|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 16, The Final Letters.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As stated in the letters included in "Publisher Drama," how many times does Tolkien have the chance to use the poetic invention he makes?
(b) Three times.
(c) Four times.
2. Who participates in the Machine?
(d) Mortals, Elves, and Hobbits.
3. What two months are Letters #146, 147, and 148 written in?
(a) November and December.
(b) June and July.
(c) February and March.
(d) August and September.
4. Where is the man whose accent Tolkien refers to as "English after being wiped over with a dirty sponge" from?
(a) New Hampshire.
(c) New England.
5. Which one of Tolkien's books explains the history of Elvenkind?
(a) The Legend of Sigurd and Gudrún.
(b) The Hobbit.
(c) The Silmarillion.
(d) The Lord of the Rings.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tolkien suggest is the greatest resource for the information the schoolboy is seeking in Letter #114?
2. As Tolkien explains in Letter #131, what motivates The Enemy in his stories?
3. What causes Frodo to have a breakdown in The Lord of the Rings?
4. As stated in "The Professor," when are The Lord of the Rings books officially published?
5. What is the result of a friendship between the Elves and the Dwarves, as Tolkien explains in Letter #131?
This section contains 235 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)