|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the letters selected for "To Unwin about The Hobbit" have in common?
(a) They refer to Tolkien's most well known works.
(b) They refer to Tolkien's least known works.
(c) They are all over five pages.
(d) They are all less than one-page long.
2. What is the skill or ability of the Elves'?
3. How many times do the Elves and the Dwarves share an enduring friendship throughout their history?
(a) Four times.
(c) Three times.
4. What has Tolkien found in his manuscript when he writes Letter #69?
(a) Too many metaphors.
(d) Too many analogies.
5. What is the result of a friendship between the Elves and the Dwarves, as Tolkien explains in Letter #131?
(a) A decline of the arts.
(b) An improvement in education.
(c) An improvement in the arts.
(d) A decline of education.
Short Answer Questions
1. What issue does a woman's presence raise for Tolkien in "Publisher Drama"?
2. What will the alteration mean for the book Tolkien is writing in Letter #128?
3. How many Rings of Power does the One Ring control?
4. In Letter #131, what reason does Tolkien reveal for creating his alternate world of fiction?
5. How does Tolkien describe the writing of The Hobbit to Christopher?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the similarity between the Elves and the Machine, and what is the main difference between both sides, according to Tolkien in Letter #131?
2. What are galleys in literature and how does Tolkien respond to the editing process of The Lord of the Rings?
3. How can the One Ring of Power be destroyed?
4. What is unique about Tolkien's poem, "Errantry"?
5. What psychological dilemma does Tolkien discuss about the Elves in Letter #131?
6. What observation does Tolkien make about his Middle English class to Mrs. E.M. Wright in Letter #6?
7. How does Tolkien design Farmer Giles of Ham and what does he think about it being considered a children's story?
8. How are the letters for "To Unwin about The Hobbit" chosen and what information is left out of them?
9. What clarification does Tolkien make about the word, "Elves"?
10. How does Tolkien refer to The Hobbit in his early letters to Christopher?
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)