|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What issue does a woman's presence raise for Tolkien in "Publisher Drama"?
2. What is Allen & Unwin?
3. How many improvements does Tolkien indicate he has made to the manuscript for <i>Farmer Giles of Ham</i>?
4. How does Tolkien describe the writing of <i>The Hobbit</i> to Christopher?
5. What point does Tolkien make about his book, <i>The Silmarillion</i>, in Letter #131?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the Stages of History that Tolkien describes in Letter #131?
2. How does Tolkien address the name Numenor in Letter #227?
3. According to Tolkien's letter to W.H. Auden, what drives humans towards certain behaviors?
4. How is Tolkien's proficiency in writing displayed in the story he tells to Christopher in his April 3, 1944, letter?
5. What message does Tolkien hear when he is becoming impatient about the publishing of <i>The Lord of the Rings</i>?
6. Why is Tolkien honored with a degree from the Belgians and how do they refer to him?
7. How old is Tolkien when the earliest letters begin and what is his situation?
8. What important announcement does Tolkien make to Christopher Bretherton in Letter #253 about his connection to childhood?
9. What observation does Tolkien make about his Middle English class to Mrs. E.M. Wright in Letter #6?
10. What is the similarity between the Elves and the Machine, and what is the main difference between both sides, according to Tolkien in Letter #131?
Essay Topic 1
Describe Tolkien's views on parenting in Letter #246. Include the reasons why he thinks people either fear or are reluctant to become parents and the many benefits of having children that he writes about.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Tolkien's career as a professor and his career as an author while he is waiting for The Lord of the Rings to be published. Include several examples of his descriptions of his teaching responsibilities, how he approached them during this time, and the reminder he used when he became concerned with the publishing of his work. Then, analyze the way Tolkien writes about his teaching career after his books have become successful and he has been promoted to Senior Professor.
Essay Topic 3
Mortality and humanity are two themes that are present in Tolkien's novels.
1) Describe why Tolkien chooses to place humans in the background of his stories instead of featuring them as main characters.
2) Compare the psychological issues that Elves have in dealing with their immortality.
3) Analyze the parallels between the struggles that human beings have with their mortality and the problems the Elves face with their existence.
This section contains 1,876 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)