|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Tolkien replying to in Letter #246?
(b) Mrs. Eileen Elgar.
(c) Rayner Unwin.
2. According to his letters, how does Tolkien consider his experience with the publisher about the cover designs?
3. Why does C.S. Lewis use the name Numenor in one of his stories?
(a) As an attempt to write a sequel to The Lord of the Rings.
(b) As a way to generate interest in the story.
(c) As an attempt to rewrite The Lord of the Rings.
(d) As a reference to Tolkien.
4. How does Tolkien respond to the woman when she writes to him to inquire whether he had owned a book she purchased?
(a) He confirms that he had owned the book.
(b) He does not respond.
(c) He is unsure if he owned the book or not.
(d) He denies owning the book.
5. As displayed in Letter #257, what is the connection between Tolkien's childhood and his later years?
(a) His enjoyment of stories.
(b) His fascination with Elves.
(c) His writing.
(d) His education.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two months are Letters #146, 147, and 148 written in?
2. To whom is Letter #159 addressed?
3. According to Tolkien in Letter #246, what would have happened if Gandalf wore the ring?
4. Who are most of the recipients of "The Final Letters"?
5. What book has Tolkien recently completed when he writes a letter to W.H. Auden that is included in "To Anne Barrett of Houghton Mifflin Co."?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Tolkien's initial reaction when he is warned about his friendship with C.S. Lewis and what happens to change his mind?
2. Which familiar people does Tolkien continue to write to in the "Later Years," and which recipients are new?
3. What issues is Tolkien having with the cover images for The Lord of the Rings books and how does he handle the situation?
4. In what way does Tolkien think that his story will help both existing parents and future parents?
5. Why, when, and how does Tolkien switch from writing with a pen and paper to using a typewriter?
6. When is Tolkien's final letter written and how does he attempt to assemble his work before he passes away?
7. Who does Tolkien thank in his letter to D. Auden on 1955?
8. What previously unmentioned career achievement does Tolkien reveal to Christopher Bretherton in Letter #253?
9. How does Allen & Unwin respond to Tolkien's opinion of the cover images?
10. What problem of Sauron does Tolkien describe in his letter to Auden as an example of human behavior?
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)