|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13, Letters of the 1960s.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What book has Tolkien recently completed when he writes a letter to W.H. Auden that is included in "To Anne Barrett of Houghton Mifflin Co."?
(a) The Lord of the Rings.
(b) Unfinished Tales.
(c) The Return of the King.
(d) The Silmarillion.
2. What is the title of Tolkien's lecture that is included in an academic journal?
(a) English Fiction.
(b) English and Welsh.
(c) English and Welsh languages.
(d) English Fairy Tales.
3. What has Tolkien found in his manuscript when he writes Letter #69?
(b) Too many metaphors.
(c) Too many analogies.
4. What German word meaning "essential" does Tolkien refer to in Letter #6, stating that it is actually viewed as an English word?
5. Which versions of The Hobbit earn Tolkien an honorary doctorate, as mentioned in Letter #165?
(a) The Italian and French versions.
(b) The Italian, French, and German versions.
(c) The Italian and German versions.
(d) The French and German versions.
Short Answer Questions
1. Besides his complaint in "Later Years", how many other times in the book so far has Tolkien complained about the spelling changes made by the editorial staff of a publishing company?
2. How does Tolkien feel when he looks at his work in the revision stages?
3. What type of good news does Tolkien preview in Letter #185?
4. What does Tolkien explain he uses in developing his fascination with imaginary worlds?
5. In describing the power of the pen, what aspect of fiction writing does Tolkien refer to when explaining his own writing process and the way he invents characters?
This section contains 305 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)