|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Letter #27, which of the following does Tolkien say that he will leave the drawing of to someone who can draw ?
2. What point does Tolkien make about his book, The Silmarillion, in Letter #131?
(a) It is not about humans.
(b) It is about humans.
(c) The themes of the book are intentionally complex.
(d) The themes of the book are intentionally simple.
3. What will the alteration mean for the book Tolkien is writing in Letter #128?
(a) It will be designed not to have a sequel.
(b) It will be designed to have a sequel.
(c) It will be meant to be read by children.
(d) It will be meant not to be read by children.
4. As mentioned by Tolkien in Letter #131, when do the Hobbits first come into being?
(a) The Third Age.
(b) The Fourth Age.
(c) The Second Age.
(d) The First Age.
5. Where does the friendship between the Elves and the Dwarves that Tolkien refers to in Letter #131 take place?
(b) Fangorn Forest.
(c) The Misty Mountains.
(d) The Shire.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tolkien describe the writing of The Hobbit to Christopher?
2. Which one of Tolkien's books explains the history of Elvenkind?
3. When does the history of the Elves begin?
4. How does Tolkien describe the domestic problems he is having in a letter before he moves to a small house?
5. According to Tolkien in Letter #131, what is the source of magic in his stories?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tolkien write about being given the position of chairing the English department at the university?
2. What request does Allen & Unwin have about Farmer Giles of Ham and how does Tolkien respond?
3. What message does Tolkien hear when he is becoming impatient about the publishing of The Lord of the Rings?
4. How is Tolkien's proficiency in writing displayed in the story he tells to Christopher in his April 3, 1944, letter?
5. What psychological dilemma does Tolkien discuss about the Elves in Letter #131?
6. How can the One Ring of Power be destroyed?
7. What change does Tolkien consider and eventually make to The Hobbit in Letters #128 and #129, and why is it significant?
8. In what way does Tolkien realistically depict his job as a professor in 1952?
9. How does Tolkien characterize Sauron in Letter #131?
10. What is the similarity between the Elves and the Machine, and what is the main difference between both sides, according to Tolkien in Letter #131?
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)