|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7, Publisher Drama.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which one of Tolkien's books explains the history of Elvenkind?
(a) <i>The Hobbit</i>.
(b) <i>The Silmarillion</i>.
(c) <i>The Lord of the Rings</i>.
(d) <i>The Legend of Sigurd and Gudrún</i>.
2. What is the only thing capable of destroying the Ring in Tolkien's story?
(a) A special type of fire.
(b) A certain magical spell.
(c) The power generated from another ring.
(d) The water from a specific river.
3. Who does Tolkien say are the only people interested in reading his literary works in Letter #115?
(a) Only his wife and son.
(b) C.S. Lewis and his wife.
(c) C.S. Lewis and his son.
(d) Only C.S. Lewis.
4. How much of <i>The Silmarillion</i> takes place before the arrival of human beings?
(a) All of it.
(b) The majority of it.
(c) Very little of it.
(d) None of it.
5. Who is the initial publisher for Tolkien's books when "Publisher Drama" begins?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Tolkien express gratitude to in Letter #6?
2. What happens to the wearer of the One Ring in Tolkien's story?
3. What does Tolkien explain he uses in developing his fascination with imaginary worlds?
4. How does Tolkien describe the alteration he is contemplating making to his manuscript in Letter #128?
5. As stated in the letters included in "Publisher Drama," how many times does Tolkien have the chance to use the poetic invention he makes?
This section contains 292 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)