|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13, Letters of the 1960s.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Besides his complaint in "Later Years", how many other times in the book so far has Tolkien complained about the spelling changes made by the editorial staff of a publishing company?
(b) Three times.
2. How long does it take Tolkien to get his story about The Lord of the Rings published, according to Letter #159?
(a) Three years.
(b) Several years.
(c) One year.
(d) Two years.
3. What is the title of Tolkien's lecture that is included in an academic journal?
(a) English and Welsh.
(b) English Fairy Tales.
(c) English and Welsh languages.
(d) English Fiction.
4. According to the information in Letter #182, what position does Tolkien now have?
(a) Senior Professor.
(b) Department Chair.
(c) Department Coordinator.
(d) Associate Professor.
5. How does Tolkien consider Frodo's breakdown in Letter #246?
(a) He thinks that it should have been avoided.
(b) He thinks that it was unavoidable.
(c) He thinks that it is not a moral failure.
(d) He thinks that it is a moral failure.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to his letters, how does Tolkien consider his experience with the publisher about the cover designs?
2. How long is the summary that Tolkien's new publisher asks him to write at the end of "Publisher Drama"?
3. What German word meaning "essential" does Tolkien refer to in Letter #6, stating that it is actually viewed as an English word?
4. After the Hobbits originate, where does the Dark Power that Tolkien describes in Letter #131 exist?
5. Which one of the following is a topic of discussion in Letter #150 to Christopher?
This section contains 273 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)