|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11, To Anne Barrett of Houghton Mifflin Co..
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In describing the power of the pen, what aspect of fiction writing does Tolkien refer to when explaining his own writing process and the way he invents characters?
(a) The unpredictability of it.
(b) The extensive reading of other fiction done before writing.
(c) The extensive research done before writing.
(d) The predictability of it.
2. What is the skill or ability of the Elves'?
3. As mentioned by Tolkien in Letter #131, when do the Hobbits first come into being?
(a) The First Age.
(b) The Fourth Age.
(c) The Third Age.
(d) The Second Age.
4. How much time has passed between Tolkien's initial idea for drawing maps and when it becomes an issue with a publisher?
(a) Eight years.
(b) A decade.
(c) Over a decade.
(d) Four years.
5. Based on Tolkien's letter to W.H. Auden, who is responsible for shaping an individual's behavior?
(a) The individual.
(b) The individual and people around them.
(c) People around the individual.
(d) Neither the individual nor people around them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tolkien suggest is the greatest resource for the information the schoolboy is seeking in Letter #114?
2. What happens when Tolkien first decides to approach the publishers about the delay of the books?
3. As stated in the letters included in "Publisher Drama," how many times does Tolkien have the chance to use the poetic invention he makes?
4. How do the Hobbits respond to magic in Tolkien's stories?
5. How much of The Silmarillion takes place before the arrival of human beings?
This section contains 314 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)