|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tolkien suggest is the greatest resource for the information the schoolboy is seeking in Letter #114?
(a) The Silmarillion.
(b) Beowulf: The Monsters and the Critics.
(c) The Hobbit.
(d) The Lord of the Rings.
2. Who does Tolkien say are the only people interested in reading his literary works in Letter #115?
(a) Only C.S. Lewis.
(b) Only his wife and son.
(c) C.S. Lewis and his wife.
(d) C.S. Lewis and his son.
3. Which of the following is the main focal point of The Silmarillion?
4. What German word meaning "essential" does Tolkien refer to in Letter #6, stating that it is actually viewed as an English word?
5. As Tolkien explains in Letter #131, what motivates The Enemy in his stories?
(a) Unknown intentions.
(b) Complicated intentions.
(c) Evil intentions.
(d) Good intentions.
6. Who participates in the Machine?
(b) Mortals, Elves, and Hobbits.
7. As mentioned by Tolkien in Letter #131, when do the Hobbits first come into being?
(a) The Third Age.
(b) The Fourth Age.
(c) The First Age.
(d) The Second Age.
8. How often does Tolkien write to Edith during the time they are separated?
(b) Once a day.
(c) Once a month.
(d) Once a week.
9. In what year are the earliest letters in the book written?
10. What assertion does Tolkien make about Farmer Giles of Ham?
(a) It is not a children's book.
(b) It is an unfinished work.
(c) It is a children's book.
(d) It is his longest work to date.
11. What will the alteration mean for the book Tolkien is writing in Letter #128?
(a) It will be meant to be read by children.
(b) It will be designed to have a sequel.
(c) It will be meant not to be read by children.
(d) It will be designed not to have a sequel.
12. Which school is Tolkien attending when the first letter begins?
13. By what year does Tolkien insist that his books be published with his new publisher?
14. What do the letters selected for "To Unwin about The Hobbit" have in common?
(a) They refer to Tolkien's most well known works.
(b) They are all over five pages.
(c) They are all less than one-page long.
(d) They refer to Tolkien's least known works.
15. What happens to the wearer of the One Ring in Tolkien's story?
(a) They are transformed into an Elf.
(b) They are transformed into a Hobbit.
(c) They are given immortality.
(d) They are given mind powers.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what month does Tolkien write to Christopher about the writing process for The Hobbit?
2. Which one of the following does Tolkien vigorously discuss in his letters?
3. What chapter of the book that Tolkien is working on is he considering altering in Letter #128?
4. In Letter #131, what reason does Tolkien reveal for creating his alternate world of fiction?
5. In Letter #27, which of the following does Tolkien say that he will leave the drawing of to someone who can draw ?
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)