|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What age does J.R.R. Tolkien pass away?
2. What two months are Letters #146, 147, and 148 written in?
(a) June and July.
(b) February and March.
(c) November and December.
(d) August and September.
3. What does Tolkien announce to Christopher Bretherton in Letter #257?
(a) He is a scientific philologist.
(b) He is only writing poetry now.
(c) He is retiring from writing.
(d) He is retiring from teaching.
4. Besides his complaint in "Later Years", how many other times in the book so far has Tolkien complained about the spelling changes made by the editorial staff of a publishing company?
(c) Three times.
5. Who are the familiar recipients of the letters of the 1960s that are included in "Later Years"?
(a) Christopher and Rayner Unwin.
(b) Christopher, Edith, and Rayner Unwin.
(c) Christopher and Edith Unwin.
(d) Edith and Rayner Unwin.
6. What choice does Tolkien think each person has?
(a) To search for answers or leave unanswered questions.
(b) To become educated or remain uneducated.
(c) To cultivate or leave undeveloped.
(d) To perfect a skill or to remain a novice.
7. Why does C.S. Lewis use the name Numenor in one of his stories?
(a) As a reference to Tolkien.
(b) As an attempt to rewrite The Lord of the Rings.
(c) As an attempt to write a sequel to The Lord of the Rings.
(d) As a way to generate interest in the story.
8. What is the only date found on Letter #182?
(a) June, 1955.
(b) January, 1956.
9. In what year does Tolkien write about a piece of fan mail that boosts his spirits in "The Final Letters"?
10. When is Letter #185 written to Christopher and Faith Tolkien?
(a) March 19.
(b) April 19.
(c) July 9.
(d) June 9.
11. How long is Tolkien's Letter #256 to Colin Bailey?
(a) Two paragraphs.
(b) One page.
(c) Two pages.
(d) One paragraph.
12. What is Tolkien's age when he writes Letter #253?
(a) He is in his sixties.
(b) He is in his nineties.
(c) He is in his eighties.
(d) He is in his seventies.
13. How does Tolkien sign Letter #165?
(a) John Tolkien.
(b) John Ronald Tolkien.
(c) John Ronald Reuel Tolkien.
(d) J.R.R. Tolkien.
14. When does Tolkien write to Unwin about C.S. Lewis in "Now the Books Themselves"?
(a) September 19.
(b) November 19.
(c) November 9.
(d) September 9.
15. Which novel was being made into a paperback, prompting the debate over spelling in Letter #236?
(a) The Silmarillion.
(b) Farmer Giles of Ham.
(c) The Hobbit.
(d) The Lord of the Rings.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which book began as a story that Tolkien created to read to his children?
2. As mentioned in Letter #246, where is Frodo unable to give up the Ring?
3. How does Tolkien describe his work for a dictionary?
4. According to the information in Letter #182, what position does Tolkien now have?
5. In a letter to W.H. Auden, where does Tolkien reveal his work as a professor originates from?
This section contains 502 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)