|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11, To Anne Barrett of Houghton Mifflin Co..
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Tolkien describe the alteration he is contemplating making to his manuscript in Letter #128?
2. What is left out of the letters included in "To Unwin about The Hobbit"?
(a) The full names of the people that the letters are addressed to.
(b) The endings of the letters.
(c) Months and dates.
(d) Personal information.
3. How long is Letter #182?
(a) It is brief.
(b) It is several pages long.
(c) It is divided into multiple sections.
(d) It is an average length.
4. In describing the power of the pen, what aspect of fiction writing does Tolkien refer to when explaining his own writing process and the way he invents characters?
(a) The unpredictability of it.
(b) The predictability of it.
(c) The extensive reading of other fiction done before writing.
(d) The extensive research done before writing.
5. Which literary technique does Tolkien not appreciate?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tolkien focus on when his books make less than anticipated progress with publishers?
2. When is Letter #185 written to Christopher and Faith Tolkien?
3. Who is the initial publisher for Tolkien's books when "Publisher Drama" begins?
4. What request is made of Tolkien after he finishes Farmer Giles of Ham?
5. What invention does Tolkien make when writing the poem being discussed with Unwin?
This section contains 273 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)