|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11, To Anne Barrett of Houghton Mifflin Co..
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many other men are traveling with Tolkien during his conversation about accents?
2. How do the Belgians describe Tolkien in Letter #165?
(a) The author of The Silmarillion.
(b) The author of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings.
(c) The creator of Gandolf.
(d) The creator of Mr. Bilbo Baggins.
3. In general, why do Tolkien and C.S. Lewis meet several times?
(a) To play games.
(b) To give each other literary criticism.
(c) To edit each other's manuscripts.
(d) To discuss sports and politics.
4. What is causing the culture of the Elves to suffer?
(a) The limited education.
(b) The lack of resources.
(c) The abundance of different cultures.
(d) The psychological effects of their immortality.
5. Who does Tolkien express gratitude to in Letter #6?
(a) Mrs. E.M. Wright.
(b) Mrs. C.S. White.
(c) Mrs. C.S. Wright.
(d) Mrs. E.M. White.
Short Answer Questions
1. As stated in "The Professor," when are The Lord of the Rings books officially published?
2. What does Tolkien think drives humans towards certain behaviors?
3. How does Tolkien design the book, Farmer Giles of Ham?
4. During the time these letters are written, what term do the British typically use to label Americans?
5. What happens to the wearer of the One Ring in Tolkien's story?
This section contains 277 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)