|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 16, The Final Letters.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which one of the following best describes Tolkien's recount of the history surrounding his poem in "Publisher Drama"?
2. Where is the man whose accent Tolkien refers to as "English after being wiped over with a dirty sponge" from?
(b) New Hampshire.
(c) New England.
3. What does Tolkien focus on when his books make less than anticipated progress with publishers?
(a) His teaching job.
(b) Writing to the publishers.
(c) Writing other books.
(d) His family.
4. What is causing the culture of the Elves to suffer?
(a) The abundance of different cultures.
(b) The lack of resources.
(c) The limited education.
(d) The psychological effects of their immortality.
5. As mentioned in Letter #246, where is Frodo unable to give up the Ring?
(a) The Cracks of Doom.
(b) The Shire.
(c) Fangorn Forest.
(d) Pelennor Fields.
Short Answer Questions
1. In his letter to D. Auden in "The Lord of the Rings Are Published," why does Tolkien think his work is published?
2. Based on Tolkien's assessment in Letter #159, who is the most surprised about the results of the published books?
3. Besides his publisher, who else does Tolkien give credit to for his literary success in his letter to D. Auden?
4. What age does J.R.R. Tolkien pass away?
5. How does Tolkien consider the term "Elves"?
This section contains 306 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)