Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What issue does a woman's presence raise for Tolkien in "Publisher Drama"?
2. What is Allen & Unwin?
3. How many improvements does Tolkien indicate he has made to the manuscript for <i>Farmer Giles of Ham</i>?
4. How does Tolkien describe the writing of <i>The Hobbit</i> to Christopher?
5. What point does Tolkien make about his book, <i>The Silmarillion</i>, in Letter #131?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the Stages of History that Tolkien describes in Letter #131?
2. How does Tolkien address the name Numenor in Letter #227?
3. According to Tolkien's letter to W.H. Auden, what drives humans towards certain behaviors?
4. How is Tolkien's proficiency in writing displayed in the story he tells to Christopher in his April 3, 1944, letter?
5. What message does Tolkien hear when he is becoming impatient about the publishing of <i>The Lord of the Rings</i>?
6. Why is Tolkien honored with a degree from the Belgians and how do they refer to him?
7. How old is Tolkien when the earliest letters begin and what is his situation?
8. What important announcement does Tolkien make to Christopher Bretherton in Letter #253 about his connection to childhood?
9. What observation does Tolkien make about his Middle English class to Mrs. E.M. Wright in Letter #6?
10. What is the similarity between the Elves and the Machine, and what is the main difference between both sides, according to Tolkien in Letter #131?
Essay Topic 1
Describe in detail the story that Tolkien tells Christopher about a train ride he has with two other men in a letter from April 3, 1944. Also, include the literary techniques used by Tolkien in the letter and why they display his skill as a writer.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Tolkien's views on parenting in Letter #246. Include the reasons why he thinks people either fear or are reluctant to become parents and the many benefits of having children that he writes about.
Essay Topic 3
Chronicle Tolkien's fascination with stories from his childhood to his career as an author. Include a description of how he used his skills and abilities to develop his appreciation of stories and languages.
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)