|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the person that Tolkien thanks, and is the recipient of Letter #130?
(a) George Allen.
(b) Rayner Unwin.
(c) Milton Waldman.
(d) Humphrey Carpenter.
2. What does Tolkien suggest is the greatest resource for the information the schoolboy is seeking in Letter #114?
(a) Beowulf: The Monsters and the Critics.
(b) The Lord of the Rings.
(c) The Silmarillion.
(d) The Hobbit.
3. Which of the following is the main thing that separates the Hobbits and the enemy?
(a) The quest for power.
(b) The quest for gold.
(c) A lack of knowledge.
(d) A misunderstanding.
4. Which one of Tolkien's books explains the history of Elvenkind?
(a) The Hobbit.
(b) The Legend of Sigurd and Gudrún.
(c) The Silmarillion.
(d) The Lord of the Rings.
5. Under what conditions is Tolkien asked to chair an English department in "The Professor"?
6. How does Tolkien describe the domestic problems he is having in a letter before he moves to a small house?
7. By what year does Tolkien insist that his books be published with his new publisher?
8. Where does the friendship between the Elves and the Dwarves that Tolkien refers to in Letter #131 take place?
(a) The Shire.
(b) Fangorn Forest.
(d) The Misty Mountains.
9. Why does Tolkien's new publisher need a summary of the books?
(a) To use for publicity.
(b) To use for copyrighting the work.
(c) To include on the back cover.
(d) To include on the inside cover.
10. How old is J.R.R. Tolkien in the first letter?
11. How many Rings of Power does the One Ring control?
12. With whom does Tolkien work in order to avoid the responsibilities of chairing the English department?
(b) The dean.
(d) The department supervisor.
13. What German word meaning "essential" does Tolkien refer to in Letter #6, stating that it is actually viewed as an English word?
14. How many improvements does Tolkien indicate he has made to the manuscript for Farmer Giles of Ham?
(a) Only a few.
(c) Too many to count.
15. During the time these letters are written, what term do the British typically use to label Americans?
(b) City folk.
Short Answer Questions
1. As mentioned by Tolkien in Letter #131, when do the Hobbits first come into being?
2. What is the result of a friendship between the Elves and the Dwarves, as Tolkien explains in Letter #131?
3. Who is the initial publisher for Tolkien's books when "Publisher Drama" begins?
4. Which of the following is the main focal point of The Silmarillion?
5. In what month does Tolkien write to Christopher about the writing process for The Hobbit?
This section contains 462 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)