|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Based on Tolkien's letter to W.H. Auden, who is responsible for shaping an individual's behavior?
(a) The individual and people around them.
(b) The individual.
(c) People around the individual.
(d) Neither the individual nor people around them.
2. To whom does Tolkien write about the impact of C.S. Lewis' passing?
(a) Humphrey Carpenter.
(d) Rayner Unwin.
3. As explained in Letter #256, how long does Tolkien's current book take place after Mordor has collapsed?
(a) One hundred years.
(b) Two hundred years.
(c) One hundred and fifty years.
(d) Fifty years.
4. What does the publisher do after reading Tolkien's opinions of the cover designs?
(a) They request more detailed notes from him.
(b) They leave the covers as is despite his opinions.
(c) They threaten to stop publishing the books.
(d) They change the covers based on his opinions.
5. How does Tolkien respond to the publisher's actions with the cover designs in "Now the Books Themselves"?
(a) He is upset.
(b) He is confused.
(c) He is unresponsive.
(d) He is thankful.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which two characters have a dynamic that Tolkien thinks has a great effect on the events in The Lord of Rings?
2. How does Tolkien think his writing about the joys of fatherhood will be interpreted by people who are parents?
3. How long is Tolkien's Letter #256 to Colin Bailey?
4. In a letter to W.H. Auden, where does Tolkien reveal his work as a professor originates from?
5. What is the main subject of Letters #146, 147, and 148?
Short Essay Questions
1. What previously unmentioned career achievement does Tolkien reveal to Christopher Bretherton in Letter #253?
2. When is Tolkien's final letter written and how does he attempt to assemble his work before he passes away?
3. What observation is made about Tolkien's work that prompts him to evaluate Frodo's heroic status?
4. What changes have occurred in Tolkien's career as a professor by Letter #182 in 1956?
5. In what way does Tolkien think that his story will help both existing parents and future parents?
6. How does Tolkien support his assessment of Gandalf's Ring-wearing in Letter #246?
7. How does Tolkien disprove the misconception that his success was made overnight in Letter #159?
8. What important announcement does Tolkien make to Christopher Bretherton in Letter #253 about his connection to childhood?
9. What does Tolkien think about Frodo's breakdown at the Cracks of Doom being considered a moral failure?
10. What is Tolkien's initial reaction when he is warned about his friendship with C.S. Lewis and what happens to change his mind?
This section contains 921 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)