|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Tolkien replying to in Letter #246?
(a) Mrs. Eileen Elgar.
(d) Rayner Unwin.
2. In Letter #227, how does Tolkien explain the name, Numenor?
(a) Logical and not easily translated between languages.
(b) Illogical, but subjectively translated between languages.
(c) Illogical and not easily translated between languages.
(d) Logical, but subjectively translated between languages.
3. What university did C.S. Lewis have a Chair position?
(a) University of Edinburgh.
(b) University of Manchester.
(c) University of Cambridge.
(d) University of Oxford.
4. What is Tolkien finishing while writing the letters included in "The Lord of the Rings Are Published"?
(a) The poem that coincides with the trilogy.
(b) The manuscript for the final story of the trilogy.
(c) The manuscript for the prequel to the trilogy.
(d) The collection of poems that coincides with the trilogy.
5. How long is Tolkien's Letter #256 to Colin Bailey?
(a) One paragraph.
(b) One page.
(c) Two pages.
(d) Two paragraphs.
6. According to Tolkien in Letter #246, what would have happened if Gandalf wore the ring?
(a) He would have been better than Sauron.
(b) He would have been worse than Sauron.
(c) Tolkien is not sure.
(d) He would have been the same as Sauron.
7. When is Letter #159 dated?
(a) April 3, 1954.
(b) March 3, 1955.
(c) July 30, 1953.
(d) October 30, 1956.
8. What does Tolkien announce to Christopher Bretherton in Letter #257?
(a) He is only writing poetry now.
(b) He is retiring from writing.
(c) He is a scientific philologist.
(d) He is retiring from teaching.
9. What type of good news does Tolkien preview in Letter #185?
(c) Financial and personal.
(d) Neither financial nor personal.
10. When does Tolkien begin using a typewriter for his letters?
(a) July 1964.
(b) April 1965.
(c) July 1963.
(d) April 1966.
11. What age does J.R.R. Tolkien pass away?
12. To whom is Letter #159 addressed?
(c) Rayner Unwin.
(d) Dora Marshall.
13. What is the main subject of Letters #146, 147, and 148?
(a) Rewriting the endings of the books.
(b) Rewriting the beginnings of the books.
(c) Getting enough advance copies of the book available.
(d) Getting the books into their published form.
14. Besides his complaint in "Later Years", how many other times in the book so far has Tolkien complained about the spelling changes made by the editorial staff of a publishing company?
(b) Three times.
15. How does Tolkien think his writing about the joys of fatherhood will be interpreted by people who are not yet parents?
(a) It will be very helpful.
(b) They will be surprised.
(c) They will not be surprised.
(d) It will not be very helpful.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Tolkien as "The Old Man," which dictionary does Tolkien reveal he worked for earlier in his life?
2. As mentioned in a letter to Unwin, how had Tolkien previously responded to the warning about his friendship with C.S. Lewis?
3. What two months are Letters #146, 147, and 148 written in?
4. Who are the familiar recipients of the letters of the 1960s that are included in "Later Years"?
5. How does Tolkien describe his work for a dictionary?
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)