|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When is Letter #246, about Gandalf and the Ring, written?
(a) November 1962.
(b) September 1963.
(c) November 1965.
(d) September 1964.
2. How does Tolkien categorize the attempts made to change his spellings in Letter #236?
(a) Intentionally offensive.
(b) Unintentionally offensive.
(c) Somewhat misguided.
(d) Largely misguided.
3. How does Tolkien describe Gandalf in Letter #246?
4. How does Tolkien respond to the woman when she writes to him to inquire whether he had owned a book she purchased?
(a) He is unsure if he owned the book or not.
(b) He does not respond.
(c) He confirms that he had owned the book.
(d) He denies owning the book.
5. According to Tolkien in Letter #246, what would have happened if Gandalf wore the ring?
(a) Tolkien is not sure.
(b) He would have been the same as Sauron.
(c) He would have been worse than Sauron.
(d) He would have been better than Sauron.
6. What type of good news does Tolkien preview in Letter #185?
(a) Neither financial nor personal.
(c) Financial and personal.
7. Who are the familiar recipients of the letters of the 1960s that are included in "Later Years"?
(a) Christopher and Rayner Unwin.
(b) Christopher, Edith, and Rayner Unwin.
(c) Edith and Rayner Unwin.
(d) Christopher and Edith Unwin.
8. Which one of the following is a topic of discussion in Letter #150 to Christopher?
(a) Advertisements for the books.
(b) The number of books sold.
(c) Maps for the books.
(d) The number of books printed.
9. Why does C.S. Lewis use the name Numenor in one of his stories?
(a) As an attempt to rewrite The Lord of the Rings.
(b) As a reference to Tolkien.
(c) As a way to generate interest in the story.
(d) As an attempt to write a sequel to The Lord of the Rings.
10. How does Tolkien react to the original cover designs that he is sent for his books?
(a) He is unhappy with them.
(b) He is very happy with them.
(c) He does not understand them.
(d) He likes them overall, but has a few suggestions.
11. How long before Tolkien's death is the last letter of the book written?
(a) Four weeks.
(b) Four days.
(c) Ten days.
(d) Ten weeks.
12. What does the publisher do after reading Tolkien's opinions of the cover designs?
(a) They request more detailed notes from him.
(b) They leave the covers as is despite his opinions.
(c) They change the covers based on his opinions.
(d) They threaten to stop publishing the books.
13. How long is Letter #182?
(a) It is brief.
(b) It is divided into multiple sections.
(c) It is an average length.
(d) It is several pages long.
14. Which book began as a story that Tolkien created to read to his children?
(a) The Lord of the Rings.
(b) The Silmarillion.
(c) Farmer Giles of Ham.
(d) The Hobbit.
15. When does Tolkien write to Unwin about C.S. Lewis in "Now the Books Themselves"?
(a) November 19.
(b) September 19.
(c) September 9.
(d) November 9.
Short Answer Questions
1. Besides his publisher, who else does Tolkien give credit to for his literary success in his letter to D. Auden?
2. What does Tolkien announce to Christopher Bretherton in Letter #257?
3. Which novel was being made into a paperback, prompting the debate over spelling in Letter #236?
4. What year does Tolkien write a long letter to Jane Neave that is included in "Later Years"?
5. Based on Tolkien's assessment in Letter #159, who is the most surprised about the results of the published books?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)