|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6, After the Fall of the Elves.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Letter #130, what distinction does Tolkien make about the artificial languages he creates for his books?
(a) They are seldom used in real life.
(b) They are never used in real life.
(c) They are the opposite of an actual real life language.
(d) They are a combination of two real-life languages.
2. What has Tolkien found in his manuscript when he writes Letter #69?
(c) Too many metaphors.
(d) Too many analogies.
3. Which of the following is the main focal point of The Silmarillion?
4. Where is the man whose accent Tolkien refers to as "English after being wiped over with a dirty sponge" from?
(a) New England.
(b) New Hampshire.
5. Who provides the main order of the letters included in the book?
(a) J.R.R. Tolkien.
(b) Christopher Tolkien.
(c) Humphrey Carpenter.
(d) Edith Bratt.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which school is Tolkien attending when the first letter begins?
2. According to Tolkien in Letter #131, what is the source of magic in his stories?
3. What assertion does Tolkien make about Farmer Giles of Ham?
4. Which of the following is the main thing that separates the Hobbits and the enemy?
5. What German word meaning "essential" does Tolkien refer to in Letter #6, stating that it is actually viewed as an English word?
This section contains 263 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)