|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year is Letter #253 written?
2. Who is Tolkien replying to in Letter #246?
3. Based on the information provided by Tolkien in Letter #261, which Ireland Province was C.S. Lewis from?
4. To whom does Tolkien write about the impact of C.S. Lewis' passing?
5. What does Tolkien wish for "well-meaning folk who think they know" in Letter #236?
Short Essay Questions
1. What important announcement does Tolkien make to Christopher Bretherton in Letter #253 about his connection to childhood?
2. How did being a father help Tolkien in writing one of his most well known stories, The Hobbit?
3. Which familiar people does Tolkien continue to write to in the "Later Years," and which recipients are new?
4. What information does Tolkien provide in his remembrance of C.S. Lewis in Letters #257 and #261?
5. What suspicions are confirmed by Tolkien about a woman's used book in 1965?
6. Who does Tolkien thank in his letter to D. Auden on 1955?
7. In what way does Tolkien think that his story will help both existing parents and future parents?
8. How does Allen & Unwin respond to Tolkien's opinion of the cover images?
9. How does Tolkien address the name Numenor in Letter #227?
10. What changes have occurred in Tolkien's career as a professor by Letter #182 in 1956?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Chronicle Tolkien's fascination with stories from his childhood to his career as an author. Include a description of how he used his skills and abilities to develop his appreciation of stories and languages.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the reasons that Tolkien had for writing The Hobbit, The Lords of the Ring, and The Silmarillion. Also, provide an analysis of how his dislike for industrialization factored into his work, the way he used specific characters to represent both sides, and why he thought it was necessary to write fairy tales.
Essay Topic 3
Tolkien offers to give away copies of his manuscripts on two occasions while giving the reader an inside look at his opinions of his own work.
1) Explain the reason why a schoolboy contacts Tolkien about The Hobbit and how Tolkien responds.
2) Describe the way Tolkien refers to his own work in Letter #155 and why he does not think it will be published.
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)