|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 16, The Final Letters.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What will the alteration mean for the book Tolkien is writing in Letter #128?
(a) It will be designed not to have a sequel.
(b) It will be meant to be read by children.
(c) It will be designed to have a sequel.
(d) It will be meant not to be read by children.
2. As displayed in Letter #257, what is the connection between Tolkien's childhood and his later years?
(a) His fascination with Elves.
(b) His writing.
(c) His education.
(d) His enjoyment of stories.
3. In Letter #130, what distinction does Tolkien make about the artificial languages he creates for his books?
(a) They are the opposite of an actual real life language.
(b) They are a combination of two real-life languages.
(c) They are never used in real life.
(d) They are seldom used in real life.
4. What two factors contribute to the main part of Letter #66 to Christopher?
(a) Real life and the idea of living in an imaginary world.
(b) Fiction and the writing of an imaginary world.
(c) Fiction and the idea of living in an imaginary world.
(d) Real life and the writing of an imaginary world.
5. Which one of the following best describes Tolkien's recount of the history surrounding his poem in "Publisher Drama"?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many Rings of Power does the One Ring control?
2. As mentioned in Letter #246, where is Frodo unable to give up the Ring?
3. Who is Tolkien replying to in Letter #246?
4. Besides his complaint in "Later Years", how many other times in the book so far has Tolkien complained about the spelling changes made by the editorial staff of a publishing company?
5. During the time these letters are written, what term do the British typically use to label Americans?
This section contains 305 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)