|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What words does Tolkien use to replace "Elves"?
(a) Elf and Elven.
(b) Elf, Elfen, and Elven.
(c) Elf and Elfen.
(d) Elfen and Elven.
2. Which school is Tolkien attending when the first letter begins?
3. How does Tolkien think children will respond to Farmer Giles of Ham?
(a) He encourages them not to read it.
(b) They will not like it.
(c) They will not understand it.
(d) They might like it.
4. As mentioned in Letter #66, why does Tolkien think that he will have to move some of the sections of his book?
(a) They are too long.
(b) They do not have the same writing style as the other sections.
(c) They do not fit in with the storyline.
(d) They are too short.
5. What happens to the wearer of the One Ring in Tolkien's story?
(a) They are transformed into a Hobbit.
(b) They are given immortality.
(c) They are transformed into an Elf.
(d) They are given mind powers.
6. During the time these letters are written, what term do the British typically use to label Americans?
(c) City folk.
7. What two factors contribute to the main part of Letter #66 to Christopher?
(a) Fiction and the idea of living in an imaginary world.
(b) Real life and the idea of living in an imaginary world.
(c) Fiction and the writing of an imaginary world.
(d) Real life and the writing of an imaginary world.
8. What does Tolkien explain he uses in developing his fascination with imaginary worlds?
(a) His skills and abilities.
(b) His abilities and sense of humor.
(c) His skills and sense of humor.
(d) His skills, abilities, and sense of humor.
9. How many Rings of Power does the One Ring control?
10. What assertion does Tolkien make about Farmer Giles of Ham?
(a) It is an unfinished work.
(b) It is a children's book.
(c) It is his longest work to date.
(d) It is not a children's book.
11. How long does Tolkien indicate he has been working with the imaginary realms in Letter #130?
12. In Letter, #6, to what college subject does Tolkien refer?
(b) English Literature.
(c) Middle English.
13. What is Allen & Unwin?
(a) A law firm.
(b) A printing service.
(c) A bank.
(d) A publishing house.
14. Who leads The Enemy in Tolkien's stories?
(d) The Nazgul.
15. Which one of Tolkien's books explains the history of Elvenkind?
(a) The Hobbit.
(b) The Lord of the Rings.
(c) The Silmarillion.
(d) The Legend of Sigurd and Gudrún.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much of The Silmarillion takes place before the arrival of human beings?
2. How does Tolkien feel when he looks at his work in the revision stages?
3. What point does Tolkien make about his book, The Silmarillion, in Letter #131?
4. In Letter #27, which of the following does Tolkien say that he will leave the drawing of to someone who can draw ?
5. Based on the information in the Introduction, how many chapters does the book have?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)