|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Tolkien begin using a typewriter for his letters?
(a) July 1964.
(b) April 1965.
(c) April 1966.
(d) July 1963.
2. What type of good news does Tolkien preview in Letter #185?
(a) Financial and personal.
(c) Neither financial nor personal.
3. How does Tolkien categorize the attempts made to change his spellings in Letter #236?
(a) Somewhat misguided.
(b) Largely misguided.
(c) Unintentionally offensive.
(d) Intentionally offensive.
4. As mentioned in a letter to Unwin, how had Tolkien previously responded to the warning about his friendship with C.S. Lewis?
(a) He did not take the warning seriously.
(b) He began talking with C.S. Lewis' other friends.
(c) He misinterpreted the warning.
(d) He stopped talking with C.S. Lewis.
5. Who are the familiar recipients of the letters of the 1960s that are included in "Later Years"?
(a) Christopher and Edith Unwin.
(b) Christopher, Edith, and Rayner Unwin.
(c) Edith and Rayner Unwin.
(d) Christopher and Rayner Unwin.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which literary technique does Tolkien not appreciate?
2. According to Tolkien in Letter #246, what would have happened if Gandalf wore the ring?
3. What does Tolkien think drives humans towards certain behaviors?
4. How heroic does Tolkien think Frodo is in Letter #246?
5. What is Tolkien finishing while writing the letters included in "The Lord of the Rings Are Published"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Tolkien honored with a degree from the Belgians and how do they refer to him?
2. How did being a father help Tolkien in writing one of his most well known stories, The Hobbit?
3. Who does Tolkien thank in his letter to D. Auden on 1955?
4. What observation is made about Tolkien's work that prompts him to evaluate Frodo's heroic status?
5. What is the general range in lengths of the letters featured in The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien?
6. How does Tolkien support his assessment of Gandalf's Ring-wearing in Letter #246?
7. How does Tolkien address the name Numenor in Letter #227?
8. How does Allen & Unwin respond to Tolkien's opinion of the cover images?
9. What important announcement does Tolkien make to Christopher Bretherton in Letter #253 about his connection to childhood?
10. Why, when, and how does Tolkien switch from writing with a pen and paper to using a typewriter?
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)