|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tolkien explain he uses in developing his fascination with imaginary worlds?
(a) His skills, abilities, and sense of humor.
(b) His skills and abilities.
(c) His abilities and sense of humor.
(d) His skills and sense of humor.
2. Who is the initial publisher for Tolkien's books when "Publisher Drama" begins?
3. According to Tolkien in Letter #131, what is the source of magic in his stories?
(a) Only the Elves.
(b) Only the Machine.
(c) Neither the Machine nor the Elves.
(d) The Machine and the Elves.
4. How does Tolkien describe the writing of The Hobbit to Christopher?
(b) Neither easy nor difficult.
(d) Both easy and difficult.
5. How does Tolkien originally respond to Unwin's request about the poem?
(a) He is grateful.
(b) He is unaware of it.
(c) He is indifferent.
(d) He is confused by it.
6. During the time these letters are written, what term do the British typically use to label Americans?
(a) City folk.
7. In Letter #130, what distinction does Tolkien make about the artificial languages he creates for his books?
(a) They are the opposite of an actual real life language.
(b) They are never used in real life.
(c) They are seldom used in real life.
(d) They are a combination of two real-life languages.
8. How does Tolkien describe the alteration he is contemplating making to his manuscript in Letter #128?
9. Why does Tolkien's new publisher need a summary of the books?
(a) To use for publicity.
(b) To include on the back cover.
(c) To include on the inside cover.
(d) To use for copyrighting the work.
10. In describing the power of the pen, what aspect of fiction writing does Tolkien refer to when explaining his own writing process and the way he invents characters?
(a) The unpredictability of it.
(b) The extensive reading of other fiction done before writing.
(c) The predictability of it.
(d) The extensive research done before writing.
11. How long is the summary that Tolkien's new publisher asks him to write at the end of "Publisher Drama"?
(a) Two-hundred words.
(b) One-hundred words.
(c) One-hundred-and-fifty words.
(d) Fifty words.
12. In what year are the earliest letters in the book written?
13. How does Tolkien describe the change that he has made to his manuscript in Letter #129?
14. As stated in "The Professor," when are The Lord of the Rings books officially published?
15. After the Hobbits originate, where does the Dark Power that Tolkien describes in Letter #131 exist?
Short Answer Questions
1. What chapter of the book that Tolkien is working on is he considering altering in Letter #128?
2. What does Tolkien suggest is the greatest resource for the information the schoolboy is seeking in Letter #114?
3. In what year does Tolkien become disturbed by the length of time to publish The Lord of the Rings trilogy and The Silmarillion?
4. Where does the conversation about accents take place that Tolkien discusses in his letter to Christopher?
5. Who participates in the Machine?
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)