|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 16, The Final Letters.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Tolkien explains in Letter #246, what is the main difference between Gandalf and Sauron?
(a) Sauron has much more wisdom.
(b) Sauron has much less wisdom.
(c) Gandalf succumbs to the Enemy.
(d) Gandalf never succumbs to the Enemy.
2. As mentioned by Tolkien in Letter #131, when do the Hobbits first come into being?
(a) The Third Age.
(b) The Second Age.
(c) The Fourth Age.
(d) The First Age.
3. What is the main subject of Letters #146, 147, and 148?
(a) Rewriting the beginnings of the books.
(b) Getting the books into their published form.
(c) Rewriting the endings of the books.
(d) Getting enough advance copies of the book available.
4. What is left out of the letters included in "To Unwin about The Hobbit"?
(a) Personal information.
(b) Months and dates.
(c) The full names of the people that the letters are addressed to.
(d) The endings of the letters.
5. In Letter #227, how does Tolkien explain the name, Numenor?
(a) Illogical, but subjectively translated between languages.
(b) Logical and not easily translated between languages.
(c) Logical, but subjectively translated between languages.
(d) Illogical and not easily translated between languages.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tolkien respond to C.S. Lewis' use of the name Numenor in one of his stories?
2. Which versions of The Hobbit earn Tolkien an honorary doctorate, as mentioned in Letter #165?
3. What is the only thing capable of destroying the Ring in Tolkien's story?
4. How does Tolkien think children will respond to Farmer Giles of Ham?
5. Based on Tolkien's assessment in Letter #246, what drives Frodo to embark on the incredible journey?
This section contains 357 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)