|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Letter, #6, to what college subject does Tolkien refer?
(b) Middle English.
(d) English Literature.
2. Who does Tolkien express gratitude to in Letter #6?
(a) Mrs. E.M. White.
(b) Mrs. E.M. Wright.
(c) Mrs. C.S. Wright.
(d) Mrs. C.S. White.
3. What issue does a woman's presence raise for Tolkien in "Publisher Drama"?
(a) Novels vs. poems.
(b) The spoken word vs. the written word.
(c) Published works vs. unpublished works.
(d) Poems vs. short stories.
4. When does the history of the Elves begin?
(a) Just after humanity.
(b) Just before humanity.
(c) Long after humanity.
(d) Long before humanity.
5. Which one of the following does Tolkien vigorously discuss in his letters?
(a) Grading papers.
(b) Reporting to class on time.
(c) Reading academic books.
(d) Talking with students.
6. Who does Tolkien say are the only people interested in reading his literary works in Letter #115?
(a) C.S. Lewis and his wife.
(b) Only his wife and son.
(c) C.S. Lewis and his son.
(d) Only C.S. Lewis.
7. How long does Tolkien indicate he has been working with the imaginary realms in Letter #130?
8. What request is made of Tolkien after he finishes Farmer Giles of Ham?
(a) That he edit some of the book to make it shorter.
(b) That he adds to the ending to make it more complete.
(c) That he write more stories to make a large volume.
(d) That he remove two of the characters.
9. Which one of Tolkien's books explains the history of Elvenkind?
(a) The Legend of Sigurd and Gudrún.
(b) The Lord of the Rings.
(c) The Silmarillion.
(d) The Hobbit.
10. How does Tolkien consider the term "Elves"?
(a) He thinks it is undefined.
(b) He thinks it is amusing.
(c) He thinks it is misleading.
(d) He thinks it is senseless.
11. As mentioned in Letter #66, why does Tolkien think that he will have to move some of the sections of his book?
(a) They do not fit in with the storyline.
(b) They do not have the same writing style as the other sections.
(c) They are too long.
(d) They are too short.
12. How does Tolkien respond to the idea of chairing the English department?
(a) He thinks it is terrible.
(b) He does not entirely understand why he was selected.
(c) He is very appreciative.
(d) He is insulted.
13. Where does the conversation about accents take place that Tolkien discusses in his letter to Christopher?
(a) In a boat.
(b) On a plane.
(c) On a train.
(d) In a car.
14. How does Tolkien think children will respond to Farmer Giles of Ham?
(a) They will not like it.
(b) They might like it.
(c) They will not understand it.
(d) He encourages them not to read it.
15. How long is Tolkien separated from Edith, making his affection for her grow stronger?
(a) Four years.
(b) Three years.
(c) Two years.
(d) One year.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which poem does Rayner Unwin initially write to Tolkien about?
2. How old is J.R.R. Tolkien in the first letter?
3. In Letter #131, what reason does Tolkien reveal for creating his alternate world of fiction?
4. Where does the friendship between the Elves and the Dwarves that Tolkien refers to in Letter #131 take place?
5. In what year does Tolkien become disturbed by the length of time to publish The Lord of the Rings trilogy and The Silmarillion?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)