|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Tolkien describe the writing of The Hobbit to Christopher?
(a) Neither easy nor difficult.
(b) Both easy and difficult.
2. In what year are the earliest letters in the book written?
3. How many other men are traveling with Tolkien during his conversation about accents?
4. What two factors contribute to the main part of Letter #66 to Christopher?
(a) Fiction and the writing of an imaginary world.
(b) Real life and the writing of an imaginary world.
(c) Fiction and the idea of living in an imaginary world.
(d) Real life and the idea of living in an imaginary world.
5. How many improvements does Tolkien indicate he has made to the manuscript for Farmer Giles of Ham?
(b) Too many to count.
(c) Only a few.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which one of the following does Tolkien vigorously discuss in his letters?
2. Why does Tolkien's new publisher need a summary of the books?
3. How many times do the Elves and the Dwarves share an enduring friendship throughout their history?
4. As mentioned in Letter #66, why does Tolkien think that he will have to move some of the sections of his book?
5. How many academic articles is Tolkien a writer for, as referred to in "The Professor"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Tolkien traveling with in the story he recounts for Christopher in a letter from April 3, 1944, and what is the point of the story?
2. What are the Stages of History that Tolkien describes in Letter #131?
3. What request does Allen & Unwin have about Farmer Giles of Ham and how does Tolkien respond?
4. How does Tolkien design Farmer Giles of Ham and what does he think about it being considered a children's story?
5. What happens between Collins and Tolkien during the publishing of The Lord of the Rings?
6. What psychological dilemma does Tolkien discuss about the Elves in Letter #131?
7. How are the letters for "To Unwin about The Hobbit" chosen and what information is left out of them?
8. How was the collection of J.R.R. Tolkien's letters compiled and who helped with the process?
9. What change does Tolkien consider and eventually make to The Hobbit in Letters #128 and #129, and why is it significant?
10. What happens between Tolkien and Edith leading up to their engagement?
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)