|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When is Letter #159 dated?
(a) October 30, 1956.
(b) March 3, 1955.
(c) July 30, 1953.
(d) April 3, 1954.
2. Why does C.S. Lewis use the name Numenor in one of his stories?
(a) As an attempt to write a sequel to <i>The Lord of the Rings</i>.
(b) As an attempt to rewrite <i>The Lord of the Rings</i>.
(c) As a reference to Tolkien.
(d) As a way to generate interest in the story.
3. When does Tolkien begin using a typewriter for his letters?
(a) July 1963.
(b) April 1966.
(c) April 1965.
(d) July 1964.
4. How does Tolkien describe Gandalf in Letter #246?
5. According to Letter #257, why did Tolkien find it difficult to become close friends with Charles Williams, a mutual friend of C.S. Lewis?
(a) A polar difference in literary appreciation.
(b) Williams was not a writer.
(c) A polar difference in mentalities.
(d) Williams was not a fan of Fairy Tales.
6. Besides his publisher, who else does Tolkien give credit to for his literary success in his letter to D. Auden?
(a) A former teacher and a former student.
(b) A nun, a former teacher, and a former student.
(c) A nun and a former student.
(d) A nun and a former teacher.
7. In Letter #227, how does Tolkien explain the name, Numenor?
(a) Logical and not easily translated between languages.
(b) Logical, but subjectively translated between languages.
(c) Illogical, but subjectively translated between languages.
(d) Illogical and not easily translated between languages.
8. How do the Belgians describe Tolkien in Letter #165?
(a) The creator of Mr. Bilbo Baggins.
(b) The author of <i>The Silmarillion</i>.
(c) The author of <i>The Hobbit<i> and <i>The Lord of the Rings</i>.
(d) The creator of Gandolf.
9. Why does a woman think that a used book she purchased had been previously owned by Tolkien?
(a) A letter of his folded in between two pages of the book.
(b) Handwritten scripts in the book.
(c) The owner of the used book store informs her that Tolkien had owned it.
(d) His signature on the last page of the book.
10. As mentioned in Letter #246, where is Frodo unable to give up the Ring?
(a) Fangorn Forest.
(b) Pelennor Fields.
(c) The Shire.
(d) The Cracks of Doom.
11. Based on Tolkien's assessment in Letter #159, who is the most surprised about the results of the published books?
(b) The publisher.
(c) Neither himself nor the publisher.
(d) Either himself or the publisher.
12. What type of good news does Tolkien preview in Letter #185?
(b) Financial and personal.
(d) Neither financial nor personal.
13. What year does Tolkien write to his publisher with his thoughts on the original cover designs?
14. According to Tolkien in Letter #257, what prevents people from having children?
(a) Fear, but not reluctance.
(b) Fear and reluctance.
(c) Reluctance, but not fear.
(d) Neither fear nor reluctance.
15. What feeling does Tolkien have about knowing the entire story of <i>The Lord of the Rings</i>?
(a) A different and possibly familiar feeling.
(b) A different and possibly strange feeling.
(c) An expected and familiar feeling.
(d) An unexpected and strange feeling.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tolkien think children can become for their parents?
2. To whom does Tolkien write about the impact of C.S. Lewis' passing?
3. As mentioned in a letter to Unwin, how had Tolkien previously responded to the warning about his friendship with C.S. Lewis?
4. Overall, what is the length of the longest letters included in the book?
5. How does Tolkien sign Letter #165?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)