|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13, Letters of the 1960s.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Tolkien describe the change that he has made to his manuscript in Letter #129?
2. How does Tolkien respond to the publisher's actions with the cover designs in "Now the Books Themselves"?
(a) He is upset.
(b) He is unresponsive.
(c) He is thankful.
(d) He is confused.
3. What does Tolkien explain he uses in developing his fascination with imaginary worlds?
(a) His abilities and sense of humor.
(b) His skills and abilities.
(c) His skills and sense of humor.
(d) His skills, abilities, and sense of humor.
4. What German word meaning "essential" does Tolkien refer to in Letter #6, stating that it is actually viewed as an English word?
5. Besides his publisher, who else does Tolkien give credit to for his literary success in his letter to D. Auden?
(a) A nun and a former teacher.
(b) A former teacher and a former student.
(c) A nun and a former student.
(d) A nun, a former teacher, and a former student.
Short Answer Questions
1. In general, why do Tolkien and C.S. Lewis meet several times?
2. Which of the following is the main focal point of The Silmarillion?
3. Why does C.S. Lewis use the name Numenor in one of his stories?
4. According to Tolkien in Letter #246, what would have happened if Gandalf wore the ring?
5. What has Tolkien found in his manuscript when he writes Letter #69?
This section contains 314 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)