|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11, To Anne Barrett of Houghton Mifflin Co..
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Tolkien in Letter #131, what is the source of magic in his stories?
(a) Neither the Machine nor the Elves.
(b) Only the Elves.
(c) The Machine and the Elves.
(d) Only the Machine.
2. What do the letters selected for "To Unwin about The Hobbit" have in common?
(a) They refer to Tolkien's least known works.
(b) They are all less than one-page long.
(c) They are all over five pages.
(d) They refer to Tolkien's most well known works.
3. With whom does Tolkien work in order to avoid the responsibilities of chairing the English department?
(a) The dean.
(d) The department supervisor.
4. What request is made of Tolkien after he finishes Farmer Giles of Ham?
(a) That he adds to the ending to make it more complete.
(b) That he write more stories to make a large volume.
(c) That he edit some of the book to make it shorter.
(d) That he remove two of the characters.
5. What is the only date found on Letter #182?
(b) June, 1955.
(c) January, 1956.
Short Answer Questions
1. When is Letter #185 written to Christopher and Faith Tolkien?
2. To whom is Letter #159 addressed?
3. How does Tolkien describe the writing of The Hobbit to Christopher?
4. What words does Tolkien use to replace "Elves"?
5. Based on the information in the Introduction, how many chapters does the book have?
This section contains 242 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)