|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 16, The Final Letters.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Tolkien think his writing about the joys of fatherhood will be interpreted by people who are parents?
(a) They will not be surprised.
(b) They will be surprised.
(c) It will be very helpful.
(d) It will not be very helpful.
2. Who is Tolkien replying to in Letter #246?
(b) Rayner Unwin.
(c) Mrs. Eileen Elgar.
3. How long is Letter #182?
(a) It is divided into multiple sections.
(b) It is brief.
(c) It is an average length.
(d) It is several pages long.
4. Which versions of The Hobbit earn Tolkien an honorary doctorate, as mentioned in Letter #165?
(a) The French and German versions.
(b) The Italian, French, and German versions.
(c) The Italian and French versions.
(d) The Italian and German versions.
5. How long is Tolkien's Letter #256 to Colin Bailey?
(a) One paragraph.
(b) Two paragraphs.
(c) Two pages.
(d) One page.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Tolkien indicate he has been working with the imaginary realms in Letter #130?
2. What does Tolkien offer to the schoolboy in Letter #114?
3. Who does Tolkien express gratitude to in Letter #6?
4. In describing the power of the pen, what aspect of fiction writing does Tolkien refer to when explaining his own writing process and the way he invents characters?
5. What does Tolkien focus on when his books make less than anticipated progress with publishers?
This section contains 274 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)