|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6, After the Fall of the Elves.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is J.R.R. Tolkien in the first letter?
2. What is left out of the letters included in "To Unwin about The Hobbit"?
(a) The endings of the letters.
(b) The full names of the people that the letters are addressed to.
(c) Personal information.
(d) Months and dates.
3. How is the Machine described in Letter #131?
(a) Neither disciplined nor industrialized.
(b) Industrialized, but undisciplined.
(c) Industrialized and disciplined.
(d) Disciplined, but not industrialized.
4. How does Tolkien describe the writing of The Hobbit to Christopher?
(a) Neither easy nor difficult.
(c) Both easy and difficult.
5. According to the information provided in Letter #69, how often does Tolkien write to Christopher?
(b) It is not clear.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many Rings of Power does the One Ring control?
2. In what year are the earliest letters in the book written?
3. What German word meaning "essential" does Tolkien refer to in Letter #6, stating that it is actually viewed as an English word?
4. Based on the information in the Introduction, how many chapters does the book have?
5. What is causing the culture of the Elves to suffer?
This section contains 210 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)