|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 16, The Final Letters.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Besides his complaint in "Later Years", how many other times in the book so far has Tolkien complained about the spelling changes made by the editorial staff of a publishing company?
(d) Three times.
2. What will the alteration mean for the book Tolkien is writing in Letter #128?
(a) It will be meant to be read by children.
(b) It will be designed to have a sequel.
(c) It will be meant not to be read by children.
(d) It will be designed not to have a sequel.
3. How long does Tolkien indicate he has been working with the imaginary realms in Letter #130?
4. As displayed in Letter #257, what is the connection between Tolkien's childhood and his later years?
(a) His writing.
(b) His education.
(c) His fascination with Elves.
(d) His enjoyment of stories.
5. How does Tolkien design the book, Farmer Giles of Ham?
(a) Not to be read aloud.
(b) To be read in one sitting.
(c) To be read as several separate stories.
(d) To be read aloud.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Tolkien originally ask to draw maps for the imaginary world of The Lord of the Rings?
2. How does Tolkien describe the writing of The Hobbit to Christopher?
3. What type of good news does Tolkien preview in Letter #185?
4. Based on Tolkien's assessment in Letter #159, who is the most surprised about the results of the published books?
5. Where does the conversation about accents take place that Tolkien discusses in his letter to Christopher?
This section contains 287 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)