|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7, Publisher Drama.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What assertion does Tolkien make about Farmer Giles of Ham?
(a) It is not a children's book.
(b) It is his longest work to date.
(c) It is a children's book.
(d) It is an unfinished work.
2. Who leads The Enemy in Tolkien's stories?
(b) The Nazgul.
3. What book inspired a schoolboy to write to Tolkien, prompting his response in Letter #114?
(a) The Hobbit.
(b) The Silmarillion.
(c) Beowulf: The Monsters and the Critics.
(d) The Lord of the Rings.
4. In Letter #131, what reason does Tolkien reveal for creating his alternate world of fiction?
(a) To recreate a world that he had read about as a child.
(b) To fill the English people's need for their own fairy tale.
(c) To provide an example for how a society should be constructed.
(d) To make a world that is completely unbelievable in every way.
5. What invention does Tolkien make when writing the poem being discussed with Unwin?
(a) A new world.
(b) A new word.
(c) A new genre.
(d) A new meter.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the result of a friendship between the Elves and the Dwarves, as Tolkien explains in Letter #131?
2. What words does Tolkien use to replace "Elves"?
3. What German word meaning "essential" does Tolkien refer to in Letter #6, stating that it is actually viewed as an English word?
4. How does Tolkien design the book, Farmer Giles of Ham?
5. Based on the information in the Introduction, how many chapters does the book have?
This section contains 290 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)