|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When is Letter #159 dated?
(a) March 3, 1955.
(b) April 3, 1954.
(c) July 30, 1953.
(d) October 30, 1956.
2. What is Tolkien finishing while writing the letters included in "<i>The Lord of the Rings</i> Are Published"?
(a) The manuscript for the final story of the trilogy.
(b) The collection of poems that coincides with the trilogy.
(c) The manuscript for the prequel to the trilogy.
(d) The poem that coincides with the trilogy.
3. What age does J.R.R. Tolkien pass away?
4. Which novel was being made into a paperback, prompting the debate over spelling in Letter #236?
(a) <i>The Silmarillion</i>.
(b) <i>The Lord of the Rings</i>.
(c) <i>The Hobbit<i>.
(d) <i>Farmer Giles of Ham</i>.
5. What type of good news does Tolkien preview in Letter #185?
(a) Financial and personal.
(c) Neither financial nor personal.
6. How heroic does Tolkien think Frodo is in Letter #246?
(a) He thinks that Frodo is mostly a hero, but not fully.
(b) He does not think that Frodo is a hero.
(c) He thinks that Frodo is a hero.
(d) He thinks that Frodo is only heroic in two situations.
7. In what year is Letter #253 written?
8. What two months are Letters #146, 147, and 148 written in?
(a) June and July.
(b) November and December.
(c) August and September.
(d) February and March.
9. What causes Frodo to have a breakdown in <i>The Lord of the Rings</i>?
(b) Evil influences.
10. How does Tolkien think his writing about the joys of fatherhood will be interpreted by people who are not yet parents?
(a) It will not be very helpful.
(b) They will be surprised.
(c) They will not be surprised.
(d) It will be very helpful.
11. What aspect of fiction is detailed in Letter #199?
12. What is the title of Tolkien's lecture that is included in an academic journal?
(a) English Fiction.
(b) English and Welsh languages.
(c) English Fairy Tales.
(d) English and Welsh.
13. What is Tolkien's age when he writes Letter #253?
(a) He is in his seventies.
(b) He is in his nineties.
(c) He is in his eighties.
(d) He is in his sixties.
14. As mentioned in Letter #246, where is Frodo unable to give up the Ring?
(a) Fangorn Forest.
(b) The Cracks of Doom.
(c) The Shire.
(d) Pelennor Fields.
15. In Letter #227, how does Tolkien explain the name, Numenor?
(a) Logical and not easily translated between languages.
(b) Illogical, but subjectively translated between languages.
(c) Logical, but subjectively translated between languages.
(d) Illogical and not easily translated between languages.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which book began as a story that Tolkien created to read to his children?
2. How does Tolkien describe his work for a dictionary?
3. How does Tolkien think his writing about the joys of fatherhood will be interpreted by people who are parents?
4. How does Tolkien sign Letter #165?
5. When is Letter #185 written to Christopher and Faith Tolkien?
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)