|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many Elves does Tolkien think might be able to manage the Ring of Power in Letter #246?
2. As Tolkien explains in Letter #246, what is the main difference between Gandalf and Sauron?
(a) Gandalf never succumbs to the Enemy.
(b) Gandalf succumbs to the Enemy.
(c) Sauron has much more wisdom.
(d) Sauron has much less wisdom.
3. What university did C.S. Lewis have a Chair position?
(a) University of Oxford.
(b) University of Cambridge.
(c) University of Edinburgh.
(d) University of Manchester.
4. Who are the familiar recipients of the letters of the 1960s that are included in "Later Years"?
(a) Christopher and Edith Unwin.
(b) Christopher and Rayner Unwin.
(c) Edith and Rayner Unwin.
(d) Christopher, Edith, and Rayner Unwin.
5. What two months are Letters #146, 147, and 148 written in?
(a) June and July.
(b) August and September.
(c) February and March.
(d) November and December.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tolkien categorize the attempts made to change his spellings in Letter #236?
2. How long is Letter #182?
3. What is the main subject of Letters #146, 147, and 148?
4. When is Letter #246, about Gandalf and the Ring, written?
5. What does Tolkien think drives humans towards certain behaviors?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the mystery of creative writing that Tolkien reveals in Letter #199 to Christopher?
2. What observation is made about Tolkien's work that prompts him to evaluate Frodo's heroic status?
3. How does Tolkien support his assessment of Gandalf's Ring-wearing in Letter #246?
4. What does Tolkien think about Frodo's breakdown at the Cracks of Doom being considered a moral failure?
5. What changes have occurred in Tolkien's career as a professor by Letter #182 in 1956?
6. How does Tolkien address the name Numenor in Letter #227?
7. What suspicions are confirmed by Tolkien about a woman's used book in 1965?
8. Why is Tolkien honored with a degree from the Belgians and how do they refer to him?
9. How does Allen & Unwin respond to Tolkien's opinion of the cover images?
10. Who is Tolkien writing to when he predicts what would happen if Gandalf had worn the Ring, and what is his prediction?
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)