|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11, To Anne Barrett of Houghton Mifflin Co..
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Tolkien first decides to approach the publishers about the delay of the books?
(a) The publishers do not respond.
(b) The publishers take even more time.
(c) The publishers decline to publish them.
(d) The publishers provide a list of excuses.
2. What invention does Tolkien make when writing the poem being discussed with Unwin?
(a) A new world.
(b) A new genre.
(c) A new word.
(d) A new meter.
3. Which school is Tolkien attending when the first letter begins?
4. How do the Belgians describe Tolkien in Letter #165?
(a) The author of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings.
(b) The author of The Silmarillion.
(c) The creator of Mr. Bilbo Baggins.
(d) The creator of Gandolf.
5. What book inspired a schoolboy to write to Tolkien, prompting his response in Letter #114?
(a) Beowulf: The Monsters and the Critics.
(b) The Silmarillion.
(c) The Hobbit.
(d) The Lord of the Rings.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tolkien design the book, Farmer Giles of Ham?
2. In Letter #27, which of the following does Tolkien say that he will leave the drawing of to someone who can draw ?
3. Which of the following is the main focal point of The Silmarillion?
4. What is the main subject of Letters #146, 147, and 148?
5. Which character does Tolkien indicate has gained the most power by wearing the Ring?
This section contains 271 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)