|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In his letter to D. Auden in "The Lord of the Rings Are Published," why does Tolkien think his work is published?
(a) The stories have the ability to connect with children and adults.
(b) The stories have the ability to transcend time periods.
(c) The publisher was a childhood friend of his.
(d) The publisher was a fan of the story as a child.
2. What year does Tolkien write a long letter to Jane Neave that is included in "Later Years"?
3. To whom does Tolkien write about the impact of C.S. Lewis' passing?
(a) Rayner Unwin.
(c) Humphrey Carpenter.
4. In what year does Tolkien write about a piece of fan mail that boosts his spirits in "The Final Letters"?
5. When is Letter #159 dated?
(a) March 3, 1955.
(b) April 3, 1954.
(c) July 30, 1953.
(d) October 30, 1956.
6. According to Tolkien in Letter #257, what prevents people from having children?
(a) Fear and reluctance.
(b) Reluctance, but not fear.
(c) Fear, but not reluctance.
(d) Neither fear nor reluctance.
7. To whom is Letter #159 addressed?
(a) Dora Marshall.
(b) Rayner Unwin.
8. According to Letter #257, why did Tolkien find it difficult to become close friends with Charles Williams, a mutual friend of C.S. Lewis?
(a) A polar difference in mentalities.
(b) Williams was not a fan of Fairy Tales.
(c) Williams was not a writer.
(d) A polar difference in literary appreciation.
9. What choice does Tolkien think each person has?
(a) To perfect a skill or to remain a novice.
(b) To become educated or remain uneducated.
(c) To cultivate or leave undeveloped.
(d) To search for answers or leave unanswered questions.
10. Based on Tolkien's assessment in Letter #159, who is the most surprised about the results of the published books?
(a) Neither himself nor the publisher.
(b) Either himself or the publisher.
(d) The publisher.
11. Overall, what is the length of the longest letters included in the book?
(a) Over twenty pages.
(b) A few hundred words.
(c) A few thousand words.
(d) Over ten pages.
12. Which book began as a story that Tolkien created to read to his children?
(a) The Silmarillion.
(b) The Hobbit.
(c) Farmer Giles of Ham.
(d) The Lord of the Rings.
13. How long is Tolkien's Letter #256 to Colin Bailey?
(a) One page.
(b) Two paragraphs.
(c) One paragraph.
(d) Two pages.
14. How does Tolkien think his writing about the joys of fatherhood will be interpreted by people who are parents?
(a) It will not be very helpful.
(b) They will not be surprised.
(c) They will be surprised.
(d) It will be very helpful.
15. What two months are Letters #146, 147, and 148 written in?
(a) June and July.
(b) February and March.
(c) November and December.
(d) August and September.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first topic discussed in Tolkien's letter to Unwin about C.S. Lewis in "Now the Books Themselves"?
2. What is the title of Tolkien's lecture that is included in an academic journal?
3. Based on the information provided by Tolkien in Letter #261, which Ireland Province was C.S. Lewis from?
4. What book has Tolkien recently completed when he writes a letter to W.H. Auden that is included in "To Anne Barrett of Houghton Mifflin Co."?
5. How many Elves does Tolkien think might be able to manage the Ring of Power in Letter #246?
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)