|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tolkien respond to the publisher's actions with the cover designs in "Now the Books Themselves"?
2. What does the publisher do after reading Tolkien's opinions of the cover designs?
3. Overall, what is the length of the longest letters included in the book?
4. Who is Tolkien replying to in Letter #246?
5. Why does C.S. Lewis use the name Numenor in one of his stories?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tolkien think about Frodo's breakdown at the Cracks of Doom being considered a moral failure?
2. What observation is made about Tolkien's work that prompts him to evaluate Frodo's heroic status?
3. According to Tolkien's letter to W.H. Auden, what drives humans towards certain behaviors?
4. In what way does Tolkien think that his story will help both existing parents and future parents?
5. Which familiar people does Tolkien continue to write to in the "Later Years," and which recipients are new?
6. What information does Tolkien provide in his remembrance of C.S. Lewis in Letters #257 and #261?
7. When is Tolkien's final letter written and how does he attempt to assemble his work before he passes away?
8. Which literary device does Tolkien not appreciate and how does he view the intended audience of fairy tales?
9. Who is Tolkien writing to when he predicts what would happen if Gandalf had worn the Ring, and what is his prediction?
10. What is Tolkien's initial reaction when he is warned about his friendship with C.S. Lewis and what happens to change his mind?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The One Ring of Power is a significant element in The Lord of the Rings and Tolkien's letters.
1) Describe the One Ring, its features, and the effect it has on whoever wears it.
2) Explain the only known way to destroy the Ring.
3) Analyze Tolkien's hypothetical assessment of why Gandalf would be worse while wearing the Ring than Sauron and whether you agree with him.
Essay Topic 2
Chronicle Tolkien's fascination with stories from his childhood to his career as an author. Include a description of how he used his skills and abilities to develop his appreciation of stories and languages.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the differences between literature that is designed to be read out loud and stories that are written to be read silently. Use Tolkien's work as a reference, including his intent with Farmer Giles of Ham and a look at the role of writing that is intended to be presented verbally in contemporary literature.
This section contains 923 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)