|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Tolkien say are the only people interested in reading his literary works in Letter #115?
(a) C.S. Lewis and his son.
(b) Only his wife and son.
(c) C.S. Lewis and his wife.
(d) Only C.S. Lewis.
2. As Tolkien explains in Letter #131, what motivates The Enemy in his stories?
(a) Good intentions.
(b) Complicated intentions.
(c) Unknown intentions.
(d) Evil intentions.
3. As stated in the letters included in "Publisher Drama," how many times does Tolkien have the chance to use the poetic invention he makes?
(c) Four times.
(d) Three times.
4. In general, why do Tolkien and C.S. Lewis meet several times?
(a) To discuss sports and politics.
(b) To play games.
(c) To give each other literary criticism.
(d) To edit each other's manuscripts.
5. What is the result of a friendship between the Elves and the Dwarves, as Tolkien explains in Letter #131?
(a) An improvement in education.
(b) A decline of the arts.
(c) A decline of education.
(d) An improvement in the arts.
6. In describing the power of the pen, what aspect of fiction writing does Tolkien refer to when explaining his own writing process and the way he invents characters?
(a) The extensive reading of other fiction done before writing.
(b) The predictability of it.
(c) The extensive research done before writing.
(d) The unpredictability of it.
7. How does Tolkien respond to the idea of chairing the English department?
(a) He does not entirely understand why he was selected.
(b) He thinks it is terrible.
(c) He is insulted.
(d) He is very appreciative.
8. How many other men are traveling with Tolkien during his conversation about accents?
9. How does Tolkien originally respond to Unwin's request about the poem?
(a) He is indifferent.
(b) He is confused by it.
(c) He is unaware of it.
(d) He is grateful.
10. How does Tolkien describe the writing of <i>The Hobbit</i> to Christopher?
(b) Both easy and difficult.
(c) Neither easy nor difficult.
11. After the Hobbits originate, where does the Dark Power that Tolkien describes in Letter #131 exist?
12. What German word meaning "essential" does Tolkien refer to in Letter #6, stating that it is actually viewed as an English word?
13. How does Tolkien consider the term "Elves"?
(a) He thinks it is senseless.
(b) He thinks it is misleading.
(c) He thinks it is undefined.
(d) He thinks it is amusing.
14. In what month does Tolkien write to Christopher about the writing process for <i>The Hobbit</i>?
15. How many improvements does Tolkien indicate he has made to the manuscript for <i>Farmer Giles of Ham</i>?
(a) Too many to count.
(b) Only a few.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the person that Tolkien thanks, and is the recipient of Letter #130?
2. What issue does a woman's presence raise for Tolkien in "Publisher Drama"?
3. During the time these letters are written, what term do the British typically use to label Americans?
4. As mentioned in Letter #69, which specific part of his manuscript does Tolkien plan on revising?
5. How does Tolkien feel when he looks at his work in the revision stages?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)