|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the Belgians describe Tolkien in Letter #165?
(a) The creator of Mr. Bilbo Baggins.
(b) The author of The Silmarillion.
(c) The creator of Gandolf.
(d) The author of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings.
2. When is Letter #246, about Gandalf and the Ring, written?
(a) November 1962.
(b) September 1963.
(c) November 1965.
(d) September 1964.
3. What is the title of Tolkien's lecture that is included in an academic journal?
(a) English Fiction.
(b) English and Welsh.
(c) English Fairy Tales.
(d) English and Welsh languages.
4. What does the publisher do after reading Tolkien's opinions of the cover designs?
(a) They leave the covers as is despite his opinions.
(b) They threaten to stop publishing the books.
(c) They change the covers based on his opinions.
(d) They request more detailed notes from him.
5. When does Tolkien begin using a typewriter for his letters?
(a) April 1965.
(b) July 1963.
(c) April 1966.
(d) July 1964.
6. How does Tolkien sign Letter #165?
(a) John Ronald Reuel Tolkien.
(b) John Tolkien.
(c) John Ronald Tolkien.
(d) J.R.R. Tolkien.
7. How does Tolkien react to the original cover designs that he is sent for his books?
(a) He is very happy with them.
(b) He is unhappy with them.
(c) He does not understand them.
(d) He likes them overall, but has a few suggestions.
8. According to Tolkien in Letter #246, what would have happened if Gandalf wore the ring?
(a) He would have been the same as Sauron.
(b) He would have been better than Sauron.
(c) He would have been worse than Sauron.
(d) Tolkien is not sure.
9. What is Tolkien's age when he writes Letter #253?
(a) He is in his sixties.
(b) He is in his seventies.
(c) He is in his nineties.
(d) He is in his eighties.
10. How many Elves does Tolkien think might be able to manage the Ring of Power in Letter #246?
11. As displayed in Letter #257, what is the connection between Tolkien's childhood and his later years?
(a) His writing.
(b) His fascination with Elves.
(c) His education.
(d) His enjoyment of stories.
12. What two months are Letters #146, 147, and 148 written in?
(a) August and September.
(b) November and December.
(c) June and July.
(d) February and March.
13. What year does Tolkien write to his publisher with his thoughts on the original cover designs?
14. How does Tolkien describe Gandalf in Letter #246?
15. According to the information in Letter #182, what position does Tolkien now have?
(a) Department Coordinator.
(b) Department Chair.
(c) Associate Professor.
(d) Senior Professor.
Short Answer Questions
1. Besides his complaint in "Later Years", how many other times in the book so far has Tolkien complained about the spelling changes made by the editorial staff of a publishing company?
2. Which novel was being made into a paperback, prompting the debate over spelling in Letter #236?
3. In his letter to D. Auden in "The Lord of the Rings Are Published," why does Tolkien think his work is published?
4. Based on the information provided by Tolkien in Letter #261, which Ireland Province was C.S. Lewis from?
5. Which book began as a story that Tolkien created to read to his children?
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)