|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 16, The Final Letters.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What assertion does Tolkien make about Farmer Giles of Ham?
(a) It is a children's book.
(b) It is not a children's book.
(c) It is his longest work to date.
(d) It is an unfinished work.
2. How does Tolkien describe Gandalf in Letter #246?
3. As stated in "The Professor," when are The Lord of the Rings books officially published?
4. How old is J.R.R. Tolkien in the first letter?
5. What does Tolkien focus on when his books make less than anticipated progress with publishers?
(a) His teaching job.
(b) His family.
(c) Writing other books.
(d) Writing to the publishers.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are most of the recipients of "The Final Letters"?
2. Why does Tolkien think his new position at the university will be better received in Letter #182?
3. In what month does Tolkien write to Christopher about the writing process for The Hobbit?
4. Which book began as a story that Tolkien created to read to his children?
5. What request is made of Tolkien after he finishes Farmer Giles of Ham?
This section contains 273 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)