|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 16, The Final Letters.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which school is Tolkien attending when the first letter begins?
2. In what year is Letter #253 written?
3. What aspect of fiction is detailed in Letter #199?
4. Based on Tolkien's assessment in Letter #159, who is the most surprised about the results of the published books?
(a) Either himself or the publisher.
(c) The publisher.
(d) Neither himself nor the publisher.
5. Why does a woman think that a used book she purchased had been previously owned by Tolkien?
(a) The owner of the used book store informs her that Tolkien had owned it.
(b) A letter of his folded in between two pages of the book.
(c) Handwritten scripts in the book.
(d) His signature on the last page of the book.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Tolkien replying to in Letter #246?
2. What chapter of the book that Tolkien is working on is he considering altering in Letter #128?
3. How does Tolkien respond to the publisher's actions with the cover designs in "Now the Books Themselves"?
4. Who leads The Enemy in Tolkien's stories?
5. Which two characters have a dynamic that Tolkien thinks has a great effect on the events in The Lord of Rings?
This section contains 228 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)