|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tolkien think his writing about the joys of fatherhood will be interpreted by people who are not yet parents?
2. How do the Belgians describe Tolkien in Letter #165?
3. Which literary technique does Tolkien not appreciate?
4. Which one of the following is a topic of discussion in Letter #150 to Christopher?
5. Which two characters have a dynamic that Tolkien thinks has a great effect on the events in <i>The Lord of Rings</i>?
Essay Topic 1
Mortality and humanity are two themes that are present in Tolkien's novels.
1) Describe why Tolkien chooses to place humans in the background of his stories instead of featuring them as main characters.
2) Compare the psychological issues that Elves have in dealing with their immortality.
3) Analyze the parallels between the struggles that human beings have with their mortality and the problems the Elves face with their existence.
Essay Topic 2
Tolkien expresses his discontent with changes made to his work by editors in various letters.
1) Describe two examples of Tolkien's disagreement with proposed changes in spelling or use of words for his stories.
2) Analyze how Tolkien invented the different languages for his fictional realm and why his educational background was significant.
Essay Topic 3
Describe in detail the story that Tolkien tells Christopher about a train ride he has with two other men in a letter from April 3, 1944. Also, include the literary techniques used by Tolkien in the letter and why they display his skill as a writer.
This section contains 1,355 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)