|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many academic articles is Tolkien a writer for, as referred to in "The Professor"?
(a) At least one.
(b) At least ten.
(c) At least twenty.
(d) Over twenty.
2. What will the alteration mean for the book Tolkien is writing in Letter #128?
(a) It will be meant not to be read by children.
(b) It will be meant to be read by children.
(c) It will be designed not to have a sequel.
(d) It will be designed to have a sequel.
3. In Letter, #6, to what college subject does Tolkien refer?
(b) English Literature.
(c) Middle English.
4. As mentioned by Tolkien in Letter #131, when do the Hobbits first come into being?
(a) The Fourth Age.
(b) The Third Age.
(c) The Second Age.
(d) The First Age.
5. Whom does Tolkien originally ask to draw maps for the imaginary world of The Lord of the Rings?
(c) A professional illustrator.
(d) A friend.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Allen & Unwin?
2. In Letter #27, which of the following does Tolkien say that he will leave the drawing of to someone who can draw ?
3. What is the skill or ability of the Elves'?
4. In general, why do Tolkien and C.S. Lewis meet several times?
5. What does Tolkien focus on when his books make less than anticipated progress with publishers?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is unique about Tolkien's poem, "Errantry"?
2. What is the similarity between the Elves and the Machine, and what is the main difference between both sides, according to Tolkien in Letter #131?
3. How can the One Ring of Power be destroyed?
4. How does Tolkien design Farmer Giles of Ham and what does he think about it being considered a children's story?
5. In Letters #66 and #69, how is Tolkien's relationship with Christopher defined?
6. What observation does Tolkien make about his Middle English class to Mrs. E.M. Wright in Letter #6?
7. What is the One Ring of Power in Tolkien's stories?
8. How does Tolkien refer to The Hobbit in his early letters to Christopher?
9. How does Tolkien explain the role of humans and mankind in his stories in Letter #131?
10. What stipulation does Tolkien have in working with Allen & Unwin on publishing The Lord of the Rings trilogy, and what request do they have for him?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)