|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11, To Anne Barrett of Houghton Mifflin Co..
Multiple Choice Questions
1. By what year does Tolkien insist that his books be published with his new publisher?
2. What does Tolkien explain he uses in developing his fascination with imaginary worlds?
(a) His abilities and sense of humor.
(b) His skills, abilities, and sense of humor.
(c) His skills and abilities.
(d) His skills and sense of humor.
3. What does Tolkien focus on when his books make less than anticipated progress with publishers?
(a) His teaching job.
(b) Writing to the publishers.
(c) Writing other books.
(d) His family.
4. What German word meaning "essential" does Tolkien refer to in Letter #6, stating that it is actually viewed as an English word?
5. Besides his publisher, who else does Tolkien give credit to for his literary success in his letter to D. Auden?
(a) A former teacher and a former student.
(b) A nun and a former teacher.
(c) A nun, a former teacher, and a former student.
(d) A nun and a former student.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long is Tolkien separated from Edith, making his affection for her grow stronger?
2. How many academic articles is Tolkien a writer for, as referred to in "The Professor"?
3. What point does Tolkien make about his book, The Silmarillion, in Letter #131?
4. Why does Tolkien think his new position at the university will be better received in Letter #182?
5. How long does Tolkien indicate he has been working with the imaginary realms in Letter #130?
This section contains 311 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)