|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7, Publisher Drama.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What issue does a woman's presence raise for Tolkien in "Publisher Drama"?
(a) Poems vs. short stories.
(b) Novels vs. poems.
(c) Published works vs. unpublished works.
(d) The spoken word vs. the written word.
2. How does Tolkien consider the term "Elves"?
(a) He thinks it is senseless.
(b) He thinks it is amusing.
(c) He thinks it is misleading.
(d) He thinks it is undefined.
3. How many times do the Elves and the Dwarves share an enduring friendship throughout their history?
(b) Four times.
(c) Three times.
4. Which character does Tolkien indicate has gained the most power by wearing the Ring?
(b) The Witch-king of Angmar.
5. What two factors contribute to the main part of Letter #66 to Christopher?
(a) Real life and the idea of living in an imaginary world.
(b) Fiction and the writing of an imaginary world.
(c) Real life and the writing of an imaginary world.
(d) Fiction and the idea of living in an imaginary world.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year are the earliest letters in the book written?
2. How do the Hobbits respond to magic in Tolkien's stories?
3. According to Tolkien in Letter #131, what is the source of magic in his stories?
4. What is causing the culture of the Elves to suffer?
5. Where is the man whose accent Tolkien refers to as "English after being wiped over with a dirty sponge" from?
This section contains 277 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)