|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What year does Tolkien write a long letter to Jane Neave that is included in "Later Years"?
2. Based on the information provided by Tolkien in Letter #261, which Ireland Province was C.S. Lewis from?
3. How long before Tolkien's death is the last letter of the book written?
4. When does Tolkien begin using a typewriter for his letters?
5. How does Tolkien think his writing about the joys of fatherhood will be interpreted by people who are not yet parents?
Essay Topic 1
Explain the difficult situation that Tolkien encounters while having The Lord of the Rings published by Collins, and the events that lead him to work with Unwin & Allen on the trilogy. Also, provide an analysis of the poem, "Errantry," and its significance in the publishing of The Lord of the Rings.
Essay Topic 2
Chronicle Tolkien's fascination with stories from his childhood to his career as an author. Include a description of how he used his skills and abilities to develop his appreciation of stories and languages.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the differences between literature that is designed to be read out loud and stories that are written to be read silently. Use Tolkien's work as a reference, including his intent with Farmer Giles of Ham and a look at the role of writing that is intended to be presented verbally in contemporary literature.
This section contains 1,310 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)