|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11, To Anne Barrett of Houghton Mifflin Co..
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During the time these letters are written, what term do the British typically use to label Americans?
(b) City folk.
2. How do the Hobbits respond to magic in Tolkien's stories?
(a) They are confused by it.
(b) They try to ignore it.
(c) They are angered by it.
(d) They are amused by it.
3. What will the alteration mean for the book Tolkien is writing in Letter #128?
(a) It will be meant not to be read by children.
(b) It will be meant to be read by children.
(c) It will be designed to have a sequel.
(d) It will be designed not to have a sequel.
4. By what year does Tolkien insist that his books be published with his new publisher?
5. When is Letter #159 dated?
(a) March 3, 1955.
(b) April 3, 1954.
(c) July 30, 1953.
(d) October 30, 1956.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tolkien explain he uses in developing his fascination with imaginary worlds?
2. What book inspired a schoolboy to write to Tolkien, prompting his response in Letter #114?
3. What happens to the wearer of the One Ring in Tolkien's story?
4. What aspect of fiction is detailed in Letter #199?
5. How many Rings of Power does the One Ring control?
This section contains 248 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)