|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13, Letters of the 1960s.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tolkien offer to the schoolboy in Letter #114?
(a) The first draft of a never released manuscript.
(b) Early copies of documents.
(c) Monogrammed stationery.
(d) An encyclopedia set.
2. How does Tolkien think children will respond to Farmer Giles of Ham?
(a) He encourages them not to read it.
(b) They might like it.
(c) They will not understand it.
(d) They will not like it.
3. How long does Tolkien indicate he has been working with the imaginary realms in Letter #130?
4. How does Tolkien describe the domestic problems he is having in a letter before he moves to a small house?
5. What is the first topic discussed in Tolkien's letter to Unwin about C.S. Lewis in "Now the Books Themselves"?
(a) The books' reviews.
(b) C.S. Lewis' opinions.
(c) C.S. Lewis' books.
(d) The books' sales.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tolkien wish for "well-meaning folk who think they know" in Letter #236?
2. When is Letter #185 written to Christopher and Faith Tolkien?
3. Which character does Tolkien indicate has gained the most power by wearing the Ring?
4. What is Tolkien finishing while writing the letters included in "The Lord of the Rings Are Published"?
5. What is causing the culture of the Elves to suffer?
This section contains 279 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)