|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Tolkien's age when he writes Letter #253?
(a) He is in his seventies.
(b) He is in his nineties.
(c) He is in his eighties.
(d) He is in his sixties.
2. In what year does Tolkien write about a piece of fan mail that boosts his spirits in "The Final Letters"?
3. In what year is Letter #253 written?
4. Which versions of <i>The Hobbit<i> earn Tolkien an honorary doctorate, as mentioned in Letter #165?
(a) The Italian and German versions.
(b) The Italian and French versions.
(c) The French and German versions.
(d) The Italian, French, and German versions.
5. How does Tolkien react to the original cover designs that he is sent for his books?
(a) He is very happy with them.
(b) He does not understand them.
(c) He is unhappy with them.
(d) He likes them overall, but has a few suggestions.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tolkien respond to C.S. Lewis' use of the name Numenor in one of his stories?
2. When does Tolkien write to Unwin about C.S. Lewis in "Now the Books Themselves"?
3. How heroic does Tolkien think Frodo is in Letter #246?
4. What feeling does Tolkien have about knowing the entire story of <i>The Lord of the Rings</i>?
5. As mentioned in Letter #246, where is Frodo unable to give up the Ring?
This section contains 290 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)