|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much of The Silmarillion takes place before the arrival of human beings?
(a) Very little of it.
(b) All of it.
(c) None of it.
(d) The majority of it.
2. What happens when Tolkien first decides to approach the publishers about the delay of the books?
(a) The publishers do not respond.
(b) The publishers take even more time.
(c) The publishers decline to publish them.
(d) The publishers provide a list of excuses.
3. How does Tolkien consider the term "Elves"?
(a) He thinks it is undefined.
(b) He thinks it is misleading.
(c) He thinks it is amusing.
(d) He thinks it is senseless.
4. As mentioned in Letter #66, why does Tolkien think that he will have to move some of the sections of his book?
(a) They do not fit in with the storyline.
(b) They are too long.
(c) They are too short.
(d) They do not have the same writing style as the other sections.
5. In what year does Tolkien become disturbed by the length of time to publish The Lord of the Rings trilogy and The Silmarillion?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the conversation about accents take place that Tolkien discusses in his letter to Christopher?
2. Who is the initial publisher for Tolkien's books when "Publisher Drama" begins?
3. Who provides input , feedback, and advice for the letters in the book?
4. Who leads The Enemy in Tolkien's stories?
5. As mentioned by Tolkien in Letter #131, when do the Hobbits first come into being?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Tolkien traveling with in the story he recounts for Christopher in a letter from April 3, 1944, and what is the point of the story?
2. What change does Tolkien consider and eventually make to The Hobbit in Letters #128 and #129, and why is it significant?
3. What is the similarity between the Elves and the Machine, and what is the main difference between both sides, according to Tolkien in Letter #131?
4. What are galleys in literature and how does Tolkien respond to the editing process of The Lord of the Rings?
5. How is Tolkien's proficiency in writing displayed in the story he tells to Christopher in his April 3, 1944, letter?
6. What observation does Tolkien make about his Middle English class to Mrs. E.M. Wright in Letter #6?
7. How does Tolkien describe the development of his penchant for stories in Letter #130?
8. How was the collection of J.R.R. Tolkien's letters compiled and who helped with the process?
9. What stipulation does Tolkien have in working with Allen & Unwin on publishing The Lord of the Rings trilogy, and what request do they have for him?
10. What happens between Tolkien and Edith leading up to their engagement?
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)