|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose marriage proposal did the Queen turn down because she wished to remain single?
(a) William Cecil.
(b) Robin Dudley.
(c) The Archduke Ferdinand.
(d) Philip of Spain.
2. How did Amy Dudley's death affect her husband?
(a) Too much suspicion was cast upon Robert for him to marry the Queen.
(b) He was gleeful and immediately proposed to Elizabeth.
(c) He was distraught and would not speak for weeks.
(d) He was forgiven by the people after his guilty verdict.
3. Why did Elizabeth want her suitors to visit England in person?
(a) She was unable to travel to them because of illness.
(b) She wanted to interrogate them to make sure they were honest.
(c) She wanted to kidnap them and hold them for ransom.
(d) She would not marry someone she had not met.
4. Who succeeded King Francis II?
(a) Elizabeth I.
(b) Erik of Sweden.
(c) Charles IX.
(d) Philip II.
5. When was Elizabeth officially excommunicated from the Catholic Church?
(a) February 25, 1570.
(b) February 25, 1560.
(c) February 25, 1580.
(d) February 25, 1550.
6. Why did Elizabeth feel competitive toward Mary Queen of Scots?
(a) Mary was a better musician than Elizabeth.
(b) Mary spoke more languages than Elizabeth.
(c) Mary was younger than Elizabeth and rumored to be beautiful.
(d) Mary's wardrobe was rumored to be more substantial than Elizabeth's.
7. What failed movement did Northumberland and Westmoreland lead?
(a) The Northern Uprising.
(b) The Irish Incident.
(c) The War of the Roses.
(d) The Southern Conflict.
8. Who was the Earl of Bothwell?
(a) He kidnapped and wed Elizabeth, formerly the Virgin Queen.
(b) He kidnapped and wed Mary and allegedly organized Darnley's murder.
(c) He was one of Darnley's best friends and trusted council members.
(d) He was the most powerful Earl in France.
9. Who did Cecil, Norfolk, and Sussex want the Queen to marry?
(a) Charles IX.
(b) Lord Darnley.
(c) Maximilian II.
(d) The Earl of Leicester.
10. Who did Catherine de'Medici propose the Queen marry in 1565?
(a) Francis II.
(b) Charles IX.
(c) Erik of Sweden.
(d) Henry II.
11. Who was the younger brother of Elizabeth I?
(a) Edward VI.
(b) James I.
(c) Lord Dudley.
(d) Henry VII.
12. Who took over the French throne when King Henry II was killed?
(a) Louis XII.
(c) Francis II.
(d) Henry III.
13. Why did Queen Elizabeth refuse de' Medici's match for her?
(a) She thought Charles IX was too young.
(b) She thought Henry II was boorish.
(c) She thought Francis II was too old.
(d) She thought Erik of Sweden was not well educated.
14. How did the Queen's court, in general, feel about Robert Dudley?
(a) They were in awe of his superior horsemanship.
(b) They were jealous of him and his relationship with the Queen.
(c) They loved him and commended his bravery.
(d) They hated him and refused to speak with him.
15. What rumors persisted about the Queen and Robert Dudley?
(a) It was rumored they had a physical relationship.
(b) It was rumored they were going to elope to Germany.
(c) It was rumored they were sister and brother.
(d) It was rumored they were going to stage a coup.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Elizabeth allow Darnley to escape to Scotland?
2. Who, in a play for political power, may have been behind Amy Dudley's death?
3. Why did Edward VI perish in 1553?
4. What did Mary Queen of Scots want Elizabeth to do for her?
5. Why was Norfolk committed to the Tower?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)