|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What feeling does Tolkien have about knowing the entire story of The Lord of the Rings?
(a) A different and possibly familiar feeling.
(b) A different and possibly strange feeling.
(c) An expected and familiar feeling.
(d) An unexpected and strange feeling.
2. How do the Belgians describe Tolkien in Letter #165?
(a) The author of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings.
(b) The creator of Gandolf.
(c) The creator of Mr. Bilbo Baggins.
(d) The author of The Silmarillion.
3. According to Letter #257, why did Tolkien find it difficult to become close friends with Charles Williams, a mutual friend of C.S. Lewis?
(a) A polar difference in mentalities.
(b) A polar difference in literary appreciation.
(c) Williams was not a fan of Fairy Tales.
(d) Williams was not a writer.
4. How long is Tolkien's Letter #256 to Colin Bailey?
(a) Two pages.
(b) Two paragraphs.
(c) One paragraph.
(d) One page.
5. What is the first topic discussed in Tolkien's letter to Unwin about C.S. Lewis in "Now the Books Themselves"?
(a) The books' reviews.
(b) The books' sales.
(c) C.S. Lewis' books.
(d) C.S. Lewis' opinions.
6. What is Tolkien's age when he writes Letter #253?
(a) He is in his nineties.
(b) He is in his seventies.
(c) He is in his sixties.
(d) He is in his eighties.
7. What is Tolkien finishing while writing the letters included in "The Lord of the Rings Are Published"?
(a) The poem that coincides with the trilogy.
(b) The collection of poems that coincides with the trilogy.
(c) The manuscript for the prequel to the trilogy.
(d) The manuscript for the final story of the trilogy.
8. What does Tolkien wish for "well-meaning folk who think they know" in Letter #236?
(a) They could be appreciated.
(b) They could be listened to.
(c) They could be restrained.
(d) They could be reasoned with.
9. Besides his publisher, who else does Tolkien give credit to for his literary success in his letter to D. Auden?
(a) A nun and a former student.
(b) A former teacher and a former student.
(c) A nun and a former teacher.
(d) A nun, a former teacher, and a former student.
10. How does Tolkien describe Gandalf in Letter #246?
11. How does Tolkien think his writing about the joys of fatherhood will be interpreted by people who are not yet parents?
(a) It will be very helpful.
(b) They will be surprised.
(c) It will not be very helpful.
(d) They will not be surprised.
12. Which novel was being made into a paperback, prompting the debate over spelling in Letter #236?
(a) Farmer Giles of Ham.
(b) The Hobbit.
(c) The Lord of the Rings.
(d) The Silmarillion.
13. As explained in Letter #256, how long does Tolkien's current book take place after Mordor has collapsed?
(a) One hundred and fifty years.
(b) Fifty years.
(c) Two hundred years.
(d) One hundred years.
14. What book has Tolkien recently completed when he writes a letter to W.H. Auden that is included in "To Anne Barrett of Houghton Mifflin Co."?
(a) The Lord of the Rings.
(b) The Return of the King.
(c) The Silmarillion.
(d) Unfinished Tales.
15. In what year does Tolkien write about a piece of fan mail that boosts his spirits in "The Final Letters"?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tolkien respond to the publisher's actions with the cover designs in "Now the Books Themselves"?
2. Which literary technique does Tolkien not appreciate?
3. In Letter #227, how does Tolkien explain the name, Numenor?
4. To whom is Letter #159 addressed?
5. Why does a woman think that a used book she purchased had been previously owned by Tolkien?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)