|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did Leicester secretly marry so he could have a legitimate heir?
(a) Katherine Howard.
(b) Lettice Knollys.
(c) Anne Boleyn.
(d) Katherine Parr.
2. Who was appointed a Privy Councillor at the young age of 27?
3. Who did Sir Walter Raleigh secretly marry?
(a) Bess Throckmorton.
(b) Molly Brown.
(c) Lettice Knollys.
(d) Mary Queen of Scots.
4. What title did Elizabeth create for William Cecil on February 25, 1571?
(a) The Baron Sussex.
(b) The Baron Burghley.
(c) The Duke of Norfolk.
(d) The Earl of Leicester.
5. How did Elizabeth take her meals?
(a) She only ate with the Earl of Leicester.
(b) Privately; she disliked eating in public.
(c) In huge banquet halls: she hated eating alone.
(d) She ate with her ladies in waiting.
6. What right did the Queen have in regard to her ladies in waiting?
(a) She had the right to approve their marriages.
(b) She had the right to execute them at will.
(c) She had the right to demand they dance.
(d) She had the right to send them to France.
7. What was the English Enterprise?
(a) It was an economic plan launched by Elizabeth I.
(b) It was a plan between Mary and Phillip II to take control of England.
(c) It was an apology from the Pope for excommunicating Elizabeth I.
(d) It was an old document written by Henry VIII.
8. Who did Leicester secretly marry?
(a) Lettice Knollys.
(b) Douglas, the Lady Sheffield.
(c) Mary Queen of Scots.
(d) Elizabeth I.
9. What kind of relationship did Elizabeth have with Essex?
(a) He was like a son to her.
(b) They were lovers.
(c) They were bitter enemies.
(d) They did not know each other at all.
10. Who succeeded to the French throne after the Duke of Anjou's death?
(a) Erik of Sweden, a Marxist.
(b) Henry of Bourbon, a Huguenot.
(c) Phillip of Spain, a Catholic.
(d) John Proctor, a Puritan.
11. Who was the leader of the pro-war anti-Spanish faction at court?
12. What were the dual reasons for Elizabeth to live in such a large image?
(a) She was desperately trying to secure a marriage.
(b) She was competing with Mary Queen of Scots.
(c) She was afraid of being forgotten.
(d) She was stroking her ego and keeping up appearances for her people.
13. Who was Roberto Ridolfi?
(a) He was Norfolk's secretary.
(b) He was almost assuredly Elizabeth's lover.
(c) He was Catherine de'Medici's ambassador.
(d) He was a papal agent who wanted Mary Queen of Scots on the English throne.
14. What happened to those who had been knighted by Essex?
(a) The Queen beheaded them.
(b) They were obliged to leave England.
(c) The Queen stripped them of their titles.
(d) The Queen held a great banquet in their honor.
15. Who was sent as Essex's replacement in Ireland?
Short Answer Questions
1. What Papal Bull did Gregory XIII reissue?
2. When Anjou left her court for the last time, what did it symbolize?
3. What did Puritans desire from Elizabeth?
4. In what house was the Queen's most famous progress throughout the kingdom?
5. Who wrote The Fairie Queen?
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)