|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When is Letter #159 dated?
(a) July 30, 1953.
(b) March 3, 1955.
(c) October 30, 1956.
(d) April 3, 1954.
2. Who are most of the recipients of "The Final Letters"?
(a) Tolkien's students.
(b) Tolkien's publishers.
(c) Tolkien's friends.
(d) Tolkien's relatives.
3. What does Tolkien wish for "well-meaning folk who think they know" in Letter #236?
(a) They could be restrained.
(b) They could be appreciated.
(c) They could be listened to.
(d) They could be reasoned with.
4. When does Tolkien begin using a typewriter for his letters?
(a) April 1966.
(b) April 1965.
(c) July 1964.
(d) July 1963.
5. How does Tolkien respond to the publisher's actions with the cover designs in "Now the Books Themselves"?
(a) He is upset.
(b) He is unresponsive.
(c) He is confused.
(d) He is thankful.
6. What feeling does Tolkien have about knowing the entire story of The Lord of the Rings?
(a) A different and possibly familiar feeling.
(b) A different and possibly strange feeling.
(c) An unexpected and strange feeling.
(d) An expected and familiar feeling.
7. Which versions of The Hobbit earn Tolkien an honorary doctorate, as mentioned in Letter #165?
(a) The Italian and German versions.
(b) The French and German versions.
(c) The Italian and French versions.
(d) The Italian, French, and German versions.
8. Besides his publisher, who else does Tolkien give credit to for his literary success in his letter to D. Auden?
(a) A nun and a former teacher.
(b) A nun, a former teacher, and a former student.
(c) A nun and a former student.
(d) A former teacher and a former student.
9. How long before Tolkien's death is the last letter of the book written?
(a) Four weeks.
(b) Ten days.
(c) Ten weeks.
(d) Four days.
10. How does Tolkien react to the original cover designs that he is sent for his books?
(a) He is very happy with them.
(b) He is unhappy with them.
(c) He does not understand them.
(d) He likes them overall, but has a few suggestions.
11. Who is Tolkien replying to in Letter #246?
(b) Mrs. Eileen Elgar.
(d) Rayner Unwin.
12. How do the Belgians describe Tolkien in Letter #165?
(a) The author of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings.
(b) The creator of Mr. Bilbo Baggins.
(c) The author of The Silmarillion.
(d) The creator of Gandolf.
13. Based on the information provided by Tolkien in Letter #261, which Ireland Province was C.S. Lewis from?
14. In Tolkien as "The Old Man," which dictionary does Tolkien reveal he worked for earlier in his life?
(c) American Heritage.
15. Which two characters have a dynamic that Tolkien thinks has a great effect on the events in The Lord of Rings?
(a) Gandalf and Sauron.
(b) Gandalf and Gollum.
(c) Frodo and Gollum.
(d) Frodo and Gandalf.
Short Answer Questions
1. How heroic does Tolkien think Frodo is in Letter #246?
2. In his letter to D. Auden in "The Lord of the Rings Are Published," why does Tolkien think his work is published?
3. Overall, what is the length of the longest letters included in the book?
4. How does Tolkien respond to C.S. Lewis' use of the name Numenor in one of his stories?
5. Which new names are among the recipients of the 1960s letters included in "Later Years"?
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)