|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During the time these letters are written, what term do the British typically use to label Americans?
(c) City folk.
2. How much of The Silmarillion takes place before the arrival of human beings?
(a) Very little of it.
(b) None of it.
(c) The majority of it.
(d) All of it.
3. What does Tolkien offer to the schoolboy in Letter #114?
(a) The first draft of a never released manuscript.
(b) An encyclopedia set.
(c) Monogrammed stationery.
(d) Early copies of documents.
4. What words does Tolkien use to replace "Elves"?
(a) Elf, Elfen, and Elven.
(b) Elf and Elven.
(c) Elf and Elfen.
(d) Elfen and Elven.
5. Why does Tolkien's new publisher need a summary of the books?
(a) To use for copyrighting the work.
(b) To include on the inside cover.
(c) To include on the back cover.
(d) To use for publicity.
6. According to the information provided in Letter #69, how often does Tolkien write to Christopher?
(c) It is not clear.
7. What do the letters selected for "To Unwin about The Hobbit" have in common?
(a) They refer to Tolkien's least known works.
(b) They refer to Tolkien's most well known works.
(c) They are all over five pages.
(d) They are all less than one-page long.
8. What happens to the wearer of the One Ring in Tolkien's story?
(a) They are given immortality.
(b) They are given mind powers.
(c) They are transformed into a Hobbit.
(d) They are transformed into an Elf.
9. What happens when Tolkien first decides to approach the publishers about the delay of the books?
(a) The publishers provide a list of excuses.
(b) The publishers do not respond.
(c) The publishers decline to publish them.
(d) The publishers take even more time.
10. What is the term "galleys" used to refer to in "The Professor"?
(a) Advance posters advertising a book.
(b) Advance copies of a printed book.
(c) Reviews for a book.
(d) Chapter summaries for a book.
11. How does Tolkien think children will respond to Farmer Giles of Ham?
(a) They will not like it.
(b) They will not understand it.
(c) They might like it.
(d) He encourages them not to read it.
12. Whom does Tolkien originally ask to draw maps for the imaginary world of The Lord of the Rings?
(b) A professional illustrator.
(d) A friend.
13. How many academic articles is Tolkien a writer for, as referred to in "The Professor"?
(a) At least twenty.
(b) At least ten.
(c) At least one.
(d) Over twenty.
14. After the Hobbits originate, where does the Dark Power that Tolkien describes in Letter #131 exist?
15. Which poem does Rayner Unwin initially write to Tolkien about?
(b) "Once Upon a Time."
(d) "The Princess Ni."
Short Answer Questions
1. How long is the summary that Tolkien's new publisher asks him to write at the end of "Publisher Drama"?
2. In general, why do Tolkien and C.S. Lewis meet several times?
3. Which one of the following best describes Tolkien's recount of the history surrounding his poem in "Publisher Drama"?
4. How does Tolkien design the book, Farmer Giles of Ham?
5. How does Tolkien originally respond to Unwin's request about the poem?
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)