|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 16, The Final Letters.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the only thing capable of destroying the Ring in Tolkien's story?
(a) The power generated from another ring.
(b) A special type of fire.
(c) The water from a specific river.
(d) A certain magical spell.
2. Which one of Tolkien's books explains the history of Elvenkind?
(a) The Silmarillion.
(b) The Lord of the Rings.
(c) The Legend of Sigurd and Gudrún.
(d) The Hobbit.
3. How does Tolkien respond to C.S. Lewis' use of the name Numenor in one of his stories?
(a) He is offended.
(b) He is confused.
(c) He is curious.
(d) He is delighted.
4. As mentioned in a letter to Unwin, how had Tolkien previously responded to the warning about his friendship with C.S. Lewis?
(a) He began talking with C.S. Lewis' other friends.
(b) He stopped talking with C.S. Lewis.
(c) He did not take the warning seriously.
(d) He misinterpreted the warning.
5. What is the only date found on Letter #182?
(b) June, 1955.
(c) January, 1956.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Tolkien say are the only people interested in reading his literary works in Letter #115?
2. In what month does Tolkien write to Christopher about the writing process for The Hobbit?
3. How does Tolkien think his writing about the joys of fatherhood will be interpreted by people who are not yet parents?
4. How does Tolkien consider the term "Elves"?
5. How many improvements does Tolkien indicate he has made to the manuscript for Farmer Giles of Ham?
This section contains 299 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)