|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 16, The Final Letters.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to the wearer of the One Ring in Tolkien's story?
(a) They are transformed into an Elf.
(b) They are transformed into a Hobbit.
(c) They are given immortality.
(d) They are given mind powers.
2. How long is Letter #182?
(a) It is several pages long.
(b) It is an average length.
(c) It is divided into multiple sections.
(d) It is brief.
3. Besides his complaint in "Later Years", how many other times in the book so far has Tolkien complained about the spelling changes made by the editorial staff of a publishing company?
(b) Three times.
4. As explained in Letter #256, how long does Tolkien's current book take place after Mordor has collapsed?
(a) Two hundred years.
(b) Fifty years.
(c) One hundred and fifty years.
(d) One hundred years.
5. In his letter to D. Auden in "The Lord of the Rings Are Published," why does Tolkien think his work is published?
(a) The stories have the ability to transcend time periods.
(b) The publisher was a childhood friend of his.
(c) The stories have the ability to connect with children and adults.
(d) The publisher was a fan of the story as a child.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Tolkien think his new position at the university will be better received in Letter #182?
2. Based on the information in the Introduction, how many chapters does the book have?
3. What does Tolkien offer to the schoolboy in Letter #114?
4. As mentioned in Letter #66, why does Tolkien think that he will have to move some of the sections of his book?
5. As mentioned in a letter to Unwin, how had Tolkien previously responded to the warning about his friendship with C.S. Lewis?
This section contains 380 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)