|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long is the summary that Tolkien's new publisher asks him to write at the end of "Publisher Drama"?
(a) Fifty words.
(b) One-hundred-and-fifty words.
(c) One-hundred words.
(d) Two-hundred words.
2. In Letter #130, what distinction does Tolkien make about the artificial languages he creates for his books?
(a) They are the opposite of an actual real life language.
(b) They are a combination of two real-life languages.
(c) They are seldom used in real life.
(d) They are never used in real life.
3. How often does Tolkien write to Edith during the time they are separated?
(a) Once a month.
(b) Once a week.
(c) Once a day.
4. As stated in the letters included in "Publisher Drama," how many times does Tolkien have the chance to use the poetic invention he makes?
(a) Three times.
(b) Four times.
5. Who provides the main order of the letters included in the book?
(a) Edith Bratt.
(b) Christopher Tolkien.
(c) Humphrey Carpenter.
(d) J.R.R. Tolkien.
Short Answer Questions
1. During the time these letters are written, what term do the British typically use to label Americans?
2. Who is the person that Tolkien thanks, and is the recipient of Letter #130?
3. How does Tolkien feel when he looks at his work in the revision stages?
4. What is the result of a friendship between the Elves and the Dwarves, as Tolkien explains in Letter #131?
5. As mentioned in Letter #66, why does Tolkien think that he will have to move some of the sections of his book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the similarity between the Elves and the Machine, and what is the main difference between both sides, according to Tolkien in Letter #131?
2. What request does Allen & Unwin have about Farmer Giles of Ham and how does Tolkien respond?
3. How are the letters for "To Unwin about The Hobbit" chosen and what information is left out of them?
4. What message does Tolkien hear when he is becoming impatient about the publishing of The Lord of the Rings?
5. What is the One Ring of Power in Tolkien's stories?
6. How does Rayner Unwin first contact Tolkien, leading to his involvement with publishing The Lord of the Rings?
7. How does Tolkien explain the role of humans and mankind in his stories in Letter #131?
8. What are galleys in literature and how does Tolkien respond to the editing process of The Lord of the Rings?
9. How was the collection of J.R.R. Tolkien's letters compiled and who helped with the process?
10. What is unique about Tolkien's poem, "Errantry"?
This section contains 890 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)