|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As mentioned by Tolkien in Letter #131, when do the Hobbits first come into being?
(a) The First Age.
(b) The Third Age.
(c) The Fourth Age.
(d) The Second Age.
2. Where does the conversation about accents take place that Tolkien discusses in his letter to Christopher?
(a) On a plane.
(b) In a car.
(c) In a boat.
(d) On a train.
3. How many times do the Elves and the Dwarves share an enduring friendship throughout their history?
(b) Three times.
(d) Four times.
4. How many improvements does Tolkien indicate he has made to the manuscript for Farmer Giles of Ham?
(b) Only a few.
(c) Too many to count.
5. Under what conditions is Tolkien asked to chair an English department in "The Professor"?
Short Answer Questions
1. How long is the summary that Tolkien's new publisher asks him to write at the end of "Publisher Drama"?
2. As mentioned in Letter #66, why does Tolkien think that he will have to move some of the sections of his book?
3. What does Tolkien offer to the schoolboy in Letter #114?
4. Who provides the main order of the letters included in the book?
5. What do the letters selected for "To Unwin about The Hobbit" have in common?
Short Essay Questions
1. What stipulation does Tolkien have in working with Allen & Unwin on publishing The Lord of the Rings trilogy, and what request do they have for him?
2. How are the letters for "To Unwin about The Hobbit" chosen and what information is left out of them?
3. How was the collection of J.R.R. Tolkien's letters compiled and who helped with the process?
4. What is the similarity between the Elves and the Machine, and what is the main difference between both sides, according to Tolkien in Letter #131?
5. What is the power of the pen and how does Tolkien explain it?
6. What clarification does Tolkien make about the word, "Elves"?
7. How does Tolkien describe the development of his penchant for stories in Letter #130?
8. How does Tolkien refer to The Hobbit in his early letters to Christopher?
9. How is Tolkien's proficiency in writing displayed in the story he tells to Christopher in his April 3, 1944, letter?
10. In what way does Tolkien realistically depict his job as a professor in 1952?
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)