|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13, Letters of the 1960s.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Tolkien write to Unwin about C.S. Lewis in "Now the Books Themselves"?
(a) September 19.
(b) September 9.
(c) November 19.
(d) November 9.
2. Which school is Tolkien attending when the first letter begins?
3. How many Elves does Tolkien think might be able to manage the Ring of Power in Letter #246?
4. What is Allen & Unwin?
(a) A bank.
(b) A law firm.
(c) A publishing house.
(d) A printing service.
5. How many improvements does Tolkien indicate he has made to the manuscript for Farmer Giles of Ham?
(a) Too many to count.
(c) Only a few.
Short Answer Questions
1. How heroic does Tolkien think Frodo is in Letter #246?
2. Where does the conversation about accents take place that Tolkien discusses in his letter to Christopher?
3. How does Tolkien originally respond to Unwin's request about the poem?
4. What invention does Tolkien make when writing the poem being discussed with Unwin?
5. What book inspired a schoolboy to write to Tolkien, prompting his response in Letter #114?
This section contains 250 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)