|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was Roberto Ridolfi?
(a) He was Norfolk's secretary.
(b) He was a papal agent who wanted Mary Queen of Scots on the English throne.
(c) He was almost assuredly Elizabeth's lover.
(d) He was Catherine de'Medici's ambassador.
2. By 1587, how many pieces of jewelry did Elizabeth own?
(a) One hundred and two.
(b) Six hundred twenty-eight.
(d) Seven thousand.
3. Which English explorer blatantly sacked Spanish ships?
(a) The Earl of Essex.
(c) Sir Walter Raleigh.
(d) Sir Francis Drake.
4. In her portraits, Elizabeth wanted the myth of the Virgin Queen to take precedence over what?
5. Of what religious persuasion was Henry III?
6. What did Elizabeth do whenever people thought she was ill?
(a) She would demand a written correction of the rumor.
(b) She would make a public display of her health.
(c) She would shut herself in her chamber.
(d) She would throw fits in her council meetings.
7. How did the Duke of Norfolk die?
(a) He was hanged, drawn, and quartered.
(b) He was shot.
(c) He was beheaded.
(d) He was drowned.
8. Why was Sir Walter Raleigh unpopular at court?
(a) He was arrogant and rude.
(b) He was Spanish.
(c) He enjoyed bagpipe music.
(d) He was in favor of Elizabeth's abdication.
9. How was Essex executed?
(a) He was hanged.
(b) He was beheaded.
(c) He was drawn and quartered.
(d) He was drowned.
10. Who was assisting Mary Queen of Scots in a bid for the English throne?
(a) Erik of Sweden.
(b) Rob Roy of Ireland.
(c) Philip of Spain.
(d) The Archduke Ferdinand.
11. Who else was involved in Ridolfi's plot?
(a) Sussex and Lettice Knollys.
(b) Lord Burghley and the Earl of Leicester.
(c) Westmorland and Northumberland.
(d) Norfolk and Mary Queen of Scots.
12. What Papal Bull did Gregory XIII reissue?
(a) The Papal Bull excommunicating Montezuma.
(b) The Papal Bull excommunicating Ireland.
(c) The Papal Bull excommunicating Elizabeth.
(d) The Papal Bull excommunicating Phillip II.
13. Why did Elizabeth have to execute Norfolk?
(a) She promised the Earl of Leicester she would sentence Norfolk to death.
(b) She had to make an example of either him or Mary who was an anointed sovereign.
(c) Norfolk insulted her and claimed she was an incompetent ruler.
(d) She was forced into executing him by the Parliament.
14. What was the Queen's favorite household?
(b) The Tower of London.
(c) Westminster Abbey.
(d) Nonsuch in Surrey.
15. How did Elizabeth take her meals?
(a) In huge banquet halls: she hated eating alone.
(b) She only ate with the Earl of Leicester.
(c) She ate with her ladies in waiting.
(d) Privately; she disliked eating in public.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Elizabeth deliver her famous speech to the troops?
2. What was courtly love?
3. How did Elizabeth keep up her image as she aged?
4. What right did the Queen have in regard to her ladies in waiting?
5. What was the name of Leicester's illegitimate son?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)