|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13, Letters of the 1960s.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the title of Tolkien's lecture that is included in an academic journal?
(a) English Fairy Tales.
(b) English Fiction.
(c) English and Welsh languages.
(d) English and Welsh.
2. What does the publisher do after reading Tolkien's opinions of the cover designs?
(a) They leave the covers as is despite his opinions.
(b) They threaten to stop publishing the books.
(c) They request more detailed notes from him.
(d) They change the covers based on his opinions.
3. According to his letters, how does Tolkien consider his experience with the publisher about the cover designs?
4. In describing the power of the pen, what aspect of fiction writing does Tolkien refer to when explaining his own writing process and the way he invents characters?
(a) The extensive research done before writing.
(b) The extensive reading of other fiction done before writing.
(c) The predictability of it.
(d) The unpredictability of it.
5. What is the skill or ability of the Elves'?
Short Answer Questions
1. When is Letter #159 dated?
2. How does Tolkien respond to the idea of chairing the English department?
3. Which literary technique does Tolkien not appreciate?
4. In general, why do Tolkien and C.S. Lewis meet several times?
5. What German word meaning "essential" does Tolkien refer to in Letter #6, stating that it is actually viewed as an English word?
This section contains 263 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)