|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Edward VI perish in 1553?
2. What member of Mary Queen of Scots' entourage did Lord Darnley have killed?
3. Why did the Queen need heirs?
4. Who was Elizabeth's childhood teacher?
5. Who succeeded King Francis II?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Elizabeth's policies toward her people's religion differ from Mary's?
2. What factors played into the death of Amy Dudley?
3. Why did Elizabeth I decide to stress English nationalism?
4. What were the Casket Letters?
5. How did Elizabeth show her dominance in public?
6. Who was suspected in his murder?
7. Why was Mary Queen on Scots a threat to Elizabeth I?
8. What were some of the reasons that the Queen reveled in her relationship with Robert Dudley?
9. What is Alison Weir's point of view on the reign of Elizabeth I?
10. Why was Elizabeth so sensitive about the succession?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did religious strife shape Elizabeth's reign? Examine her reign from beginning to end. What major events were spearheaded by religious conflict? What were Elizabeth's opinions about religion? What church did she attend?
Essay Topic 2
Elizabeth's court popularized the idea of courtly love. What is courtly love? How was courtly love practiced? How might such an institution have benefited the Elizabethan court? How might such an institution have flattered Elizabeth herself? Examine aspects of Elizabeth's personality. How did courtly love appeal to her vanity?
Essay Topic 3
Why did Elizabeth refuse to marry? What were the political implications of her singleness? Who did she claim to be married to? Why did Elizabeth personally abhor the state of matrimony? What incidents in her past may have contributed to this opinion? What other theories does the author mention on Elizabeth's spinsterhood? How did she continually used marriage as a bargaining chip to protect England?
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)