|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11, To Anne Barrett of Houghton Mifflin Co..
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does the history of the Elves begin?
(a) Just after humanity.
(b) Long before humanity.
(c) Just before humanity.
(d) Long after humanity.
2. How does Tolkien describe the writing of The Hobbit to Christopher?
(a) Both easy and difficult.
(d) Neither easy nor difficult.
3. What does Tolkien offer to the schoolboy in Letter #114?
(a) The first draft of a never released manuscript.
(b) Early copies of documents.
(c) Monogrammed stationery.
(d) An encyclopedia set.
4. How does Tolkien sign Letter #165?
(a) John Tolkien.
(b) J.R.R. Tolkien.
(c) John Ronald Reuel Tolkien.
(d) John Ronald Tolkien.
5. When does Tolkien write to Unwin about C.S. Lewis in "Now the Books Themselves"?
(a) November 19.
(b) September 19.
(c) November 9.
(d) September 9.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the letters selected for "To Unwin about The Hobbit" have in common?
2. As stated in the letters included in "Publisher Drama," how many times does Tolkien have the chance to use the poetic invention he makes?
3. After the Hobbits originate, where does the Dark Power that Tolkien describes in Letter #131 exist?
4. What year does Tolkien write to his publisher with his thoughts on the original cover designs?
5. What is the first topic discussed in Tolkien's letter to Unwin about C.S. Lewis in "Now the Books Themselves"?
This section contains 245 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)