|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What choice does Tolkien think each person has?
(a) To perfect a skill or to remain a novice.
(b) To become educated or remain uneducated.
(c) To search for answers or leave unanswered questions.
(d) To cultivate or leave undeveloped.
2. How do the Belgians describe Tolkien in Letter #165?
(a) The author of The Silmarillion.
(b) The creator of Mr. Bilbo Baggins.
(c) The creator of Gandolf.
(d) The author of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings.
3. How does Tolkien react to the original cover designs that he is sent for his books?
(a) He likes them overall, but has a few suggestions.
(b) He is unhappy with them.
(c) He is very happy with them.
(d) He does not understand them.
4. Which one of the following is a topic of discussion in Letter #150 to Christopher?
(a) The number of books sold.
(b) Maps for the books.
(c) Advertisements for the books.
(d) The number of books printed.
5. How long is Tolkien's Letter #256 to Colin Bailey?
(a) Two paragraphs.
(b) One paragraph.
(c) One page.
(d) Two pages.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many Elves does Tolkien think might be able to manage the Ring of Power in Letter #246?
2. Who are the familiar recipients of the letters of the 1960s that are included in "Later Years"?
3. How does Tolkien consider Frodo's breakdown in Letter #246?
4. What two months are Letters #146, 147, and 148 written in?
5. As explained in Letter #256, how long does Tolkien's current book take place after Mordor has collapsed?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Tolkien explains in his letter to Unwin, why is the work of C.S. Lewis opposed by some?
2. According to Tolkien's letter to W.H. Auden, what drives humans towards certain behaviors?
3. What information does Tolkien provide in his remembrance of C.S. Lewis in Letters #257 and #261?
4. Which literary device does Tolkien not appreciate and how does he view the intended audience of fairy tales?
5. What is Tolkien's initial reaction when he is warned about his friendship with C.S. Lewis and what happens to change his mind?
6. What is the mystery of creative writing that Tolkien reveals in Letter #199 to Christopher?
7. What previously unmentioned career achievement does Tolkien reveal to Christopher Bretherton in Letter #253?
8. What suspicions are confirmed by Tolkien about a woman's used book in 1965?
9. Why, when, and how does Tolkien switch from writing with a pen and paper to using a typewriter?
10. What is the general range in lengths of the letters featured in The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien?
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)