|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13, Letters of the 1960s.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the only date found on Letter #182?
(c) January, 1956.
(d) June, 1955.
2. To whom is Letter #159 addressed?
(b) Rayner Unwin.
(c) Dora Marshall.
3. What is the skill or ability of the Elves'?
4. Based on Tolkien's assessment in Letter #159, who is the most surprised about the results of the published books?
(a) Either himself or the publisher.
(b) Neither himself nor the publisher.
(d) The publisher.
5. As Tolkien explains in Letter #131, what motivates The Enemy in his stories?
(a) Good intentions.
(b) Unknown intentions.
(c) Complicated intentions.
(d) Evil intentions.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many academic articles is Tolkien a writer for, as referred to in "The Professor"?
2. When does Tolkien write to Unwin about C.S. Lewis in "Now the Books Themselves"?
3. In Letter, #6, to what college subject does Tolkien refer?
4. What is the result of a friendship between the Elves and the Dwarves, as Tolkien explains in Letter #131?
5. In Letter #131, what reason does Tolkien reveal for creating his alternate world of fiction?
This section contains 240 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)