|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7, Publisher Drama.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which one of Tolkien's books explains the history of Elvenkind?
(a) The Silmarillion.
(b) The Hobbit.
(c) The Lord of the Rings.
(d) The Legend of Sigurd and Gudrún.
2. As Tolkien explains in Letter #131, what motivates The Enemy in his stories?
(a) Good intentions.
(b) Unknown intentions.
(c) Evil intentions.
(d) Complicated intentions.
3. How long is the summary that Tolkien's new publisher asks him to write at the end of "Publisher Drama"?
(a) Fifty words.
(b) One-hundred-and-fifty words.
(c) One-hundred words.
(d) Two-hundred words.
4. What is Allen & Unwin?
(a) A publishing house.
(b) A law firm.
(c) A printing service.
(d) A bank.
5. What happens to the wearer of the One Ring in Tolkien's story?
(a) They are transformed into a Hobbit.
(b) They are transformed into an Elf.
(c) They are given immortality.
(d) They are given mind powers.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the person that Tolkien thanks, and is the recipient of Letter #130?
2. How does Tolkien describe the writing of The Hobbit to Christopher?
3. How long is Tolkien separated from Edith, making his affection for her grow stronger?
4. How does Tolkien describe the alteration he is contemplating making to his manuscript in Letter #128?
5. What is the only thing capable of destroying the Ring in Tolkien's story?
This section contains 238 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)