|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Tolkien write to Unwin about C.S. Lewis in "Now the Books Themselves"?
(a) September 19.
(b) November 9.
(c) September 9.
(d) November 19.
2. What age does J.R.R. Tolkien pass away?
3. How does Tolkien categorize the attempts made to change his spellings in Letter #236?
(a) Intentionally offensive.
(b) Largely misguided.
(c) Unintentionally offensive.
(d) Somewhat misguided.
4. Who are most of the recipients of "The Final Letters"?
(a) Tolkien's relatives.
(b) Tolkien's publishers.
(c) Tolkien's students.
(d) Tolkien's friends.
5. Why does a woman think that a used book she purchased had been previously owned by Tolkien?
(a) His signature on the last page of the book.
(b) The owner of the used book store informs her that Tolkien had owned it.
(c) A letter of his folded in between two pages of the book.
(d) Handwritten scripts in the book.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of good news does Tolkien preview in Letter #185?
2. How does Tolkien sign Letter #165?
3. How does Tolkien think his writing about the joys of fatherhood will be interpreted by people who are parents?
4. Overall, what is the length of the longest letters included in the book?
5. What year does Tolkien write a long letter to Jane Neave that is included in "Later Years"?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way does Tolkien think that his story will help both existing parents and future parents?
2. How does Tolkien address the name Numenor in Letter #227?
3. What is Tolkien's initial reaction when he is warned about his friendship with C.S. Lewis and what happens to change his mind?
4. What is the general range in lengths of the letters featured in The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien?
5. Who does Tolkien thank in his letter to D. Auden on 1955?
6. As Tolkien explains in his letter to Unwin, why is the work of C.S. Lewis opposed by some?
7. When is Tolkien's final letter written and how does he attempt to assemble his work before he passes away?
8. Which familiar people does Tolkien continue to write to in the "Later Years," and which recipients are new?
9. What wish does Tolkien have for "well-meaning" editors in Letter #236?
10. What is the mystery of creative writing that Tolkien reveals in Letter #199 to Christopher?
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)