|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13, Letters of the 1960s.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In a letter to W.H. Auden, where does Tolkien reveal his work as a professor originates from?
(a) An accidental job interview.
(b) His value of the English language.
(c) The recommendation of a friend.
(d) His actual interests.
2. How does Tolkien describe the domestic problems he is having in a letter before he moves to a small house?
3. How long is Letter #182?
(a) It is an average length.
(b) It is several pages long.
(c) It is divided into multiple sections.
(d) It is brief.
4. What is Tolkien finishing while writing the letters included in "<i>The Lord of the Rings</i> Are Published"?
(a) The collection of poems that coincides with the trilogy.
(b) The manuscript for the final story of the trilogy.
(c) The manuscript for the prequel to the trilogy.
(d) The poem that coincides with the trilogy.
5. As Tolkien explains in Letter #131, what motivates The Enemy in his stories?
(a) Complicated intentions.
(b) Good intentions.
(c) Unknown intentions.
(d) Evil intentions.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Letter #131, what reason does Tolkien reveal for creating his alternate world of fiction?
2. How many Rings of Power does the One Ring control?
3. What choice does Tolkien think each person has?
4. How many other men are traveling with Tolkien during his conversation about accents?
5. According to the information provided in Letter #69, how often does Tolkien write to Christopher?
This section contains 302 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)