|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who are the familiar recipients of the letters of the 1960s that are included in "Later Years"?
(a) Christopher and Edith Unwin.
(b) Christopher, Edith, and Rayner Unwin.
(c) Christopher and Rayner Unwin.
(d) Edith and Rayner Unwin.
2. What two months are Letters #146, 147, and 148 written in?
(a) June and July.
(b) November and December.
(c) February and March.
(d) August and September.
3. How does Tolkien categorize the attempts made to change his spellings in Letter #236?
(a) Unintentionally offensive.
(b) Largely misguided.
(c) Intentionally offensive.
(d) Somewhat misguided.
4. How does Tolkien describe Gandalf in Letter #246?
5. What does Tolkien think drives humans towards certain behaviors?
(a) They are driven exclusively by circumstances.
(b) They are driven by circumstances as well as other things.
(c) They are driven by their education and culture.
(d) They are driven by the people around them.
6. Besides his publisher, who else does Tolkien give credit to for his literary success in his letter to D. Auden?
(a) A nun, a former teacher, and a former student.
(b) A nun and a former student.
(c) A former teacher and a former student.
(d) A nun and a former teacher.
7. According to the information in Letter #182, what position does Tolkien now have?
(a) Senior Professor.
(b) Associate Professor.
(c) Department Chair.
(d) Department Coordinator.
8. As explained in Letter #256, how long does Tolkien's current book take place after Mordor has collapsed?
(a) One hundred and fifty years.
(b) Fifty years.
(c) One hundred years.
(d) Two hundred years.
9. How do the Belgians describe Tolkien in Letter #165?
(a) The creator of Gandolf.
(b) The author of The Silmarillion.
(c) The creator of Mr. Bilbo Baggins.
(d) The author of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings.
10. As displayed in Letter #257, what is the connection between Tolkien's childhood and his later years?
(a) His enjoyment of stories.
(b) His education.
(c) His writing.
(d) His fascination with Elves.
11. What does Tolkien wish for "well-meaning folk who think they know" in Letter #236?
(a) They could be appreciated.
(b) They could be restrained.
(c) They could be listened to.
(d) They could be reasoned with.
12. As mentioned in Letter #246, where is Frodo unable to give up the Ring?
(a) The Cracks of Doom.
(b) The Shire.
(c) Pelennor Fields.
(d) Fangorn Forest.
13. As mentioned in a letter to Unwin, how had Tolkien previously responded to the warning about his friendship with C.S. Lewis?
(a) He did not take the warning seriously.
(b) He stopped talking with C.S. Lewis.
(c) He began talking with C.S. Lewis' other friends.
(d) He misinterpreted the warning.
14. What book has Tolkien recently completed when he writes a letter to W.H. Auden that is included in "To Anne Barrett of Houghton Mifflin Co."?
(a) The Lord of the Rings.
(b) Unfinished Tales.
(c) The Silmarillion.
(d) The Return of the King.
15. What causes Frodo to have a breakdown in The Lord of the Rings?
(c) Evil influences.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many Elves does Tolkien think might be able to manage the Ring of Power in Letter #246?
2. What is the main subject of Letters #146, 147, and 148?
3. What year does Tolkien write to his publisher with his thoughts on the original cover designs?
4. What is Tolkien finishing while writing the letters included in "The Lord of the Rings Are Published"?
5. Which versions of The Hobbit earn Tolkien an honorary doctorate, as mentioned in Letter #165?
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)