|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What age does J.R.R. Tolkien pass away?
2. When is Letter #246, about Gandalf and the Ring, written?
(a) November 1962.
(b) November 1965.
(c) September 1963.
(d) September 1964.
3. Overall, what is the length of the longest letters included in the book?
(a) Over ten pages.
(b) A few hundred words.
(c) Over twenty pages.
(d) A few thousand words.
4. What year does Tolkien write to his publisher with his thoughts on the original cover designs?
5. Based on Tolkien's letter to W.H. Auden, who is responsible for shaping an individual's behavior?
(a) Neither the individual nor people around them.
(b) People around the individual.
(c) The individual.
(d) The individual and people around them.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tolkien describe his work for a dictionary?
2. How long before Tolkien's death is the last letter of the book written?
3. When is Letter #185 written to Christopher and Faith Tolkien?
4. How does Tolkien think his writing about the joys of fatherhood will be interpreted by people who are parents?
5. Which literary technique does Tolkien not appreciate?
Short Essay Questions
1. What observation is made about Tolkien's work that prompts him to evaluate Frodo's heroic status?
2. What is Tolkien's initial reaction when he is warned about his friendship with C.S. Lewis and what happens to change his mind?
3. What information does Tolkien provide in his remembrance of C.S. Lewis in Letters #257 and #261?
4. What wish does Tolkien have for "well-meaning" editors in Letter #236?
5. What is the general range in lengths of the letters featured in The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien?
6. What changes have occurred in Tolkien's career as a professor by Letter #182 in 1956?
7. What is the mystery of creative writing that Tolkien reveals in Letter #199 to Christopher?
8. What previously unmentioned career achievement does Tolkien reveal to Christopher Bretherton in Letter #253?
9. Which literary device does Tolkien not appreciate and how does he view the intended audience of fairy tales?
10. As Tolkien explains in his letter to Unwin, why is the work of C.S. Lewis opposed by some?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)