|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is the main thing that separates the Hobbits and the enemy?
(a) A misunderstanding.
(b) A lack of knowledge.
(c) The quest for power.
(d) The quest for gold.
2. What will the alteration mean for the book Tolkien is writing in Letter #128?
(a) It will be designed not to have a sequel.
(b) It will be designed to have a sequel.
(c) It will be meant to be read by children.
(d) It will be meant not to be read by children.
3. In Letter #27, which of the following does Tolkien say that he will leave the drawing of to someone who can draw ?
4. Under what conditions is Tolkien asked to chair an English department in "The Professor"?
5. In what month does Tolkien write to Christopher about the writing process for The Hobbit?
6. How does Tolkien describe the alteration he is contemplating making to his manuscript in Letter #128?
7. Where is the man whose accent Tolkien refers to as "English after being wiped over with a dirty sponge" from?
(b) New England.
(d) New Hampshire.
8. How much of The Silmarillion takes place before the arrival of human beings?
(a) All of it.
(b) Very little of it.
(c) None of it.
(d) The majority of it.
9. In general, why do Tolkien and C.S. Lewis meet several times?
(a) To play games.
(b) To discuss sports and politics.
(c) To edit each other's manuscripts.
(d) To give each other literary criticism.
10. Who participates in the Machine?
(d) Mortals, Elves, and Hobbits.
11. How many other men are traveling with Tolkien during his conversation about accents?
12. Who is the initial publisher for Tolkien's books when "Publisher Drama" begins?
13. How many times do the Elves and the Dwarves share an enduring friendship throughout their history?
(a) Three times.
(c) Four times.
14. Based on the information in the Introduction, how many chapters does the book have?
15. How many improvements does Tolkien indicate he has made to the manuscript for Farmer Giles of Ham?
(a) Only a few.
(d) Too many to count.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tolkien explain he uses in developing his fascination with imaginary worlds?
2. As stated in the letters included in "Publisher Drama," how many times does Tolkien have the chance to use the poetic invention he makes?
3. How many academic articles is Tolkien a writer for, as referred to in "The Professor"?
4. Which of the following is the main focal point of The Silmarillion?
5. What invention does Tolkien make when writing the poem being discussed with Unwin?
This section contains 487 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)