|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Tolkien sign Letter #165?
(a) J.R.R. Tolkien.
(b) John Tolkien.
(c) John Ronald Reuel Tolkien.
(d) John Ronald Tolkien.
2. As explained in Letter #256, how long does Tolkien's current book take place after Mordor has collapsed?
(a) Two hundred years.
(b) One hundred and fifty years.
(c) One hundred years.
(d) Fifty years.
3. What year does Tolkien write a long letter to Jane Neave that is included in "Later Years"?
4. What age does J.R.R. Tolkien pass away?
5. Who are the familiar recipients of the letters of the 1960s that are included in "Later Years"?
(a) Edith and Rayner Unwin.
(b) Christopher, Edith, and Rayner Unwin.
(c) Christopher and Rayner Unwin.
(d) Christopher and Edith Unwin.
Short Answer Questions
1. Overall, what is the length of the longest letters included in the book?
2. Which novel was being made into a paperback, prompting the debate over spelling in Letter #236?
3. How does Tolkien respond to the woman when she writes to him to inquire whether he had owned a book she purchased?
4. How does Tolkien respond to the publisher's actions with the cover designs in "Now the Books Themselves"?
5. Which versions of The Hobbit earn Tolkien an honorary doctorate, as mentioned in Letter #165?
Short Essay Questions
1. What issues is Tolkien having with the cover images for The Lord of the Rings books and how does he handle the situation?
2. Why is Tolkien honored with a degree from the Belgians and how do they refer to him?
3. What does Tolkien think about Frodo's breakdown at the Cracks of Doom being considered a moral failure?
4. What previously unmentioned career achievement does Tolkien reveal to Christopher Bretherton in Letter #253?
5. What suspicions are confirmed by Tolkien about a woman's used book in 1965?
6. What wish does Tolkien have for "well-meaning" editors in Letter #236?
7. What changes have occurred in Tolkien's career as a professor by Letter #182 in 1956?
8. What problem of Sauron does Tolkien describe in his letter to Auden as an example of human behavior?
9. What is Tolkien's initial reaction when he is warned about his friendship with C.S. Lewis and what happens to change his mind?
10. What observation is made about Tolkien's work that prompts him to evaluate Frodo's heroic status?
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)