|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 16, The Final Letters.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tolkien wish for "well-meaning folk who think they know" in Letter #236?
(a) They could be listened to.
(b) They could be appreciated.
(c) They could be reasoned with.
(d) They could be restrained.
2. Which new names are among the recipients of the 1960s letters included in "Later Years"?
(a) Professor Forster and Hugo Dyson.
(b) Mrs. Drijver and Hugo Dyson.
(c) Professor Forster, Mrs. Drijver, and Hugo Dyson.
(d) Professor Forster and Mrs. Drijver.
3. What does Tolkien suggest is the greatest resource for the information the schoolboy is seeking in Letter #114?
(a) The Hobbit.
(b) Beowulf: The Monsters and the Critics.
(c) The Lord of the Rings.
(d) The Silmarillion.
4. What happens to the wearer of the One Ring in Tolkien's story?
(a) They are transformed into an Elf.
(b) They are given mind powers.
(c) They are transformed into a Hobbit.
(d) They are given immortality.
5. When is Letter #185 written to Christopher and Faith Tolkien?
(a) June 9.
(b) July 9.
(c) April 19.
(d) March 19.
Short Answer Questions
1. As explained in Letter #256, how long does Tolkien's current book take place after Mordor has collapsed?
2. How much of The Silmarillion takes place before the arrival of human beings?
3. By what year does Tolkien insist that his books be published with his new publisher?
4. What two months are Letters #146, 147, and 148 written in?
5. Which one of Tolkien's books explains the history of Elvenkind?
This section contains 263 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)