|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13, Letters of the 1960s.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What words does Tolkien use to replace "Elves"?
(a) Elf, Elfen, and Elven.
(b) Elf and Elven.
(c) Elfen and Elven.
(d) Elf and Elfen.
2. What type of good news does Tolkien preview in Letter #185?
(a) Financial and personal.
(d) Neither financial nor personal.
3. Who does Tolkien say are the only people interested in reading his literary works in Letter #115?
(a) C.S. Lewis and his son.
(b) C.S. Lewis and his wife.
(c) Only his wife and son.
(d) Only C.S. Lewis.
4. What do the letters selected for "To Unwin about The Hobbit" have in common?
(a) They are all less than one-page long.
(b) They are all over five pages.
(c) They refer to Tolkien's most well known works.
(d) They refer to Tolkien's least known works.
5. Why does Tolkien's new publisher need a summary of the books?
(a) To use for publicity.
(b) To include on the inside cover.
(c) To include on the back cover.
(d) To use for copyrighting the work.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the only date found on Letter #182?
2. How much time has passed between Tolkien's initial idea for drawing maps and when it becomes an issue with a publisher?
3. What causes Frodo to have a breakdown in The Lord of the Rings?
4. Which poem does Rayner Unwin initially write to Tolkien about?
5. After the Hobbits originate, where does the Dark Power that Tolkien describes in Letter #131 exist?
This section contains 248 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)