|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11, To Anne Barrett of Houghton Mifflin Co..
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Under what conditions is Tolkien asked to chair an English department in "The Professor"?
2. In a letter to W.H. Auden, where does Tolkien reveal his work as a professor originates from?
(a) The recommendation of a friend.
(b) His value of the English language.
(c) His actual interests.
(d) An accidental job interview.
3. After the Hobbits originate, where does the Dark Power that Tolkien describes in Letter #131 exist?
4. What subject is a student's thesis about that Tolkien expects to find boring?
(c) Fairy Tales.
5. According to Tolkien in Letter #131, what is the source of magic in his stories?
(a) Neither the Machine nor the Elves.
(b) Only the Elves.
(c) Only the Machine.
(d) The Machine and the Elves.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Tolkien think his new position at the university will be better received in Letter #182?
2. What feeling does Tolkien have about knowing the entire story of The Lord of the Rings?
3. What words does Tolkien use to replace "Elves"?
4. What is the main subject of Letters #146, 147, and 148?
5. In what year are the earliest letters in the book written?
This section contains 283 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)