|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many times do the Elves and the Dwarves share an enduring friendship throughout their history?
(c) Three times.
(d) Four times.
2. Based on the information in the Introduction, how many chapters does the book have?
3. What point does Tolkien make about his book, The Silmarillion, in Letter #131?
(a) The themes of the book are intentionally simple.
(b) The themes of the book are intentionally complex.
(c) It is not about humans.
(d) It is about humans.
4. What is causing the culture of the Elves to suffer?
(a) The psychological effects of their immortality.
(b) The limited education.
(c) The lack of resources.
(d) The abundance of different cultures.
5. Which one of the following best describes Tolkien's recount of the history surrounding his poem in "Publisher Drama"?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tolkien think children will respond to Farmer Giles of Ham?
2. What does Tolkien suggest is the greatest resource for the information the schoolboy is seeking in Letter #114?
3. How does Tolkien respond to the idea of chairing the English department?
4. What is Allen & Unwin?
5. During the time these letters are written, what term do the British typically use to label Americans?
Short Essay Questions
1. What change does Tolkien consider and eventually make to The Hobbit in Letters #128 and #129, and why is it significant?
2. How does Tolkien refer to The Hobbit in his early letters to Christopher?
3. What happens between Tolkien and Edith leading up to their engagement?
4. What are the Stages of History that Tolkien describes in Letter #131?
5. What are galleys in literature and how does Tolkien respond to the editing process of The Lord of the Rings?
6. What happens between Collins and Tolkien during the publishing of The Lord of the Rings?
7. How does Tolkien design Farmer Giles of Ham and what does he think about it being considered a children's story?
8. What stipulation does Tolkien have in working with Allen & Unwin on publishing The Lord of the Rings trilogy, and what request do they have for him?
9. How does Tolkien write about being given the position of chairing the English department at the university?
10. In what way does Tolkien realistically depict his job as a professor in 1952?
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)