|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year is Letter #253 written?
2. How does Tolkien categorize the attempts made to change his spellings in Letter #236?
(a) Largely misguided.
(b) Somewhat misguided.
(c) Unintentionally offensive.
(d) Intentionally offensive.
3. When is Letter #246, about Gandalf and the Ring, written?
(a) November 1962.
(b) November 1965.
(c) September 1964.
(d) September 1963.
4. How heroic does Tolkien think Frodo is in Letter #246?
(a) He does not think that Frodo is a hero.
(b) He thinks that Frodo is a hero.
(c) He thinks that Frodo is only heroic in two situations.
(d) He thinks that Frodo is mostly a hero, but not fully.
5. What choice does Tolkien think each person has?
(a) To search for answers or leave unanswered questions.
(b) To cultivate or leave undeveloped.
(c) To become educated or remain uneducated.
(d) To perfect a skill or to remain a novice.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which literary technique does Tolkien not appreciate?
2. When does Tolkien begin using a typewriter for his letters?
3. As displayed in Letter #257, what is the connection between Tolkien's childhood and his later years?
4. To whom does Tolkien write about the impact of C.S. Lewis' passing?
5. What does Tolkien wish for "well-meaning folk who think they know" in Letter #236?
Short Essay Questions
1. What wish does Tolkien have for "well-meaning" editors in Letter #236?
2. What suspicions are confirmed by Tolkien about a woman's used book in 1965?
3. Which familiar people does Tolkien continue to write to in the "Later Years," and which recipients are new?
4. What does Tolkien think about Frodo's breakdown at the Cracks of Doom being considered a moral failure?
5. What information does Tolkien provide in his remembrance of C.S. Lewis in Letters #257 and #261?
6. What important announcement does Tolkien make to Christopher Bretherton in Letter #253 about his connection to childhood?
7. What issues is Tolkien having with the cover images for The Lord of the Rings books and how does he handle the situation?
8. How did being a father help Tolkien in writing one of his most well known stories, The Hobbit?
9. Why, when, and how does Tolkien switch from writing with a pen and paper to using a typewriter?
10. What is Tolkien's initial reaction when he is warned about his friendship with C.S. Lewis and what happens to change his mind?
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)