|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Tolkien categorize the attempts made to change his spellings in Letter #236?
(a) Largely misguided.
(b) Somewhat misguided.
(c) Unintentionally offensive.
(d) Intentionally offensive.
2. According to Letter #257, why did Tolkien find it difficult to become close friends with Charles Williams, a mutual friend of C.S. Lewis?
(a) Williams was not a writer.
(b) A polar difference in literary appreciation.
(c) Williams was not a fan of Fairy Tales.
(d) A polar difference in mentalities.
3. What two months are Letters #146, 147, and 148 written in?
(a) June and July.
(b) November and December.
(c) August and September.
(d) February and March.
4. According to his letters, how does Tolkien consider his experience with the publisher about the cover designs?
5. According to Tolkien in Letter #246, what would have happened if Gandalf wore the ring?
(a) He would have been better than Sauron.
(b) Tolkien is not sure.
(c) He would have been the same as Sauron.
(d) He would have been worse than Sauron.
6. In what year is Letter #253 written?
7. Based on Tolkien's assessment in Letter #159, who is the most surprised about the results of the published books?
(b) Either himself or the publisher.
(c) Neither himself nor the publisher.
(d) The publisher.
8. What aspect of fiction is detailed in Letter #199?
9. What does Tolkien announce to Christopher Bretherton in Letter #257?
(a) He is retiring from teaching.
(b) He is only writing poetry now.
(c) He is retiring from writing.
(d) He is a scientific philologist.
10. To whom is Letter #159 addressed?
(b) Rayner Unwin.
(c) Dora Marshall.
11. Who are the familiar recipients of the letters of the 1960s that are included in "Later Years"?
(a) Edith and Rayner Unwin.
(b) Christopher and Edith Unwin.
(c) Christopher and Rayner Unwin.
(d) Christopher, Edith, and Rayner Unwin.
12. In his letter to D. Auden in "The Lord of the Rings Are Published," why does Tolkien think his work is published?
(a) The stories have the ability to transcend time periods.
(b) The publisher was a childhood friend of his.
(c) The publisher was a fan of the story as a child.
(d) The stories have the ability to connect with children and adults.
13. What is the title of Tolkien's lecture that is included in an academic journal?
(a) English Fairy Tales.
(b) English and Welsh.
(c) English Fiction.
(d) English and Welsh languages.
14. What causes Frodo to have a breakdown in The Lord of the Rings?
(a) Evil influences.
15. Why does Tolkien think his new position at the university will be better received in Letter #182?
(a) Because of his fame as an author.
(b) Because of the reputation of the person that preceded him.
(c) Because of the anticipation of the new book he is writing.
(d) Because of the amount of time he has worked at the university.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Tolkien finishing while writing the letters included in "The Lord of the Rings Are Published"?
2. What age does J.R.R. Tolkien pass away?
3. Besides his complaint in "Later Years", how many other times in the book so far has Tolkien complained about the spelling changes made by the editorial staff of a publishing company?
4. Based on the information provided by Tolkien in Letter #261, which Ireland Province was C.S. Lewis from?
5. Overall, what is the length of the longest letters included in the book?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)