|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Tolkien as "The Old Man," which dictionary does Tolkien reveal he worked for earlier in his life?
(d) American Heritage.
2. When is Letter #185 written to Christopher and Faith Tolkien?
(a) March 19.
(b) July 9.
(c) June 9.
(d) April 19.
3. How does Tolkien describe Gandalf in Letter #246?
4. What year does Tolkien write a long letter to Jane Neave that is included in "Later Years"?
5. What year does Tolkien write to his publisher with his thoughts on the original cover designs?
6. What is Tolkien finishing while writing the letters included in "<i>The Lord of the Rings</i> Are Published"?
(a) The manuscript for the final story of the trilogy.
(b) The manuscript for the prequel to the trilogy.
(c) The collection of poems that coincides with the trilogy.
(d) The poem that coincides with the trilogy.
7. How many Elves does Tolkien think might be able to manage the Ring of Power in Letter #246?
8. As explained in Letter #256, how long does Tolkien's current book take place after Mordor has collapsed?
(a) Fifty years.
(b) One hundred years.
(c) One hundred and fifty years.
(d) Two hundred years.
9. Besides his complaint in "Later Years", how many other times in the book so far has Tolkien complained about the spelling changes made by the editorial staff of a publishing company?
(a) Three times.
10. Why does C.S. Lewis use the name Numenor in one of his stories?
(a) As a way to generate interest in the story.
(b) As an attempt to rewrite <i>The Lord of the Rings</i>.
(c) As a reference to Tolkien.
(d) As an attempt to write a sequel to <i>The Lord of the Rings</i>.
11. How does Tolkien describe his work for a dictionary?
(a) Neither humbling nor prestigious.
(b) Prestigious, but not humbling.
(c) Humbling and prestigious.
(d) Humbling, but not prestigious.
12. How long is Tolkien's Letter #256 to Colin Bailey?
(a) One paragraph.
(b) Two pages.
(c) Two paragraphs.
(d) One page.
13. In Letter #227, how does Tolkien explain the name, Numenor?
(a) Illogical, but subjectively translated between languages.
(b) Illogical and not easily translated between languages.
(c) Logical, but subjectively translated between languages.
(d) Logical and not easily translated between languages.
14. When is Letter #159 dated?
(a) July 30, 1953.
(b) October 30, 1956.
(c) April 3, 1954.
(d) March 3, 1955.
15. How does Tolkien sign Letter #165?
(a) John Ronald Tolkien.
(b) John Ronald Reuel Tolkien.
(c) J.R.R. Tolkien.
(d) John Tolkien.
Short Answer Questions
1. As mentioned in Letter #246, where is Frodo unable to give up the Ring?
2. How heroic does Tolkien think Frodo is in Letter #246?
3. How does Tolkien think his writing about the joys of fatherhood will be interpreted by people who are not yet parents?
4. According to the information in Letter #182, what position does Tolkien now have?
5. How long does it take Tolkien to get his story about <i>The Lord of the Rings</i> published, according to Letter #159?
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)