|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tolkien announce to Christopher Bretherton in Letter #257?
(a) He is retiring from teaching.
(b) He is a scientific philologist.
(c) He is only writing poetry now.
(d) He is retiring from writing.
2. Why does Tolkien think his new position at the university will be better received in Letter #182?
(a) Because of the anticipation of the new book he is writing.
(b) Because of the reputation of the person that preceded him.
(c) Because of his fame as an author.
(d) Because of the amount of time he has worked at the university.
3. Why does a woman think that a used book she purchased had been previously owned by Tolkien?
(a) Handwritten scripts in the book.
(b) A letter of his folded in between two pages of the book.
(c) The owner of the used book store informs her that Tolkien had owned it.
(d) His signature on the last page of the book.
4. According to Tolkien in Letter #246, what would have happened if Gandalf wore the ring?
(a) He would have been worse than Sauron.
(b) He would have been better than Sauron.
(c) He would have been the same as Sauron.
(d) Tolkien is not sure.
5. What is the only date found on Letter #182?
(a) January, 1956.
(b) June, 1955.
6. How many Elves does Tolkien think might be able to manage the Ring of Power in Letter #246?
7. How long before Tolkien's death is the last letter of the book written?
(a) Four days.
(b) Four weeks.
(c) Ten days.
(d) Ten weeks.
8. As mentioned in a letter to Unwin, how had Tolkien previously responded to the warning about his friendship with C.S. Lewis?
(a) He stopped talking with C.S. Lewis.
(b) He misinterpreted the warning.
(c) He did not take the warning seriously.
(d) He began talking with C.S. Lewis' other friends.
9. According to his letters, how does Tolkien consider his experience with the publisher about the cover designs?
10. As mentioned in Letter #246, where is Frodo unable to give up the Ring?
(a) Fangorn Forest.
(b) The Cracks of Doom.
(c) The Shire.
(d) Pelennor Fields.
11. What causes Frodo to have a breakdown in <i>The Lord of the Rings</i>?
(c) Evil influences.
12. Besides his publisher, who else does Tolkien give credit to for his literary success in his letter to D. Auden?
(a) A former teacher and a former student.
(b) A nun and a former student.
(c) A nun, a former teacher, and a former student.
(d) A nun and a former teacher.
13. Which one of the following is a topic of discussion in Letter #150 to Christopher?
(a) The number of books printed.
(b) Advertisements for the books.
(c) The number of books sold.
(d) Maps for the books.
14. What aspect of fiction is detailed in Letter #199?
15. How does Tolkien describe his work for a dictionary?
(a) Humbling, but not prestigious.
(b) Humbling and prestigious.
(c) Prestigious, but not humbling.
(d) Neither humbling nor prestigious.
Short Answer Questions
1. When is Letter #185 written to Christopher and Faith Tolkien?
2. When does Tolkien begin using a typewriter for his letters?
3. As explained in Letter #256, how long does Tolkien's current book take place after Mordor has collapsed?
4. What book has Tolkien recently completed when he writes a letter to W.H. Auden that is included in "To Anne Barrett of Houghton Mifflin Co."?
5. Which book began as a story that Tolkien created to read to his children?
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)