|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7, Publisher Drama.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Letter #130, what distinction does Tolkien make about the artificial languages he creates for his books?
(a) They are the opposite of an actual real life language.
(b) They are seldom used in real life.
(c) They are a combination of two real-life languages.
(d) They are never used in real life.
2. How much of The Silmarillion takes place before the arrival of human beings?
(a) None of it.
(b) All of it.
(c) The majority of it.
(d) Very little of it.
3. During the time these letters are written, what term do the British typically use to label Americans?
(b) City folk.
4. Who leads The Enemy in Tolkien's stories?
(c) The Nazgul.
5. How is the Machine described in Letter #131?
(a) Industrialized and disciplined.
(b) Neither disciplined nor industrialized.
(c) Industrialized, but undisciplined.
(d) Disciplined, but not industrialized.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tolkien describe the alteration he is contemplating making to his manuscript in Letter #128?
2. Which character does Tolkien indicate has gained the most power by wearing the Ring?
3. How long is the summary that Tolkien's new publisher asks him to write at the end of "Publisher Drama"?
4. How many improvements does Tolkien indicate he has made to the manuscript for Farmer Giles of Ham?
5. What invention does Tolkien make when writing the poem being discussed with Unwin?
This section contains 248 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)