|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Tolkien think his new position at the university will be better received in Letter #182?
(a) Because of the reputation of the person that preceded him.
(b) Because of the amount of time he has worked at the university.
(c) Because of his fame as an author.
(d) Because of the anticipation of the new book he is writing.
2. When is Letter #246, about Gandalf and the Ring, written?
(a) November 1962.
(b) September 1964.
(c) November 1965.
(d) September 1963.
3. In what year is Letter #253 written?
4. Besides his publisher, who else does Tolkien give credit to for his literary success in his letter to D. Auden?
(a) A nun, a former teacher, and a former student.
(b) A former teacher and a former student.
(c) A nun and a former student.
(d) A nun and a former teacher.
5. Which versions of The Hobbit earn Tolkien an honorary doctorate, as mentioned in Letter #165?
(a) The French and German versions.
(b) The Italian and French versions.
(c) The Italian and German versions.
(d) The Italian, French, and German versions.
6. What two months are Letters #146, 147, and 148 written in?
(a) November and December.
(b) August and September.
(c) June and July.
(d) February and March.
7. What is Tolkien finishing while writing the letters included in "The Lord of the Rings Are Published"?
(a) The manuscript for the final story of the trilogy.
(b) The collection of poems that coincides with the trilogy.
(c) The poem that coincides with the trilogy.
(d) The manuscript for the prequel to the trilogy.
8. How does Tolkien describe Gandalf in Letter #246?
9. What does the publisher do after reading Tolkien's opinions of the cover designs?
(a) They change the covers based on his opinions.
(b) They leave the covers as is despite his opinions.
(c) They threaten to stop publishing the books.
(d) They request more detailed notes from him.
10. How long does it take Tolkien to get his story about The Lord of the Rings published, according to Letter #159?
(a) One year.
(b) Two years.
(c) Several years.
(d) Three years.
11. As Tolkien explains in Letter #246, what is the main difference between Gandalf and Sauron?
(a) Sauron has much less wisdom.
(b) Sauron has much more wisdom.
(c) Gandalf never succumbs to the Enemy.
(d) Gandalf succumbs to the Enemy.
12. As displayed in Letter #257, what is the connection between Tolkien's childhood and his later years?
(a) His writing.
(b) His education.
(c) His fascination with Elves.
(d) His enjoyment of stories.
13. Who are the familiar recipients of the letters of the 1960s that are included in "Later Years"?
(a) Christopher, Edith, and Rayner Unwin.
(b) Christopher and Rayner Unwin.
(c) Christopher and Edith Unwin.
(d) Edith and Rayner Unwin.
14. How do the Belgians describe Tolkien in Letter #165?
(a) The creator of Gandolf.
(b) The author of The Silmarillion.
(c) The creator of Mr. Bilbo Baggins.
(d) The author of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings.
15. According to Tolkien in Letter #257, what prevents people from having children?
(a) Fear and reluctance.
(b) Neither fear nor reluctance.
(c) Fear, but not reluctance.
(d) Reluctance, but not fear.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the main subject of Letters #146, 147, and 148?
2. In Tolkien as "The Old Man," which dictionary does Tolkien reveal he worked for earlier in his life?
3. When does Tolkien write to Unwin about C.S. Lewis in "Now the Books Themselves"?
4. How does Tolkien think his writing about the joys of fatherhood will be interpreted by people who are not yet parents?
5. Who is Tolkien replying to in Letter #246?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)