|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Tolkien as "The Old Man," which dictionary does Tolkien reveal he worked for earlier in his life?
(b) American Heritage.
2. According to the information in Letter #182, what position does Tolkien now have?
(a) Senior Professor.
(b) Associate Professor.
(c) Department Coordinator.
(d) Department Chair.
3. What does the publisher do after reading Tolkien's opinions of the cover designs?
(a) They leave the covers as is despite his opinions.
(b) They request more detailed notes from him.
(c) They change the covers based on his opinions.
(d) They threaten to stop publishing the books.
4. How long is Tolkien's Letter #256 to Colin Bailey?
(a) One paragraph.
(b) Two pages.
(c) Two paragraphs.
(d) One page.
5. What does Tolkien wish for "well-meaning folk who think they know" in Letter #236?
(a) They could be restrained.
(b) They could be reasoned with.
(c) They could be appreciated.
(d) They could be listened to.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of good news does Tolkien preview in Letter #185?
2. What is Tolkien finishing while writing the letters included in "<i>The Lord of the Rings</i> Are Published"?
3. Which one of the following is a topic of discussion in Letter #150 to Christopher?
4. When is Letter #185 written to Christopher and Faith Tolkien?
5. What year does Tolkien write a long letter to Jane Neave that is included in "Later Years"?
This section contains 267 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)