|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 4, who was the Queen's favorite person at court?
(a) William Cecil.
(b) Catherine de'Medici.
(c) Mary, Queen of Scots.
(d) Robert Dudley.
2. How long were Amy Dudley and Robert Dudley married?
(a) Five years.
(b) Fifteen years.
(c) Two years.
(d) Eight years.
3. Why did the Queen need heirs?
(a) She needed heirs because Cecil wanted her to have them.
(b) She needed heirs because France had heirs.
(c) She needed heirs because she was lonely.
(d) She needed heirs to fight any pretenders to her throne.
4. What did Mary Queen of Scots want Elizabeth to do for her?
(a) She wanted Elizabeth to give her permission to marry Dudley.
(b) She wanted Elizabeth to make her a new gown.
(c) She wanted Elizabeth to give her land in northern England.
(d) She wanted Elizabeth to declare her the successor to the throne.
5. Why did Elizabeth want her suitors to visit England in person?
(a) She was unable to travel to them because of illness.
(b) She wanted to kidnap them and hold them for ransom.
(c) She would not marry someone she had not met.
(d) She wanted to interrogate them to make sure they were honest.
6. Who did Cecil, Norfolk, and Sussex want the Queen to marry?
(a) Maximilian II.
(b) The Earl of Leicester.
(c) Lord Darnley.
(d) Charles IX.
7. Why was it dangerous for Mary to remain in England?
(a) She did not speak English well and had trouble communicating.
(b) She could be put in the hands of English Catholics who wanted her to claim the throne.
(c) She was extremely depressed and wanted to travel.
(d) She was not well constituted to live in England and was constantly ill.
8. How did the Queen publicly humiliate Robert Dudley?
(a) She sent him to the gallows.
(b) She called him names and bade him leave.
(c) She refused to dance with him at the next party.
(d) She destroyed his Letters Patent.
9. Who did Catherine de'Medici propose the Queen marry in 1565?
(a) Charles IX.
(b) Henry II.
(c) Francis II.
(d) Erik of Sweden.
10. What rumors persisted about the Queen and Robert Dudley?
(a) It was rumored they had a physical relationship.
(b) It was rumored they were going to elope to Germany.
(c) It was rumored they were sister and brother.
(d) It was rumored they were going to stage a coup.
11. Why did the council worry about Elizabeth's relationship with Dudley?
(a) They worried he would marry the princess of Spain.
(b) They worried he would go to France.
(c) They worried she would marry him.
(d) They worried she would execute him.
12. Which two members of Elizabeth's court fell into a power struggle?
(a) De Quadra and Ben Jonson.
(b) Shakespeare and Marley.
(c) Throckmorton and Norfolk.
(d) William Cecil and Robert Dudley.
13. What item(s) were discovered that incriminated Mary in Darnley's murder?
(a) The Estate Receipts.
(b) A record of her conversation with the murderer.
(c) The Casket Letters.
(d) A fingerprint on his neck.
14. Whose marriage proposal did the Queen turn down because she wished to remain single?
(a) William Cecil.
(b) Robin Dudley.
(c) The Archduke Ferdinand.
(d) Philip of Spain.
15. What was Elizabeth's nickname?
(a) The Virgin Queen.
(b) Bloody Mary.
(c) Old Faithful.
(d) Queen of Scots.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was sent to negotiate the treaty with Scotland and France?
2. What was the nickname of Mary I?
3. By November 1566, how did Mary Queen of Scots feel about Lord Darnley?
4. When did Mary Queen of Scots give birth to her son, James?
5. To what did Mary Queen of Scots think she was entitled?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)