|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13, Letters of the 1960s.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which one of the following best describes Tolkien's recount of the history surrounding his poem in "Publisher Drama"?
2. Which one of the following does Tolkien vigorously discuss in his letters?
(a) Grading papers.
(b) Reading academic books.
(c) Reporting to class on time.
(d) Talking with students.
3. What is Tolkien finishing while writing the letters included in "The Lord of the Rings Are Published"?
(a) The manuscript for the final story of the trilogy.
(b) The collection of poems that coincides with the trilogy.
(c) The poem that coincides with the trilogy.
(d) The manuscript for the prequel to the trilogy.
4. Which one of Tolkien's books explains the history of Elvenkind?
(a) The Hobbit.
(b) The Lord of the Rings.
(c) The Legend of Sigurd and Gudrún.
(d) The Silmarillion.
5. What happens to the wearer of the One Ring in Tolkien's story?
(a) They are given mind powers.
(b) They are transformed into an Elf.
(c) They are transformed into a Hobbit.
(d) They are given immortality.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does C.S. Lewis use the name Numenor in one of his stories?
2. How does Tolkien consider Frodo's breakdown in Letter #246?
3. Why does Tolkien think his new position at the university will be better received in Letter #182?
4. By what year does Tolkien insist that his books be published with his new publisher?
5. Where does the friendship between the Elves and the Dwarves that Tolkien refers to in Letter #131 take place?
This section contains 343 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)