|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11, To Anne Barrett of Houghton Mifflin Co..
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who provides the main order of the letters included in the book?
(a) Humphrey Carpenter.
(b) Edith Bratt.
(c) J.R.R. Tolkien.
(d) Christopher Tolkien.
2. Who leads The Enemy in Tolkien's stories?
(b) The Nazgul.
3. What book has Tolkien recently completed when he writes a letter to W.H. Auden that is included in "To Anne Barrett of Houghton Mifflin Co."?
(a) Unfinished Tales.
(b) The Lord of the Rings.
(c) The Silmarillion.
(d) The Return of the King.
4. In a letter to W.H. Auden, where does Tolkien reveal his work as a professor originates from?
(a) An accidental job interview.
(b) His value of the English language.
(c) His actual interests.
(d) The recommendation of a friend.
5. In his letter to D. Auden in "The Lord of the Rings Are Published," why does Tolkien think his work is published?
(a) The stories have the ability to connect with children and adults.
(b) The publisher was a childhood friend of his.
(c) The stories have the ability to transcend time periods.
(d) The publisher was a fan of the story as a child.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which literary technique does Tolkien not appreciate?
2. Who provides input , feedback, and advice for the letters in the book?
3. How long does Tolkien indicate he has been working with the imaginary realms in Letter #130?
4. What does Tolkien think drives humans towards certain behaviors?
5. Which one of Tolkien's books explains the history of Elvenkind?
This section contains 290 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)