|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 16, The Final Letters.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who are the familiar recipients of the letters of the 1960s that are included in "Later Years"?
(a) Christopher, Edith, and Rayner Unwin.
(b) Christopher and Edith Unwin.
(c) Edith and Rayner Unwin.
(d) Christopher and Rayner Unwin.
2. As mentioned in a letter to Unwin, how had Tolkien previously responded to the warning about his friendship with C.S. Lewis?
(a) He did not take the warning seriously.
(b) He misinterpreted the warning.
(c) He stopped talking with C.S. Lewis.
(d) He began talking with C.S. Lewis' other friends.
3. How often does Tolkien write to Edith during the time they are separated?
(a) Once a month.
(b) Once a week.
(d) Once a day.
4. In his letter to D. Auden in "The Lord of the Rings Are Published," why does Tolkien think his work is published?
(a) The stories have the ability to transcend time periods.
(b) The publisher was a fan of the story as a child.
(c) The stories have the ability to connect with children and adults.
(d) The publisher was a childhood friend of his.
5. What does the publisher do after reading Tolkien's opinions of the cover designs?
(a) They change the covers based on his opinions.
(b) They threaten to stop publishing the books.
(c) They leave the covers as is despite his opinions.
(d) They request more detailed notes from him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are most of the recipients of "The Final Letters"?
2. Who does Tolkien express gratitude to in Letter #6?
3. What words does Tolkien use to replace "Elves"?
4. In what year does Tolkien become disturbed by the length of time to publish The Lord of the Rings trilogy and The Silmarillion?
5. Based on the information provided by Tolkien in Letter #261, which Ireland Province was C.S. Lewis from?
This section contains 318 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)