|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the information provided in Letter #69, how often does Tolkien write to Christopher?
(b) It is not clear.
2. How does Tolkien design the book, <i>Farmer Giles of Ham</i>?
(a) To be read in one sitting.
(b) Not to be read aloud.
(c) To be read aloud.
(d) To be read as several separate stories.
3. Which character does Tolkien indicate has gained the most power by wearing the Ring?
(c) The Witch-king of Angmar.
4. Who provides input , feedback, and advice for the letters in the book?
(a) Edith Bratt.
(b) Humphrey Carpenter.
(c) J.R.R. Tolkien.
(d) Christopher Tolkien.
5. After the Hobbits originate, where does the Dark Power that Tolkien describes in Letter #131 exist?
Short Answer Questions
1. What German word meaning "essential" does Tolkien refer to in Letter #6, stating that it is actually viewed as an English word?
2. Under what conditions is Tolkien asked to chair an English department in "The Professor"?
3. What will the alteration mean for the book Tolkien is writing in Letter #128?
4. In what month does Tolkien write to Christopher about the writing process for <i>The Hobbit</i>?
5. What issue does a woman's presence raise for Tolkien in "Publisher Drama"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tolkien disprove the misconception that his success was made overnight in Letter #159?
2. How does Tolkien describe the development of his penchant for stories in Letter #130?
3. What is unique about Tolkien's poem, "Errantry"?
4. Why is Tolkien honored with a degree from the Belgians and how do they refer to him?
5. Which literary device does Tolkien not appreciate and how does he view the intended audience of fairy tales?
6. How does Allen & Unwin respond to Tolkien's opinion of the cover images?
7. In what way does Tolkien think that his story will help both existing parents and future parents?
8. Who is Tolkien writing to when he predicts what would happen if Gandalf had worn the Ring, and what is his prediction?
9. What clarification does Tolkien make about the word, "Elves"?
10. What is the One Ring of Power in Tolkien's stories?
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)