|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11, To Anne Barrett of Houghton Mifflin Co..
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which one of the following is a topic of discussion in Letter #150 to Christopher?
(a) Maps for the books.
(b) The number of books sold.
(c) Advertisements for the books.
(d) The number of books printed.
2. How does Tolkien design the book, Farmer Giles of Ham?
(a) To be read in one sitting.
(b) To be read as several separate stories.
(c) Not to be read aloud.
(d) To be read aloud.
3. Who provides the main order of the letters included in the book?
(a) Humphrey Carpenter.
(b) Edith Bratt.
(c) J.R.R. Tolkien.
(d) Christopher Tolkien.
4. Which character does Tolkien indicate has gained the most power by wearing the Ring?
(d) The Witch-king of Angmar.
5. What words does Tolkien use to replace "Elves"?
(a) Elfen and Elven.
(b) Elf and Elven.
(c) Elf and Elfen.
(d) Elf, Elfen, and Elven.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much time has passed between Tolkien's initial idea for drawing maps and when it becomes an issue with a publisher?
2. How much of The Silmarillion takes place before the arrival of human beings?
3. What point does Tolkien make about his book, The Silmarillion, in Letter #131?
4. What type of good news does Tolkien preview in Letter #185?
5. Which versions of The Hobbit earn Tolkien an honorary doctorate, as mentioned in Letter #165?
This section contains 276 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)