|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11, To Anne Barrett of Houghton Mifflin Co..
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the only date found on Letter #182?
(a) January, 1956.
(b) June, 1955.
2. Which one of the following does Tolkien vigorously discuss in his letters?
(a) Reading academic books.
(b) Reporting to class on time.
(c) Talking with students.
(d) Grading papers.
3. How often does Tolkien write to Edith during the time they are separated?
(b) Once a week.
(c) Once a day.
(d) Once a month.
4. In a letter to W.H. Auden, where does Tolkien reveal his work as a professor originates from?
(a) An accidental job interview.
(b) His actual interests.
(c) His value of the English language.
(d) The recommendation of a friend.
5. What happens when Tolkien first decides to approach the publishers about the delay of the books?
(a) The publishers decline to publish them.
(b) The publishers provide a list of excuses.
(c) The publishers take even more time.
(d) The publishers do not respond.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Letter, #6, to what college subject does Tolkien refer?
2. What book inspired a schoolboy to write to Tolkien, prompting his response in Letter #114?
3. Which one of the following best describes Tolkien's recount of the history surrounding his poem in "Publisher Drama"?
4. According to Tolkien in Letter #131, what is the source of magic in his stories?
5. What two months are Letters #146, 147, and 148 written in?
This section contains 251 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)