|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What book inspired a schoolboy to write to Tolkien, prompting his response in Letter #114?
(a) Beowulf: The Monsters and the Critics.
(b) The Silmarillion.
(c) The Hobbit.
(d) The Lord of the Rings.
2. By what year does Tolkien insist that his books be published with his new publisher?
3. What is the only thing capable of destroying the Ring in Tolkien's story?
(a) The power generated from another ring.
(b) A special type of fire.
(c) A certain magical spell.
(d) The water from a specific river.
4. What chapter of the book that Tolkien is working on is he considering altering in Letter #128?
(a) Chapter 5.
(b) Chapter 8.
(c) Chapter 3.
(d) Chapter 10.
5. How many improvements does Tolkien indicate he has made to the manuscript for Farmer Giles of Ham?
(b) Only a few.
(c) Too many to count.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Tolkien found in his manuscript when he writes Letter #69?
2. What happens when Tolkien first decides to approach the publishers about the delay of the books?
3. What happens to the wearer of the One Ring in Tolkien's story?
4. How much time has passed between Tolkien's initial idea for drawing maps and when it becomes an issue with a publisher?
5. How long is Tolkien separated from Edith, making his affection for her grow stronger?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Tolkien traveling with in the story he recounts for Christopher in a letter from April 3, 1944, and what is the point of the story?
2. How does Tolkien design Farmer Giles of Ham and what does he think about it being considered a children's story?
3. How does Tolkien describe the development of his penchant for stories in Letter #130?
4. What is the power of the pen and how does Tolkien explain it?
5. How can the One Ring of Power be destroyed?
6. What is the One Ring of Power in Tolkien's stories?
7. How old is Tolkien when the earliest letters begin and what is his situation?
8. How does Tolkien write about being given the position of chairing the English department at the university?
9. What are the Stages of History that Tolkien describes in Letter #131?
10. How does Rayner Unwin first contact Tolkien, leading to his involvement with publishing The Lord of the Rings?
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)