|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Based on Tolkien's assessment in Letter #246, what drives Frodo to embark on the incredible journey?
(a) The love of a friend and loyalty.
(b) Loyalty and the need to do what is right.
(c) The need to do what is right and the love of a friend.
(d) The need to do what is right, the love of a friend, and loyalty.
2. How many Elves does Tolkien think might be able to manage the Ring of Power in Letter #246?
3. What is Tolkien finishing while writing the letters included in "The Lord of the Rings Are Published"?
(a) The collection of poems that coincides with the trilogy.
(b) The poem that coincides with the trilogy.
(c) The manuscript for the prequel to the trilogy.
(d) The manuscript for the final story of the trilogy.
4. Who are most of the recipients of "The Final Letters"?
(a) Tolkien's students.
(b) Tolkien's friends.
(c) Tolkien's relatives.
(d) Tolkien's publishers.
5. What university did C.S. Lewis have a Chair position?
(a) University of Edinburgh.
(b) University of Cambridge.
(c) University of Manchester.
(d) University of Oxford.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the title of Tolkien's lecture that is included in an academic journal?
2. Why does C.S. Lewis use the name Numenor in one of his stories?
3. What two months are Letters #146, 147, and 148 written in?
4. What age does J.R.R. Tolkien pass away?
5. Which novel was being made into a paperback, prompting the debate over spelling in Letter #236?
Short Essay Questions
1. What suspicions are confirmed by Tolkien about a woman's used book in 1965?
2. Why is Tolkien honored with a degree from the Belgians and how do they refer to him?
3. How does Tolkien disprove the misconception that his success was made overnight in Letter #159?
4. When is Tolkien's final letter written and how does he attempt to assemble his work before he passes away?
5. What changes have occurred in Tolkien's career as a professor by Letter #182 in 1956?
6. How does Tolkien address the name Numenor in Letter #227?
7. Which familiar people does Tolkien continue to write to in the "Later Years," and which recipients are new?
8. What does Tolkien think about Frodo's breakdown at the Cracks of Doom being considered a moral failure?
9. What previously unmentioned career achievement does Tolkien reveal to Christopher Bretherton in Letter #253?
10. How did being a father help Tolkien in writing one of his most well known stories, The Hobbit?
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)