|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the only thing capable of destroying the Ring in Tolkien's story?
(a) A special type of fire.
(b) The water from a specific river.
(c) A certain magical spell.
(d) The power generated from another ring.
2. How is the Machine described in Letter #131?
(a) Industrialized, but undisciplined.
(b) Neither disciplined nor industrialized.
(c) Industrialized and disciplined.
(d) Disciplined, but not industrialized.
3. As Tolkien explains in Letter #131, what motivates The Enemy in his stories?
(a) Complicated intentions.
(b) Unknown intentions.
(c) Evil intentions.
(d) Good intentions.
4. In Letter #130, what distinction does Tolkien make about the artificial languages he creates for his books?
(a) They are seldom used in real life.
(b) They are never used in real life.
(c) They are a combination of two real-life languages.
(d) They are the opposite of an actual real life language.
5. By what year does Tolkien insist that his books be published with his new publisher?
6. What will the alteration mean for the book Tolkien is writing in Letter #128?
(a) It will be designed not to have a sequel.
(b) It will be meant not to be read by children.
(c) It will be designed to have a sequel.
(d) It will be meant to be read by children.
7. Where does the conversation about accents take place that Tolkien discusses in his letter to Christopher?
(a) On a plane.
(b) In a car.
(c) In a boat.
(d) On a train.
8. Which one of the following best describes Tolkien's recount of the history surrounding his poem in "Publisher Drama"?
9. What happens to the wearer of the One Ring in Tolkien's story?
(a) They are transformed into an Elf.
(b) They are transformed into a Hobbit.
(c) They are given mind powers.
(d) They are given immortality.
10. Which poem does Rayner Unwin initially write to Tolkien about?
(a) "Once Upon a Time."
(d) "The Princess Ni."
11. What is left out of the letters included in "To Unwin about The Hobbit"?
(a) The endings of the letters.
(b) Months and dates.
(c) Personal information.
(d) The full names of the people that the letters are addressed to.
12. How often does Tolkien write to Edith during the time they are separated?
(b) Once a month.
(c) Once a week.
(d) Once a day.
13. According to the information provided in Letter #69, how often does Tolkien write to Christopher?
(c) It is not clear.
14. In Letter, #6, to what college subject does Tolkien refer?
(b) Middle English.
(d) English Literature.
15. As mentioned in Letter #66, why does Tolkien think that he will have to move some of the sections of his book?
(a) They are too long.
(b) They do not have the same writing style as the other sections.
(c) They are too short.
(d) They do not fit in with the storyline.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much time has passed between Tolkien's initial idea for drawing maps and when it becomes an issue with a publisher?
2. In general, why do Tolkien and C.S. Lewis meet several times?
3. What does Tolkien suggest is the greatest resource for the information the schoolboy is seeking in Letter #114?
4. What chapter of the book that Tolkien is working on is he considering altering in Letter #128?
5. What is the term "galleys" used to refer to in "The Professor"?
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)