|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does it take Tolkien to get his story about <i>The Lord of the Rings</i> published, according to Letter #159?
(a) One year.
(b) Two years.
(c) Three years.
(d) Several years.
2. Which versions of <i>The Hobbit<i> earn Tolkien an honorary doctorate, as mentioned in Letter #165?
(a) The French and German versions.
(b) The Italian, French, and German versions.
(c) The Italian and French versions.
(d) The Italian and German versions.
3. Which book began as a story that Tolkien created to read to his children?
(a) <i>The Hobbit<i>.
(b) <i>The Lord of the Rings</i>.
(c) <i>The Silmarillion</i>.
(d) <i>Farmer Giles of Ham</i>.
4. How long is Letter #182?
(a) It is an average length.
(b) It is divided into multiple sections.
(c) It is brief.
(d) It is several pages long.
5. Besides his complaint in "Later Years", how many other times in the book so far has Tolkien complained about the spelling changes made by the editorial staff of a publishing company?
(d) Three times.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tolkien think his writing about the joys of fatherhood will be interpreted by people who are not yet parents?
2. When is Letter #246, about Gandalf and the Ring, written?
3. What year does Tolkien write a long letter to Jane Neave that is included in "Later Years"?
4. What choice does Tolkien think each person has?
5. Overall, what is the length of the longest letters included in the book?
This section contains 295 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)