|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As mentioned in Letter #246, where is Frodo unable to give up the Ring?
2. According to Tolkien in Letter #257, what prevents people from having children?
3. What choice does Tolkien think each person has?
4. How long is Letter #182?
5. How does Tolkien describe his work for a dictionary?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Tolkien's relationship with his son, Christopher, based on his letters. Provide at least three separate examples of how he communicated with his son and the effect it had on his writing.
Essay Topic 2
Tolkien's writing style is a combination of different techniques that is very effective in delivering exciting fiction that can be enjoyed on many levels.
1) Explain the use of vivid descriptions in both Tolkien's letters and his fictional works.
2) Describe Tolkien's advice for writing fiction in a way that maintains the reader's attention throughout the work and analyze how this can be applied to contemporary creative writing.
3) Explain Tolkien's opinions about allegory and its use in writing fiction, as well as your own view about the literary device and its uses.
3) Analyze Tolkien's thoughts about fairy tales and the importance of their place in literature.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Tolkien's views on parenting in Letter #246. Include the reasons why he thinks people either fear or are reluctant to become parents and the many benefits of having children that he writes about.
This section contains 1,328 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)