|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6, After the Fall of the Elves.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much of The Silmarillion takes place before the arrival of human beings?
(a) None of it.
(b) All of it.
(c) The majority of it.
(d) Very little of it.
2. How is the Machine described in Letter #131?
(a) Industrialized and disciplined.
(b) Neither disciplined nor industrialized.
(c) Industrialized, but undisciplined.
(d) Disciplined, but not industrialized.
3. What do the letters selected for "To Unwin about The Hobbit" have in common?
(a) They are all less than one-page long.
(b) They refer to Tolkien's least known works.
(c) They are all over five pages.
(d) They refer to Tolkien's most well known works.
4. How does Tolkien consider the term "Elves"?
(a) He thinks it is amusing.
(b) He thinks it is undefined.
(c) He thinks it is senseless.
(d) He thinks it is misleading.
5. How does Tolkien design the book, Farmer Giles of Ham?
(a) To be read aloud.
(b) To be read as several separate stories.
(c) Not to be read aloud.
(d) To be read in one sitting.
Short Answer Questions
1. What German word meaning "essential" does Tolkien refer to in Letter #6, stating that it is actually viewed as an English word?
2. According to the information provided in Letter #69, how often does Tolkien write to Christopher?
3. Who does Tolkien express gratitude to in Letter #6?
4. When does the history of the Elves begin?
5. Who provides the main order of the letters included in the book?
This section contains 261 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)