|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Tolkien describe Gandalf in Letter #246?
2. When does Tolkien begin using a typewriter for his letters?
(a) July 1963.
(b) July 1964.
(c) April 1965.
(d) April 1966.
3. What two months are Letters #146, 147, and 148 written in?
(a) August and September.
(b) November and December.
(c) February and March.
(d) June and July.
4. Which one of the following is a topic of discussion in Letter #150 to Christopher?
(a) The number of books sold.
(b) The number of books printed.
(c) Advertisements for the books.
(d) Maps for the books.
5. In what year does Tolkien write about a piece of fan mail that boosts his spirits in "The Final Letters"?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Tolkien in Letter #246, what would have happened if Gandalf wore the ring?
2. Who are most of the recipients of "The Final Letters"?
3. What age does J.R.R. Tolkien pass away?
4. How does Tolkien expect the publisher to respond to his opinions of the cover designs?
5. Which new names are among the recipients of the 1960s letters included in "Later Years"?
This section contains 257 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)