|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When is Letter #246, about Gandalf and the Ring, written?
(a) November 1962.
(b) November 1965.
(c) September 1963.
(d) September 1964.
2. According to Tolkien in Letter #246, what would have happened if Gandalf wore the ring?
(a) He would have been better than Sauron.
(b) He would have been the same as Sauron.
(c) He would have been worse than Sauron.
(d) Tolkien is not sure.
3. What is Tolkien's age when he writes Letter #253?
(a) He is in his sixties.
(b) He is in his eighties.
(c) He is in his nineties.
(d) He is in his seventies.
4. Based on Tolkien's letter to W.H. Auden, who is responsible for shaping an individual's behavior?
(a) Neither the individual nor people around them.
(b) The individual.
(c) People around the individual.
(d) The individual and people around them.
5. When is Letter #185 written to Christopher and Faith Tolkien?
(a) March 19.
(b) April 19.
(c) July 9.
(d) June 9.
6. How long is Letter #182?
(a) It is brief.
(b) It is several pages long.
(c) It is divided into multiple sections.
(d) It is an average length.
7. What year does Tolkien write to his publisher with his thoughts on the original cover designs?
8. How does Tolkien categorize the attempts made to change his spellings in Letter #236?
(a) Somewhat misguided.
(b) Unintentionally offensive.
(c) Intentionally offensive.
(d) Largely misguided.
9. Which one of the following is a topic of discussion in Letter #150 to Christopher?
(a) Advertisements for the books.
(b) The number of books sold.
(c) Maps for the books.
(d) The number of books printed.
10. What does Tolkien announce to Christopher Bretherton in Letter #257?
(a) He is a scientific philologist.
(b) He is retiring from teaching.
(c) He is only writing poetry now.
(d) He is retiring from writing.
11. What is the first topic discussed in Tolkien's letter to Unwin about C.S. Lewis in "Now the Books Themselves"?
(a) The books' reviews.
(b) C.S. Lewis' books.
(c) The books' sales.
(d) C.S. Lewis' opinions.
12. How does Tolkien think his writing about the joys of fatherhood will be interpreted by people who are not yet parents?
(a) They will not be surprised.
(b) It will not be very helpful.
(c) It will be very helpful.
(d) They will be surprised.
13. What does Tolkien think drives humans towards certain behaviors?
(a) They are driven by their education and culture.
(b) They are driven exclusively by circumstances.
(c) They are driven by circumstances as well as other things.
(d) They are driven by the people around them.
14. How long before Tolkien's death is the last letter of the book written?
(a) Ten weeks.
(b) Four weeks.
(c) Four days.
(d) Ten days.
15. How many Elves does Tolkien think might be able to manage the Ring of Power in Letter #246?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tolkien wish for "well-meaning folk who think they know" in Letter #236?
2. Which literary technique does Tolkien not appreciate?
3. Who are most of the recipients of "The Final Letters"?
4. What causes Frodo to have a breakdown in The Lord of the Rings?
5. Which versions of The Hobbit earn Tolkien an honorary doctorate, as mentioned in Letter #165?
This section contains 522 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)