|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tolkien think his writing about the joys of fatherhood will be interpreted by people who are parents?
2. As explained in Letter #256, how long does Tolkien's current book take place after Mordor has collapsed?
3. Besides his complaint in "Later Years", how many other times in the book so far has Tolkien complained about the spelling changes made by the editorial staff of a publishing company?
4. Based on Tolkien's assessment in Letter #159, who is the most surprised about the results of the published books?
5. How does Tolkien describe his work for a dictionary?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the general range in lengths of the letters featured in The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien?
2. As Tolkien explains in his letter to Unwin, why is the work of C.S. Lewis opposed by some?
3. What issues is Tolkien having with the cover images for The Lord of the Rings books and how does he handle the situation?
4. How does Tolkien address the name Numenor in Letter #227?
5. What does Tolkien think about Frodo's breakdown at the Cracks of Doom being considered a moral failure?
6. Who is Tolkien writing to when he predicts what would happen if Gandalf had worn the Ring, and what is his prediction?
7. What is Tolkien's initial reaction when he is warned about his friendship with C.S. Lewis and what happens to change his mind?
8. What changes have occurred in Tolkien's career as a professor by Letter #182 in 1956?
9. What information does Tolkien provide in his remembrance of C.S. Lewis in Letters #257 and #261?
10. What problem of Sauron does Tolkien describe in his letter to Auden as an example of human behavior?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Tolkien's friendship with C.S. Lewis using his own accounts in the letters he writes about Lewis. Also, explain the controversy surrounding Lewis' work, the way Tolkien deals with his death, and the facts that Tolkien includes in remembering Lewis.
Essay Topic 2
The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien begins with Tolkien's early letters from 1914 while he was an undergraduate at Oxford University.
1) Describe the events that Tolkien includes in his letters about his relationship with Edith and why it is important to him.
2) Explain how Tolkien discusses his time at Oxford, his education, and his classes.
3) Analyze Tolkien's writing style in his earliest letters.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Tolkien's views on parenting in Letter #246. Include the reasons why he thinks people either fear or are reluctant to become parents and the many benefits of having children that he writes about.
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)