|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To whom is Letter #159 addressed?
(a) Rayner Unwin.
(d) Dora Marshall.
2. When is Letter #246, about Gandalf and the Ring, written?
(a) November 1965.
(b) November 1962.
(c) September 1963.
(d) September 1964.
3. As mentioned in Letter #246, where is Frodo unable to give up the Ring?
(a) The Shire.
(b) Pelennor Fields.
(c) The Cracks of Doom.
(d) Fangorn Forest.
4. What is Tolkien finishing while writing the letters included in "<i>The Lord of the Rings</i> Are Published"?
(a) The manuscript for the prequel to the trilogy.
(b) The poem that coincides with the trilogy.
(c) The manuscript for the final story of the trilogy.
(d) The collection of poems that coincides with the trilogy.
5. What does the publisher do after reading Tolkien's opinions of the cover designs?
(a) They change the covers based on his opinions.
(b) They request more detailed notes from him.
(c) They leave the covers as is despite his opinions.
(d) They threaten to stop publishing the books.
6. What type of good news does Tolkien preview in Letter #185?
(a) Neither financial nor personal.
(c) Financial and personal.
7. According to the information in Letter #182, what position does Tolkien now have?
(a) Department Coordinator.
(b) Associate Professor.
(c) Department Chair.
(d) Senior Professor.
8. How does Tolkien think his writing about the joys of fatherhood will be interpreted by people who are not yet parents?
(a) They will not be surprised.
(b) They will be surprised.
(c) It will not be very helpful.
(d) It will be very helpful.
9. How long does it take Tolkien to get his story about <i>The Lord of the Rings</i> published, according to Letter #159?
(a) Two years.
(b) One year.
(c) Several years.
(d) Three years.
10. How does Tolkien respond to the publisher's actions with the cover designs in "Now the Books Themselves"?
(a) He is thankful.
(b) He is unresponsive.
(c) He is upset.
(d) He is confused.
11. How many Elves does Tolkien think might be able to manage the Ring of Power in Letter #246?
12. How does Tolkien categorize the attempts made to change his spellings in Letter #236?
(a) Largely misguided.
(b) Unintentionally offensive.
(c) Intentionally offensive.
(d) Somewhat misguided.
13. In what year does Tolkien write about a piece of fan mail that boosts his spirits in "The Final Letters"?
14. When is Letter #185 written to Christopher and Faith Tolkien?
(a) March 19.
(b) June 9.
(c) July 9.
(d) April 19.
15. What does Tolkien think drives humans towards certain behaviors?
(a) They are driven by the people around them.
(b) They are driven by circumstances as well as other things.
(c) They are driven exclusively by circumstances.
(d) They are driven by their education and culture.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the Belgians describe Tolkien in Letter #165?
2. How long before Tolkien's death is the last letter of the book written?
3. What does Tolkien announce to Christopher Bretherton in Letter #257?
4. As mentioned in a letter to Unwin, how had Tolkien previously responded to the warning about his friendship with C.S. Lewis?
5. Based on Tolkien's assessment in Letter #159, who is the most surprised about the results of the published books?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)