|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What age does J.R.R. Tolkien pass away?
2. What is the first topic discussed in Tolkien's letter to Unwin about C.S. Lewis in "Now the Books Themselves"?
(a) C.S. Lewis' books.
(b) The books' sales.
(c) C.S. Lewis' opinions.
(d) The books' reviews.
3. How does Tolkien respond to the woman when she writes to him to inquire whether he had owned a book she purchased?
(a) He is unsure if he owned the book or not.
(b) He confirms that he had owned the book.
(c) He denies owning the book.
(d) He does not respond.
4. What is the main subject of Letters #146, 147, and 148?
(a) Rewriting the endings of the books.
(b) Getting enough advance copies of the book available.
(c) Getting the books into their published form.
(d) Rewriting the beginnings of the books.
5. How many Elves does Tolkien think might be able to manage the Ring of Power in Letter #246?
6. When does Tolkien begin using a typewriter for his letters?
(a) April 1965.
(b) April 1966.
(c) July 1964.
(d) July 1963.
7. What does the publisher do after reading Tolkien's opinions of the cover designs?
(a) They leave the covers as is despite his opinions.
(b) They threaten to stop publishing the books.
(c) They request more detailed notes from him.
(d) They change the covers based on his opinions.
8. Which versions of The Hobbit earn Tolkien an honorary doctorate, as mentioned in Letter #165?
(a) The French and German versions.
(b) The Italian and German versions.
(c) The Italian, French, and German versions.
(d) The Italian and French versions.
9. What year does Tolkien write a long letter to Jane Neave that is included in "Later Years"?
10. Which two characters have a dynamic that Tolkien thinks has a great effect on the events in The Lord of Rings?
(a) Frodo and Gollum.
(b) Frodo and Gandalf.
(c) Gandalf and Sauron.
(d) Gandalf and Gollum.
11. Based on Tolkien's assessment in Letter #246, what drives Frodo to embark on the incredible journey?
(a) The need to do what is right, the love of a friend, and loyalty.
(b) The love of a friend and loyalty.
(c) Loyalty and the need to do what is right.
(d) The need to do what is right and the love of a friend.
12. What two months are Letters #146, 147, and 148 written in?
(a) June and July.
(b) February and March.
(c) August and September.
(d) November and December.
13. Overall, what is the length of the longest letters included in the book?
(a) Over ten pages.
(b) A few hundred words.
(c) A few thousand words.
(d) Over twenty pages.
14. Why does Tolkien think his new position at the university will be better received in Letter #182?
(a) Because of his fame as an author.
(b) Because of the amount of time he has worked at the university.
(c) Because of the reputation of the person that preceded him.
(d) Because of the anticipation of the new book he is writing.
15. According to Tolkien in Letter #246, what would have happened if Gandalf wore the ring?
(a) Tolkien is not sure.
(b) He would have been the same as Sauron.
(c) He would have been worse than Sauron.
(d) He would have been better than Sauron.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long is Tolkien's Letter #256 to Colin Bailey?
2. What choice does Tolkien think each person has?
3. Besides his complaint in "Later Years", how many other times in the book so far has Tolkien complained about the spelling changes made by the editorial staff of a publishing company?
4. How does Tolkien categorize the attempts made to change his spellings in Letter #236?
5. How does Tolkien respond to C.S. Lewis' use of the name Numenor in one of his stories?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)