|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 16, The Final Letters.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does Tolkien originally ask to draw maps for the imaginary world of <i>The Lord of the Rings</i>?
(a) A friend.
(d) A professional illustrator.
2. In a letter to W.H. Auden, where does Tolkien reveal his work as a professor originates from?
(a) An accidental job interview.
(b) His actual interests.
(c) The recommendation of a friend.
(d) His value of the English language.
3. With whom does Tolkien work in order to avoid the responsibilities of chairing the English department?
(b) The department supervisor.
(c) The dean.
4. When is Letter #246, about Gandalf and the Ring, written?
(a) November 1962.
(b) November 1965.
(c) September 1963.
(d) September 1964.
5. How many other men are traveling with Tolkien during his conversation about accents?
Short Answer Questions
1. By what year does Tolkien insist that his books be published with his new publisher?
2. What is causing the culture of the Elves to suffer?
3. How many academic articles is Tolkien a writer for, as referred to in "The Professor"?
4. What two months are Letters #146, 147, and 148 written in?
5. Which of the following is the main thing that separates the Hobbits and the enemy?
This section contains 234 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)