|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11, To Anne Barrett of Houghton Mifflin Co..
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is the Machine described in Letter #131?
(a) Neither disciplined nor industrialized.
(b) Disciplined, but not industrialized.
(c) Industrialized, but undisciplined.
(d) Industrialized and disciplined.
2. What two factors contribute to the main part of Letter #66 to Christopher?
(a) Fiction and the writing of an imaginary world.
(b) Real life and the idea of living in an imaginary world.
(c) Real life and the writing of an imaginary world.
(d) Fiction and the idea of living in an imaginary world.
3. What request is made of Tolkien after he finishes Farmer Giles of Ham?
(a) That he adds to the ending to make it more complete.
(b) That he remove two of the characters.
(c) That he write more stories to make a large volume.
(d) That he edit some of the book to make it shorter.
4. How often does Tolkien write to Edith during the time they are separated?
(b) Once a month.
(c) Once a week.
(d) Once a day.
5. How much of The Silmarillion takes place before the arrival of human beings?
(a) All of it.
(b) Very little of it.
(c) The majority of it.
(d) None of it.
Short Answer Questions
1. In a letter to W.H. Auden, where does Tolkien reveal his work as a professor originates from?
2. Which versions of The Hobbit earn Tolkien an honorary doctorate, as mentioned in Letter #165?
3. What is the skill or ability of the Elves'?
4. By what year does Tolkien insist that his books be published with his new publisher?
5. How does Tolkien respond to the idea of chairing the English department?
This section contains 305 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)