|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6, After the Fall of the Elves.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In general, why do Tolkien and C.S. Lewis meet several times?
(a) To edit each other's manuscripts.
(b) To give each other literary criticism.
(c) To discuss sports and politics.
(d) To play games.
2. What two factors contribute to the main part of Letter #66 to Christopher?
(a) Real life and the idea of living in an imaginary world.
(b) Real life and the writing of an imaginary world.
(c) Fiction and the idea of living in an imaginary world.
(d) Fiction and the writing of an imaginary world.
3. What does Tolkien offer to the schoolboy in Letter #114?
(a) Early copies of documents.
(b) The first draft of a never released manuscript.
(c) An encyclopedia set.
(d) Monogrammed stationery.
4. How does Tolkien describe the alteration he is contemplating making to his manuscript in Letter #128?
5. Where does the friendship between the Elves and the Dwarves that Tolkien refers to in Letter #131 take place?
(a) The Shire.
(b) Fangorn Forest.
(d) The Misty Mountains.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the letters selected for "To Unwin about The Hobbit" have in common?
2. How does Tolkien think children will respond to Farmer Giles of Ham?
3. What does Tolkien explain he uses in developing his fascination with imaginary worlds?
4. Which of the following is the main thing that separates the Hobbits and the enemy?
5. How much of The Silmarillion takes place before the arrival of human beings?
This section contains 319 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)