|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11, To Anne Barrett of Houghton Mifflin Co..
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the main subject of Letters #146, 147, and 148?
(a) Getting the books into their published form.
(b) Rewriting the beginnings of the books.
(c) Rewriting the endings of the books.
(d) Getting enough advance copies of the book available.
2. How does Tolkien respond to the publisher's actions with the cover designs in "Now the Books Themselves"?
(a) He is upset.
(b) He is confused.
(c) He is unresponsive.
(d) He is thankful.
3. What is the skill or ability of the Elves'?
4. Where does the conversation about accents take place that Tolkien discusses in his letter to Christopher?
(a) In a car.
(b) In a boat.
(c) On a plane.
(d) On a train.
5. As mentioned in Letter #66, why does Tolkien think that he will have to move some of the sections of his book?
(a) They do not have the same writing style as the other sections.
(b) They are too short.
(c) They are too long.
(d) They do not fit in with the storyline.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tolkien feel when he looks at his work in the revision stages?
2. In general, why do Tolkien and C.S. Lewis meet several times?
3. When does the history of the Elves begin?
4. What happens to the wearer of the One Ring in Tolkien's story?
5. Who participates in the Machine?
This section contains 268 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)