|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is J.R.R. Tolkien in the first letter?
2. What is left out of the letters included in "To Unwin about The Hobbit"?
3. What chapter of the book that Tolkien is working on is he considering altering in Letter #128?
4. What German word meaning "essential" does Tolkien refer to in Letter #6, stating that it is actually viewed as an English word?
5. What two factors contribute to the main part of Letter #66 to Christopher?
Short Essay Questions
1. How can the One Ring of Power be destroyed?
2. How is Tolkien's proficiency in writing displayed in the story he tells to Christopher in his April 3, 1944, letter?
3. How does Rayner Unwin first contact Tolkien, leading to his involvement with publishing The Lord of the Rings?
4. How does Tolkien explain the role of humans and mankind in his stories in Letter #131?
5. What clarification does Tolkien make about the word, "Elves"?
6. How does Tolkien refer to The Hobbit in his early letters to Christopher?
7. What happens between Tolkien and Edith leading up to their engagement?
8. What change does Tolkien consider and eventually make to The Hobbit in Letters #128 and #129, and why is it significant?
9. How are the letters for "To Unwin about The Hobbit" chosen and what information is left out of them?
10. What is the One Ring of Power in Tolkien's stories?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the difficult situation that Tolkien encounters while having The Lord of the Rings published by Collins, and the events that lead him to work with Unwin & Allen on the trilogy. Also, provide an analysis of the poem, "Errantry," and its significance in the publishing of The Lord of the Rings.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Tolkien's relationship with his son, Christopher, based on his letters. Provide at least three separate examples of how he communicated with his son and the effect it had on his writing.
Essay Topic 3
Examine Tolkien's theory about human behavior and the effects of circumstances, free will, and character in making decisions. Be sure to provide examples from Tolkien's letters explaining why certain characters he has invented act the way that they do and make the choices they make.
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)