|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the Hobbits respond to magic in Tolkien's stories?
(a) They try to ignore it.
(b) They are amused by it.
(c) They are angered by it.
(d) They are confused by it.
2. Where does the conversation about accents take place that Tolkien discusses in his letter to Christopher?
(a) On a plane.
(b) On a train.
(c) In a boat.
(d) In a car.
3. Who provides the main order of the letters included in the book?
(a) Humphrey Carpenter.
(b) Christopher Tolkien.
(c) J.R.R. Tolkien.
(d) Edith Bratt.
4. What happens when Tolkien first decides to approach the publishers about the delay of the books?
(a) The publishers do not respond.
(b) The publishers provide a list of excuses.
(c) The publishers take even more time.
(d) The publishers decline to publish them.
5. What assertion does Tolkien make about <i>Farmer Giles of Ham</i>?
(a) It is not a children's book.
(b) It is his longest work to date.
(c) It is an unfinished work.
(d) It is a children's book.
6. What is causing the culture of the Elves to suffer?
(a) The lack of resources.
(b) The abundance of different cultures.
(c) The limited education.
(d) The psychological effects of their immortality.
7. How much time has passed between Tolkien's initial idea for drawing maps and when it becomes an issue with a publisher?
(a) Eight years.
(b) Over a decade.
(c) A decade.
(d) Four years.
8. What is the term "galleys" used to refer to in "The Professor"?
(a) Advance posters advertising a book.
(b) Reviews for a book.
(c) Advance copies of a printed book.
(d) Chapter summaries for a book.
9. What point does Tolkien make about his book, <i>The Silmarillion</i>, in Letter #131?
(a) It is about humans.
(b) The themes of the book are intentionally simple.
(c) It is not about humans.
(d) The themes of the book are intentionally complex.
10. How does Tolkien consider the term "Elves"?
(a) He thinks it is misleading.
(b) He thinks it is amusing.
(c) He thinks it is undefined.
(d) He thinks it is senseless.
11. Which of the following is the main thing that separates the Hobbits and the enemy?
(a) The quest for gold.
(b) The quest for power.
(c) A misunderstanding.
(d) A lack of knowledge.
12. How old is J.R.R. Tolkien in the first letter?
13. How long does Tolkien indicate he has been working with the imaginary realms in Letter #130?
14. How many improvements does Tolkien indicate he has made to the manuscript for <i>Farmer Giles of Ham</i>?
(b) Too many to count.
(c) Only a few.
15. How long is the summary that Tolkien's new publisher asks him to write at the end of "Publisher Drama"?
(a) Two-hundred words.
(b) One-hundred words.
(c) Fifty words.
(d) One-hundred-and-fifty words.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the letters selected for "To Unwin about <i>The Hobbit</i>" have in common?
2. Where is the man whose accent Tolkien refers to as "English after being wiped over with a dirty sponge" from?
3. What has Tolkien found in his manuscript when he writes Letter #69?
4. Where does the friendship between the Elves and the Dwarves that Tolkien refers to in Letter #131 take place?
5. What issue does a woman's presence raise for Tolkien in "Publisher Drama"?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)