|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Tolkien write to Unwin about C.S. Lewis in "Now the Books Themselves"?
(a) November 9.
(b) November 19.
(c) September 19.
(d) September 9.
2. Why does a woman think that a used book she purchased had been previously owned by Tolkien?
(a) The owner of the used book store informs her that Tolkien had owned it.
(b) His signature on the last page of the book.
(c) Handwritten scripts in the book.
(d) A letter of his folded in between two pages of the book.
3. What does the publisher do after reading Tolkien's opinions of the cover designs?
(a) They request more detailed notes from him.
(b) They change the covers based on his opinions.
(c) They threaten to stop publishing the books.
(d) They leave the covers as is despite his opinions.
4. How does Tolkien respond to C.S. Lewis' use of the name Numenor in one of his stories?
(a) He is offended.
(b) He is curious.
(c) He is confused.
(d) He is delighted.
5. As mentioned in a letter to Unwin, how had Tolkien previously responded to the warning about his friendship with C.S. Lewis?
(a) He began talking with C.S. Lewis' other friends.
(b) He misinterpreted the warning.
(c) He stopped talking with C.S. Lewis.
(d) He did not take the warning seriously.
6. According to Letter #257, why did Tolkien find it difficult to become close friends with Charles Williams, a mutual friend of C.S. Lewis?
(a) Williams was not a writer.
(b) Williams was not a fan of Fairy Tales.
(c) A polar difference in literary appreciation.
(d) A polar difference in mentalities.
7. Which literary technique does Tolkien not appreciate?
8. When does Tolkien begin using a typewriter for his letters?
(a) July 1964.
(b) April 1965.
(c) April 1966.
(d) July 1963.
9. What is Tolkien finishing while writing the letters included in "The Lord of the Rings Are Published"?
(a) The manuscript for the prequel to the trilogy.
(b) The manuscript for the final story of the trilogy.
(c) The poem that coincides with the trilogy.
(d) The collection of poems that coincides with the trilogy.
10. How does Tolkien sign Letter #165?
(a) J.R.R. Tolkien.
(b) John Ronald Tolkien.
(c) John Tolkien.
(d) John Ronald Reuel Tolkien.
11. What causes Frodo to have a breakdown in The Lord of the Rings?
(a) Evil influences.
12. When is Letter #246, about Gandalf and the Ring, written?
(a) September 1964.
(b) November 1965.
(c) November 1962.
(d) September 1963.
13. How does Tolkien respond to the woman when she writes to him to inquire whether he had owned a book she purchased?
(a) He is unsure if he owned the book or not.
(b) He does not respond.
(c) He confirms that he had owned the book.
(d) He denies owning the book.
14. What does Tolkien think children can become for their parents?
(a) One of the strongest sources of support.
(b) A chance to relive their lives.
(c) A chance to correct their own mistakes.
(d) One of the strongest sources of information.
15. When is Letter #185 written to Christopher and Faith Tolkien?
(a) July 9.
(b) April 19.
(c) March 19.
(d) June 9.
Short Answer Questions
1. Overall, what is the length of the longest letters included in the book?
2. What does Tolkien announce to Christopher Bretherton in Letter #257?
3. What aspect of fiction is detailed in Letter #199?
4. How heroic does Tolkien think Frodo is in Letter #246?
5. What year does Tolkien write to his publisher with his thoughts on the original cover designs?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)