|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which book began as a story that Tolkien created to read to his children?
(a) The Lord of the Rings.
(b) Farmer Giles of Ham.
(c) The Hobbit.
(d) The Silmarillion.
2. How does Tolkien describe his work for a dictionary?
(a) Prestigious, but not humbling.
(b) Humbling, but not prestigious.
(c) Humbling and prestigious.
(d) Neither humbling nor prestigious.
3. What does Tolkien announce to Christopher Bretherton in Letter #257?
(a) He is retiring from teaching.
(b) He is a scientific philologist.
(c) He is retiring from writing.
(d) He is only writing poetry now.
4. What does Tolkien think drives humans towards certain behaviors?
(a) They are driven exclusively by circumstances.
(b) They are driven by the people around them.
(c) They are driven by their education and culture.
(d) They are driven by circumstances as well as other things.
5. As displayed in Letter #257, what is the connection between Tolkien's childhood and his later years?
(a) His fascination with Elves.
(b) His education.
(c) His writing.
(d) His enjoyment of stories.
Short Answer Questions
1. How heroic does Tolkien think Frodo is in Letter #246?
2. How does Tolkien respond to C.S. Lewis' use of the name Numenor in one of his stories?
3. What is Tolkien's age when he writes Letter #253?
4. According to Tolkien in Letter #257, what prevents people from having children?
5. What does the publisher do after reading Tolkien's opinions of the cover designs?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Tolkien explains in his letter to Unwin, why is the work of C.S. Lewis opposed by some?
2. What suspicions are confirmed by Tolkien about a woman's used book in 1965?
3. Which familiar people does Tolkien continue to write to in the "Later Years," and which recipients are new?
4. In what way does Tolkien think that his story will help both existing parents and future parents?
5. What previously unmentioned career achievement does Tolkien reveal to Christopher Bretherton in Letter #253?
6. How does Tolkien disprove the misconception that his success was made overnight in Letter #159?
7. What does Tolkien think about Frodo's breakdown at the Cracks of Doom being considered a moral failure?
8. What changes have occurred in Tolkien's career as a professor by Letter #182 in 1956?
9. Who does Tolkien thank in his letter to D. Auden on 1955?
10. How does Allen & Unwin respond to Tolkien's opinion of the cover images?
This section contains 885 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)