|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What rumor persisted about Essex's secret meeting with Tyrone?
2. What secret arrangement did Essex make with Tyrone?
3. Who did Leicester secretly marry so he could have a legitimate heir?
4. Why did Elizabeth avoid the homes of her childhood?
5. What did Elizabeth do for exercise?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the Queen avoid residences from her childhood?
2. What did Burghley's death symbolize?
3. What was the biggest factor in England's defeat of the Spanish Armada?
4. What major changes were taking place in Elizabeth's court?
5. What was the Treaty of Blois?
6. Why was Norfolk's sentence commuted to beheading instead of being hanged, drawn, and quartered?
7. Who was involved in the Catholic plot to take Elizabeth's throne?
8. What was the English Enterprise?
9. What Protestant country wanted Elizabeth to be its Queen as well?
10. Why may Leicester have married Lettice Knollys?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who was Mary Queen of Scots? What were her claims to the English throne? How did she pose a threat to Elizabeth? Explain Mary's downfall in Scotland and subsequent behavior toward Elizabeth. Why did Elizabeth have such difficulty punishing the wayward Queen? Where did Mary live after fleeing Scotland? How did she further incriminate herself? Ultimately, what scheme led to her death?
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Essex. Though at one time he was poised to become the greatest power in England, what was his downfall? Why did the Queen give him so many chances? What specific instances were key in his fate? Be sure to refer back to the text to support your examination.
Essay Topic 3
Who was Lady Amy Dudley? Who was her husband? How did Amy Dudley meet her end? Was her death the result of a political power struggle? How did Amy Dudley's death affect Robert Dudley's standing at court? With the Queen? Explain the author's theory on the sequence of events. Do you agree or disagree? Why?
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)