|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11, To Anne Barrett of Houghton Mifflin Co..
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What will the alteration mean for the book Tolkien is writing in Letter #128?
(a) It will be meant to be read by children.
(b) It will be designed not to have a sequel.
(c) It will be meant not to be read by children.
(d) It will be designed to have a sequel.
2. In what year are the earliest letters in the book written?
3. What is the term "galleys" used to refer to in "The Professor"?
(a) Advance copies of a printed book.
(b) Advance posters advertising a book.
(c) Reviews for a book.
(d) Chapter summaries for a book.
4. In general, why do Tolkien and C.S. Lewis meet several times?
(a) To edit each other's manuscripts.
(b) To give each other literary criticism.
(c) To discuss sports and politics.
(d) To play games.
5. What request is made of Tolkien after he finishes Farmer Giles of Ham?
(a) That he remove two of the characters.
(b) That he edit some of the book to make it shorter.
(c) That he write more stories to make a large volume.
(d) That he adds to the ending to make it more complete.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tolkien feel when he looks at his work in the revision stages?
2. What choice does Tolkien think each person has?
3. According to Tolkien in Letter #131, what is the source of magic in his stories?
4. What is the result of a friendship between the Elves and the Dwarves, as Tolkien explains in Letter #131?
5. In describing the power of the pen, what aspect of fiction writing does Tolkien refer to when explaining his own writing process and the way he invents characters?
This section contains 347 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)