|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When is Letter #246, about Gandalf and the Ring, written?
(a) September 1963.
(b) September 1964.
(c) November 1965.
(d) November 1962.
2. As mentioned in Letter #246, where is Frodo unable to give up the Ring?
(a) The Cracks of Doom.
(b) Pelennor Fields.
(c) Fangorn Forest.
(d) The Shire.
3. What type of good news does Tolkien preview in Letter #185?
(b) Financial and personal.
(c) Neither financial nor personal.
4. According to the information in Letter #182, what position does Tolkien now have?
(a) Department Coordinator.
(b) Department Chair.
(c) Associate Professor.
(d) Senior Professor.
5. How heroic does Tolkien think Frodo is in Letter #246?
(a) He thinks that Frodo is only heroic in two situations.
(b) He thinks that Frodo is mostly a hero, but not fully.
(c) He does not think that Frodo is a hero.
(d) He thinks that Frodo is a hero.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does it take Tolkien to get his story about The Lord of the Rings published, according to Letter #159?
2. How does Tolkien respond to the publisher's actions with the cover designs in "Now the Books Themselves"?
3. How does Tolkien sign Letter #165?
4. Why does C.S. Lewis use the name Numenor in one of his stories?
5. Which versions of The Hobbit earn Tolkien an honorary doctorate, as mentioned in Letter #165?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which literary device does Tolkien not appreciate and how does he view the intended audience of fairy tales?
2. Who is Tolkien writing to when he predicts what would happen if Gandalf had worn the Ring, and what is his prediction?
3. When is Tolkien's final letter written and how does he attempt to assemble his work before he passes away?
4. What is the mystery of creative writing that Tolkien reveals in Letter #199 to Christopher?
5. What changes have occurred in Tolkien's career as a professor by Letter #182 in 1956?
6. What issues is Tolkien having with the cover images for The Lord of the Rings books and how does he handle the situation?
7. What important announcement does Tolkien make to Christopher Bretherton in Letter #253 about his connection to childhood?
8. How does Allen & Unwin respond to Tolkien's opinion of the cover images?
9. How does Tolkien address the name Numenor in Letter #227?
10. How does Tolkien support his assessment of Gandalf's Ring-wearing in Letter #246?
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)