|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Tolkien say are the only people interested in reading his literary works in Letter #115?
(a) C.S. Lewis and his wife.
(b) Only C.S. Lewis.
(c) C.S. Lewis and his son.
(d) Only his wife and son.
2. What happens when Tolkien first decides to approach the publishers about the delay of the books?
(a) The publishers do not respond.
(b) The publishers decline to publish them.
(c) The publishers take even more time.
(d) The publishers provide a list of excuses.
3. In Letter #131, what reason does Tolkien reveal for creating his alternate world of fiction?
(a) To provide an example for how a society should be constructed.
(b) To recreate a world that he had read about as a child.
(c) To fill the English people's need for their own fairy tale.
(d) To make a world that is completely unbelievable in every way.
4. What happens to the wearer of the One Ring in Tolkien's story?
(a) They are transformed into an Elf.
(b) They are given mind powers.
(c) They are given immortality.
(d) They are transformed into a Hobbit.
5. How does Tolkien consider the term "Elves"?
(a) He thinks it is amusing.
(b) He thinks it is undefined.
(c) He thinks it is misleading.
(d) He thinks it is senseless.
6. How long is Tolkien separated from Edith, making his affection for her grow stronger?
(a) Four years.
(b) Three years.
(c) Two years.
(d) One year.
7. Which school is Tolkien attending when the first letter begins?
8. How long does Tolkien indicate he has been working with the imaginary realms in Letter #130?
9. What issue does a woman's presence raise for Tolkien in "Publisher Drama"?
(a) Poems vs. short stories.
(b) The spoken word vs. the written word.
(c) Novels vs. poems.
(d) Published works vs. unpublished works.
10. How many academic articles is Tolkien a writer for, as referred to in "The Professor"?
(a) At least twenty.
(b) At least ten.
(c) At least one.
(d) Over twenty.
11. Which one of the following does Tolkien vigorously discuss in his letters?
(a) Grading papers.
(b) Talking with students.
(c) Reporting to class on time.
(d) Reading academic books.
12. How do the Hobbits respond to magic in Tolkien's stories?
(a) They are confused by it.
(b) They try to ignore it.
(c) They are angered by it.
(d) They are amused by it.
13. What assertion does Tolkien make about Farmer Giles of Ham?
(a) It is a children's book.
(b) It is an unfinished work.
(c) It is his longest work to date.
(d) It is not a children's book.
14. What request is made of Tolkien after he finishes Farmer Giles of Ham?
(a) That he remove two of the characters.
(b) That he adds to the ending to make it more complete.
(c) That he write more stories to make a large volume.
(d) That he edit some of the book to make it shorter.
15. What invention does Tolkien make when writing the poem being discussed with Unwin?
(a) A new meter.
(b) A new word.
(c) A new world.
(d) A new genre.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two factors contribute to the main part of Letter #66 to Christopher?
2. What German word meaning "essential" does Tolkien refer to in Letter #6, stating that it is actually viewed as an English word?
3. Based on the information in the Introduction, how many chapters does the book have?
4. What is the only thing capable of destroying the Ring in Tolkien's story?
5. Which character does Tolkien indicate has gained the most power by wearing the Ring?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)