|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Tolkien respond to the woman when she writes to him to inquire whether he had owned a book she purchased?
(a) He confirms that he had owned the book.
(b) He is unsure if he owned the book or not.
(c) He does not respond.
(d) He denies owning the book.
2. According to Tolkien in Letter #257, what prevents people from having children?
(a) Fear and reluctance.
(b) Fear, but not reluctance.
(c) Neither fear nor reluctance.
(d) Reluctance, but not fear.
3. Which two characters have a dynamic that Tolkien thinks has a great effect on the events in The Lord of Rings?
(a) Frodo and Gandalf.
(b) Gandalf and Gollum.
(c) Gandalf and Sauron.
(d) Frodo and Gollum.
4. How do the Belgians describe Tolkien in Letter #165?
(a) The creator of Mr. Bilbo Baggins.
(b) The author of The Silmarillion.
(c) The creator of Gandolf.
(d) The author of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings.
5. Why does Tolkien think his new position at the university will be better received in Letter #182?
(a) Because of the amount of time he has worked at the university.
(b) Because of his fame as an author.
(c) Because of the anticipation of the new book he is writing.
(d) Because of the reputation of the person that preceded him.
Short Answer Questions
1. As mentioned in a letter to Unwin, how had Tolkien previously responded to the warning about his friendship with C.S. Lewis?
2. According to Tolkien in Letter #246, what would have happened if Gandalf wore the ring?
3. Besides his complaint in "Later Years", how many other times in the book so far has Tolkien complained about the spelling changes made by the editorial staff of a publishing company?
4. Who are most of the recipients of "The Final Letters"?
5. When is Letter #159 dated?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Tolkien's letter to W.H. Auden, what drives humans towards certain behaviors?
2. Who does Tolkien thank in his letter to D. Auden on 1955?
3. How does Tolkien disprove the misconception that his success was made overnight in Letter #159?
4. How does Tolkien support his assessment of Gandalf's Ring-wearing in Letter #246?
5. Who is Tolkien writing to when he predicts what would happen if Gandalf had worn the Ring, and what is his prediction?
6. What important announcement does Tolkien make to Christopher Bretherton in Letter #253 about his connection to childhood?
7. What problem of Sauron does Tolkien describe in his letter to Auden as an example of human behavior?
8. What wish does Tolkien have for "well-meaning" editors in Letter #236?
9. What is Tolkien's initial reaction when he is warned about his friendship with C.S. Lewis and what happens to change his mind?
10. What observation is made about Tolkien's work that prompts him to evaluate Frodo's heroic status?
This section contains 945 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)