|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7, Publisher Drama.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tolkien explain he uses in developing his fascination with imaginary worlds?
(a) His skills, abilities, and sense of humor.
(b) His abilities and sense of humor.
(c) His skills and abilities.
(d) His skills and sense of humor.
2. In describing the power of the pen, what aspect of fiction writing does Tolkien refer to when explaining his own writing process and the way he invents characters?
(a) The extensive research done before writing.
(b) The extensive reading of other fiction done before writing.
(c) The unpredictability of it.
(d) The predictability of it.
3. When does the history of the Elves begin?
(a) Just after humanity.
(b) Just before humanity.
(c) Long after humanity.
(d) Long before humanity.
4. What chapter of the book that Tolkien is working on is he considering altering in Letter #128?
(a) Chapter 5.
(b) Chapter 8.
(c) Chapter 10.
(d) Chapter 3.
5. How many improvements does Tolkien indicate he has made to the manuscript for Farmer Giles of Ham?
(b) Only a few.
(c) Too many to count.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the letters selected for "To Unwin about The Hobbit" have in common?
2. What is causing the culture of the Elves to suffer?
3. Which of the following is the main thing that separates the Hobbits and the enemy?
4. As mentioned by Tolkien in Letter #131, when do the Hobbits first come into being?
5. In Letter #131, what reason does Tolkien reveal for creating his alternate world of fiction?
This section contains 337 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)