|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Letter #227, how does Tolkien explain the name, Numenor?
(a) Illogical and not easily translated between languages.
(b) Illogical, but subjectively translated between languages.
(c) Logical, but subjectively translated between languages.
(d) Logical and not easily translated between languages.
2. What does Tolkien announce to Christopher Bretherton in Letter #257?
(a) He is only writing poetry now.
(b) He is a scientific philologist.
(c) He is retiring from teaching.
(d) He is retiring from writing.
3. What type of good news does Tolkien preview in Letter #185?
(c) Neither financial nor personal.
(d) Financial and personal.
4. What is Tolkien's age when he writes Letter #253?
(a) He is in his sixties.
(b) He is in his nineties.
(c) He is in his eighties.
(d) He is in his seventies.
5. How does Tolkien respond to the publisher's actions with the cover designs in "Now the Books Themselves"?
(a) He is upset.
(b) He is unresponsive.
(c) He is thankful.
(d) He is confused.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the title of Tolkien's lecture that is included in an academic journal?
2. How does Tolkien think his writing about the joys of fatherhood will be interpreted by people who are not yet parents?
3. When does Tolkien write to Unwin about C.S. Lewis in "Now the Books Themselves"?
4. Why does C.S. Lewis use the name Numenor in one of his stories?
5. Which one of the following is a topic of discussion in Letter #150 to Christopher?
Short Essay Questions
1. What changes have occurred in Tolkien's career as a professor by Letter #182 in 1956?
2. What suspicions are confirmed by Tolkien about a woman's used book in 1965?
3. How does Tolkien disprove the misconception that his success was made overnight in Letter #159?
4. According to Tolkien's letter to W.H. Auden, what drives humans towards certain behaviors?
5. How does Allen & Unwin respond to Tolkien's opinion of the cover images?
6. Who does Tolkien thank in his letter to D. Auden on 1955?
7. What issues is Tolkien having with the cover images for The Lord of the Rings books and how does he handle the situation?
8. What observation is made about Tolkien's work that prompts him to evaluate Frodo's heroic status?
9. What is the mystery of creative writing that Tolkien reveals in Letter #199 to Christopher?
10. What important announcement does Tolkien make to Christopher Bretherton in Letter #253 about his connection to childhood?
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)