|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What book has Tolkien recently completed when he writes a letter to W.H. Auden that is included in "To Anne Barrett of Houghton Mifflin Co."?
(a) Unfinished Tales.
(b) The Lord of the Rings.
(c) The Return of the King.
(d) The Silmarillion.
2. When is Letter #246, about Gandalf and the Ring, written?
(a) November 1965.
(b) November 1962.
(c) September 1963.
(d) September 1964.
3. What is the first topic discussed in Tolkien's letter to Unwin about C.S. Lewis in "Now the Books Themselves"?
(a) C.S. Lewis' books.
(b) The books' reviews.
(c) The books' sales.
(d) C.S. Lewis' opinions.
4. In Tolkien as "The Old Man," which dictionary does Tolkien reveal he worked for earlier in his life?
(d) American Heritage.
5. In what year is Letter #253 written?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tolkien consider Frodo's breakdown in Letter #246?
2. How long is Tolkien's Letter #256 to Colin Bailey?
3. Why does C.S. Lewis use the name Numenor in one of his stories?
4. What aspect of fiction is detailed in Letter #199?
5. How does Tolkien describe his work for a dictionary?
Short Essay Questions
1. What previously unmentioned career achievement does Tolkien reveal to Christopher Bretherton in Letter #253?
2. According to Tolkien's letter to W.H. Auden, what drives humans towards certain behaviors?
3. Who does Tolkien thank in his letter to D. Auden on 1955?
4. How does Tolkien disprove the misconception that his success was made overnight in Letter #159?
5. What wish does Tolkien have for "well-meaning" editors in Letter #236?
6. Why is Tolkien honored with a degree from the Belgians and how do they refer to him?
7. How did being a father help Tolkien in writing one of his most well known stories, The Hobbit?
8. Why, when, and how does Tolkien switch from writing with a pen and paper to using a typewriter?
9. How does Tolkien address the name Numenor in Letter #227?
10. How does Allen & Unwin respond to Tolkien's opinion of the cover images?
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)