|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much of The Silmarillion takes place before the arrival of human beings?
(a) Very little of it.
(b) None of it.
(c) The majority of it.
(d) All of it.
2. How does Tolkien think children will respond to Farmer Giles of Ham?
(a) They will not like it.
(b) They might like it.
(c) They will not understand it.
(d) He encourages them not to read it.
3. How does Tolkien describe the writing of The Hobbit to Christopher?
(a) Both easy and difficult.
(d) Neither easy nor difficult.
4. How many other men are traveling with Tolkien during his conversation about accents?
5. What has Tolkien found in his manuscript when he writes Letter #69?
(c) Too many analogies.
(d) Too many metaphors.
6. Who leads The Enemy in Tolkien's stories?
(d) The Nazgul.
7. By what year does Tolkien insist that his books be published with his new publisher?
8. Who participates in the Machine?
(c) Mortals, Elves, and Hobbits.
9. As stated in "The Professor," when are The Lord of the Rings books officially published?
10. How old is J.R.R. Tolkien in the first letter?
11. How does Tolkien respond to the idea of chairing the English department?
(a) He is very appreciative.
(b) He thinks it is terrible.
(c) He does not entirely understand why he was selected.
(d) He is insulted.
12. As mentioned by Tolkien in Letter #131, when do the Hobbits first come into being?
(a) The First Age.
(b) The Fourth Age.
(c) The Second Age.
(d) The Third Age.
13. Which school is Tolkien attending when the first letter begins?
14. Who provides the main order of the letters included in the book?
(a) J.R.R. Tolkien.
(b) Christopher Tolkien.
(c) Edith Bratt.
(d) Humphrey Carpenter.
15. What is the term "galleys" used to refer to in "The Professor"?
(a) Chapter summaries for a book.
(b) Advance copies of a printed book.
(c) Reviews for a book.
(d) Advance posters advertising a book.
Short Answer Questions
1. What subject is a student's thesis about that Tolkien expects to find boring?
2. What chapter of the book that Tolkien is working on is he considering altering in Letter #128?
3. How does Tolkien design the book, Farmer Giles of Ham?
4. Which of the following is the main thing that separates the Hobbits and the enemy?
5. How long is Tolkien separated from Edith, making his affection for her grow stronger?
This section contains 434 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)