|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 16, The Final Letters.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Based on the information in the Introduction, how many chapters does the book have?
2. In Letter #130, what distinction does Tolkien make about the artificial languages he creates for his books?
(a) They are never used in real life.
(b) They are seldom used in real life.
(c) They are the opposite of an actual real life language.
(d) They are a combination of two real-life languages.
3. In general, why do Tolkien and C.S. Lewis meet several times?
(a) To edit each other's manuscripts.
(b) To play games.
(c) To discuss sports and politics.
(d) To give each other literary criticism.
4. Who are the familiar recipients of the letters of the 1960s that are included in "Later Years"?
(a) Christopher and Edith Unwin.
(b) Christopher and Rayner Unwin.
(c) Edith and Rayner Unwin.
(d) Christopher, Edith, and Rayner Unwin.
5. Which character does Tolkien indicate has gained the most power by wearing the Ring?
(b) The Witch-king of Angmar.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which one of Tolkien's books explains the history of Elvenkind?
2. What is left out of the letters included in "To Unwin about The Hobbit"?
3. How does Tolkien respond to C.S. Lewis' use of the name Numenor in one of his stories?
4. What has Tolkien found in his manuscript when he writes Letter #69?
5. How is the Machine described in Letter #131?
This section contains 284 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)