|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Tolkien consider the term "Elves"?
(a) He thinks it is senseless.
(b) He thinks it is undefined.
(c) He thinks it is misleading.
(d) He thinks it is amusing.
2. Which of the following is the main thing that separates the Hobbits and the enemy?
(a) The quest for gold.
(b) A lack of knowledge.
(c) A misunderstanding.
(d) The quest for power.
3. Where is the man whose accent Tolkien refers to as "English after being wiped over with a dirty sponge" from?
(c) New Hampshire.
(d) New England.
4. In general, why do Tolkien and C.S. Lewis meet several times?
(a) To edit each other's manuscripts.
(b) To discuss sports and politics.
(c) To give each other literary criticism.
(d) To play games.
5. What words does Tolkien use to replace "Elves"?
(a) Elf, Elfen, and Elven.
(b) Elf and Elfen.
(c) Elfen and Elven.
(d) Elf and Elven.
6. Why does Tolkien's new publisher need a summary of the books?
(a) To use for copyrighting the work.
(b) To include on the inside cover.
(c) To include on the back cover.
(d) To use for publicity.
7. What two factors contribute to the main part of Letter #66 to Christopher?
(a) Real life and the idea of living in an imaginary world.
(b) Fiction and the idea of living in an imaginary world.
(c) Real life and the writing of an imaginary world.
(d) Fiction and the writing of an imaginary world.
8. How does Tolkien feel when he looks at his work in the revision stages?
9. How does Tolkien think children will respond to Farmer Giles of Ham?
(a) He encourages them not to read it.
(b) They will not like it.
(c) They might like it.
(d) They will not understand it.
10. Who does Tolkien say are the only people interested in reading his literary works in Letter #115?
(a) Only C.S. Lewis.
(b) C.S. Lewis and his son.
(c) C.S. Lewis and his wife.
(d) Only his wife and son.
11. Which of the following is the main focal point of The Silmarillion?
12. With whom does Tolkien work in order to avoid the responsibilities of chairing the English department?
(a) The department supervisor.
(d) The dean.
13. What is causing the culture of the Elves to suffer?
(a) The limited education.
(b) The abundance of different cultures.
(c) The lack of resources.
(d) The psychological effects of their immortality.
14. How is the Machine described in Letter #131?
(a) Industrialized and disciplined.
(b) Disciplined, but not industrialized.
(c) Neither disciplined nor industrialized.
(d) Industrialized, but undisciplined.
15. How often does Tolkien write to Edith during the time they are separated?
(a) Once a week.
(c) Once a month.
(d) Once a day.
Short Answer Questions
1. In describing the power of the pen, what aspect of fiction writing does Tolkien refer to when explaining his own writing process and the way he invents characters?
2. Which school is Tolkien attending when the first letter begins?
3. How does Tolkien design the book, Farmer Giles of Ham?
4. When does the history of the Elves begin?
5. Which character does Tolkien indicate has gained the most power by wearing the Ring?
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)