|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6, After the Fall of the Elves.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Tolkien in Letter #131, what is the source of magic in his stories?
(a) Neither the Machine nor the Elves.
(b) Only the Elves.
(c) Only the Machine.
(d) The Machine and the Elves.
2. How long does Tolkien indicate he has been working with the imaginary realms in Letter #130?
3. As mentioned in Letter #66, why does Tolkien think that he will have to move some of the sections of his book?
(a) They are too short.
(b) They do not have the same writing style as the other sections.
(c) They are too long.
(d) They do not fit in with the storyline.
4. How does Tolkien describe the change that he has made to his manuscript in Letter #129?
5. In general, why do Tolkien and C.S. Lewis meet several times?
(a) To edit each other's manuscripts.
(b) To play games.
(c) To give each other literary criticism.
(d) To discuss sports and politics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What book inspired a schoolboy to write to Tolkien, prompting his response in Letter #114?
2. Which of the following is the main focal point of The Silmarillion?
3. Who does Tolkien say are the only people interested in reading his literary works in Letter #115?
4. How is the Machine described in Letter #131?
5. How long is Tolkien separated from Edith, making his affection for her grow stronger?
This section contains 274 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)