|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Tolkien's age when he writes Letter #253?
(a) He is in his sixties.
(b) He is in his eighties.
(c) He is in his nineties.
(d) He is in his seventies.
2. What is the main subject of Letters #146, 147, and 148?
(a) Getting the books into their published form.
(b) Rewriting the endings of the books.
(c) Rewriting the beginnings of the books.
(d) Getting enough advance copies of the book available.
3. In a letter to W.H. Auden, where does Tolkien reveal his work as a professor originates from?
(a) The recommendation of a friend.
(b) An accidental job interview.
(c) His actual interests.
(d) His value of the English language.
4. In what year does Tolkien write about a piece of fan mail that boosts his spirits in "The Final Letters"?
5. What book has Tolkien recently completed when he writes a letter to W.H. Auden that is included in "To Anne Barrett of Houghton Mifflin Co."?
(a) The Lord of the Rings.
(b) The Silmarillion.
(c) The Return of the King.
(d) Unfinished Tales.
6. What year does Tolkien write a long letter to Jane Neave that is included in "Later Years"?
7. What is the only date found on Letter #182?
(a) January, 1956.
(b) June, 1955.
8. When does Tolkien begin using a typewriter for his letters?
(a) April 1966.
(b) July 1964.
(c) July 1963.
(d) April 1965.
9. How long does it take Tolkien to get his story about The Lord of the Rings published, according to Letter #159?
(a) Two years.
(b) Several years.
(c) Three years.
(d) One year.
10. How does Tolkien react to the original cover designs that he is sent for his books?
(a) He is unhappy with them.
(b) He likes them overall, but has a few suggestions.
(c) He does not understand them.
(d) He is very happy with them.
11. According to his letters, how does Tolkien consider his experience with the publisher about the cover designs?
12. When is Letter #159 dated?
(a) July 30, 1953.
(b) October 30, 1956.
(c) April 3, 1954.
(d) March 3, 1955.
13. Based on the information provided by Tolkien in Letter #261, which Ireland Province was C.S. Lewis from?
14. In Tolkien as "The Old Man," which dictionary does Tolkien reveal he worked for earlier in his life?
(d) American Heritage.
15. Which two characters have a dynamic that Tolkien thinks has a great effect on the events in The Lord of Rings?
(a) Gandalf and Sauron.
(b) Frodo and Gandalf.
(c) Gandalf and Gollum.
(d) Frodo and Gollum.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which one of the following is a topic of discussion in Letter #150 to Christopher?
2. How do the Belgians describe Tolkien in Letter #165?
3. How does Tolkien respond to C.S. Lewis' use of the name Numenor in one of his stories?
4. How long before Tolkien's death is the last letter of the book written?
5. As Tolkien explains in Letter #246, what is the main difference between Gandalf and Sauron?
This section contains 527 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)