|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many Rings of Power does the One Ring control?
2. What is causing the culture of the Elves to suffer?
3. How does Tolkien describe the alteration he is contemplating making to his manuscript in Letter #128?
4. What is Allen & Unwin?
5. Which character does Tolkien indicate has gained the most power by wearing the Ring?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Tolkien thank in his letter to D. Auden on 1955?
2. How is Tolkien's proficiency in writing displayed in the story he tells to Christopher in his April 3, 1944, letter?
3. What message does Tolkien hear when he is becoming impatient about the publishing of <i>The Lord of the Rings</i>?
4. How does Rayner Unwin first contact Tolkien, leading to his involvement with publishing <i>The Lord of the Rings</i>?
5. In Letters #66 and #69, how is Tolkien's relationship with Christopher defined?
6. What information does Tolkien provide in his remembrance of C.S. Lewis in Letters #257 and #261?
7. What inspires a schoolboy to write to Tolkien about <i>The Hobbit<i> in Letter #114 and what advice does Tolkien give in return?
8. What is the One Ring of Power in Tolkien's stories?
9. What happens between Collins and Tolkien during the publishing of <i>The Lord of the Rings</i>?
10. How does Tolkien address the name Numenor in Letter #227?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the differences between literature that is designed to be read out loud and stories that are written to be read silently. Use Tolkien's work as a reference, including his intent with Farmer Giles of Ham and a look at the role of writing that is intended to be presented verbally in contemporary literature.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Tolkien's friendship with C.S. Lewis using his own accounts in the letters he writes about Lewis. Also, explain the controversy surrounding Lewis' work, the way Tolkien deals with his death, and the facts that Tolkien includes in remembering Lewis.
Essay Topic 3
The One Ring of Power is a significant element in The Lord of the Rings and Tolkien's letters.
1) Describe the One Ring, its features, and the effect it has on whoever wears it.
2) Explain the only known way to destroy the Ring.
3) Analyze Tolkien's hypothetical assessment of why Gandalf would be worse while wearing the Ring than Sauron and whether you agree with him.
This section contains 1,901 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)