|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 16, The Final Letters.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In a letter to W.H. Auden, where does Tolkien reveal his work as a professor originates from?
(a) His actual interests.
(b) An accidental job interview.
(c) His value of the English language.
(d) The recommendation of a friend.
2. Which character does Tolkien indicate has gained the most power by wearing the Ring?
(c) The Witch-king of Angmar.
3. Where does the friendship between the Elves and the Dwarves that Tolkien refers to in Letter #131 take place?
(a) The Shire.
(b) The Misty Mountains.
(c) Fangorn Forest.
4. How many Rings of Power does the One Ring control?
5. Besides his publisher, who else does Tolkien give credit to for his literary success in his letter to D. Auden?
(a) A nun, a former teacher, and a former student.
(b) A nun and a former teacher.
(c) A nun and a former student.
(d) A former teacher and a former student.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the title of Tolkien's lecture that is included in an academic journal?
2. How does Tolkien describe his work for a dictionary?
3. What two months are Letters #146, 147, and 148 written in?
4. What is Tolkien finishing while writing the letters included in "The Lord of the Rings Are Published"?
5. How does Tolkien react to the original cover designs that he is sent for his books?
This section contains 306 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)