|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Tolkien write to Unwin about C.S. Lewis in "Now the Books Themselves"?
(a) November 19.
(b) September 9.
(c) November 9.
(d) September 19.
2. What does Tolkien announce to Christopher Bretherton in Letter #257?
(a) He is retiring from writing.
(b) He is only writing poetry now.
(c) He is retiring from teaching.
(d) He is a scientific philologist.
3. In his letter to D. Auden in "The Lord of the Rings Are Published," why does Tolkien think his work is published?
(a) The stories have the ability to connect with children and adults.
(b) The publisher was a fan of the story as a child.
(c) The stories have the ability to transcend time periods.
(d) The publisher was a childhood friend of his.
4. In what year is Letter #253 written?
5. What does the publisher do after reading Tolkien's opinions of the cover designs?
(a) They leave the covers as is despite his opinions.
(b) They change the covers based on his opinions.
(c) They request more detailed notes from him.
(d) They threaten to stop publishing the books.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long before Tolkien's death is the last letter of the book written?
2. Why does a woman think that a used book she purchased had been previously owned by Tolkien?
3. How long is Tolkien's Letter #256 to Colin Bailey?
4. How does Tolkien categorize the attempts made to change his spellings in Letter #236?
5. What is the only date found on Letter #182?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Tolkien thank in his letter to D. Auden on 1955?
2. Why is Tolkien honored with a degree from the Belgians and how do they refer to him?
3. Which literary device does Tolkien not appreciate and how does he view the intended audience of fairy tales?
4. How does Tolkien disprove the misconception that his success was made overnight in Letter #159?
5. According to Tolkien's letter to W.H. Auden, what drives humans towards certain behaviors?
6. How does Tolkien support his assessment of Gandalf's Ring-wearing in Letter #246?
7. What suspicions are confirmed by Tolkien about a woman's used book in 1965?
8. When is Tolkien's final letter written and how does he attempt to assemble his work before he passes away?
9. What does Tolkien think about Frodo's breakdown at the Cracks of Doom being considered a moral failure?
10. What is the mystery of creative writing that Tolkien reveals in Letter #199 to Christopher?
This section contains 888 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)