|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6, After the Fall of the Elves.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is J.R.R. Tolkien in the first letter?
2. Which character does Tolkien indicate has gained the most power by wearing the Ring?
(c) The Witch-king of Angmar.
3. What do the letters selected for "To Unwin about The Hobbit" have in common?
(a) They are all over five pages.
(b) They refer to Tolkien's most well known works.
(c) They are all less than one-page long.
(d) They refer to Tolkien's least known works.
4. How does Tolkien describe the change that he has made to his manuscript in Letter #129?
5. What is causing the culture of the Elves to suffer?
(a) The lack of resources.
(b) The psychological effects of their immortality.
(c) The limited education.
(d) The abundance of different cultures.
Short Answer Questions
1. What assertion does Tolkien make about Farmer Giles of Ham?
2. What is left out of the letters included in "To Unwin about The Hobbit"?
3. How long is Tolkien separated from Edith, making his affection for her grow stronger?
4. What has Tolkien found in his manuscript when he writes Letter #69?
5. During the time these letters are written, what term do the British typically use to label Americans?
This section contains 257 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)