|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has Tolkien found in his manuscript when he writes Letter #69?
(b) Too many analogies.
(c) Too many metaphors.
2. How is the Machine described in Letter #131?
(a) Industrialized, but undisciplined.
(b) Disciplined, but not industrialized.
(c) Industrialized and disciplined.
(d) Neither disciplined nor industrialized.
3. What do the letters selected for "To Unwin about The Hobbit" have in common?
(a) They are all less than one-page long.
(b) They are all over five pages.
(c) They refer to Tolkien's most well known works.
(d) They refer to Tolkien's least known works.
4. How many other men are traveling with Tolkien during his conversation about accents?
5. What request is made of Tolkien after he finishes Farmer Giles of Ham?
(a) That he adds to the ending to make it more complete.
(b) That he write more stories to make a large volume.
(c) That he remove two of the characters.
(d) That he edit some of the book to make it shorter.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the wearer of the One Ring in Tolkien's story?
2. In what year are the earliest letters in the book written?
3. Why does Tolkien's new publisher need a summary of the books?
4. Whom does Tolkien originally ask to draw maps for the imaginary world of The Lord of the Rings?
5. As mentioned by Tolkien in Letter #131, when do the Hobbits first come into being?
Short Essay Questions
1. What stipulation does Tolkien have in working with Allen & Unwin on publishing The Lord of the Rings trilogy, and what request do they have for him?
2. What change does Tolkien consider and eventually make to The Hobbit in Letters #128 and #129, and why is it significant?
3. How can the One Ring of Power be destroyed?
4. What is the similarity between the Elves and the Machine, and what is the main difference between both sides, according to Tolkien in Letter #131?
5. What inspires a schoolboy to write to Tolkien about The Hobbit in Letter #114 and what advice does Tolkien give in return?
6. How does Tolkien characterize Sauron in Letter #131?
7. What are galleys in literature and how does Tolkien respond to the editing process of The Lord of the Rings?
8. What is the One Ring of Power in Tolkien's stories?
9. What happened when the Elves and the Dwarves became friends in the past of Tolkien's fictional realm?
10. What is the power of the pen and how does Tolkien explain it?
This section contains 861 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)