|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Tolkien respond to the idea of chairing the English department?
(a) He is insulted.
(b) He is very appreciative.
(c) He thinks it is terrible.
(d) He does not entirely understand why he was selected.
2. How does Tolkien originally respond to Unwin's request about the poem?
(a) He is confused by it.
(b) He is indifferent.
(c) He is unaware of it.
(d) He is grateful.
3. What happens when Tolkien first decides to approach the publishers about the delay of the books?
(a) The publishers provide a list of excuses.
(b) The publishers take even more time.
(c) The publishers decline to publish them.
(d) The publishers do not respond.
4. Under what conditions is Tolkien asked to chair an English department in "The Professor"?
5. As stated in the letters included in "Publisher Drama," how many times does Tolkien have the chance to use the poetic invention he makes?
(a) Three times.
(b) Four times.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the man whose accent Tolkien refers to as "English after being wiped over with a dirty sponge" from?
2. What subject is a student's thesis about that Tolkien expects to find boring?
3. According to Tolkien in Letter #131, what is the source of magic in his stories?
4. How many other men are traveling with Tolkien during his conversation about accents?
5. In Letter #27, which of the following does Tolkien say that he will leave the drawing of to someone who can draw ?
Short Essay Questions
1. What inspires a schoolboy to write to Tolkien about The Hobbit in Letter #114 and what advice does Tolkien give in return?
2. What psychological dilemma does Tolkien discuss about the Elves in Letter #131?
3. What is the power of the pen and how does Tolkien explain it?
4. What are the Stages of History that Tolkien describes in Letter #131?
5. What observation does Tolkien make about his Middle English class to Mrs. E.M. Wright in Letter #6?
6. How does Tolkien write about being given the position of chairing the English department at the university?
7. In what way does Tolkien realistically depict his job as a professor in 1952?
8. How can the One Ring of Power be destroyed?
9. What is the similarity between the Elves and the Machine, and what is the main difference between both sides, according to Tolkien in Letter #131?
10. How are the letters for "To Unwin about The Hobbit" chosen and what information is left out of them?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)