|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 16, The Final Letters.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the letters selected for "To Unwin about The Hobbit" have in common?
(a) They are all over five pages.
(b) They refer to Tolkien's least known works.
(c) They are all less than one-page long.
(d) They refer to Tolkien's most well known works.
2. What is causing the culture of the Elves to suffer?
(a) The lack of resources.
(b) The psychological effects of their immortality.
(c) The limited education.
(d) The abundance of different cultures.
3. How long before Tolkien's death is the last letter of the book written?
(a) Four weeks.
(b) Ten days.
(c) Four days.
(d) Ten weeks.
4. What is the first topic discussed in Tolkien's letter to Unwin about C.S. Lewis in "Now the Books Themselves"?
(a) C.S. Lewis' books.
(b) The books' sales.
(c) C.S. Lewis' opinions.
(d) The books' reviews.
5. How much of The Silmarillion takes place before the arrival of human beings?
(a) The majority of it.
(b) All of it.
(c) None of it.
(d) Very little of it.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which literary technique does Tolkien not appreciate?
2. How is the Machine described in Letter #131?
3. According to the information provided in Letter #69, how often does Tolkien write to Christopher?
4. What university did C.S. Lewis have a Chair position?
5. How do the Hobbits respond to magic in Tolkien's stories?
This section contains 257 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)