|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13, Letters of the 1960s.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Tolkien's new publisher need a summary of the books?
(a) To use for copyrighting the work.
(b) To include on the back cover.
(c) To use for publicity.
(d) To include on the inside cover.
2. When is Letter #185 written to Christopher and Faith Tolkien?
(a) April 19.
(b) June 9.
(c) July 9.
(d) March 19.
3. What two factors contribute to the main part of Letter #66 to Christopher?
(a) Fiction and the writing of an imaginary world.
(b) Real life and the writing of an imaginary world.
(c) Fiction and the idea of living in an imaginary world.
(d) Real life and the idea of living in an imaginary world.
4. How is the Machine described in Letter #131?
(a) Neither disciplined nor industrialized.
(b) Industrialized and disciplined.
(c) Disciplined, but not industrialized.
(d) Industrialized, but undisciplined.
5. How many academic articles is Tolkien a writer for, as referred to in "The Professor"?
(a) At least ten.
(b) At least one.
(c) At least twenty.
(d) Over twenty.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the initial publisher for Tolkien's books when "Publisher Drama" begins?
2. With whom does Tolkien work in order to avoid the responsibilities of chairing the English department?
3. In a letter to W.H. Auden, where does Tolkien reveal his work as a professor originates from?
4. Where is the man whose accent Tolkien refers to as "English after being wiped over with a dirty sponge" from?
5. What issue does a woman's presence raise for Tolkien in "Publisher Drama"?
This section contains 275 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)