|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How often does Tolkien write to Edith during the time they are separated?
(a) Once a week.
(b) Once a day.
(d) Once a month.
2. What do the letters selected for "To Unwin about The Hobbit" have in common?
(a) They refer to Tolkien's most well known works.
(b) They refer to Tolkien's least known works.
(c) They are all less than one-page long.
(d) They are all over five pages.
3. What has Tolkien found in his manuscript when he writes Letter #69?
(a) Too many metaphors.
(d) Too many analogies.
4. How much time has passed between Tolkien's initial idea for drawing maps and when it becomes an issue with a publisher?
(a) Over a decade.
(b) A decade.
(c) Eight years.
(d) Four years.
5. What does Tolkien offer to the schoolboy in Letter #114?
(a) Monogrammed stationery.
(b) Early copies of documents.
(c) An encyclopedia set.
(d) The first draft of a never released manuscript.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the skill or ability of the Elves'?
2. Which of the following is the main focal point of The Silmarillion?
3. What does Tolkien explain he uses in developing his fascination with imaginary worlds?
4. What does Tolkien suggest is the greatest resource for the information the schoolboy is seeking in Letter #114?
5. In what year are the earliest letters in the book written?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the power of the pen and how does Tolkien explain it?
2. What change does Tolkien consider and eventually make to The Hobbit in Letters #128 and #129, and why is it significant?
3. How does Tolkien describe the development of his penchant for stories in Letter #130?
4. What happens between Collins and Tolkien during the publishing of The Lord of the Rings?
5. What are the Stages of History that Tolkien describes in Letter #131?
6. What happens between Tolkien and Edith leading up to their engagement?
7. What observation does Tolkien make about his Middle English class to Mrs. E.M. Wright in Letter #6?
8. How does Rayner Unwin first contact Tolkien, leading to his involvement with publishing The Lord of the Rings?
9. What stipulation does Tolkien have in working with Allen & Unwin on publishing The Lord of the Rings trilogy, and what request do they have for him?
10. What are galleys in literature and how does Tolkien respond to the editing process of The Lord of the Rings?
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)