|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7, Publisher Drama.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Letter #27, which of the following does Tolkien say that he will leave the drawing of to someone who can draw ?
2. What does Tolkien suggest is the greatest resource for the information the schoolboy is seeking in Letter #114?
(a) Beowulf: The Monsters and the Critics.
(b) The Lord of the Rings.
(c) The Silmarillion.
(d) The Hobbit.
3. How many improvements does Tolkien indicate he has made to the manuscript for Farmer Giles of Ham?
(a) Too many to count.
(d) Only a few.
4. When does the history of the Elves begin?
(a) Long before humanity.
(b) Just before humanity.
(c) Just after humanity.
(d) Long after humanity.
5. What does Tolkien offer to the schoolboy in Letter #114?
(a) The first draft of a never released manuscript.
(b) Early copies of documents.
(c) An encyclopedia set.
(d) Monogrammed stationery.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the Hobbits respond to magic in Tolkien's stories?
2. In Letter #131, what reason does Tolkien reveal for creating his alternate world of fiction?
3. How does Tolkien think children will respond to Farmer Giles of Ham?
4. How old is J.R.R. Tolkien in the first letter?
5. Based on the information in the Introduction, how many chapters does the book have?
This section contains 284 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)