|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11, To Anne Barrett of Houghton Mifflin Co..
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Tolkien say are the only people interested in reading his literary works in Letter #115?
(a) Only C.S. Lewis.
(b) C.S. Lewis and his wife.
(c) C.S. Lewis and his son.
(d) Only his wife and son.
2. How much of The Silmarillion takes place before the arrival of human beings?
(a) None of it.
(b) Very little of it.
(c) All of it.
(d) The majority of it.
3. What book inspired a schoolboy to write to Tolkien, prompting his response in Letter #114?
(a) The Lord of the Rings.
(b) The Hobbit.
(c) The Silmarillion.
(d) Beowulf: The Monsters and the Critics.
4. Based on Tolkien's letter to W.H. Auden, who is responsible for shaping an individual's behavior?
(a) Neither the individual nor people around them.
(b) The individual.
(c) The individual and people around them.
(d) People around the individual.
5. What assertion does Tolkien make about Farmer Giles of Ham?
(a) It is not a children's book.
(b) It is an unfinished work.
(c) It is his longest work to date.
(d) It is a children's book.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the Belgians describe Tolkien in Letter #165?
2. What issue does a woman's presence raise for Tolkien in "Publisher Drama"?
3. What is the main subject of Letters #146, 147, and 148?
4. What happens when Tolkien first decides to approach the publishers about the delay of the books?
5. How many improvements does Tolkien indicate he has made to the manuscript for Farmer Giles of Ham?
This section contains 327 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)