|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what month does Tolkien write to Christopher about the writing process for The Hobbit?
2. Which poem does Rayner Unwin initially write to Tolkien about?
(c) "The Princess Ni."
(d) "Once Upon a Time."
3. Which school is Tolkien attending when the first letter begins?
4. Where is the man whose accent Tolkien refers to as "English after being wiped over with a dirty sponge" from?
(b) New England.
(d) New Hampshire.
5. How long does Tolkien indicate he has been working with the imaginary realms in Letter #130?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the initial publisher for Tolkien's books when "Publisher Drama" begins?
2. What does Tolkien explain he uses in developing his fascination with imaginary worlds?
3. How does Tolkien originally respond to Unwin's request about the poem?
4. As mentioned by Tolkien in Letter #131, when do the Hobbits first come into being?
5. In Letter, #6, to what college subject does Tolkien refer?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are galleys in literature and how does Tolkien respond to the editing process of The Lord of the Rings?
2. What clarification does Tolkien make about the word, "Elves"?
3. What happened when the Elves and the Dwarves became friends in the past of Tolkien's fictional realm?
4. How can the One Ring of Power be destroyed?
5. How old is Tolkien when the earliest letters begin and what is his situation?
6. What request does Allen & Unwin have about Farmer Giles of Ham and how does Tolkien respond?
7. How does Tolkien explain the role of humans and mankind in his stories in Letter #131?
8. What message does Tolkien hear when he is becoming impatient about the publishing of The Lord of the Rings?
9. What observation does Tolkien make about his Middle English class to Mrs. E.M. Wright in Letter #6?
10. How does Tolkien describe the development of his penchant for stories in Letter #130?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)