|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Elizabeth punish her Catholic subjects for failing to attend Anglican church?
(a) She issued them fines.
(b) She excommunicated them.
(c) She executed them.
(d) She exiled them.
2. Why was Sir Walter Raleigh unpopular at court?
(a) He enjoyed bagpipe music.
(b) He was in favor of Elizabeth's abdication.
(c) He was arrogant and rude.
(d) He was Spanish.
3. Who succeeded to the French throne after the Duke of Anjou's death?
(a) Phillip of Spain, a Catholic.
(b) John Proctor, a Puritan.
(c) Erik of Sweden, a Marxist.
(d) Henry of Bourbon, a Huguenot.
4. Who did Leicester choose to lavish his affections on after Douglas Howard?
(a) Katherine Parr.
(b) Lettice Knollys.
(c) Katherine Howard.
(d) Anne Boleyn.
5. What did all of Essex's coup supporters have in common?
(a) They were all short of money.
(b) They were all Spanish.
(c) They were all committed to the Tower.
(d) They were all Catholic.
6. What was the name of Leicester's illegitimate son?
7. How was the feel of Elizabeth's court described?
(a) It felt like a school.
(b) It felt like an army.
(c) It felt like a choir.
(d) It felt like a family.
8. What was the English Enterprise?
(a) It was an apology from the Pope for excommunicating Elizabeth I.
(b) It was an economic plan launched by Elizabeth I.
(c) It was an old document written by Henry VIII.
(d) It was a plan between Mary and Phillip II to take control of England.
9. Why weren't there many women at Elizabeth's court?
(a) The female courtiers did not like her and refused to go.
(b) She preferred to be the center of male attention.
(c) Most women died in childbirth.
(d) The men did not bring them because they wanted to marry Elizabeth.
10. To whom did Mary Queen of Scots bequeath her claim to the English throne after her death?
(a) Henry of Bourbon.
(b) James VI of Scotland.
(c) William the Conqueror.
(d) Phillip of Spain.
11. What country asked Elizabeth to become its Queen?
(c) The Netherlands.
12. Where did Elizabeth deliver her famous speech to the troops?
13. What was the result of Essex's campaign in Ireland?
(a) It was a complete success.
(b) It was a complete disaster.
(c) It brought England under Irish control.
(d) It brought Ireland to its knees.
14. What rumor persisted about Essex's secret meeting with Tyrone?
(a) Essex asked Tyrone to let him win.
(b) Essex asked Tyrone for his sister's hand in marriage.
(c) Essex asked Tyrone to help him overthrow Elizabeth.
(d) Essex and Tyrone were involve in an illicit relationship.
15. In what house was the Queen's most famous progress throughout the kingdom?
(c) The Tower.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who finally accepted the crown of the Netherlands?
2. How did the Duke of Norfolk die?
3. How did Elizabeth prefer to solve her problems?
4. Who was Roberto Ridolfi?
5. Why did Elizabeth avoid the homes of her childhood?
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)