|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to his letters, how does Tolkien consider his experience with the publisher about the cover designs?
2. To whom does Tolkien write about the impact of C.S. Lewis' passing?
(b) Rayner Unwin.
(c) Humphrey Carpenter.
3. What does Tolkien wish for "well-meaning folk who think they know" in Letter #236?
(a) They could be reasoned with.
(b) They could be restrained.
(c) They could be listened to.
(d) They could be appreciated.
4. What aspect of fiction is detailed in Letter #199?
5. Which novel was being made into a paperback, prompting the debate over spelling in Letter #236?
(a) Farmer Giles of Ham.
(b) The Hobbit.
(c) The Lord of the Rings.
(d) The Silmarillion.
6. How does Tolkien respond to C.S. Lewis' use of the name Numenor in one of his stories?
(a) He is curious.
(b) He is confused.
(c) He is delighted.
(d) He is offended.
7. When does Tolkien write to Unwin about C.S. Lewis in "Now the Books Themselves"?
(a) November 9.
(b) November 19.
(c) September 19.
(d) September 9.
8. According to Tolkien in Letter #246, what would have happened if Gandalf wore the ring?
(a) He would have been the same as Sauron.
(b) Tolkien is not sure.
(c) He would have been worse than Sauron.
(d) He would have been better than Sauron.
9. In a letter to W.H. Auden, where does Tolkien reveal his work as a professor originates from?
(a) An accidental job interview.
(b) His value of the English language.
(c) His actual interests.
(d) The recommendation of a friend.
10. What book has Tolkien recently completed when he writes a letter to W.H. Auden that is included in "To Anne Barrett of Houghton Mifflin Co."?
(a) The Silmarillion.
(b) The Lord of the Rings.
(c) Unfinished Tales.
(d) The Return of the King.
11. As explained in Letter #256, how long does Tolkien's current book take place after Mordor has collapsed?
(a) Fifty years.
(b) One hundred and fifty years.
(c) Two hundred years.
(d) One hundred years.
12. Based on the information provided by Tolkien in Letter #261, which Ireland Province was C.S. Lewis from?
13. Which one of the following is a topic of discussion in Letter #150 to Christopher?
(a) Maps for the books.
(b) The number of books printed.
(c) The number of books sold.
(d) Advertisements for the books.
14. What is Tolkien's age when he writes Letter #253?
(a) He is in his seventies.
(b) He is in his nineties.
(c) He is in his eighties.
(d) He is in his sixties.
15. As displayed in Letter #257, what is the connection between Tolkien's childhood and his later years?
(a) His enjoyment of stories.
(b) His writing.
(c) His education.
(d) His fascination with Elves.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which two characters have a dynamic that Tolkien thinks has a great effect on the events in The Lord of Rings?
2. According to the information in Letter #182, what position does Tolkien now have?
3. How does Tolkien expect the publisher to respond to his opinions of the cover designs?
4. In Letter #227, how does Tolkien explain the name, Numenor?
5. Besides his publisher, who else does Tolkien give credit to for his literary success in his letter to D. Auden?
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)