|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In describing the power of the pen, what aspect of fiction writing does Tolkien refer to when explaining his own writing process and the way he invents characters?
2. What is the skill or ability of the Elves'?
3. In what year does Tolkien become disturbed by the length of time to publish The Lord of the Rings trilogy and The Silmarillion?
4. By what year does Tolkien insist that his books be published with his new publisher?
5. When does the history of the Elves begin?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tolkien design Farmer Giles of Ham and what does he think about it being considered a children's story?
2. What are the Stages of History that Tolkien describes in Letter #131?
3. What happens between Collins and Tolkien during the publishing of The Lord of the Rings?
4. How does Tolkien refer to The Hobbit in his early letters to Christopher?
5. What clarification does Tolkien make about the word, "Elves"?
6. Who is Tolkien traveling with in the story he recounts for Christopher in a letter from April 3, 1944, and what is the point of the story?
7. What is the power of the pen and how does Tolkien explain it?
8. In Letters #66 and #69, how is Tolkien's relationship with Christopher defined?
9. How does Tolkien explain the role of humans and mankind in his stories in Letter #131?
10. What inspires a schoolboy to write to Tolkien about The Hobbit in Letter #114 and what advice does Tolkien give in return?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Tolkien's relationship with his son, Christopher, based on his letters. Provide at least three separate examples of how he communicated with his son and the effect it had on his writing.
Essay Topic 2
Tolkien expresses his discontent with changes made to his work by editors in various letters.
1) Describe two examples of Tolkien's disagreement with proposed changes in spelling or use of words for his stories.
2) Analyze how Tolkien invented the different languages for his fictional realm and why his educational background was significant.
Essay Topic 3
Mortality and humanity are two themes that are present in Tolkien's novels.
1) Describe why Tolkien chooses to place humans in the background of his stories instead of featuring them as main characters.
2) Compare the psychological issues that Elves have in dealing with their immortality.
3) Analyze the parallels between the struggles that human beings have with their mortality and the problems the Elves face with their existence.
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)