|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Tolkien as "The Old Man," which dictionary does Tolkien reveal he worked for earlier in his life?
(d) American Heritage.
2. When does Tolkien begin using a typewriter for his letters?
(a) April 1966.
(b) April 1965.
(c) July 1964.
(d) July 1963.
3. What does Tolkien wish for "well-meaning folk who think they know" in Letter #236?
(a) They could be appreciated.
(b) They could be reasoned with.
(c) They could be listened to.
(d) They could be restrained.
4. What age does J.R.R. Tolkien pass away?
5. What feeling does Tolkien have about knowing the entire story of The Lord of the Rings?
(a) A different and possibly strange feeling.
(b) A different and possibly familiar feeling.
(c) An unexpected and strange feeling.
(d) An expected and familiar feeling.
Short Answer Questions
1. When is Letter #185 written to Christopher and Faith Tolkien?
2. Who are the familiar recipients of the letters of the 1960s that are included in "Later Years"?
3. How long does it take Tolkien to get his story about The Lord of the Rings published, according to Letter #159?
4. Which versions of The Hobbit earn Tolkien an honorary doctorate, as mentioned in Letter #165?
5. In Letter #227, how does Tolkien explain the name, Numenor?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Tolkien writing to when he predicts what would happen if Gandalf had worn the Ring, and what is his prediction?
2. What suspicions are confirmed by Tolkien about a woman's used book in 1965?
3. How does Tolkien support his assessment of Gandalf's Ring-wearing in Letter #246?
4. Why, when, and how does Tolkien switch from writing with a pen and paper to using a typewriter?
5. What information does Tolkien provide in his remembrance of C.S. Lewis in Letters #257 and #261?
6. How does Tolkien disprove the misconception that his success was made overnight in Letter #159?
7. What important announcement does Tolkien make to Christopher Bretherton in Letter #253 about his connection to childhood?
8. What observation is made about Tolkien's work that prompts him to evaluate Frodo's heroic status?
9. How did being a father help Tolkien in writing one of his most well known stories, The Hobbit?
10. What changes have occurred in Tolkien's career as a professor by Letter #182 in 1956?
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)