|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7, Publisher Drama.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As mentioned in Letter #69, which specific part of his manuscript does Tolkien plan on revising?
(a) Where the Moon has risen and set.
(b) When the Sun has risen and set.
(c) Where the Sun has risen and set.
(d) When the Moon has risen and set.
2. What point does Tolkien make about his book, The Silmarillion, in Letter #131?
(a) It is not about humans.
(b) The themes of the book are intentionally complex.
(c) The themes of the book are intentionally simple.
(d) It is about humans.
3. What is left out of the letters included in "To Unwin about The Hobbit"?
(a) The full names of the people that the letters are addressed to.
(b) The endings of the letters.
(c) Months and dates.
(d) Personal information.
4. Why does Tolkien's new publisher need a summary of the books?
(a) To use for copyrighting the work.
(b) To use for publicity.
(c) To include on the back cover.
(d) To include on the inside cover.
5. Which poem does Rayner Unwin initially write to Tolkien about?
(a) "The Princess Ni."
(b) "Once Upon a Time."
Short Answer Questions
1. Who participates in the Machine?
2. In what year are the earliest letters in the book written?
3. Where does the friendship between the Elves and the Dwarves that Tolkien refers to in Letter #131 take place?
4. What has Tolkien found in his manuscript when he writes Letter #69?
5. During the time these letters are written, what term do the British typically use to label Americans?
This section contains 258 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)