|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year is Letter #253 written?
2. When does Tolkien write to Unwin about C.S. Lewis in "Now the Books Themselves"?
(a) September 9.
(b) November 19.
(c) November 9.
(d) September 19.
3. Why does C.S. Lewis use the name Numenor in one of his stories?
(a) As an attempt to write a sequel to The Lord of the Rings.
(b) As a reference to Tolkien.
(c) As a way to generate interest in the story.
(d) As an attempt to rewrite The Lord of the Rings.
4. According to Letter #257, why did Tolkien find it difficult to become close friends with Charles Williams, a mutual friend of C.S. Lewis?
(a) Williams was not a writer.
(b) A polar difference in literary appreciation.
(c) A polar difference in mentalities.
(d) Williams was not a fan of Fairy Tales.
5. What causes Frodo to have a breakdown in The Lord of the Rings?
(b) Evil influences.
6. Who are the familiar recipients of the letters of the 1960s that are included in "Later Years"?
(a) Christopher, Edith, and Rayner Unwin.
(b) Christopher and Rayner Unwin.
(c) Edith and Rayner Unwin.
(d) Christopher and Edith Unwin.
7. What university did C.S. Lewis have a Chair position?
(a) University of Cambridge.
(b) University of Manchester.
(c) University of Edinburgh.
(d) University of Oxford.
8. As displayed in Letter #257, what is the connection between Tolkien's childhood and his later years?
(a) His fascination with Elves.
(b) His education.
(c) His enjoyment of stories.
(d) His writing.
9. Which novel was being made into a paperback, prompting the debate over spelling in Letter #236?
(a) Farmer Giles of Ham.
(b) The Silmarillion.
(c) The Hobbit.
(d) The Lord of the Rings.
10. As Tolkien explains in Letter #246, what is the main difference between Gandalf and Sauron?
(a) Sauron has much more wisdom.
(b) Sauron has much less wisdom.
(c) Gandalf never succumbs to the Enemy.
(d) Gandalf succumbs to the Enemy.
11. Why does a woman think that a used book she purchased had been previously owned by Tolkien?
(a) Handwritten scripts in the book.
(b) The owner of the used book store informs her that Tolkien had owned it.
(c) His signature on the last page of the book.
(d) A letter of his folded in between two pages of the book.
12. What year does Tolkien write a long letter to Jane Neave that is included in "Later Years"?
13. What is Tolkien finishing while writing the letters included in "The Lord of the Rings Are Published"?
(a) The collection of poems that coincides with the trilogy.
(b) The manuscript for the prequel to the trilogy.
(c) The poem that coincides with the trilogy.
(d) The manuscript for the final story of the trilogy.
14. What aspect of fiction is detailed in Letter #199?
15. How does Tolkien describe Gandalf in Letter #246?
Short Answer Questions
1. How long is Tolkien's Letter #256 to Colin Bailey?
2. Which new names are among the recipients of the 1960s letters included in "Later Years"?
3. Besides his complaint in "Later Years", how many other times in the book so far has Tolkien complained about the spelling changes made by the editorial staff of a publishing company?
4. How long does it take Tolkien to get his story about The Lord of the Rings published, according to Letter #159?
5. What feeling does Tolkien have about knowing the entire story of The Lord of the Rings?
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)