|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Overall, what is the length of the longest letters included in the book?
(a) A few thousand words.
(b) A few hundred words.
(c) Over ten pages.
(d) Over twenty pages.
2. In Tolkien as "The Old Man," which dictionary does Tolkien reveal he worked for earlier in his life?
(a) American Heritage.
3. Which two characters have a dynamic that Tolkien thinks has a great effect on the events in The Lord of Rings?
(a) Frodo and Gollum.
(b) Gandalf and Sauron.
(c) Frodo and Gandalf.
(d) Gandalf and Gollum.
4. To whom is Letter #159 addressed?
(c) Dora Marshall.
(d) Rayner Unwin.
5. Which literary technique does Tolkien not appreciate?
Short Answer Questions
1. What book has Tolkien recently completed when he writes a letter to W.H. Auden that is included in "To Anne Barrett of Houghton Mifflin Co."?
2. How does Tolkien react to the original cover designs that he is sent for his books?
3. What does Tolkien think children can become for their parents?
4. What year does Tolkien write a long letter to Jane Neave that is included in "Later Years"?
5. What year does Tolkien write to his publisher with his thoughts on the original cover designs?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Tolkien honored with a degree from the Belgians and how do they refer to him?
2. In what way does Tolkien think that his story will help both existing parents and future parents?
3. What observation is made about Tolkien's work that prompts him to evaluate Frodo's heroic status?
4. What is the mystery of creative writing that Tolkien reveals in Letter #199 to Christopher?
5. What problem of Sauron does Tolkien describe in his letter to Auden as an example of human behavior?
6. How does Tolkien disprove the misconception that his success was made overnight in Letter #159?
7. How does Tolkien address the name Numenor in Letter #227?
8. How did being a father help Tolkien in writing one of his most well known stories, The Hobbit?
9. Which familiar people does Tolkien continue to write to in the "Later Years," and which recipients are new?
10. Which literary device does Tolkien not appreciate and how does he view the intended audience of fairy tales?
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)