|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who provides the main order of the letters included in the book?
(a) Christopher Tolkien.
(b) Edith Bratt.
(c) Humphrey Carpenter.
(d) J.R.R. Tolkien.
2. In Letter #130, what distinction does Tolkien make about the artificial languages he creates for his books?
(a) They are never used in real life.
(b) They are a combination of two real-life languages.
(c) They are the opposite of an actual real life language.
(d) They are seldom used in real life.
3. Which school is Tolkien attending when the first letter begins?
4. What happens to the wearer of the One Ring in Tolkien's story?
(a) They are transformed into an Elf.
(b) They are given mind powers.
(c) They are transformed into a Hobbit.
(d) They are given immortality.
5. How often does Tolkien write to Edith during the time they are separated?
(a) Once a day.
(b) Once a month.
(c) Once a week.
6. In Letter #131, what reason does Tolkien reveal for creating his alternate world of fiction?
(a) To provide an example for how a society should be constructed.
(b) To fill the English people's need for their own fairy tale.
(c) To recreate a world that he had read about as a child.
(d) To make a world that is completely unbelievable in every way.
7. How many other men are traveling with Tolkien during his conversation about accents?
8. During the time these letters are written, what term do the British typically use to label Americans?
(c) City folk.
9. Which character does Tolkien indicate has gained the most power by wearing the Ring?
(a) The Witch-king of Angmar.
10. In describing the power of the pen, what aspect of fiction writing does Tolkien refer to when explaining his own writing process and the way he invents characters?
(a) The predictability of it.
(b) The unpredictability of it.
(c) The extensive research done before writing.
(d) The extensive reading of other fiction done before writing.
11. Which of the following is the main focal point of The Silmarillion?
12. Which poem does Rayner Unwin initially write to Tolkien about?
(a) "The Princess Ni."
(c) "Once Upon a Time."
13. In general, why do Tolkien and C.S. Lewis meet several times?
(a) To discuss sports and politics.
(b) To edit each other's manuscripts.
(c) To give each other literary criticism.
(d) To play games.
14. How long is Tolkien separated from Edith, making his affection for her grow stronger?
(a) Four years.
(b) One year.
(c) Three years.
(d) Two years.
15. In what year does Tolkien become disturbed by the length of time to publish The Lord of the Rings trilogy and The Silmarillion?
Short Answer Questions
1. As stated in the letters included in "Publisher Drama," how many times does Tolkien have the chance to use the poetic invention he makes?
2. What do the letters selected for "To Unwin about The Hobbit" have in common?
3. How much of The Silmarillion takes place before the arrival of human beings?
4. Based on the information in the Introduction, how many chapters does the book have?
5. What chapter of the book that Tolkien is working on is he considering altering in Letter #128?
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)