|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7, Publisher Drama.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is the Machine described in Letter #131?
(a) Neither disciplined nor industrialized.
(b) Industrialized, but undisciplined.
(c) Disciplined, but not industrialized.
(d) Industrialized and disciplined.
2. Which one of the following best describes Tolkien's recount of the history surrounding his poem in "Publisher Drama"?
3. What is the result of a friendship between the Elves and the Dwarves, as Tolkien explains in Letter #131?
(a) An improvement in education.
(b) A decline of the arts.
(c) An improvement in the arts.
(d) A decline of education.
4. Why does Tolkien's new publisher need a summary of the books?
(a) To use for copyrighting the work.
(b) To use for publicity.
(c) To include on the inside cover.
(d) To include on the back cover.
5. In Letter #131, what reason does Tolkien reveal for creating his alternate world of fiction?
(a) To recreate a world that he had read about as a child.
(b) To provide an example for how a society should be constructed.
(c) To fill the English people's need for their own fairy tale.
(d) To make a world that is completely unbelievable in every way.
Short Answer Questions
1. What request is made of Tolkien after he finishes Farmer Giles of Ham?
2. How old is J.R.R. Tolkien in the first letter?
3. As mentioned in Letter #69, which specific part of his manuscript does Tolkien plan on revising?
4. Based on the information in the Introduction, how many chapters does the book have?
5. How does Tolkien think children will respond to Farmer Giles of Ham?
This section contains 332 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)