|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7, Publisher Drama.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many other men are traveling with Tolkien during his conversation about accents?
2. In Letter #130, what distinction does Tolkien make about the artificial languages he creates for his books?
(a) They are a combination of two real-life languages.
(b) They are seldom used in real life.
(c) They are the opposite of an actual real life language.
(d) They are never used in real life.
3. Where does the friendship between the Elves and the Dwarves that Tolkien refers to in Letter #131 take place?
(a) The Shire.
(c) The Misty Mountains.
(d) Fangorn Forest.
4. What is the only thing capable of destroying the Ring in Tolkien's story?
(a) A certain magical spell.
(b) A special type of fire.
(c) The power generated from another ring.
(d) The water from a specific river.
5. How does Tolkien describe the domestic problems he is having in a letter before he moves to a small house?
Short Answer Questions
1. What request is made of Tolkien after he finishes Farmer Giles of Ham?
2. What is the result of a friendship between the Elves and the Dwarves, as Tolkien explains in Letter #131?
3. In describing the power of the pen, what aspect of fiction writing does Tolkien refer to when explaining his own writing process and the way he invents characters?
4. What is causing the culture of the Elves to suffer?
5. What German word meaning "essential" does Tolkien refer to in Letter #6, stating that it is actually viewed as an English word?
This section contains 341 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)