|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6, After the Fall of the Elves.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is the main thing that separates the Hobbits and the enemy?
(a) A lack of knowledge.
(b) A misunderstanding.
(c) The quest for power.
(d) The quest for gold.
2. What assertion does Tolkien make about Farmer Giles of Ham?
(a) It is his longest work to date.
(b) It is a children's book.
(c) It is an unfinished work.
(d) It is not a children's book.
3. What will the alteration mean for the book Tolkien is writing in Letter #128?
(a) It will be meant not to be read by children.
(b) It will be designed to have a sequel.
(c) It will be meant to be read by children.
(d) It will be designed not to have a sequel.
4. What is causing the culture of the Elves to suffer?
(a) The lack of resources.
(b) The psychological effects of their immortality.
(c) The limited education.
(d) The abundance of different cultures.
5. In general, why do Tolkien and C.S. Lewis meet several times?
(a) To give each other literary criticism.
(b) To edit each other's manuscripts.
(c) To play games.
(d) To discuss sports and politics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tolkien suggest is the greatest resource for the information the schoolboy is seeking in Letter #114?
2. How is the Machine described in Letter #131?
3. What words does Tolkien use to replace "Elves"?
4. Where does the conversation about accents take place that Tolkien discusses in his letter to Christopher?
5. What book inspired a schoolboy to write to Tolkien, prompting his response in Letter #114?
This section contains 301 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)