|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11, To Anne Barrett of Houghton Mifflin Co..
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the conversation about accents take place that Tolkien discusses in his letter to Christopher?
(a) On a plane.
(b) On a train.
(c) In a car.
(d) In a boat.
2. How does Tolkien sign Letter #165?
(a) J.R.R. Tolkien.
(b) John Ronald Tolkien.
(c) John Ronald Reuel Tolkien.
(d) John Tolkien.
3. In Letter, #6, to what college subject does Tolkien refer?
(a) Middle English.
(b) English Literature.
4. How does Tolkien describe the alteration he is contemplating making to his manuscript in Letter #128?
5. How many academic articles is Tolkien a writer for, as referred to in "The Professor"?
(a) At least one.
(b) At least twenty.
(c) At least ten.
(d) Over twenty.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which literary technique does Tolkien not appreciate?
2. Which versions of The Hobbit earn Tolkien an honorary doctorate, as mentioned in Letter #165?
3. In what month does Tolkien write to Christopher about the writing process for The Hobbit?
4. What is the only thing capable of destroying the Ring in Tolkien's story?
5. What does the publisher do after reading Tolkien's opinions of the cover designs?
This section contains 249 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)