|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6, After the Fall of the Elves.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the skill or ability of the Elves'?
2. Which school is Tolkien attending when the first letter begins?
3. What book inspired a schoolboy to write to Tolkien, prompting his response in Letter #114?
(a) The Hobbit.
(b) The Lord of the Rings.
(c) The Silmarillion.
(d) Beowulf: The Monsters and the Critics.
4. What is left out of the letters included in "To Unwin about The Hobbit"?
(a) The endings of the letters.
(b) Personal information.
(c) Months and dates.
(d) The full names of the people that the letters are addressed to.
5. What German word meaning "essential" does Tolkien refer to in Letter #6, stating that it is actually viewed as an English word?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the only thing capable of destroying the Ring in Tolkien's story?
2. What chapter of the book that Tolkien is working on is he considering altering in Letter #128?
3. As mentioned by Tolkien in Letter #131, when do the Hobbits first come into being?
4. How does Tolkien design the book, Farmer Giles of Ham?
5. Who is the person that Tolkien thanks, and is the recipient of Letter #130?
This section contains 250 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)