|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is left out of the letters included in "To Unwin about <i>The Hobbit</i>"?
(a) Personal information.
(b) The endings of the letters.
(c) Months and dates.
(d) The full names of the people that the letters are addressed to.
2. How long is Tolkien separated from Edith, making his affection for her grow stronger?
(a) Four years.
(b) Two years.
(c) One year.
(d) Three years.
3. What chapter of the book that Tolkien is working on is he considering altering in Letter #128?
(a) Chapter 3.
(b) Chapter 10.
(c) Chapter 5.
(d) Chapter 8.
4. How old is J.R.R. Tolkien in the first letter?
5. How does Tolkien feel when he looks at his work in the revision stages?
6. Whom does Tolkien originally ask to draw maps for the imaginary world of <i>The Lord of the Rings</i>?
(a) A professional illustrator.
(d) A friend.
7. Where does the friendship between the Elves and the Dwarves that Tolkien refers to in Letter #131 take place?
(a) The Misty Mountains.
(b) Fangorn Forest.
(d) The Shire.
8. What is causing the culture of the Elves to suffer?
(a) The limited education.
(b) The lack of resources.
(c) The psychological effects of their immortality.
(d) The abundance of different cultures.
9. As Tolkien explains in Letter #131, what motivates The Enemy in his stories?
(a) Complicated intentions.
(b) Good intentions.
(c) Unknown intentions.
(d) Evil intentions.
10. Which of the following is the main focal point of <i>The Silmarillion</i>?
11. In Letter #27, which of the following does Tolkien say that he will leave the drawing of to someone who can draw ?
12. As stated in the letters included in "Publisher Drama," how many times does Tolkien have the chance to use the poetic invention he makes?
(b) Four times.
(d) Three times.
13. Who provides the main order of the letters included in the book?
(a) J.R.R. Tolkien.
(b) Humphrey Carpenter.
(c) Edith Bratt.
(d) Christopher Tolkien.
14. In Letter #131, what reason does Tolkien reveal for creating his alternate world of fiction?
(a) To fill the English people's need for their own fairy tale.
(b) To provide an example for how a society should be constructed.
(c) To recreate a world that he had read about as a child.
(d) To make a world that is completely unbelievable in every way.
15. Which poem does Rayner Unwin initially write to Tolkien about?
(c) "The Princess Ni."
(d) "Once Upon a Time."
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Tolkien in Letter #131, what is the source of magic in his stories?
2. What does Tolkien explain he uses in developing his fascination with imaginary worlds?
3. How long is the summary that Tolkien's new publisher asks him to write at the end of "Publisher Drama"?
4. How often does Tolkien write to Edith during the time they are separated?
5. What words does Tolkien use to replace "Elves"?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)