|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6, After the Fall of the Elves.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Tolkien explains in Letter #131, what motivates The Enemy in his stories?
(a) Complicated intentions.
(b) Good intentions.
(c) Evil intentions.
(d) Unknown intentions.
2. What two factors contribute to the main part of Letter #66 to Christopher?
(a) Real life and the idea of living in an imaginary world.
(b) Fiction and the writing of an imaginary world.
(c) Fiction and the idea of living in an imaginary world.
(d) Real life and the writing of an imaginary world.
3. How long does Tolkien indicate he has been working with the imaginary realms in Letter #130?
4. Who participates in the Machine?
(a) Mortals, Elves, and Hobbits.
5. Who leads The Enemy in Tolkien's stories?
(a) The Nazgul.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Letter #131, what reason does Tolkien reveal for creating his alternate world of fiction?
2. What has Tolkien found in his manuscript when he writes Letter #69?
3. What is the result of a friendship between the Elves and the Dwarves, as Tolkien explains in Letter #131?
4. As mentioned in Letter #69, which specific part of his manuscript does Tolkien plan on revising?
5. Which school is Tolkien attending when the first letter begins?
This section contains 284 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)