|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 16, The Final Letters.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long is Tolkien separated from Edith, making his affection for her grow stronger?
(a) One year.
(b) Two years.
(c) Four years.
(d) Three years.
2. What request is made of Tolkien after he finishes Farmer Giles of Ham?
(a) That he write more stories to make a large volume.
(b) That he remove two of the characters.
(c) That he edit some of the book to make it shorter.
(d) That he adds to the ending to make it more complete.
3. How does Tolkien respond to the publisher's actions with the cover designs in "Now the Books Themselves"?
(a) He is upset.
(b) He is confused.
(c) He is thankful.
(d) He is unresponsive.
4. What is causing the culture of the Elves to suffer?
(a) The psychological effects of their immortality.
(b) The lack of resources.
(c) The abundance of different cultures.
(d) The limited education.
5. As mentioned by Tolkien in Letter #131, when do the Hobbits first come into being?
(a) The Third Age.
(b) The First Age.
(c) The Fourth Age.
(d) The Second Age.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which literary technique does Tolkien not appreciate?
2. Based on Tolkien's letter to W.H. Auden, who is responsible for shaping an individual's behavior?
3. How does Tolkien sign Letter #165?
4. What is the title of Tolkien's lecture that is included in an academic journal?
5. When is Letter #159 dated?
This section contains 255 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)