|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11, To Anne Barrett of Houghton Mifflin Co..
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Tolkien explains in Letter #131, what motivates The Enemy in his stories?
(a) Complicated intentions.
(b) Unknown intentions.
(c) Evil intentions.
(d) Good intentions.
2. What is left out of the letters included in "To Unwin about The Hobbit"?
(a) Personal information.
(b) The endings of the letters.
(c) The full names of the people that the letters are addressed to.
(d) Months and dates.
3. What does Tolkien focus on when his books make less than anticipated progress with publishers?
(a) His teaching job.
(b) Writing other books.
(c) Writing to the publishers.
(d) His family.
4. According to the information provided in Letter #69, how often does Tolkien write to Christopher?
(c) It is not clear.
5. How long is Letter #182?
(a) It is an average length.
(b) It is divided into multiple sections.
(c) It is brief.
(d) It is several pages long.
Short Answer Questions
1. What book has Tolkien recently completed when he writes a letter to W.H. Auden that is included in "To Anne Barrett of Houghton Mifflin Co."?
2. Which one of Tolkien's books explains the history of Elvenkind?
3. Which one of the following best describes Tolkien's recount of the history surrounding his poem in "Publisher Drama"?
4. What two months are Letters #146, 147, and 148 written in?
5. Who does Tolkien express gratitude to in Letter #6?
This section contains 259 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)