|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Elizabeth have to execute Norfolk?
2. What did Elizabeth think was an essential part of a stable state?
3. The Treaty of Bristol allied what two countries?
4. Who stage managed Elizabeth's famous speech to the troops?
5. How did Elizabeth take her meals?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Essex's coup fail?
2. Did Elizabeth accept a marriage proposal from Anjou? Explain.
3. How was Elizabeth's health throughout her reign?
4. Why was Norfolk's sentence commuted to beheading instead of being hanged, drawn, and quartered?
5. What major changes were taking place in Elizabeth's court?
6. Why was Elizabeth conflicted about punishing Mary?
7. What were the results of Essex's Ireland campaign?
8. Why may Leicester have married Lettice Knollys?
9. Why, ultimately, did Elizabeth decide against marrying Alencon?
10. What was the English Enterprise?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who was Lady Amy Dudley? Who was her husband? How did Amy Dudley meet her end? Was her death the result of a political power struggle? How did Amy Dudley's death affect Robert Dudley's standing at court? With the Queen? Explain the author's theory on the sequence of events. Do you agree or disagree? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Research Edmund Spenser's The Fairie Queen. How is Elizabeth represented in the work? Are there any other references in the text to Elizabeth? Do you think she was so well represented in literature because she was a patroness of the arts? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the differences between Elizabeth I and Mary I. How did they differ in the stance on religion? What examples can you give about their individual reigns? How did they differ in personality? Which sister was the more fit ruler of England? Why? Support your argument with examples from the text.
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)