|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What invention does Tolkien make when writing the poem being discussed with Unwin?
(a) A new meter.
(b) A new word.
(c) A new world.
(d) A new genre.
2. Which poem does Rayner Unwin initially write to Tolkien about?
(b) "The Princess Ni."
(c) "Once Upon a Time."
3. What happens when Tolkien first decides to approach the publishers about the delay of the books?
(a) The publishers do not respond.
(b) The publishers provide a list of excuses.
(c) The publishers take even more time.
(d) The publishers decline to publish them.
4. What issue does a woman's presence raise for Tolkien in "Publisher Drama"?
(a) Published works vs. unpublished works.
(b) Poems vs. short stories.
(c) Novels vs. poems.
(d) The spoken word vs. the written word.
5. After the Hobbits originate, where does the Dark Power that Tolkien describes in Letter #131 exist?
6. What does Tolkien suggest is the greatest resource for the information the schoolboy is seeking in Letter #114?
(a) The Silmarillion.
(b) The Hobbit.
(c) The Lord of the Rings.
(d) Beowulf: The Monsters and the Critics.
7. How does Tolkien design the book, Farmer Giles of Ham?
(a) To be read in one sitting.
(b) To be read as several separate stories.
(c) To be read aloud.
(d) Not to be read aloud.
8. According to Tolkien in Letter #131, what is the source of magic in his stories?
(a) Only the Elves.
(b) Only the Machine.
(c) Neither the Machine nor the Elves.
(d) The Machine and the Elves.
9. In what year does Tolkien become disturbed by the length of time to publish The Lord of the Rings trilogy and The Silmarillion?
10. By what year does Tolkien insist that his books be published with his new publisher?
11. As mentioned by Tolkien in Letter #131, when do the Hobbits first come into being?
(a) The Fourth Age.
(b) The Second Age.
(c) The First Age.
(d) The Third Age.
12. As stated in the letters included in "Publisher Drama," how many times does Tolkien have the chance to use the poetic invention he makes?
(a) Four times.
(b) Three times.
13. How does Tolkien think children will respond to Farmer Giles of Ham?
(a) They will not understand it.
(b) They will not like it.
(c) He encourages them not to read it.
(d) They might like it.
14. Which character does Tolkien indicate has gained the most power by wearing the Ring?
(a) The Witch-king of Angmar.
15. What German word meaning "essential" does Tolkien refer to in Letter #6, stating that it is actually viewed as an English word?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is causing the culture of the Elves to suffer?
2. In general, why do Tolkien and C.S. Lewis meet several times?
3. What is Allen & Unwin?
4. How does Tolkien originally respond to Unwin's request about the poem?
5. What happens to the wearer of the One Ring in Tolkien's story?
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)