|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many Elves does Tolkien think might be able to manage the Ring of Power in Letter #246?
2. Which book began as a story that Tolkien created to read to his children?
(a) Farmer Giles of Ham.
(b) The Hobbit.
(c) The Silmarillion.
(d) The Lord of the Rings.
3. How heroic does Tolkien think Frodo is in Letter #246?
(a) He thinks that Frodo is only heroic in two situations.
(b) He thinks that Frodo is a hero.
(c) He does not think that Frodo is a hero.
(d) He thinks that Frodo is mostly a hero, but not fully.
4. What is Tolkien finishing while writing the letters included in "The Lord of the Rings Are Published"?
(a) The manuscript for the prequel to the trilogy.
(b) The manuscript for the final story of the trilogy.
(c) The collection of poems that coincides with the trilogy.
(d) The poem that coincides with the trilogy.
5. How does Tolkien categorize the attempts made to change his spellings in Letter #236?
(a) Intentionally offensive.
(b) Unintentionally offensive.
(c) Largely misguided.
(d) Somewhat misguided.
Short Answer Questions
1. As displayed in Letter #257, what is the connection between Tolkien's childhood and his later years?
2. In what year is Letter #253 written?
3. What does the publisher do after reading Tolkien's opinions of the cover designs?
4. How long before Tolkien's death is the last letter of the book written?
5. Which versions of The Hobbit earn Tolkien an honorary doctorate, as mentioned in Letter #165?
Short Essay Questions
1. What issues is Tolkien having with the cover images for The Lord of the Rings books and how does he handle the situation?
2. What suspicions are confirmed by Tolkien about a woman's used book in 1965?
3. What is Tolkien's initial reaction when he is warned about his friendship with C.S. Lewis and what happens to change his mind?
4. Why, when, and how does Tolkien switch from writing with a pen and paper to using a typewriter?
5. Which familiar people does Tolkien continue to write to in the "Later Years," and which recipients are new?
6. How does Allen & Unwin respond to Tolkien's opinion of the cover images?
7. Who is Tolkien writing to when he predicts what would happen if Gandalf had worn the Ring, and what is his prediction?
8. Why is Tolkien honored with a degree from the Belgians and how do they refer to him?
9. What previously unmentioned career achievement does Tolkien reveal to Christopher Bretherton in Letter #253?
10. How does Tolkien address the name Numenor in Letter #227?
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)