|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Elizabeth take her meals?
(a) In huge banquet halls: she hated eating alone.
(b) Privately; she disliked eating in public.
(c) She ate with her ladies in waiting.
(d) She only ate with the Earl of Leicester.
2. Who was the leader of the pro-war anti-Spanish faction at court?
3. Why was the Tudor court nomadic?
(a) The Queen enjoyed traveling.
(b) The entourage was too big and expensive for one house to host them all.
(c) It was not fashionable to stay in any one place for more than 48 hours.
(d) Subjects were in fierce competition to host the court.
4. Who succeeded to the French throne after the Duke of Anjou's death?
(a) Erik of Sweden, a Marxist.
(b) Henry of Bourbon, a Huguenot.
(c) Phillip of Spain, a Catholic.
(d) John Proctor, a Puritan.
5. What church did Elizabeth lead?
(a) The Catholic Church.
(b) The Puritan Church.
(c) The Anglican Church.
(d) The Marxist Church.
6. What Papal Bull did Gregory XIII reissue?
(a) The Papal Bull excommunicating Phillip II.
(b) The Papal Bull excommunicating Elizabeth.
(c) The Papal Bull excommunicating Ireland.
(d) The Papal Bull excommunicating Montezuma.
7. By 1587, how many pieces of jewelry did Elizabeth own?
(b) Six hundred twenty-eight.
(c) Seven thousand.
(d) One hundred and two.
8. How was Essex executed?
(a) He was beheaded.
(b) He was drawn and quartered.
(c) He was hanged.
(d) He was drowned.
9. What country asked Elizabeth to become its Queen?
(c) The Netherlands.
10. Who was appointed a Privy Councillor at the young age of 27?
11. What right did the Queen have in regard to her ladies in waiting?
(a) She had the right to execute them at will.
(b) She had the right to approve their marriages.
(c) She had the right to send them to France.
(d) She had the right to demand they dance.
12. How did Elizabeth keep up her image as she aged?
(a) She took up a weekly skin care regiment.
(b) She wore elaborate costumes and makeup.
(c) She retired from public life and commissioned portraits.
(d) She hired young look-alikes to go into public.
13. Who was Roberto Ridolfi?
(a) He was a papal agent who wanted Mary Queen of Scots on the English throne.
(b) He was Norfolk's secretary.
(c) He was almost assuredly Elizabeth's lover.
(d) He was Catherine de'Medici's ambassador.
14. To whom did Mary Queen of Scots bequeath her claim to the English throne after her death?
(a) William the Conqueror.
(b) James VI of Scotland.
(c) Phillip of Spain.
(d) Henry of Bourbon.
15. Upon his return to England, how did Essex greatly offend the Queen?
(a) He challenged her in public.
(b) He burst into her dressing chamber.
(c) He completely ignored her.
(d) He married her lady in waiting.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Hugh O'Neill?
2. What was the ceremony King's Evil?
3. What secret arrangement did Essex make with Tyrone?
4. Who entered English territory on a sail to the Netherlands?
5. What rumor persisted about Essex's secret meeting with Tyrone?
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)