|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13, Letters of the 1960s.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Tolkien respond to the idea of chairing the English department?
(a) He is insulted.
(b) He thinks it is terrible.
(c) He is very appreciative.
(d) He does not entirely understand why he was selected.
2. According to the information in Letter #182, what position does Tolkien now have?
(a) Senior Professor.
(b) Department Chair.
(c) Department Coordinator.
(d) Associate Professor.
3. How long does Tolkien indicate he has been working with the imaginary realms in Letter #130?
4. What feeling does Tolkien have about knowing the entire story of <i>The Lord of the Rings</i>?
(a) A different and possibly familiar feeling.
(b) A different and possibly strange feeling.
(c) An expected and familiar feeling.
(d) An unexpected and strange feeling.
5. As stated in the letters included in "Publisher Drama," how many times does Tolkien have the chance to use the poetic invention he makes?
(a) Four times.
(c) Three times.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which novel was being made into a paperback, prompting the debate over spelling in Letter #236?
2. Who does Tolkien express gratitude to in Letter #6?
3. In Letter #131, what reason does Tolkien reveal for creating his alternate world of fiction?
4. When is Letter #185 written to Christopher and Faith Tolkien?
5. As mentioned in Letter #66, why does Tolkien think that he will have to move some of the sections of his book?
This section contains 323 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)