|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Tolkien begin using a typewriter for his letters?
2. How does Tolkien categorize the attempts made to change his spellings in Letter #236?
3. What type of good news does Tolkien preview in Letter #185?
4. Why does C.S. Lewis use the name Numenor in one of his stories?
5. When is Letter #185 written to Christopher and Faith Tolkien?
Essay Topic 1
The One Ring of Power is a significant element in The Lord of the Rings and Tolkien's letters.
1) Describe the One Ring, its features, and the effect it has on whoever wears it.
2) Explain the only known way to destroy the Ring.
3) Analyze Tolkien's hypothetical assessment of why Gandalf would be worse while wearing the Ring than Sauron and whether you agree with him.
Essay Topic 2
Chronicle Tolkien's fascination with stories from his childhood to his career as an author. Include a description of how he used his skills and abilities to develop his appreciation of stories and languages.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Tolkien's creative writing process using the information he provides in his letters throughout the book. Be sure to include his explanation of the power of the pen as well as an analysis of the role of improvisation in fiction.
This section contains 1,318 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)