|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who are the familiar recipients of the letters of the 1960s that are included in "Later Years"?
(a) Christopher and Rayner Unwin.
(b) Christopher, Edith, and Rayner Unwin.
(c) Edith and Rayner Unwin.
(d) Christopher and Edith Unwin.
2. Why does Tolkien think his new position at the university will be better received in Letter #182?
(a) Because of his fame as an author.
(b) Because of the amount of time he has worked at the university.
(c) Because of the anticipation of the new book he is writing.
(d) Because of the reputation of the person that preceded him.
3. In a letter to W.H. Auden, where does Tolkien reveal his work as a professor originates from?
(a) The recommendation of a friend.
(b) His actual interests.
(c) His value of the English language.
(d) An accidental job interview.
4. What two months are Letters #146, 147, and 148 written in?
(a) August and September.
(b) November and December.
(c) February and March.
(d) June and July.
5. What does Tolkien announce to Christopher Bretherton in Letter #257?
(a) He is a scientific philologist.
(b) He is retiring from writing.
(c) He is retiring from teaching.
(d) He is only writing poetry now.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Tolkien replying to in Letter #246?
2. Why does a woman think that a used book she purchased had been previously owned by Tolkien?
3. Why does C.S. Lewis use the name Numenor in one of his stories?
4. How does Tolkien react to the original cover designs that he is sent for his books?
5. Based on Tolkien's letter to W.H. Auden, who is responsible for shaping an individual's behavior?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Tolkien's initial reaction when he is warned about his friendship with C.S. Lewis and what happens to change his mind?
2. What issues is Tolkien having with the cover images for The Lord of the Rings books and how does he handle the situation?
3. How did being a father help Tolkien in writing one of his most well known stories, The Hobbit?
4. What is the general range in lengths of the letters featured in The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien?
5. As Tolkien explains in his letter to Unwin, why is the work of C.S. Lewis opposed by some?
6. What suspicions are confirmed by Tolkien about a woman's used book in 1965?
7. How does Allen & Unwin respond to Tolkien's opinion of the cover images?
8. What wish does Tolkien have for "well-meaning" editors in Letter #236?
9. Who is Tolkien writing to when he predicts what would happen if Gandalf had worn the Ring, and what is his prediction?
10. What important announcement does Tolkien make to Christopher Bretherton in Letter #253 about his connection to childhood?
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)