|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6, After the Fall of the Elves.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has Tolkien found in his manuscript when he writes Letter #69?
(b) Too many metaphors.
(c) Too many analogies.
2. What is Allen & Unwin?
(a) A bank.
(b) A publishing house.
(c) A printing service.
(d) A law firm.
3. Who provides the main order of the letters included in the book?
(a) J.R.R. Tolkien.
(b) Christopher Tolkien.
(c) Humphrey Carpenter.
(d) Edith Bratt.
4. How does Tolkien describe the change that he has made to his manuscript in Letter #129?
5. What request is made of Tolkien after he finishes Farmer Giles of Ham?
(a) That he adds to the ending to make it more complete.
(b) That he remove two of the characters.
(c) That he edit some of the book to make it shorter.
(d) That he write more stories to make a large volume.
Short Answer Questions
1. What point does Tolkien make about his book, The Silmarillion, in Letter #131?
2. What German word meaning "essential" does Tolkien refer to in Letter #6, stating that it is actually viewed as an English word?
3. After the Hobbits originate, where does the Dark Power that Tolkien describes in Letter #131 exist?
4. Where does the conversation about accents take place that Tolkien discusses in his letter to Christopher?
5. According to Tolkien in Letter #131, what is the source of magic in his stories?
This section contains 267 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)