|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many Rings of Power does the One Ring control?
2. How long does Tolkien indicate he has been working with the imaginary realms in Letter #130?
3. How does Tolkien describe the change that he has made to his manuscript in Letter #129?
4. How is the Machine described in Letter #131?
(a) Neither disciplined nor industrialized.
(b) Disciplined, but not industrialized.
(c) Industrialized and disciplined.
(d) Industrialized, but undisciplined.
5. Which school is Tolkien attending when the first letter begins?
6. How much time has passed between Tolkien's initial idea for drawing maps and when it becomes an issue with a publisher?
(a) Over a decade.
(b) Eight years.
(c) A decade.
(d) Four years.
7. What German word meaning "essential" does Tolkien refer to in Letter #6, stating that it is actually viewed as an English word?
8. Who does Tolkien express gratitude to in Letter #6?
(a) Mrs. C.S. White.
(b) Mrs. E.M. Wright.
(c) Mrs. E.M. White.
(d) Mrs. C.S. Wright.
9. Where does the conversation about accents take place that Tolkien discusses in his letter to Christopher?
(a) On a train.
(b) In a car.
(c) In a boat.
(d) On a plane.
10. In Letter #131, what reason does Tolkien reveal for creating his alternate world of fiction?
(a) To fill the English people's need for their own fairy tale.
(b) To provide an example for how a society should be constructed.
(c) To recreate a world that he had read about as a child.
(d) To make a world that is completely unbelievable in every way.
11. Which one of Tolkien's books explains the history of Elvenkind?
(a) The Lord of the Rings.
(b) The Hobbit.
(c) The Silmarillion.
(d) The Legend of Sigurd and Gudrún.
12. What subject is a student's thesis about that Tolkien expects to find boring?
(b) Fairy Tales.
13. Who is the person that Tolkien thanks, and is the recipient of Letter #130?
(a) Rayner Unwin.
(b) Humphrey Carpenter.
(c) George Allen.
(d) Milton Waldman.
14. As mentioned in Letter #66, why does Tolkien think that he will have to move some of the sections of his book?
(a) They do not have the same writing style as the other sections.
(b) They do not fit in with the storyline.
(c) They are too short.
(d) They are too long.
15. How much of The Silmarillion takes place before the arrival of human beings?
(a) Very little of it.
(b) None of it.
(c) All of it.
(d) The majority of it.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who provides the main order of the letters included in the book?
2. By what year does Tolkien insist that his books be published with his new publisher?
3. What is the term "galleys" used to refer to in "The Professor"?
4. How does Tolkien describe the domestic problems he is having in a letter before he moves to a small house?
5. How does Tolkien design the book, Farmer Giles of Ham?
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)