|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was it dangerous for Mary to go abroad?
2. Why did Elizabeth remake Dudley into the Earl of Leicester?
3. What member of Elizabeth's court did Leicester begin to pay attention to?
4. Who did Cecil, Norfolk, and Sussex want the Queen to marry?
5. Who publicly accused Dudley of interfering in state business?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Mary Queen on Scots a threat to Elizabeth I?
2. Why did Elizabeth I decide to stress English nationalism?
3. Who was suspected in his murder?
4. According to the author, did the Queen have a physical relationship with Robert Dudley? Why or why not?
5. How did Lord Darnley die?
6. How did Elizabeth's policies toward her people's religion differ from Mary's?
7. What is one example in Chapter 4 of the Queen using her single status to protect the interests of her kingdom?
8. Why did Elizabeth I feel competitive toward Mary Queen of Scots?
9. What were some of the reasons that the Queen reveled in her relationship with Robert Dudley?
10. How did Europe's political environment change upon the death of Francis II?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What problems did England face at the end of Elizabeth's reign? Were they similar at all to the problems faced at the beginning of her reign? Why or why not? In retrospect, how did people come to view Elizabeth's reign? What is her reputation today? After reading the biography, has your opinion about the Virgin Queen changed at all? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Who was Mary Queen of Scots? What were her claims to the English throne? How did she pose a threat to Elizabeth? Explain Mary's downfall in Scotland and subsequent behavior toward Elizabeth. Why did Elizabeth have such difficulty punishing the wayward Queen? Where did Mary live after fleeing Scotland? How did she further incriminate herself? Ultimately, what scheme led to her death?
Essay Topic 3
Who was Lady Amy Dudley? Who was her husband? How did Amy Dudley meet her end? Was her death the result of a political power struggle? How did Amy Dudley's death affect Robert Dudley's standing at court? With the Queen? Explain the author's theory on the sequence of events. Do you agree or disagree? Why?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)