|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Tolkien think children will respond to Farmer Giles of Ham?
(a) They will not like it.
(b) They might like it.
(c) They will not understand it.
(d) He encourages them not to read it.
2. How old is J.R.R. Tolkien in the first letter?
3. What is Allen & Unwin?
(a) A printing service.
(b) A law firm.
(c) A bank.
(d) A publishing house.
4. Which one of the following does Tolkien vigorously discuss in his letters?
(a) Talking with students.
(b) Reporting to class on time.
(c) Reading academic books.
(d) Grading papers.
5. Where does the friendship between the Elves and the Dwarves that Tolkien refers to in Letter #131 take place?
(b) Fangorn Forest.
(c) The Shire.
(d) The Misty Mountains.
6. In what year are the earliest letters in the book written?
7. What point does Tolkien make about his book, The Silmarillion, in Letter #131?
(a) It is about humans.
(b) The themes of the book are intentionally simple.
(c) It is not about humans.
(d) The themes of the book are intentionally complex.
8. As stated in "The Professor," when are The Lord of the Rings books officially published?
9. Which school is Tolkien attending when the first letter begins?
10. How much of The Silmarillion takes place before the arrival of human beings?
(a) The majority of it.
(b) Very little of it.
(c) All of it.
(d) None of it.
11. What does Tolkien explain he uses in developing his fascination with imaginary worlds?
(a) His skills and sense of humor.
(b) His skills, abilities, and sense of humor.
(c) His abilities and sense of humor.
(d) His skills and abilities.
12. In Letter #27, which of the following does Tolkien say that he will leave the drawing of to someone who can draw ?
13. What happens to the wearer of the One Ring in Tolkien's story?
(a) They are transformed into a Hobbit.
(b) They are given immortality.
(c) They are given mind powers.
(d) They are transformed into an Elf.
14. Which one of Tolkien's books explains the history of Elvenkind?
(a) The Hobbit.
(b) The Legend of Sigurd and Gudrún.
(c) The Silmarillion.
(d) The Lord of the Rings.
15. How many times do the Elves and the Dwarves share an enduring friendship throughout their history?
(c) Three times.
(d) Four times.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Letter, #6, to what college subject does Tolkien refer?
2. In what year does Tolkien become disturbed by the length of time to publish The Lord of the Rings trilogy and The Silmarillion?
3. How do the Hobbits respond to magic in Tolkien's stories?
4. Under what conditions is Tolkien asked to chair an English department in "The Professor"?
5. In general, why do Tolkien and C.S. Lewis meet several times?
This section contains 477 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)