|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Tolkien think his writing about the joys of fatherhood will be interpreted by people who are not yet parents?
(a) They will not be surprised.
(b) It will be very helpful.
(c) They will be surprised.
(d) It will not be very helpful.
2. How do the Belgians describe Tolkien in Letter #165?
(a) The creator of Gandolf.
(b) The author of <i>The Silmarillion</i>.
(c) The author of <i>The Hobbit<i> and <i>The Lord of the Rings</i>.
(d) The creator of Mr. Bilbo Baggins.
3. Which literary technique does Tolkien not appreciate?
4. Which one of the following is a topic of discussion in Letter #150 to Christopher?
(a) Advertisements for the books.
(b) The number of books sold.
(c) Maps for the books.
(d) The number of books printed.
5. Which two characters have a dynamic that Tolkien thinks has a great effect on the events in <i>The Lord of Rings</i>?
(a) Gandalf and Sauron.
(b) Frodo and Gandalf.
(c) Gandalf and Gollum.
(d) Frodo and Gollum.
Short Answer Questions
1. Based on Tolkien's assessment in Letter #159, who is the most surprised about the results of the published books?
2. What book has Tolkien recently completed when he writes a letter to W.H. Auden that is included in "To Anne Barrett of Houghton Mifflin Co."?
3. In Letter #227, how does Tolkien explain the name, Numenor?
4. When is Letter #159 dated?
5. How does Tolkien consider Frodo's breakdown in Letter #246?
This section contains 320 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)