|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6, After the Fall of the Elves.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Tolkien design the book, Farmer Giles of Ham?
(a) To be read as several separate stories.
(b) To be read in one sitting.
(c) To be read aloud.
(d) Not to be read aloud.
2. Which character does Tolkien indicate has gained the most power by wearing the Ring?
(a) The Witch-king of Angmar.
3. What does Tolkien suggest is the greatest resource for the information the schoolboy is seeking in Letter #114?
(a) Beowulf: The Monsters and the Critics.
(b) The Silmarillion.
(c) The Lord of the Rings.
(d) The Hobbit.
4. What has Tolkien found in his manuscript when he writes Letter #69?
(a) Too many metaphors.
(d) Too many analogies.
5. What is the skill or ability of the Elves'?
Short Answer Questions
1. How long is Tolkien separated from Edith, making his affection for her grow stronger?
2. Which school is Tolkien attending when the first letter begins?
3. What chapter of the book that Tolkien is working on is he considering altering in Letter #128?
4. How do the Hobbits respond to magic in Tolkien's stories?
5. How many improvements does Tolkien indicate he has made to the manuscript for Farmer Giles of Ham?
This section contains 229 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)