|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13, Letters of the 1960s.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tolkien offer to the schoolboy in Letter #114?
(a) Monogrammed stationery.
(b) The first draft of a never released manuscript.
(c) An encyclopedia set.
(d) Early copies of documents.
2. In what month does Tolkien write to Christopher about the writing process for The Hobbit?
3. What book has Tolkien recently completed when he writes a letter to W.H. Auden that is included in "To Anne Barrett of Houghton Mifflin Co."?
(a) The Lord of the Rings.
(b) Unfinished Tales.
(c) The Silmarillion.
(d) The Return of the King.
4. As mentioned in a letter to Unwin, how had Tolkien previously responded to the warning about his friendship with C.S. Lewis?
(a) He stopped talking with C.S. Lewis.
(b) He did not take the warning seriously.
(c) He misinterpreted the warning.
(d) He began talking with C.S. Lewis' other friends.
5. How many academic articles is Tolkien a writer for, as referred to in "The Professor"?
(a) Over twenty.
(b) At least twenty.
(c) At least one.
(d) At least ten.
Short Answer Questions
1. What feeling does Tolkien have about knowing the entire story of The Lord of the Rings?
2. How long is Letter #182?
3. In general, why do Tolkien and C.S. Lewis meet several times?
4. Why does C.S. Lewis use the name Numenor in one of his stories?
5. What invention does Tolkien make when writing the poem being discussed with Unwin?
This section contains 328 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)