|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year did Henry VIII die?
2. How was Lady Jane Grey related to Elizabeth?
(a) She was her sister.
(b) She was her mother.
(c) She was her cousin.
(d) She was her aunt.
3. Why did the council worry about Elizabeth's relationship with Dudley?
(a) They worried he would marry the princess of Spain.
(b) They worried she would execute him.
(c) They worried she would marry him.
(d) They worried he would go to France.
4. Why did Elizabeth renew her marriage negotiations with Erik of Sweden?
(a) He sent her a beautiful gift that completely enchanted her.
(b) She missed his letters and his company.
(c) She did not want him to transfer his proposal to Mary Queen of Scots.
(d) He finally learned English.
5. Who was Mary Queen of Scots' adviser?
(a) William Cecil.
(d) James Stuart, the Earl of Moray.
6. How did the Queen's court, in general, feel about Robert Dudley?
(a) They loved him and commended his bravery.
(b) They were jealous of him and his relationship with the Queen.
(c) They hated him and refused to speak with him.
(d) They were in awe of his superior horsemanship.
7. Since Amy was not welcomed at court, how did she spend her time?
(a) She went on long trips to the Continent.
(b) She lived in solitude on their estate.
(c) She went on long visits to family and friends.
(d) She wrote poetry in the attics of the castle.
8. Who was Elizabeth's childhood teacher?
(a) Roger Ascham
(b) Edward Courtenay.
(c) Thomas Parry.
(d) Sir Robert Dudley.
9. Which monarch ordered the most religion-related executions during his/her reign?
(a) Mary I.
(b) Edward VI.
(c) Mary, Queen of Scots.
(d) Elizabeth I.
10. Why, though a political lightweight, was Darnley not allowed to go to Scotland?
(a) It was feared he would elope with Mary Queen of Scots.
(b) He was a simple person and it was feared he would get lost on the way.
(c) He was dreadfully ill and contagious.
(d) Queen Elizabeth was probably in love with him.
11. What was Mary Queen of Scots' main condition if she were to marry Leicester?
(a) She wanted to be named successor.
(b) She wanted a large dowry from the Queen of England.
(c) She wanted him to cut his hair.
(d) She wanted him to move to Scotland.
12. When did Mary Queen of Scots give birth to her son, James?
(a) June 19, 1566.
(b) June 19, 1555.
(c) June 19, 1577.
(d) June 19, 1544.
13. What was Elizabeth's nickname for William Cecil, her Secretary of State?
14. Why may Cecil have killed Amy Dudley?
(a) He may have killed her because he was jealous of Dudley.
(b) He may have killed her because he was psychotic.
(c) He may have killed her because she was too politically powerful.
(d) He may have killed her to protect England.
15. Who was Henry, Duke of Anjou?
(a) He was Spain's great duke.
(b) He was Erik of Sweden's uncle.
(c) He was Elizabeth's favorite cousin.
(d) He was Charles IX's 19-year-old bisexual brother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Cecil, Norfolk, and Sussex want the Queen to marry?
2. Why did Elizabeth feel competitive toward Mary Queen of Scots?
3. What was one of the theories of why the Queen so enjoyed the company of the person in #25?
4. Who was the younger brother of Elizabeth I?
5. Why did Elizabeth want her suitors to visit England in person?
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)