|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which new names are among the recipients of the 1960s letters included in "Later Years"?
(a) Professor Forster and Mrs. Drijver.
(b) Professor Forster and Hugo Dyson.
(c) Professor Forster, Mrs. Drijver, and Hugo Dyson.
(d) Mrs. Drijver and Hugo Dyson.
2. How does Tolkien sign Letter #165?
(a) John Tolkien.
(b) J.R.R. Tolkien.
(c) John Ronald Tolkien.
(d) John Ronald Reuel Tolkien.
3. How many Elves does Tolkien think might be able to manage the Ring of Power in Letter #246?
4. What does Tolkien announce to Christopher Bretherton in Letter #257?
(a) He is only writing poetry now.
(b) He is a scientific philologist.
(c) He is retiring from teaching.
(d) He is retiring from writing.
5. What book has Tolkien recently completed when he writes a letter to W.H. Auden that is included in "To Anne Barrett of Houghton Mifflin Co."?
(a) The Return of the King.
(b) The Silmarillion.
(c) Unfinished Tales.
(d) The Lord of the Rings.
6. As Tolkien explains in Letter #246, what is the main difference between Gandalf and Sauron?
(a) Sauron has much less wisdom.
(b) Gandalf succumbs to the Enemy.
(c) Gandalf never succumbs to the Enemy.
(d) Sauron has much more wisdom.
7. What is the first topic discussed in Tolkien's letter to Unwin about C.S. Lewis in "Now the Books Themselves"?
(a) C.S. Lewis' opinions.
(b) C.S. Lewis' books.
(c) The books' sales.
(d) The books' reviews.
8. How does Tolkien respond to the publisher's actions with the cover designs in "Now the Books Themselves"?
(a) He is upset.
(b) He is unresponsive.
(c) He is thankful.
(d) He is confused.
9. Why does Tolkien think his new position at the university will be better received in Letter #182?
(a) Because of his fame as an author.
(b) Because of the reputation of the person that preceded him.
(c) Because of the anticipation of the new book he is writing.
(d) Because of the amount of time he has worked at the university.
10. How long is Tolkien's Letter #256 to Colin Bailey?
(a) Two pages.
(b) One paragraph.
(c) One page.
(d) Two paragraphs.
11. Who are most of the recipients of "The Final Letters"?
(a) Tolkien's relatives.
(b) Tolkien's students.
(c) Tolkien's friends.
(d) Tolkien's publishers.
12. What type of good news does Tolkien preview in Letter #185?
(a) Financial and personal.
(d) Neither financial nor personal.
13. Based on Tolkien's letter to W.H. Auden, who is responsible for shaping an individual's behavior?
(a) The individual and people around them.
(b) People around the individual.
(c) The individual.
(d) Neither the individual nor people around them.
14. In Tolkien as "The Old Man," which dictionary does Tolkien reveal he worked for earlier in his life?
(c) American Heritage.
15. Who are the familiar recipients of the letters of the 1960s that are included in "Later Years"?
(a) Christopher and Rayner Unwin.
(b) Christopher and Edith Unwin.
(c) Edith and Rayner Unwin.
(d) Christopher, Edith, and Rayner Unwin.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tolkien think drives humans towards certain behaviors?
2. As mentioned in a letter to Unwin, how had Tolkien previously responded to the warning about his friendship with C.S. Lewis?
3. Which literary technique does Tolkien not appreciate?
4. According to the information in Letter #182, what position does Tolkien now have?
5. How long is Letter #182?
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)