think Carl will die?
(a) By the spring.
(b) By New Year's Day.
(c) By Christmas.
(d) By Thanksgiving.
3. What word does Jeremy often use to begin his sentences?
(a) You know.
4. What prevented the boat from floating alongside Joe's grandfather?
(a) Joe was holding onto the motor pull.
(b) There was too fast of a current.
(c) The boat was stuck on tree branches.
(d) Joe was holding onto the anchor rope.
5. What is the name of Carl Iverson's nursing home?
(a) Lorngren Heights.
(b) Green Acers.
(c) Hillview Manor.
(d) Stillwater Corrections.
6. Which of the following is NOT a condition of Joe's mom's release from custody?
(a) Her promise to appear at all future hearings.
(b) She must wear an alcohol monitoring bracelet.
(c) She will be placed under house arrest.
(d) No possession or consumption of alcohol.
7. What disorder does Jeremy live with?
(a) Drug addiction.
(b) Cerebral Palsy.
(c) Bipolar disorder.
8. What issue does Joe not want to tell Carl about?
(a) His brother.
(b) His report.
(c) His grandfather.
(d) His school work.
9. What will happen if Jeremy is left home alone again?
(a) Joe's mother and brother will be evicted.
(b) Terry will call child protective services.
(c) Jeremy will have to live with Joe.
(d) Joe will have to move back home.
10. Why does Joe open the file labeled 'autopsy photos'?
(a) He wants to impress Lila.
(b) He likes crime photos.
(c) He thinks it is a different file.
(d) He wants to test his mettle.
11. What does Carl demand from Joe if he wants him to tell his story?
(a) The right to tell the story any way he wants.
(b) To be exonerated.
(c) Access to the police report.
(d) Fairness in how the story is told.
12. Why does Joe have to see his mother up at the Mower County Courthouse?
(a) She is helping him get Carl's trial records.
(b) She has a bail hearing.
(c) She is a lawyer.
(d) She works there and needs a ride home.
13. What happened when Joe brought home his first girlfriend, Phyllis, in high school?
(a) His mother was drunk and passed out on the couch in their apartment when he got home.
(b) His brother embarrassed him by not behaving kindly toward Phyllis.
(c) His mother embarrassed him by being drunk and fighting with a man she owed money.
(d) His mother embraced Phyllis and liked her more than Joe did.
14. What does Lila's apartment smell like?
(a) Mold and cats.
(b) Alcohol and cigarettes.
(c) Baby powerder and vanilla.
(d) Fresh-baked bread.
15. What item does Joe give to Jeremy before he leaves to go to work?
(a) A baseball bat.
(b) An alarm clock.
(c) A cell phone.
(d) A gun.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is unusual about some of Crystal's diary entries?
2. What is wrong with Virgil's body?
3. Why might Carl have been treated badly by other prisoners while he served his time?
4. What did Grandpa Bill warn Joe not to leave on the bottom of the boat?
5. How did Joe get the money for his mother's bail?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)