|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why may Cecil have killed Amy Dudley?
2. What was one of the theories of why the Queen so enjoyed the company of the person in #25?
3. What was Elizabeth's nickname for Robert Dudley when he was Master of Horse?
4. Who was the Earl of Bothwell?
5. To what did Mary Queen of Scots think she was entitled?
Short Essay Questions
1. During her coronation service, to whom was Elizabeth symbolically married?
2. Who did Catherine de' Medici suggest the Queen marry in 1565?
3. Why did Elizabeth I decide to stress English nationalism?
4. Why was Elizabeth cautious about her religion during the reign of Mary I?
5. According to the author, did the Queen have a physical relationship with Robert Dudley? Why or why not?
6. What is Alison Weir's point of view on the reign of Elizabeth I?
7. What factors played into the death of Amy Dudley?
8. How was Mary's claim to Elizabeth's throne strengthened on June 19, 1566?
9. How did members of the court generally feel about Robert Dudley?
10. Who was suspected in his murder?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why did Elizabeth refuse to marry? What were the political implications of her singleness? Who did she claim to be married to? Why did Elizabeth personally abhor the state of matrimony? What incidents in her past may have contributed to this opinion? What other theories does the author mention on Elizabeth's spinsterhood? How did she continually used marriage as a bargaining chip to protect England?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast two of Elizabeth's famous speeches, the speech to the troops at Tilbury and the Golden speech. How are they similar? How are they different? Is it immediately apparent that Elizabeth gave the speeches at very different point in her life? Why or why not? How did her gifts in oratory solidify her legend?
Essay Topic 3
How did religious strife shape Elizabeth's reign? Examine her reign from beginning to end. What major events were spearheaded by religious conflict? What were Elizabeth's opinions about religion? What church did she attend?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)