|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tolkien think his writing about the joys of fatherhood will be interpreted by people who are parents?
2. Who are most of the recipients of "The Final Letters"?
3. According to his letters, how does Tolkien consider his experience with the publisher about the cover designs?
4. How does Tolkien expect the publisher to respond to his opinions of the cover designs?
5. How long is Letter #182?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information does Tolkien provide in his remembrance of C.S. Lewis in Letters #257 and #261?
2. Who does Tolkien thank in his letter to D. Auden on 1955?
3. What issues is Tolkien having with the cover images for The Lord of the Rings books and how does he handle the situation?
4. According to Tolkien's letter to W.H. Auden, what drives humans towards certain behaviors?
5. How does Tolkien support his assessment of Gandalf's Ring-wearing in Letter #246?
6. What observation is made about Tolkien's work that prompts him to evaluate Frodo's heroic status?
7. What important announcement does Tolkien make to Christopher Bretherton in Letter #253 about his connection to childhood?
8. What is Tolkien's initial reaction when he is warned about his friendship with C.S. Lewis and what happens to change his mind?
9. What is the mystery of creative writing that Tolkien reveals in Letter #199 to Christopher?
10. What does Tolkien think about Frodo's breakdown at the Cracks of Doom being considered a moral failure?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Letter #246, Tolkien evaluates Frodo's heroic and moral qualities in The Lord of the Rings.
1) Describe Mrs. Eileen Elgar's observation of Frodo's actions and Tolkien's response to it.
2) Explain why Tolkien considers Frodo to be a non-hero, including the supporting logic he uses as well as your thoughts on his viewpoint.
3) Analyze Frodo's breakdown and the moral implications of it as well as the conclusions Tolkien makes from the event.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the reasons that Tolkien had for writing The Hobbit, The Lords of the Ring, and The Silmarillion. Also, provide an analysis of how his dislike for industrialization factored into his work, the way he used specific characters to represent both sides, and why he thought it was necessary to write fairy tales.
Essay Topic 3
Tolkien expresses his discontent with changes made to his work by editors in various letters.
1) Describe two examples of Tolkien's disagreement with proposed changes in spelling or use of words for his stories.
2) Analyze how Tolkien invented the different languages for his fictional realm and why his educational background was significant.
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)