|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much time has passed between Tolkien's initial idea for drawing maps and when it becomes an issue with a publisher?
(a) A decade.
(b) Eight years.
(c) Four years.
(d) Over a decade.
2. In what year are the earliest letters in the book written?
3. When does the history of the Elves begin?
(a) Just before humanity.
(b) Just after humanity.
(c) Long before humanity.
(d) Long after humanity.
4. What is the skill or ability of the Elves'?
5. How old is J.R.R. Tolkien in the first letter?
6. As Tolkien explains in Letter #131, what motivates The Enemy in his stories?
(a) Unknown intentions.
(b) Evil intentions.
(c) Good intentions.
(d) Complicated intentions.
7. In Letter #130, what distinction does Tolkien make about the artificial languages he creates for his books?
(a) They are a combination of two real-life languages.
(b) They are the opposite of an actual real life language.
(c) They are never used in real life.
(d) They are seldom used in real life.
8. As stated in the letters included in "Publisher Drama," how many times does Tolkien have the chance to use the poetic invention he makes?
(a) Three times.
(b) Four times.
9. How is the Machine described in Letter #131?
(a) Disciplined, but not industrialized.
(b) Neither disciplined nor industrialized.
(c) Industrialized, but undisciplined.
(d) Industrialized and disciplined.
10. Which school is Tolkien attending when the first letter begins?
11. In what year does Tolkien become disturbed by the length of time to publish The Lord of the Rings trilogy and The Silmarillion?
12. What is the only thing capable of destroying the Ring in Tolkien's story?
(a) The water from a specific river.
(b) The power generated from another ring.
(c) A certain magical spell.
(d) A special type of fire.
13. What chapter of the book that Tolkien is working on is he considering altering in Letter #128?
(a) Chapter 8.
(b) Chapter 10.
(c) Chapter 3.
(d) Chapter 5.
14. How much of The Silmarillion takes place before the arrival of human beings?
(a) The majority of it.
(b) Very little of it.
(c) All of it.
(d) None of it.
15. What has Tolkien found in his manuscript when he writes Letter #69?
(b) Too many analogies.
(d) Too many metaphors.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the wearer of the One Ring in Tolkien's story?
2. During the time these letters are written, what term do the British typically use to label Americans?
3. How do the Hobbits respond to magic in Tolkien's stories?
4. How often does Tolkien write to Edith during the time they are separated?
5. After the Hobbits originate, where does the Dark Power that Tolkien describes in Letter #131 exist?
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)