|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What German word meaning "essential" does Tolkien refer to in Letter #6, stating that it is actually viewed as an English word?
2. What is the result of a friendship between the Elves and the Dwarves, as Tolkien explains in Letter #131?
(a) A decline of education.
(b) An improvement in education.
(c) A decline of the arts.
(d) An improvement in the arts.
3. Who does Tolkien express gratitude to in Letter #6?
(a) Mrs. E.M. Wright.
(b) Mrs. C.S. White.
(c) Mrs. C.S. Wright.
(d) Mrs. E.M. White.
4. Who provides input , feedback, and advice for the letters in the book?
(a) J.R.R. Tolkien.
(b) Christopher Tolkien.
(c) Edith Bratt.
(d) Humphrey Carpenter.
5. How long is Tolkien separated from Edith, making his affection for her grow stronger?
(a) Three years.
(b) Four years.
(c) Two years.
(d) One year.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the term "galleys" used to refer to in "The Professor"?
2. Which one of the following best describes Tolkien's recount of the history surrounding his poem in "Publisher Drama"?
3. When does the history of the Elves begin?
4. In Letter #27, which of the following does Tolkien say that he will leave the drawing of to someone who can draw ?
5. How is the Machine described in Letter #131?
Short Essay Questions
1. How can the One Ring of Power be destroyed?
2. How does Rayner Unwin first contact Tolkien, leading to his involvement with publishing The Lord of the Rings?
3. What is the One Ring of Power in Tolkien's stories?
4. What psychological dilemma does Tolkien discuss about the Elves in Letter #131?
5. What are galleys in literature and how does Tolkien respond to the editing process of The Lord of the Rings?
6. How are the letters for "To Unwin about The Hobbit" chosen and what information is left out of them?
7. How does Tolkien refer to The Hobbit in his early letters to Christopher?
8. What request does Allen & Unwin have about Farmer Giles of Ham and how does Tolkien respond?
9. What stipulation does Tolkien have in working with Allen & Unwin on publishing The Lord of the Rings trilogy, and what request do they have for him?
10. How old is Tolkien when the earliest letters begin and what is his situation?
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)