|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Tolkien's new publisher need a summary of the books?
(a) To use for copyrighting the work.
(b) To use for publicity.
(c) To include on the inside cover.
(d) To include on the back cover.
2. Who participates in the Machine?
(c) Mortals, Elves, and Hobbits.
3. What assertion does Tolkien make about Farmer Giles of Ham?
(a) It is a children's book.
(b) It is not a children's book.
(c) It is an unfinished work.
(d) It is his longest work to date.
4. What does Tolkien explain he uses in developing his fascination with imaginary worlds?
(a) His abilities and sense of humor.
(b) His skills and sense of humor.
(c) His skills and abilities.
(d) His skills, abilities, and sense of humor.
5. What German word meaning "essential" does Tolkien refer to in Letter #6, stating that it is actually viewed as an English word?
6. Who does Tolkien express gratitude to in Letter #6?
(a) Mrs. C.S. White.
(b) Mrs. C.S. Wright.
(c) Mrs. E.M. White.
(d) Mrs. E.M. Wright.
7. How many times do the Elves and the Dwarves share an enduring friendship throughout their history?
(a) Three times.
(c) Four times.
8. In Letter #130, what distinction does Tolkien make about the artificial languages he creates for his books?
(a) They are never used in real life.
(b) They are a combination of two real-life languages.
(c) They are the opposite of an actual real life language.
(d) They are seldom used in real life.
9. Who leads The Enemy in Tolkien's stories?
(c) The Nazgul.
10. According to Tolkien in Letter #131, what is the source of magic in his stories?
(a) The Machine and the Elves.
(b) Only the Machine.
(c) Neither the Machine nor the Elves.
(d) Only the Elves.
11. With whom does Tolkien work in order to avoid the responsibilities of chairing the English department?
(b) The dean.
(d) The department supervisor.
12. In what year does Tolkien become disturbed by the length of time to publish The Lord of the Rings trilogy and The Silmarillion?
13. How does Tolkien think children will respond to Farmer Giles of Ham?
(a) They might like it.
(b) They will not like it.
(c) He encourages them not to read it.
(d) They will not understand it.
14. What does Tolkien suggest is the greatest resource for the information the schoolboy is seeking in Letter #114?
(a) The Silmarillion.
(b) Beowulf: The Monsters and the Critics.
(c) The Hobbit.
(d) The Lord of the Rings.
15. How many other men are traveling with Tolkien during his conversation about accents?
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the Machine described in Letter #131?
2. As stated in "The Professor," when are The Lord of the Rings books officially published?
3. What words does Tolkien use to replace "Elves"?
4. Who is the person that Tolkien thanks, and is the recipient of Letter #130?
5. What is causing the culture of the Elves to suffer?
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)