|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Tolkien explains in Letter #246, what is the main difference between Gandalf and Sauron?
(a) Sauron has much less wisdom.
(b) Sauron has much more wisdom.
(c) Gandalf never succumbs to the Enemy.
(d) Gandalf succumbs to the Enemy.
2. What is Tolkien's age when he writes Letter #253?
(a) He is in his eighties.
(b) He is in his sixties.
(c) He is in his nineties.
(d) He is in his seventies.
3. How long does it take Tolkien to get his story about The Lord of the Rings published, according to Letter #159?
(a) Several years.
(b) Three years.
(c) Two years.
(d) One year.
4. How does Tolkien describe his work for a dictionary?
(a) Humbling and prestigious.
(b) Prestigious, but not humbling.
(c) Neither humbling nor prestigious.
(d) Humbling, but not prestigious.
5. How does Tolkien expect the publisher to respond to his opinions of the cover designs?
(a) He thinks they will ignore his opinion.
(b) He thinks they will appreciate his opinion, but not act on it.
(c) He thinks they will become upset by reading his opinion.
(d) He thinks they will agree with his opinion.
6. As explained in Letter #256, how long does Tolkien's current book take place after Mordor has collapsed?
(a) One hundred years.
(b) One hundred and fifty years.
(c) Two hundred years.
(d) Fifty years.
7. What is Tolkien finishing while writing the letters included in "The Lord of the Rings Are Published"?
(a) The collection of poems that coincides with the trilogy.
(b) The manuscript for the prequel to the trilogy.
(c) The poem that coincides with the trilogy.
(d) The manuscript for the final story of the trilogy.
8. In what year does Tolkien write about a piece of fan mail that boosts his spirits in "The Final Letters"?
9. How long before Tolkien's death is the last letter of the book written?
(a) Four weeks.
(b) Four days.
(c) Ten days.
(d) Ten weeks.
10. Which versions of The Hobbit earn Tolkien an honorary doctorate, as mentioned in Letter #165?
(a) The Italian, French, and German versions.
(b) The Italian and German versions.
(c) The Italian and French versions.
(d) The French and German versions.
11. What feeling does Tolkien have about knowing the entire story of The Lord of the Rings?
(a) A different and possibly strange feeling.
(b) An expected and familiar feeling.
(c) A different and possibly familiar feeling.
(d) An unexpected and strange feeling.
12. When is Letter #246, about Gandalf and the Ring, written?
(a) September 1964.
(b) November 1965.
(c) September 1963.
(d) November 1962.
13. What is the title of Tolkien's lecture that is included in an academic journal?
(a) English Fairy Tales.
(b) English and Welsh.
(c) English and Welsh languages.
(d) English Fiction.
14. How does Tolkien categorize the attempts made to change his spellings in Letter #236?
(a) Intentionally offensive.
(b) Unintentionally offensive.
(c) Somewhat misguided.
(d) Largely misguided.
15. What year does Tolkien write to his publisher with his thoughts on the original cover designs?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tolkien announce to Christopher Bretherton in Letter #257?
2. As mentioned in Letter #246, where is Frodo unable to give up the Ring?
3. How does Tolkien think his writing about the joys of fatherhood will be interpreted by people who are not yet parents?
4. How does Tolkien respond to the woman when she writes to him to inquire whether he had owned a book she purchased?
5. In Letter #227, how does Tolkien explain the name, Numenor?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)