|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7, Publisher Drama.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In describing the power of the pen, what aspect of fiction writing does Tolkien refer to when explaining his own writing process and the way he invents characters?
(a) The predictability of it.
(b) The extensive research done before writing.
(c) The extensive reading of other fiction done before writing.
(d) The unpredictability of it.
2. How does Tolkien describe the alteration he is contemplating making to his manuscript in Letter #128?
3. As mentioned by Tolkien in Letter #131, when do the Hobbits first come into being?
(a) The Third Age.
(b) The First Age.
(c) The Second Age.
(d) The Fourth Age.
4. What do the letters selected for "To Unwin about The Hobbit" have in common?
(a) They are all less than one-page long.
(b) They refer to Tolkien's most well known works.
(c) They refer to Tolkien's least known works.
(d) They are all over five pages.
5. Who is the person that Tolkien thanks, and is the recipient of Letter #130?
(a) George Allen.
(b) Rayner Unwin.
(c) Milton Waldman.
(d) Humphrey Carpenter.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is causing the culture of the Elves to suffer?
2. What happens to the wearer of the One Ring in Tolkien's story?
3. In what year are the earliest letters in the book written?
4. Who does Tolkien express gratitude to in Letter #6?
5. As stated in the letters included in "Publisher Drama," how many times does Tolkien have the chance to use the poetic invention he makes?
This section contains 285 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)