|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Tolkien respond to the idea of chairing the English department?
(a) He is very appreciative.
(b) He is insulted.
(c) He does not entirely understand why he was selected.
(d) He thinks it is terrible.
2. In general, why do Tolkien and C.S. Lewis meet several times?
(a) To discuss sports and politics.
(b) To edit each other's manuscripts.
(c) To give each other literary criticism.
(d) To play games.
3. What does Tolkien focus on when his books make less than anticipated progress with publishers?
(a) His teaching job.
(b) Writing other books.
(c) His family.
(d) Writing to the publishers.
4. How does Tolkien describe the writing of The Hobbit to Christopher?
(b) Neither easy nor difficult.
(c) Both easy and difficult.
5. As stated in the letters included in "Publisher Drama," how many times does Tolkien have the chance to use the poetic invention he makes?
(c) Three times.
(d) Four times.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the skill or ability of the Elves'?
2. Which character does Tolkien indicate has gained the most power by wearing the Ring?
3. What is causing the culture of the Elves to suffer?
4. How does Tolkien describe the change that he has made to his manuscript in Letter #129?
5. How many improvements does Tolkien indicate he has made to the manuscript for Farmer Giles of Ham?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way does Tolkien realistically depict his job as a professor in 1952?
2. What inspires a schoolboy to write to Tolkien about The Hobbit in Letter #114 and what advice does Tolkien give in return?
3. What psychological dilemma does Tolkien discuss about the Elves in Letter #131?
4. What request does Allen & Unwin have about Farmer Giles of Ham and how does Tolkien respond?
5. What happened when the Elves and the Dwarves became friends in the past of Tolkien's fictional realm?
6. In Letters #66 and #69, how is Tolkien's relationship with Christopher defined?
7. How old is Tolkien when the earliest letters begin and what is his situation?
8. How does Rayner Unwin first contact Tolkien, leading to his involvement with publishing The Lord of the Rings?
9. What is the similarity between the Elves and the Machine, and what is the main difference between both sides, according to Tolkien in Letter #131?
10. How does Tolkien explain the role of humans and mankind in his stories in Letter #131?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)