|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13, Letters of the 1960s.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the letters selected for "To Unwin about The Hobbit" have in common?
(a) They refer to Tolkien's most well known works.
(b) They refer to Tolkien's least known works.
(c) They are all less than one-page long.
(d) They are all over five pages.
2. Who does Tolkien express gratitude to in Letter #6?
(a) Mrs. C.S. Wright.
(b) Mrs. E.M. White.
(c) Mrs. C.S. White.
(d) Mrs. E.M. Wright.
3. How many academic articles is Tolkien a writer for, as referred to in "The Professor"?
(a) At least ten.
(b) At least one.
(c) At least twenty.
(d) Over twenty.
4. After the Hobbits originate, where does the Dark Power that Tolkien describes in Letter #131 exist?
5. Besides his publisher, who else does Tolkien give credit to for his literary success in his letter to D. Auden?
(a) A nun, a former teacher, and a former student.
(b) A nun and a former teacher.
(c) A former teacher and a former student.
(d) A nun and a former student.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Tolkien found in his manuscript when he writes Letter #69?
2. What point does Tolkien make about his book, The Silmarillion, in Letter #131?
3. According to Tolkien in Letter #246, what would have happened if Gandalf wore the ring?
4. Overall, what is the length of the longest letters included in the book?
5. Which school is Tolkien attending when the first letter begins?
This section contains 296 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)