|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character does Tolkien indicate has gained the most power by wearing the Ring?
2. What German word meaning "essential" does Tolkien refer to in Letter #6, stating that it is actually viewed as an English word?
3. Who provides input , feedback, and advice for the letters in the book?
4. Who is the initial publisher for Tolkien's books when "Publisher Drama" begins?
5. What has Tolkien found in his manuscript when he writes Letter #69?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the Stages of History that Tolkien describes in Letter #131?
2. What is unique about Tolkien's poem, "Errantry"?
3. How is Tolkien's proficiency in writing displayed in the story he tells to Christopher in his April 3, 1944, letter?
4. How does Tolkien design Farmer Giles of Ham and what does he think about it being considered a children's story?
5. What is the One Ring of Power in Tolkien's stories?
6. Who is Tolkien traveling with in the story he recounts for Christopher in a letter from April 3, 1944, and what is the point of the story?
7. How does Tolkien write about being given the position of chairing the English department at the university?
8. How was the collection of J.R.R. Tolkien's letters compiled and who helped with the process?
9. What clarification does Tolkien make about the word, "Elves"?
10. What is the similarity between the Elves and the Machine, and what is the main difference between both sides, according to Tolkien in Letter #131?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Tolkien's friendship with C.S. Lewis using his own accounts in the letters he writes about Lewis. Also, explain the controversy surrounding Lewis' work, the way Tolkien deals with his death, and the facts that Tolkien includes in remembering Lewis.
Essay Topic 2
The One Ring of Power is a significant element in The Lord of the Rings and Tolkien's letters.
1) Describe the One Ring, its features, and the effect it has on whoever wears it.
2) Explain the only known way to destroy the Ring.
3) Analyze Tolkien's hypothetical assessment of why Gandalf would be worse while wearing the Ring than Sauron and whether you agree with him.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the differences between literature that is designed to be read out loud and stories that are written to be read silently. Use Tolkien's work as a reference, including his intent with Farmer Giles of Ham and a look at the role of writing that is intended to be presented verbally in contemporary literature.
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)