|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Tolkien think his writing about the joys of fatherhood will be interpreted by people who are not yet parents?
(a) They will not be surprised.
(b) It will be very helpful.
(c) They will be surprised.
(d) It will not be very helpful.
2. How do the Belgians describe Tolkien in Letter #165?
(a) The creator of Gandolf.
(b) The author of <i>The Silmarillion</i>.
(c) The author of <i>The Hobbit<i> and <i>The Lord of the Rings</i>.
(d) The creator of Mr. Bilbo Baggins.
3. Which literary technique does Tolkien not appreciate?
4. Which one of the following is a topic of discussion in Letter #150 to Christopher?
(a) Advertisements for the books.
(b) The number of books sold.
(c) Maps for the books.
(d) The number of books printed.
5. Which two characters have a dynamic that Tolkien thinks has a great effect on the events in <i>The Lord of Rings</i>?
(a) Gandalf and Sauron.
(b) Frodo and Gandalf.
(c) Gandalf and Gollum.
(d) Frodo and Gollum.
6. Based on Tolkien's assessment in Letter #159, who is the most surprised about the results of the published books?
(a) The publisher.
(b) Either himself or the publisher.
(c) Neither himself nor the publisher.
7. What book has Tolkien recently completed when he writes a letter to W.H. Auden that is included in "To Anne Barrett of Houghton Mifflin Co."?
(a) <i>Unfinished Tales</i>.
(b) <i>The Silmarillion</i>.
(c) <i>The Lord of the Rings</i>.
(d) <i>The Return of the King</i>.
8. In Letter #227, how does Tolkien explain the name, Numenor?
(a) Illogical, but subjectively translated between languages.
(b) Logical and not easily translated between languages.
(c) Logical, but subjectively translated between languages.
(d) Illogical and not easily translated between languages.
9. When is Letter #159 dated?
(a) April 3, 1954.
(b) July 30, 1953.
(c) March 3, 1955.
(d) October 30, 1956.
10. How does Tolkien consider Frodo's breakdown in Letter #246?
(a) He thinks that it should have been avoided.
(b) He thinks that it is not a moral failure.
(c) He thinks that it is a moral failure.
(d) He thinks that it was unavoidable.
11. How does Tolkien think his writing about the joys of fatherhood will be interpreted by people who are parents?
(a) They will be surprised.
(b) They will not be surprised.
(c) It will not be very helpful.
(d) It will be very helpful.
12. As displayed in Letter #257, what is the connection between Tolkien's childhood and his later years?
(a) His enjoyment of stories.
(b) His writing.
(c) His education.
(d) His fascination with Elves.
13. When is Letter #185 written to Christopher and Faith Tolkien?
(a) March 19.
(b) April 19.
(c) July 9.
(d) June 9.
14. How long is Tolkien's Letter #256 to Colin Bailey?
(a) Two paragraphs.
(b) One paragraph.
(c) One page.
(d) Two pages.
15. According to his letters, how does Tolkien consider his experience with the publisher about the cover designs?
Short Answer Questions
1. Based on Tolkien's letter to W.H. Auden, who is responsible for shaping an individual's behavior?
2. Why does a woman think that a used book she purchased had been previously owned by Tolkien?
3. How does Tolkien describe his work for a dictionary?
4. Why does Tolkien think his new position at the university will be better received in Letter #182?
5. What is Tolkien finishing while writing the letters included in "<i>The Lord of the Rings</i> Are Published"?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)