|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the only thing capable of destroying the Ring in Tolkien's story?
(a) A special type of fire.
(b) The power generated from another ring.
(c) A certain magical spell.
(d) The water from a specific river.
2. How long is the summary that Tolkien's new publisher asks him to write at the end of "Publisher Drama"?
(a) One-hundred words.
(b) Fifty words.
(c) One-hundred-and-fifty words.
(d) Two-hundred words.
3. What German word meaning "essential" does Tolkien refer to in Letter #6, stating that it is actually viewed as an English word?
4. Which one of Tolkien's books explains the history of Elvenkind?
(a) The Hobbit.
(b) The Lord of the Rings.
(c) The Silmarillion.
(d) The Legend of Sigurd and Gudrún.
5. Which poem does Rayner Unwin initially write to Tolkien about?
(c) "Once Upon a Time."
(d) "The Princess Ni."
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the letters selected for "To Unwin about The Hobbit" have in common?
2. According to Tolkien in Letter #131, what is the source of magic in his stories?
3. What words does Tolkien use to replace "Elves"?
4. What will the alteration mean for the book Tolkien is writing in Letter #128?
5. In Letter #27, which of the following does Tolkien say that he will leave the drawing of to someone who can draw ?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens between Tolkien and Edith leading up to their engagement?
2. What observation does Tolkien make about his Middle English class to Mrs. E.M. Wright in Letter #6?
3. How are the letters for "To Unwin about The Hobbit" chosen and what information is left out of them?
4. What happened when the Elves and the Dwarves became friends in the past of Tolkien's fictional realm?
5. What inspires a schoolboy to write to Tolkien about The Hobbit in Letter #114 and what advice does Tolkien give in return?
6. What request does Allen & Unwin have about Farmer Giles of Ham and how does Tolkien respond?
7. How was the collection of J.R.R. Tolkien's letters compiled and who helped with the process?
8. What stipulation does Tolkien have in working with Allen & Unwin on publishing The Lord of the Rings trilogy, and what request do they have for him?
9. What are the Stages of History that Tolkien describes in Letter #131?
10. How is Tolkien's proficiency in writing displayed in the story he tells to Christopher in his April 3, 1944, letter?
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)