|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11, To Anne Barrett of Houghton Mifflin Co..
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Tolkien describe the change that he has made to his manuscript in Letter #129?
2. How does Tolkien consider the term "Elves"?
(a) He thinks it is misleading.
(b) He thinks it is senseless.
(c) He thinks it is undefined.
(d) He thinks it is amusing.
3. In Letter #130, what distinction does Tolkien make about the artificial languages he creates for his books?
(a) They are never used in real life.
(b) They are the opposite of an actual real life language.
(c) They are seldom used in real life.
(d) They are a combination of two real-life languages.
4. How do the Hobbits respond to magic in Tolkien's stories?
(a) They are amused by it.
(b) They are angered by it.
(c) They try to ignore it.
(d) They are confused by it.
5. Which one of the following does Tolkien vigorously discuss in his letters?
(a) Talking with students.
(b) Reading academic books.
(c) Reporting to class on time.
(d) Grading papers.
Short Answer Questions
1. Besides his publisher, who else does Tolkien give credit to for his literary success in his letter to D. Auden?
2. How does Tolkien design the book, Farmer Giles of Ham?
3. What aspect of fiction is detailed in Letter #199?
4. What is the term "galleys" used to refer to in "The Professor"?
5. Under what conditions is Tolkien asked to chair an English department in "The Professor"?
This section contains 291 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)