|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Tolkien respond to C.S. Lewis' use of the name Numenor in one of his stories?
(a) He is curious.
(b) He is delighted.
(c) He is offended.
(d) He is confused.
2. What is the title of Tolkien's lecture that is included in an academic journal?
(a) English and Welsh languages.
(b) English and Welsh.
(c) English Fairy Tales.
(d) English Fiction.
3. How does Tolkien categorize the attempts made to change his spellings in Letter #236?
(a) Intentionally offensive.
(b) Largely misguided.
(c) Somewhat misguided.
(d) Unintentionally offensive.
4. Why does Tolkien think his new position at the university will be better received in Letter #182?
(a) Because of the amount of time he has worked at the university.
(b) Because of the anticipation of the new book he is writing.
(c) Because of the reputation of the person that preceded him.
(d) Because of his fame as an author.
5. How does Tolkien expect the publisher to respond to his opinions of the cover designs?
(a) He thinks they will become upset by reading his opinion.
(b) He thinks they will ignore his opinion.
(c) He thinks they will agree with his opinion.
(d) He thinks they will appreciate his opinion, but not act on it.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long is Tolkien's Letter #256 to Colin Bailey?
2. Which two characters have a dynamic that Tolkien thinks has a great effect on the events in The Lord of Rings?
3. Which book began as a story that Tolkien created to read to his children?
4. What is Tolkien's age when he writes Letter #253?
5. How do the Belgians describe Tolkien in Letter #165?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which literary device does Tolkien not appreciate and how does he view the intended audience of fairy tales?
2. Which familiar people does Tolkien continue to write to in the "Later Years," and which recipients are new?
3. Who does Tolkien thank in his letter to D. Auden on 1955?
4. What observation is made about Tolkien's work that prompts him to evaluate Frodo's heroic status?
5. What is the mystery of creative writing that Tolkien reveals in Letter #199 to Christopher?
6. What problem of Sauron does Tolkien describe in his letter to Auden as an example of human behavior?
7. Why, when, and how does Tolkien switch from writing with a pen and paper to using a typewriter?
8. What suspicions are confirmed by Tolkien about a woman's used book in 1965?
9. In what way does Tolkien think that his story will help both existing parents and future parents?
10. According to Tolkien's letter to W.H. Auden, what drives humans towards certain behaviors?
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)