|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6, After the Fall of the Elves.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many improvements does Tolkien indicate he has made to the manuscript for <i>Farmer Giles of Ham</i>?
(a) Too many to count.
(d) Only a few.
2. When does the history of the Elves begin?
(a) Long after humanity.
(b) Just after humanity.
(c) Long before humanity.
(d) Just before humanity.
3. What chapter of the book that Tolkien is working on is he considering altering in Letter #128?
(a) Chapter 3.
(b) Chapter 5.
(c) Chapter 10.
(d) Chapter 8.
4. Where is the man whose accent Tolkien refers to as "English after being wiped over with a dirty sponge" from?
(a) New England.
(d) New Hampshire.
5. How long is Tolkien separated from Edith, making his affection for her grow stronger?
(a) Two years.
(b) Three years.
(c) Four years.
(d) One year.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much of <i>The Silmarillion</i> takes place before the arrival of human beings?
2. Who leads The Enemy in Tolkien's stories?
3. How does Tolkien describe the writing of <i>The Hobbit</i> to Christopher?
4. What book inspired a schoolboy to write to Tolkien, prompting his response in Letter #114?
5. Which character does Tolkien indicate has gained the most power by wearing the Ring?
This section contains 238 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)