|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6, After the Fall of the Elves.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is the main focal point of The Silmarillion?
2. How long does Tolkien indicate he has been working with the imaginary realms in Letter #130?
3. Who participates in the Machine?
(c) Mortals, Elves, and Hobbits.
4. What two factors contribute to the main part of Letter #66 to Christopher?
(a) Real life and the idea of living in an imaginary world.
(b) Real life and the writing of an imaginary world.
(c) Fiction and the idea of living in an imaginary world.
(d) Fiction and the writing of an imaginary world.
5. Who does Tolkien say are the only people interested in reading his literary works in Letter #115?
(a) Only his wife and son.
(b) Only C.S. Lewis.
(c) C.S. Lewis and his son.
(d) C.S. Lewis and his wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the letters selected for "To Unwin about The Hobbit" have in common?
2. As mentioned by Tolkien in Letter #131, when do the Hobbits first come into being?
3. What is left out of the letters included in "To Unwin about The Hobbit"?
4. As Tolkien explains in Letter #131, what motivates The Enemy in his stories?
5. How many other men are traveling with Tolkien during his conversation about accents?
This section contains 275 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)