|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which two characters have a dynamic that Tolkien thinks has a great effect on the events in The Lord of Rings?
(a) Frodo and Gollum.
(b) Gandalf and Sauron.
(c) Frodo and Gandalf.
(d) Gandalf and Gollum.
2. According to his letters, how does Tolkien consider his experience with the publisher about the cover designs?
3. How do the Belgians describe Tolkien in Letter #165?
(a) The creator of Mr. Bilbo Baggins.
(b) The creator of Gandolf.
(c) The author of The Silmarillion.
(d) The author of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings.
4. How long is Tolkien's Letter #256 to Colin Bailey?
(a) Two pages.
(b) One page.
(c) One paragraph.
(d) Two paragraphs.
5. As explained in Letter #256, how long does Tolkien's current book take place after Mordor has collapsed?
(a) Two hundred years.
(b) One hundred years.
(c) One hundred and fifty years.
(d) Fifty years.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tolkien describe his work for a dictionary?
2. What feeling does Tolkien have about knowing the entire story of The Lord of the Rings?
3. In a letter to W.H. Auden, where does Tolkien reveal his work as a professor originates from?
4. According to Letter #257, why did Tolkien find it difficult to become close friends with Charles Williams, a mutual friend of C.S. Lewis?
5. Which novel was being made into a paperback, prompting the debate over spelling in Letter #236?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the mystery of creative writing that Tolkien reveals in Letter #199 to Christopher?
2. How did being a father help Tolkien in writing one of his most well known stories, The Hobbit?
3. What observation is made about Tolkien's work that prompts him to evaluate Frodo's heroic status?
4. Which literary device does Tolkien not appreciate and how does he view the intended audience of fairy tales?
5. Why, when, and how does Tolkien switch from writing with a pen and paper to using a typewriter?
6. How does Allen & Unwin respond to Tolkien's opinion of the cover images?
7. How does Tolkien support his assessment of Gandalf's Ring-wearing in Letter #246?
8. Which familiar people does Tolkien continue to write to in the "Later Years," and which recipients are new?
9. What is Tolkien's initial reaction when he is warned about his friendship with C.S. Lewis and what happens to change his mind?
10. What suspicions are confirmed by Tolkien about a woman's used book in 1965?
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)