|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Besides his complaint in "Later Years", how many other times in the book so far has Tolkien complained about the spelling changes made by the editorial staff of a publishing company?
(b) Three times.
2. How many Elves does Tolkien think might be able to manage the Ring of Power in Letter #246?
3. What book has Tolkien recently completed when he writes a letter to W.H. Auden that is included in "To Anne Barrett of Houghton Mifflin Co."?
(a) The Return of the King.
(b) The Silmarillion.
(c) The Lord of the Rings.
(d) Unfinished Tales.
4. According to his letters, how does Tolkien consider his experience with the publisher about the cover designs?
5. What age does J.R.R. Tolkien pass away?
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom is Letter #159 addressed?
2. What choice does Tolkien think each person has?
3. What is Tolkien's age when he writes Letter #253?
4. What is the title of Tolkien's lecture that is included in an academic journal?
5. How long does it take Tolkien to get his story about The Lord of the Rings published, according to Letter #159?
Short Essay Questions
1. What suspicions are confirmed by Tolkien about a woman's used book in 1965?
2. What is Tolkien's initial reaction when he is warned about his friendship with C.S. Lewis and what happens to change his mind?
3. What wish does Tolkien have for "well-meaning" editors in Letter #236?
4. What information does Tolkien provide in his remembrance of C.S. Lewis in Letters #257 and #261?
5. According to Tolkien's letter to W.H. Auden, what drives humans towards certain behaviors?
6. How did being a father help Tolkien in writing one of his most well known stories, The Hobbit?
7. What issues is Tolkien having with the cover images for The Lord of the Rings books and how does he handle the situation?
8. Why is Tolkien honored with a degree from the Belgians and how do they refer to him?
9. Why, when, and how does Tolkien switch from writing with a pen and paper to using a typewriter?
10. What is the general range in lengths of the letters featured in The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)