|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11, To Anne Barrett of Houghton Mifflin Co..
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Tolkien write to Unwin about C.S. Lewis in "Now the Books Themselves"?
(a) November 9.
(b) September 19.
(c) November 19.
(d) September 9.
2. In Letter #130, what distinction does Tolkien make about the artificial languages he creates for his books?
(a) They are a combination of two real-life languages.
(b) They are the opposite of an actual real life language.
(c) They are never used in real life.
(d) They are seldom used in real life.
3. What choice does Tolkien think each person has?
(a) To search for answers or leave unanswered questions.
(b) To become educated or remain uneducated.
(c) To perfect a skill or to remain a novice.
(d) To cultivate or leave undeveloped.
4. What does Tolkien offer to the schoolboy in Letter #114?
(a) Early copies of documents.
(b) The first draft of a never released manuscript.
(c) Monogrammed stationery.
(d) An encyclopedia set.
5. How does Tolkien design the book, Farmer Giles of Ham?
(a) To be read in one sitting.
(b) To be read as several separate stories.
(c) Not to be read aloud.
(d) To be read aloud.
Short Answer Questions
1. In general, why do Tolkien and C.S. Lewis meet several times?
2. Why does Tolkien think his new position at the university will be better received in Letter #182?
3. How long does it take Tolkien to get his story about The Lord of the Rings published, according to Letter #159?
4. How does Tolkien describe the change that he has made to his manuscript in Letter #129?
5. Where does the friendship between the Elves and the Dwarves that Tolkien refers to in Letter #131 take place?
This section contains 321 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)