Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tolkien think his writing about the joys of fatherhood will be interpreted by people who are not yet parents?
2. How do the Belgians describe Tolkien in Letter #165?
3. Which literary technique does Tolkien not appreciate?
4. Which one of the following is a topic of discussion in Letter #150 to Christopher?
5. Which two characters have a dynamic that Tolkien thinks has a great effect on the events in <i>The Lord of Rings</i>?
Essay Topic 1
Chronicle Tolkien's fascination with stories from his childhood to his career as an author. Include a description of how he used his skills and abilities to develop his appreciation of stories and languages.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the reasons that Tolkien had for writing The Hobbit, The Lords of the Ring, and The Silmarillion. Also, provide an analysis of how his dislike for industrialization factored into his work, the way he used specific characters to represent both sides, and why he thought it was necessary to write fairy tales.
Essay Topic 3
Mortality and humanity are two themes that are present in Tolkien's novels.
1) Describe why Tolkien chooses to place humans in the background of his stories instead of featuring them as main characters.
2) Compare the psychological issues that Elves have in dealing with their immortality.
3) Analyze the parallels between the struggles that human beings have with their mortality and the problems the Elves face with their existence.
This section contains 323 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)