|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13, Letters of the 1960s.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year does Tolkien become disturbed by the length of time to publish The Lord of the Rings trilogy and The Silmarillion?
2. Which novel was being made into a paperback, prompting the debate over spelling in Letter #236?
(a) Farmer Giles of Ham.
(b) The Hobbit.
(c) The Lord of the Rings.
(d) The Silmarillion.
3. After the Hobbits originate, where does the Dark Power that Tolkien describes in Letter #131 exist?
4. Based on Tolkien's assessment in Letter #246, what drives Frodo to embark on the incredible journey?
(a) Loyalty and the need to do what is right.
(b) The love of a friend and loyalty.
(c) The need to do what is right, the love of a friend, and loyalty.
(d) The need to do what is right and the love of a friend.
5. How long is Letter #182?
(a) It is divided into multiple sections.
(b) It is several pages long.
(c) It is brief.
(d) It is an average length.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who leads The Enemy in Tolkien's stories?
2. In what month does Tolkien write to Christopher about the writing process for The Hobbit?
3. How does Tolkien describe the writing of The Hobbit to Christopher?
4. Who is Tolkien replying to in Letter #246?
5. Based on Tolkien's assessment in Letter #159, who is the most surprised about the results of the published books?
This section contains 248 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)