|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 16, The Final Letters.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year does Tolkien write about a piece of fan mail that boosts his spirits in "The Final Letters"?
2. Why does C.S. Lewis use the name Numenor in one of his stories?
(a) As a way to generate interest in the story.
(b) As a reference to Tolkien.
(c) As an attempt to rewrite <i>The Lord of the Rings</i>.
(d) As an attempt to write a sequel to <i>The Lord of the Rings</i>.
3. Whom does Tolkien originally ask to draw maps for the imaginary world of <i>The Lord of the Rings</i>?
(a) A friend.
(c) A professional illustrator.
4. How does Tolkien feel when he looks at his work in the revision stages?
5. How does Tolkien respond to the woman when she writes to him to inquire whether he had owned a book she purchased?
(a) He is unsure if he owned the book or not.
(b) He confirms that he had owned the book.
(c) He does not respond.
(d) He denies owning the book.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the familiar recipients of the letters of the 1960s that are included in "Later Years"?
2. According to Tolkien in Letter #246, what would have happened if Gandalf wore the ring?
3. What does Tolkien wish for "well-meaning folk who think they know" in Letter #236?
4. How does Tolkien think his writing about the joys of fatherhood will be interpreted by people who are not yet parents?
5. How does Tolkien design the book, <i>Farmer Giles of Ham</i>?
This section contains 349 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)