|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How was the court split in regard to the Queen's favorite?
2. Why did Elizabeth renew her marriage negotiations with Erik of Sweden?
3. In what year did Henry VIII die?
4. With whom may Elizabeth I have been in love?
5. What, the author theorizes, may have been part of Robin's allure for the Queen?
Short Essay Questions
1. During her coronation service, to whom was Elizabeth symbolically married?
2. What were some of the reasons that the Queen reveled in her relationship with Robert Dudley?
3. What happened to Mary Queen of Scots secretary, Rizzio?
4. How did Elizabeth's policies toward her people's religion differ from Mary's?
5. Who did Catherine de' Medici suggest the Queen marry in 1565?
6. How did Europe's political environment change upon the death of Francis II?
7. What were the Casket Letters?
8. Why was Elizabeth so sensitive about the succession?
9. Why did Elizabeth I decide to stress English nationalism?
10. Why was Mary Queen on Scots a threat to Elizabeth I?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Elizabeth's childhood. Who were her parents? How did her mother's end affect her throughout her life? What were her relationships with her siblings? How did these relationships continue to affect her adult life? What effect did her past experiences have on her willingness to marry?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the differences between Elizabeth I and Mary I. How did they differ in the stance on religion? What examples can you give about their individual reigns? How did they differ in personality? Which sister was the more fit ruler of England? Why? Support your argument with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Elizabeth was notoriously mercurial. How did such aspects of her personality affect her reign? Where did such aspects make themselves known? How different may her reign have been if she made a decision and stuck to it? What did her councillors think about her constantly changing her mind? In the end, what did she accomplish by being so adaptable?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)