|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13, Letters of the 1960s.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is J.R.R. Tolkien in the first letter?
2. Based on Tolkien's assessment in Letter #246, what drives Frodo to embark on the incredible journey?
(a) Loyalty and the need to do what is right.
(b) The love of a friend and loyalty.
(c) The need to do what is right, the love of a friend, and loyalty.
(d) The need to do what is right and the love of a friend.
3. In a letter to W.H. Auden, where does Tolkien reveal his work as a professor originates from?
(a) His actual interests.
(b) The recommendation of a friend.
(c) An accidental job interview.
(d) His value of the English language.
4. In describing the power of the pen, what aspect of fiction writing does Tolkien refer to when explaining his own writing process and the way he invents characters?
(a) The unpredictability of it.
(b) The predictability of it.
(c) The extensive research done before writing.
(d) The extensive reading of other fiction done before writing.
5. What does Tolkien focus on when his books make less than anticipated progress with publishers?
(a) His teaching job.
(b) Writing to the publishers.
(c) Writing other books.
(d) His family.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Tolkien say are the only people interested in reading his literary works in Letter #115?
2. How does Tolkien respond to the idea of chairing the English department?
3. In what month does Tolkien write to Christopher about the writing process for The Hobbit?
4. Which one of the following best describes Tolkien's recount of the history surrounding his poem in "Publisher Drama"?
5. How many Rings of Power does the One Ring control?
This section contains 312 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)