|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11, To Anne Barrett of Houghton Mifflin Co..
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who participates in the Machine?
(b) Mortals, Elves, and Hobbits.
2. How does Tolkien respond to the publisher's actions with the cover designs in "Now the Books Themselves"?
(a) He is confused.
(b) He is thankful.
(c) He is unresponsive.
(d) He is upset.
3. How does Tolkien describe the alteration he is contemplating making to his manuscript in Letter #128?
4. Who does Tolkien say are the only people interested in reading his literary works in Letter #115?
(a) C.S. Lewis and his wife.
(b) C.S. Lewis and his son.
(c) Only C.S. Lewis.
(d) Only his wife and son.
5. What request is made of Tolkien after he finishes Farmer Giles of Ham?
(a) That he remove two of the characters.
(b) That he adds to the ending to make it more complete.
(c) That he write more stories to make a large volume.
(d) That he edit some of the book to make it shorter.
Short Answer Questions
1. What point does Tolkien make about his book, The Silmarillion, in Letter #131?
2. How old is J.R.R. Tolkien in the first letter?
3. What invention does Tolkien make when writing the poem being discussed with Unwin?
4. By what year does Tolkien insist that his books be published with his new publisher?
5. Which of the following is the main thing that separates the Hobbits and the enemy?
This section contains 270 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)