|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11, To Anne Barrett of Houghton Mifflin Co..
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In a letter to W.H. Auden, where does Tolkien reveal his work as a professor originates from?
(a) His actual interests.
(b) An accidental job interview.
(c) His value of the English language.
(d) The recommendation of a friend.
2. Which versions of The Hobbit earn Tolkien an honorary doctorate, as mentioned in Letter #165?
(a) The Italian and French versions.
(b) The French and German versions.
(c) The Italian, French, and German versions.
(d) The Italian and German versions.
3. In Letter, #6, to what college subject does Tolkien refer?
(a) English Literature.
(d) Middle English.
4. How does Tolkien respond to the publisher's actions with the cover designs in "Now the Books Themselves"?
(a) He is upset.
(b) He is confused.
(c) He is unresponsive.
(d) He is thankful.
5. What will the alteration mean for the book Tolkien is writing in Letter #128?
(a) It will be designed to have a sequel.
(b) It will be meant not to be read by children.
(c) It will be designed not to have a sequel.
(d) It will be meant to be read by children.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which literary technique does Tolkien not appreciate?
2. In Letter #130, what distinction does Tolkien make about the artificial languages he creates for his books?
3. What is left out of the letters included in "To Unwin about The Hobbit"?
4. How long does Tolkien indicate he has been working with the imaginary realms in Letter #130?
5. According to the information provided in Letter #69, how often does Tolkien write to Christopher?
This section contains 299 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)