|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the initial publisher for Tolkien's books when "Publisher Drama" begins?
2. By what year does Tolkien insist that his books be published with his new publisher?
3. How does Tolkien feel when he looks at his work in the revision stages?
4. As mentioned by Tolkien in Letter #131, when do the Hobbits first come into being?
5. How long is the summary that Tolkien's new publisher asks him to write at the end of "Publisher Drama"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tolkien design Farmer Giles of Ham and what does he think about it being considered a children's story?
2. In Letters #66 and #69, how is Tolkien's relationship with Christopher defined?
3. How does Tolkien explain the role of humans and mankind in his stories in Letter #131?
4. What are galleys in literature and how does Tolkien respond to the editing process of The Lord of the Rings?
5. How are the letters for "To Unwin about The Hobbit" chosen and what information is left out of them?
6. What happened when the Elves and the Dwarves became friends in the past of Tolkien's fictional realm?
7. How does Tolkien characterize Sauron in Letter #131?
8. What request does Allen & Unwin have about Farmer Giles of Ham and how does Tolkien respond?
9. How is Tolkien's proficiency in writing displayed in the story he tells to Christopher in his April 3, 1944, letter?
10. What is unique about Tolkien's poem, "Errantry"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tolkien expresses his discontent with changes made to his work by editors in various letters.
1) Describe two examples of Tolkien's disagreement with proposed changes in spelling or use of words for his stories.
2) Analyze how Tolkien invented the different languages for his fictional realm and why his educational background was significant.
Essay Topic 2
The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien begins with Tolkien's early letters from 1914 while he was an undergraduate at Oxford University.
1) Describe the events that Tolkien includes in his letters about his relationship with Edith and why it is important to him.
2) Explain how Tolkien discusses his time at Oxford, his education, and his classes.
3) Analyze Tolkien's writing style in his earliest letters.
Essay Topic 3
Chronicle Tolkien's fascination with stories from his childhood to his career as an author. Include a description of how he used his skills and abilities to develop his appreciation of stories and languages.
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)