|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What age does J.R.R. Tolkien pass away?
2. Which novel was being made into a paperback, prompting the debate over spelling in Letter #236?
(a) The Hobbit.
(b) The Silmarillion.
(c) Farmer Giles of Ham.
(d) The Lord of the Rings.
3. What two months are Letters #146, 147, and 148 written in?
(a) November and December.
(b) February and March.
(c) June and July.
(d) August and September.
4. What is the main subject of Letters #146, 147, and 148?
(a) Getting the books into their published form.
(b) Getting enough advance copies of the book available.
(c) Rewriting the beginnings of the books.
(d) Rewriting the endings of the books.
5. When is Letter #246, about Gandalf and the Ring, written?
(a) November 1962.
(b) November 1965.
(c) September 1964.
(d) September 1963.
6. In a letter to W.H. Auden, where does Tolkien reveal his work as a professor originates from?
(a) His value of the English language.
(b) His actual interests.
(c) An accidental job interview.
(d) The recommendation of a friend.
7. According to Tolkien in Letter #257, what prevents people from having children?
(a) Fear and reluctance.
(b) Reluctance, but not fear.
(c) Fear, but not reluctance.
(d) Neither fear nor reluctance.
8. Based on Tolkien's assessment in Letter #159, who is the most surprised about the results of the published books?
(a) Either himself or the publisher.
(b) The publisher.
(d) Neither himself nor the publisher.
9. When does Tolkien begin using a typewriter for his letters?
(a) April 1966.
(b) April 1965.
(c) July 1964.
(d) July 1963.
10. Which versions of The Hobbit earn Tolkien an honorary doctorate, as mentioned in Letter #165?
(a) The Italian and French versions.
(b) The French and German versions.
(c) The Italian, French, and German versions.
(d) The Italian and German versions.
11. What is the title of Tolkien's lecture that is included in an academic journal?
(a) English and Welsh languages.
(b) English and Welsh.
(c) English Fiction.
(d) English Fairy Tales.
12. How does Tolkien think his writing about the joys of fatherhood will be interpreted by people who are not yet parents?
(a) They will be surprised.
(b) It will not be very helpful.
(c) It will be very helpful.
(d) They will not be surprised.
13. How long does it take Tolkien to get his story about The Lord of the Rings published, according to Letter #159?
(a) Several years.
(b) Three years.
(c) One year.
(d) Two years.
14. How does Tolkien consider Frodo's breakdown in Letter #246?
(a) He thinks that it is not a moral failure.
(b) He thinks that it was unavoidable.
(c) He thinks that it should have been avoided.
(d) He thinks that it is a moral failure.
15. How does Tolkien think his writing about the joys of fatherhood will be interpreted by people who are parents?
(a) It will be very helpful.
(b) They will be surprised.
(c) They will not be surprised.
(d) It will not be very helpful.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of good news does Tolkien preview in Letter #185?
2. Overall, what is the length of the longest letters included in the book?
3. As Tolkien explains in Letter #246, what is the main difference between Gandalf and Sauron?
4. When is Letter #185 written to Christopher and Faith Tolkien?
5. What year does Tolkien write a long letter to Jane Neave that is included in "Later Years"?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)