|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 16, The Final Letters.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much of The Silmarillion takes place before the arrival of human beings?
(a) All of it.
(b) Very little of it.
(c) None of it.
(d) The majority of it.
2. What is Allen & Unwin?
(a) A bank.
(b) A publishing house.
(c) A printing service.
(d) A law firm.
3. How does Tolkien categorize the attempts made to change his spellings in Letter #236?
(a) Intentionally offensive.
(b) Unintentionally offensive.
(c) Somewhat misguided.
(d) Largely misguided.
4. What university did C.S. Lewis have a Chair position?
(a) University of Oxford.
(b) University of Manchester.
(c) University of Cambridge.
(d) University of Edinburgh.
5. When is Letter #246, about Gandalf and the Ring, written?
(a) September 1963.
(b) September 1964.
(c) November 1962.
(d) November 1965.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who provides the main order of the letters included in the book?
2. What book has Tolkien recently completed when he writes a letter to W.H. Auden that is included in "To Anne Barrett of Houghton Mifflin Co."?
3. How does Tolkien think his writing about the joys of fatherhood will be interpreted by people who are parents?
4. How many academic articles is Tolkien a writer for, as referred to in "The Professor"?
5. With whom does Tolkien work in order to avoid the responsibilities of chairing the English department?
This section contains 248 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)