|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 16, The Final Letters.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Tolkien say are the only people interested in reading his literary works in Letter #115?
(a) C.S. Lewis and his son.
(b) C.S. Lewis and his wife.
(c) Only C.S. Lewis.
(d) Only his wife and son.
2. According to Letter #257, why did Tolkien find it difficult to become close friends with Charles Williams, a mutual friend of C.S. Lewis?
(a) Williams was not a writer.
(b) A polar difference in literary appreciation.
(c) Williams was not a fan of Fairy Tales.
(d) A polar difference in mentalities.
3. As Tolkien explains in Letter #246, what is the main difference between Gandalf and Sauron?
(a) Gandalf never succumbs to the Enemy.
(b) Sauron has much less wisdom.
(c) Sauron has much more wisdom.
(d) Gandalf succumbs to the Enemy.
4. Who provides the main order of the letters included in the book?
(a) J.R.R. Tolkien.
(b) Edith Bratt.
(c) Christopher Tolkien.
(d) Humphrey Carpenter.
5. In what year are the earliest letters in the book written?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many Rings of Power does the One Ring control?
2. Which new names are among the recipients of the 1960s letters included in "Later Years"?
3. How does Tolkien expect the publisher to respond to his opinions of the cover designs?
4. In his letter to D. Auden in "The Lord of the Rings Are Published," why does Tolkien think his work is published?
5. What is Tolkien's age when he writes Letter #253?
This section contains 344 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)