Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tolkien think his writing about the joys of fatherhood will be interpreted by people who are not yet parents?
2. How do the Belgians describe Tolkien in Letter #165?
3. Which literary technique does Tolkien not appreciate?
4. Which one of the following is a topic of discussion in Letter #150 to Christopher?
5. Which two characters have a dynamic that Tolkien thinks has a great effect on the events in <i>The Lord of Rings</i>?
Explain the reasons that Tolkien had for writing The Hobbit, The Lords of the Ring, and The Silmarillion. Also, provide an analysis of how his dislike for industrialization factored into his work, the way he used specific characters to represent both sides, and why he thought it was necessary to write fairy tales.
Describe in detail the story that Tolkien tells Christopher about a train ride he has with two other men in a letter from April 3, 1944. Also, include the literary techniques used by Tolkien in the letter and why they display his skill as a writer.
In Letter #246, Tolkien evaluates Frodo's heroic and moral qualities in The Lord of the Rings.
1) Describe Mrs. Eileen Elgar's observation of Frodo's actions and Tolkien's response to it.
2) Explain why Tolkien considers Frodo to be a non-hero, including the supporting logic he uses as well as your thoughts on his viewpoint.
3) Analyze Frodo's breakdown and the moral implications of it as well as the conclusions Tolkien makes from the event.
This section contains 334 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)