|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13, Letters of the 1960s.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What two months are Letters #146, 147, and 148 written in?
(a) June and July.
(b) February and March.
(c) August and September.
(d) November and December.
2. How much of The Silmarillion takes place before the arrival of human beings?
(a) Very little of it.
(b) All of it.
(c) The majority of it.
(d) None of it.
3. How does Tolkien react to the original cover designs that he is sent for his books?
(a) He does not understand them.
(b) He is unhappy with them.
(c) He is very happy with them.
(d) He likes them overall, but has a few suggestions.
4. During the time these letters are written, what term do the British typically use to label Americans?
(a) City folk.
5. What is the skill or ability of the Elves'?
Short Answer Questions
1. As Tolkien explains in Letter #131, what motivates The Enemy in his stories?
2. What has Tolkien found in his manuscript when he writes Letter #69?
3. How does Tolkien expect the publisher to respond to his opinions of the cover designs?
4. How long is Letter #182?
5. In Letter #27, which of the following does Tolkien say that he will leave the drawing of to someone who can draw ?
This section contains 262 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)