|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11, To Anne Barrett of Houghton Mifflin Co..
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Tolkien design the book, <i>Farmer Giles of Ham</i>?
(a) To be read in one sitting.
(b) To be read aloud.
(c) To be read as several separate stories.
(d) Not to be read aloud.
2. When does Tolkien write to Unwin about C.S. Lewis in "Now the Books Themselves"?
(a) September 9.
(b) November 9.
(c) November 19.
(d) September 19.
3. How does Tolkien originally respond to Unwin's request about the poem?
(a) He is indifferent.
(b) He is grateful.
(c) He is unaware of it.
(d) He is confused by it.
4. How does Tolkien respond to the publisher's actions with the cover designs in "Now the Books Themselves"?
(a) He is upset.
(b) He is unresponsive.
(c) He is thankful.
(d) He is confused.
5. As mentioned by Tolkien in Letter #131, when do the Hobbits first come into being?
(a) The Third Age.
(b) The Second Age.
(c) The First Age.
(d) The Fourth Age.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Tolkien say are the only people interested in reading his literary works in Letter #115?
2. What is the main subject of Letters #146, 147, and 148?
3. What is left out of the letters included in "To Unwin about <i>The Hobbit</i>"?
4. During the time these letters are written, what term do the British typically use to label Americans?
5. Who is the person that Tolkien thanks, and is the recipient of Letter #130?
This section contains 288 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)