|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13, Letters of the 1960s.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Besides his complaint in "Later Years", how many other times in the book so far has Tolkien complained about the spelling changes made by the editorial staff of a publishing company?
(d) Three times.
2. What is Tolkien finishing while writing the letters included in "The Lord of the Rings Are Published"?
(a) The manuscript for the final story of the trilogy.
(b) The poem that coincides with the trilogy.
(c) The manuscript for the prequel to the trilogy.
(d) The collection of poems that coincides with the trilogy.
3. Who does Tolkien express gratitude to in Letter #6?
(a) Mrs. C.S. Wright.
(b) Mrs. E.M. Wright.
(c) Mrs. E.M. White.
(d) Mrs. C.S. White.
4. How is the Machine described in Letter #131?
(a) Industrialized, but undisciplined.
(b) Disciplined, but not industrialized.
(c) Neither disciplined nor industrialized.
(d) Industrialized and disciplined.
5. What two months are Letters #146, 147, and 148 written in?
(a) November and December.
(b) June and July.
(c) February and March.
(d) August and September.
Short Answer Questions
1. What assertion does Tolkien make about Farmer Giles of Ham?
2. How does Tolkien respond to C.S. Lewis' use of the name Numenor in one of his stories?
3. How many Elves does Tolkien think might be able to manage the Ring of Power in Letter #246?
4. Why does Tolkien's new publisher need a summary of the books?
5. What German word meaning "essential" does Tolkien refer to in Letter #6, stating that it is actually viewed as an English word?
This section contains 293 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)