|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which two characters have a dynamic that Tolkien thinks has a great effect on the events in The Lord of Rings?
2. How does Tolkien think his writing about the joys of fatherhood will be interpreted by people who are parents?
3. What aspect of fiction is detailed in Letter #199?
4. What is the first topic discussed in Tolkien's letter to Unwin about C.S. Lewis in "Now the Books Themselves"?
5. What is Tolkien finishing while writing the letters included in "The Lord of the Rings Are Published"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Tolkien honored with a degree from the Belgians and how do they refer to him?
2. How does Allen & Unwin respond to Tolkien's opinion of the cover images?
3. What is the general range in lengths of the letters featured in The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien?
4. What does Tolkien think about Frodo's breakdown at the Cracks of Doom being considered a moral failure?
5. What problem of Sauron does Tolkien describe in his letter to Auden as an example of human behavior?
6. Who does Tolkien thank in his letter to D. Auden on 1955?
7. Which literary device does Tolkien not appreciate and how does he view the intended audience of fairy tales?
8. What is Tolkien's initial reaction when he is warned about his friendship with C.S. Lewis and what happens to change his mind?
9. As Tolkien explains in his letter to Unwin, why is the work of C.S. Lewis opposed by some?
10. What observation is made about Tolkien's work that prompts him to evaluate Frodo's heroic status?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe in detail the story that Tolkien tells Christopher about a train ride he has with two other men in a letter from April 3, 1944. Also, include the literary techniques used by Tolkien in the letter and why they display his skill as a writer.
Essay Topic 2
Tolkien offers to give away copies of his manuscripts on two occasions while giving the reader an inside look at his opinions of his own work.
1) Explain the reason why a schoolboy contacts Tolkien about The Hobbit and how Tolkien responds.
2) Describe the way Tolkien refers to his own work in Letter #155 and why he does not think it will be published.
Essay Topic 3
The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien begins with Tolkien's early letters from 1914 while he was an undergraduate at Oxford University.
1) Describe the events that Tolkien includes in his letters about his relationship with Edith and why it is important to him.
2) Explain how Tolkien discusses his time at Oxford, his education, and his classes.
3) Analyze Tolkien's writing style in his earliest letters.
This section contains 910 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)