|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Letter #27, which of the following does Tolkien say that he will leave the drawing of to someone who can draw ?
2. What does Tolkien offer to the schoolboy in Letter #114?
(a) The first draft of a never released manuscript.
(b) An encyclopedia set.
(c) Monogrammed stationery.
(d) Early copies of documents.
3. What do the letters selected for "To Unwin about The Hobbit" have in common?
(a) They are all less than one-page long.
(b) They refer to Tolkien's most well known works.
(c) They are all over five pages.
(d) They refer to Tolkien's least known works.
4. What is the result of a friendship between the Elves and the Dwarves, as Tolkien explains in Letter #131?
(a) A decline of the arts.
(b) A decline of education.
(c) An improvement in education.
(d) An improvement in the arts.
5. In what month does Tolkien write to Christopher about the writing process for The Hobbit?
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Tolkien first decides to approach the publishers about the delay of the books?
2. How does Tolkien think children will respond to Farmer Giles of Ham?
3. How often does Tolkien write to Edith during the time they are separated?
4. What is the only thing capable of destroying the Ring in Tolkien's story?
5. Who is the initial publisher for Tolkien's books when "Publisher Drama" begins?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Rayner Unwin first contact Tolkien, leading to his involvement with publishing The Lord of the Rings?
2. In Letters #66 and #69, how is Tolkien's relationship with Christopher defined?
3. What is unique about Tolkien's poem, "Errantry"?
4. What inspires a schoolboy to write to Tolkien about The Hobbit in Letter #114 and what advice does Tolkien give in return?
5. What are the Stages of History that Tolkien describes in Letter #131?
6. How was the collection of J.R.R. Tolkien's letters compiled and who helped with the process?
7. What stipulation does Tolkien have in working with Allen & Unwin on publishing The Lord of the Rings trilogy, and what request do they have for him?
8. What request does Allen & Unwin have about Farmer Giles of Ham and how does Tolkien respond?
9. What clarification does Tolkien make about the word, "Elves"?
10. What is the power of the pen and how does Tolkien explain it?
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)