|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 16, The Final Letters.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Tolkien write to Unwin about C.S. Lewis in "Now the Books Themselves"?
(a) November 19.
(b) November 9.
(c) September 19.
(d) September 9.
2. Which literary technique does Tolkien not appreciate?
3. As mentioned in Letter #66, why does Tolkien think that he will have to move some of the sections of his book?
(a) They are too long.
(b) They are too short.
(c) They do not have the same writing style as the other sections.
(d) They do not fit in with the storyline.
4. Where is the man whose accent Tolkien refers to as "English after being wiped over with a dirty sponge" from?
(b) New England.
(d) New Hampshire.
5. What is the result of a friendship between the Elves and the Dwarves, as Tolkien explains in Letter #131?
(a) A decline of education.
(b) An improvement in the arts.
(c) An improvement in education.
(d) A decline of the arts.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to his letters, how does Tolkien consider his experience with the publisher about the cover designs?
2. To whom does Tolkien write about the impact of C.S. Lewis' passing?
3. What does Tolkien think drives humans towards certain behaviors?
4. Based on Tolkien's assessment in Letter #159, who is the most surprised about the results of the published books?
5. Which poem does Rayner Unwin initially write to Tolkien about?
This section contains 272 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)