|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long is Tolkien separated from Edith, making his affection for her grow stronger?
(a) One year.
(b) Four years.
(c) Two years.
(d) Three years.
2. In Letter #27, which of the following does Tolkien say that he will leave the drawing of to someone who can draw ?
3. What chapter of the book that Tolkien is working on is he considering altering in Letter #128?
(a) Chapter 8.
(b) Chapter 5.
(c) Chapter 3.
(d) Chapter 10.
4. Which character does Tolkien indicate has gained the most power by wearing the Ring?
(a) The Witch-king of Angmar.
5. How much of The Silmarillion takes place before the arrival of human beings?
(a) Very little of it.
(b) None of it.
(c) The majority of it.
(d) All of it.
6. Which one of the following does Tolkien vigorously discuss in his letters?
(a) Talking with students.
(b) Grading papers.
(c) Reporting to class on time.
(d) Reading academic books.
7. Where does the conversation about accents take place that Tolkien discusses in his letter to Christopher?
(a) In a boat.
(b) On a plane.
(c) In a car.
(d) On a train.
8. Whom does Tolkien originally ask to draw maps for the imaginary world of The Lord of the Rings?
(c) A professional illustrator.
(d) A friend.
9. What request is made of Tolkien after he finishes Farmer Giles of Ham?
(a) That he edit some of the book to make it shorter.
(b) That he adds to the ending to make it more complete.
(c) That he remove two of the characters.
(d) That he write more stories to make a large volume.
10. As stated in the letters included in "Publisher Drama," how many times does Tolkien have the chance to use the poetic invention he makes?
(b) Four times.
(d) Three times.
11. In describing the power of the pen, what aspect of fiction writing does Tolkien refer to when explaining his own writing process and the way he invents characters?
(a) The extensive reading of other fiction done before writing.
(b) The predictability of it.
(c) The extensive research done before writing.
(d) The unpredictability of it.
12. How often does Tolkien write to Edith during the time they are separated?
(a) Once a month.
(b) Once a week.
(c) Once a day.
13. Who does Tolkien say are the only people interested in reading his literary works in Letter #115?
(a) C.S. Lewis and his son.
(b) C.S. Lewis and his wife.
(c) Only C.S. Lewis.
(d) Only his wife and son.
14. What is the only thing capable of destroying the Ring in Tolkien's story?
(a) The water from a specific river.
(b) A special type of fire.
(c) A certain magical spell.
(d) The power generated from another ring.
15. What assertion does Tolkien make about Farmer Giles of Ham?
(a) It is his longest work to date.
(b) It is an unfinished work.
(c) It is a children's book.
(d) It is not a children's book.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two factors contribute to the main part of Letter #66 to Christopher?
2. How much time has passed between Tolkien's initial idea for drawing maps and when it becomes an issue with a publisher?
3. What invention does Tolkien make when writing the poem being discussed with Unwin?
4. According to the information provided in Letter #69, how often does Tolkien write to Christopher?
5. How many academic articles is Tolkien a writer for, as referred to in "The Professor"?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)