|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6, After the Fall of the Elves.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What request is made of Tolkien after he finishes Farmer Giles of Ham?
(a) That he edit some of the book to make it shorter.
(b) That he write more stories to make a large volume.
(c) That he remove two of the characters.
(d) That he adds to the ending to make it more complete.
2. What will the alteration mean for the book Tolkien is writing in Letter #128?
(a) It will be designed to have a sequel.
(b) It will be designed not to have a sequel.
(c) It will be meant to be read by children.
(d) It will be meant not to be read by children.
3. How does Tolkien consider the term "Elves"?
(a) He thinks it is amusing.
(b) He thinks it is misleading.
(c) He thinks it is undefined.
(d) He thinks it is senseless.
4. During the time these letters are written, what term do the British typically use to label Americans?
(b) City folk.
5. In Letter #130, what distinction does Tolkien make about the artificial languages he creates for his books?
(a) They are never used in real life.
(b) They are seldom used in real life.
(c) They are a combination of two real-life languages.
(d) They are the opposite of an actual real life language.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many times do the Elves and the Dwarves share an enduring friendship throughout their history?
2. Where is the man whose accent Tolkien refers to as "English after being wiped over with a dirty sponge" from?
3. What book inspired a schoolboy to write to Tolkien, prompting his response in Letter #114?
4. What chapter of the book that Tolkien is working on is he considering altering in Letter #128?
5. As mentioned by Tolkien in Letter #131, when do the Hobbits first come into being?
This section contains 321 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)