|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which school is Tolkien attending when the first letter begins?
2. Who provides the main order of the letters included in the book?
(a) Christopher Tolkien.
(b) J.R.R. Tolkien.
(c) Humphrey Carpenter.
(d) Edith Bratt.
3. How does Tolkien describe the alteration he is contemplating making to his manuscript in Letter #128?
4. What words does Tolkien use to replace "Elves"?
(a) Elfen and Elven.
(b) Elf and Elven.
(c) Elf, Elfen, and Elven.
(d) Elf and Elfen.
5. Where does the conversation about accents take place that Tolkien discusses in his letter to Christopher?
(a) In a car.
(b) On a plane.
(c) In a boat.
(d) On a train.
6. What German word meaning "essential" does Tolkien refer to in Letter #6, stating that it is actually viewed as an English word?
7. Which one of the following best describes Tolkien's recount of the history surrounding his poem in "Publisher Drama"?
8. In what month does Tolkien write to Christopher about the writing process for The Hobbit?
9. In Letter, #6, to what college subject does Tolkien refer?
(b) English Literature.
(d) Middle English.
10. Who is the initial publisher for Tolkien's books when "Publisher Drama" begins?
11. Which one of Tolkien's books explains the history of Elvenkind?
(a) The Hobbit.
(b) The Lord of the Rings.
(c) The Silmarillion.
(d) The Legend of Sigurd and Gudrún.
12. In what year does Tolkien become disturbed by the length of time to publish The Lord of the Rings trilogy and The Silmarillion?
13. In describing the power of the pen, what aspect of fiction writing does Tolkien refer to when explaining his own writing process and the way he invents characters?
(a) The extensive reading of other fiction done before writing.
(b) The extensive research done before writing.
(c) The predictability of it.
(d) The unpredictability of it.
14. What invention does Tolkien make when writing the poem being discussed with Unwin?
(a) A new world.
(b) A new word.
(c) A new meter.
(d) A new genre.
15. How old is J.R.R. Tolkien in the first letter?
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the Hobbits respond to magic in Tolkien's stories?
2. Who leads The Enemy in Tolkien's stories?
3. Which of the following is the main focal point of The Silmarillion?
4. How does Tolkien describe the domestic problems he is having in a letter before he moves to a small house?
5. As mentioned in Letter #66, why does Tolkien think that he will have to move some of the sections of his book?
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)