|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much time has passed between Tolkien's initial idea for drawing maps and when it becomes an issue with a publisher?
(a) Over a decade.
(b) Four years.
(c) Eight years.
(d) A decade.
2. Whom does Tolkien originally ask to draw maps for the imaginary world of <i>The Lord of the Rings</i>?
(b) A professional illustrator.
(c) A friend.
3. How does Tolkien think children will respond to <i>Farmer Giles of Ham</i>?
(a) They will not like it.
(b) They might like it.
(c) They will not understand it.
(d) He encourages them not to read it.
4. How old is J.R.R. Tolkien in the first letter?
5. Which one of the following does Tolkien vigorously discuss in his letters?
(a) Reading academic books.
(b) Talking with students.
(c) Grading papers.
(d) Reporting to class on time.
6. What invention does Tolkien make when writing the poem being discussed with Unwin?
(a) A new meter.
(b) A new word.
(c) A new genre.
(d) A new world.
7. What does Tolkien focus on when his books make less than anticipated progress with publishers?
(a) Writing to the publishers.
(b) His family.
(c) Writing other books.
(d) His teaching job.
8. How do the Hobbits respond to magic in Tolkien's stories?
(a) They try to ignore it.
(b) They are angered by it.
(c) They are amused by it.
(d) They are confused by it.
9. What issue does a woman's presence raise for Tolkien in "Publisher Drama"?
(a) The spoken word vs. the written word.
(b) Novels vs. poems.
(c) Published works vs. unpublished works.
(d) Poems vs. short stories.
10. How many improvements does Tolkien indicate he has made to the manuscript for <i>Farmer Giles of Ham</i>?
(a) Too many to count.
(c) Only a few.
11. What does Tolkien offer to the schoolboy in Letter #114?
(a) Early copies of documents.
(b) An encyclopedia set.
(c) Monogrammed stationery.
(d) The first draft of a never released manuscript.
12. Who leads The Enemy in Tolkien's stories?
(d) The Nazgul.
13. How long does Tolkien indicate he has been working with the imaginary realms in Letter #130?
14. How many academic articles is Tolkien a writer for, as referred to in "The Professor"?
(a) Over twenty.
(b) At least twenty.
(c) At least ten.
(d) At least one.
15. What happens to the wearer of the One Ring in Tolkien's story?
(a) They are transformed into a Hobbit.
(b) They are transformed into an Elf.
(c) They are given immortality.
(d) They are given mind powers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Tolkien found in his manuscript when he writes Letter #69?
2. Which poem does Rayner Unwin initially write to Tolkien about?
3. How does Tolkien design the book, <i>Farmer Giles of Ham</i>?
4. Who provides the main order of the letters included in the book?
5. After the Hobbits originate, where does the Dark Power that Tolkien describes in Letter #131 exist?
This section contains 502 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)