|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Tolkien think his writing about the joys of fatherhood will be interpreted by people who are not yet parents?
(a) It will not be very helpful.
(b) They will be surprised.
(c) They will not be surprised.
(d) It will be very helpful.
2. In Tolkien as "The Old Man," which dictionary does Tolkien reveal he worked for earlier in his life?
(d) American Heritage.
3. Why does C.S. Lewis use the name Numenor in one of his stories?
(a) As a way to generate interest in the story.
(b) As an attempt to rewrite The Lord of the Rings.
(c) As a reference to Tolkien.
(d) As an attempt to write a sequel to The Lord of the Rings.
4. According to Tolkien in Letter #246, what would have happened if Gandalf wore the ring?
(a) He would have been better than Sauron.
(b) He would have been worse than Sauron.
(c) Tolkien is not sure.
(d) He would have been the same as Sauron.
5. Who are most of the recipients of "The Final Letters"?
(a) Tolkien's friends.
(b) Tolkien's publishers.
(c) Tolkien's students.
(d) Tolkien's relatives.
6. Why does Tolkien think his new position at the university will be better received in Letter #182?
(a) Because of the anticipation of the new book he is writing.
(b) Because of the amount of time he has worked at the university.
(c) Because of the reputation of the person that preceded him.
(d) Because of his fame as an author.
7. Which literary technique does Tolkien not appreciate?
8. What causes Frodo to have a breakdown in The Lord of the Rings?
(c) Evil influences.
9. What two months are Letters #146, 147, and 148 written in?
(a) February and March.
(b) August and September.
(c) November and December.
(d) June and July.
10. In what year does Tolkien write about a piece of fan mail that boosts his spirits in "The Final Letters"?
11. How does Tolkien think his writing about the joys of fatherhood will be interpreted by people who are parents?
(a) It will be very helpful.
(b) They will not be surprised.
(c) It will not be very helpful.
(d) They will be surprised.
12. Which one of the following is a topic of discussion in Letter #150 to Christopher?
(a) Maps for the books.
(b) The number of books sold.
(c) The number of books printed.
(d) Advertisements for the books.
13. According to the information in Letter #182, what position does Tolkien now have?
(a) Senior Professor.
(b) Associate Professor.
(c) Department Coordinator.
(d) Department Chair.
14. What is Tolkien's age when he writes Letter #253?
(a) He is in his sixties.
(b) He is in his nineties.
(c) He is in his seventies.
(d) He is in his eighties.
15. What does Tolkien think drives humans towards certain behaviors?
(a) They are driven exclusively by circumstances.
(b) They are driven by circumstances as well as other things.
(c) They are driven by the people around them.
(d) They are driven by their education and culture.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom is Letter #159 addressed?
2. How heroic does Tolkien think Frodo is in Letter #246?
3. Which two characters have a dynamic that Tolkien thinks has a great effect on the events in The Lord of Rings?
4. According to his letters, how does Tolkien consider his experience with the publisher about the cover designs?
5. What year does Tolkien write to his publisher with his thoughts on the original cover designs?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)