|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What chapter of the book that Tolkien is working on is he considering altering in Letter #128?
(a) Chapter 5.
(b) Chapter 8.
(c) Chapter 10.
(d) Chapter 3.
2. In Letter, #6, to what college subject does Tolkien refer?
(c) English Literature.
(d) Middle English.
3. How do the Hobbits respond to magic in Tolkien's stories?
(a) They are confused by it.
(b) They are amused by it.
(c) They try to ignore it.
(d) They are angered by it.
4. In general, why do Tolkien and C.S. Lewis meet several times?
(a) To give each other literary criticism.
(b) To edit each other's manuscripts.
(c) To discuss sports and politics.
(d) To play games.
5. What does Tolkien offer to the schoolboy in Letter #114?
(a) An encyclopedia set.
(b) Monogrammed stationery.
(c) The first draft of a never released manuscript.
(d) Early copies of documents.
6. What words does Tolkien use to replace "Elves"?
(a) Elf, Elfen, and Elven.
(b) Elfen and Elven.
(c) Elf and Elven.
(d) Elf and Elfen.
7. Which of the following is the main focal point of The Silmarillion?
8. What is left out of the letters included in "To Unwin about The Hobbit"?
(a) The endings of the letters.
(b) The full names of the people that the letters are addressed to.
(c) Months and dates.
(d) Personal information.
9. In what month does Tolkien write to Christopher about the writing process for The Hobbit?
10. By what year does Tolkien insist that his books be published with his new publisher?
11. How much time has passed between Tolkien's initial idea for drawing maps and when it becomes an issue with a publisher?
(a) Eight years.
(b) Over a decade.
(c) A decade.
(d) Four years.
12. How old is J.R.R. Tolkien in the first letter?
13. How does Tolkien describe the alteration he is contemplating making to his manuscript in Letter #128?
14. What is the term "galleys" used to refer to in "The Professor"?
(a) Chapter summaries for a book.
(b) Advance posters advertising a book.
(c) Reviews for a book.
(d) Advance copies of a printed book.
15. How does Tolkien originally respond to Unwin's request about the poem?
(a) He is indifferent.
(b) He is grateful.
(c) He is unaware of it.
(d) He is confused by it.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long is the summary that Tolkien's new publisher asks him to write at the end of "Publisher Drama"?
2. How many other men are traveling with Tolkien during his conversation about accents?
3. In Letter #27, which of the following does Tolkien say that he will leave the drawing of to someone who can draw ?
4. Who provides input , feedback, and advice for the letters in the book?
5. What happens when Tolkien first decides to approach the publishers about the delay of the books?
This section contains 483 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)