|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the Hobbits originate, where does the Dark Power that Tolkien describes in Letter #131 exist?
2. How does Tolkien describe the alteration he is contemplating making to his manuscript in Letter #128?
3. What happens to the wearer of the One Ring in Tolkien's story?
(a) They are given immortality.
(b) They are given mind powers.
(c) They are transformed into a Hobbit.
(d) They are transformed into an Elf.
4. What is Allen & Unwin?
(a) A law firm.
(b) A bank.
(c) A printing service.
(d) A publishing house.
5. Who does Tolkien say are the only people interested in reading his literary works in Letter #115?
(a) Only his wife and son.
(b) Only C.S. Lewis.
(c) C.S. Lewis and his son.
(d) C.S. Lewis and his wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. As mentioned in Letter #66, why does Tolkien think that he will have to move some of the sections of his book?
2. Where does the friendship between the Elves and the Dwarves that Tolkien refers to in Letter #131 take place?
3. What will the alteration mean for the book Tolkien is writing in Letter #128?
4. How many academic articles is Tolkien a writer for, as referred to in "The Professor"?
5. Which one of the following does Tolkien vigorously discuss in his letters?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are galleys in literature and how does Tolkien respond to the editing process of The Lord of the Rings?
2. In what way does Tolkien realistically depict his job as a professor in 1952?
3. What is the power of the pen and how does Tolkien explain it?
4. What happened when the Elves and the Dwarves became friends in the past of Tolkien's fictional realm?
5. How does Tolkien describe the development of his penchant for stories in Letter #130?
6. How are the letters for "To Unwin about The Hobbit" chosen and what information is left out of them?
7. What stipulation does Tolkien have in working with Allen & Unwin on publishing The Lord of the Rings trilogy, and what request do they have for him?
8. Who is Tolkien traveling with in the story he recounts for Christopher in a letter from April 3, 1944, and what is the point of the story?
9. What message does Tolkien hear when he is becoming impatient about the publishing of The Lord of the Rings?
10. How does Tolkien write about being given the position of chairing the English department at the university?
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)