|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6, After the Fall of the Elves.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many times do the Elves and the Dwarves share an enduring friendship throughout their history?
(c) Four times.
(d) Three times.
2. How many Rings of Power does the One Ring control?
3. What book inspired a schoolboy to write to Tolkien, prompting his response in Letter #114?
(a) Beowulf: The Monsters and the Critics.
(b) The Lord of the Rings.
(c) The Hobbit.
(d) The Silmarillion.
4. What assertion does Tolkien make about Farmer Giles of Ham?
(a) It is his longest work to date.
(b) It is an unfinished work.
(c) It is not a children's book.
(d) It is a children's book.
5. In general, why do Tolkien and C.S. Lewis meet several times?
(a) To edit each other's manuscripts.
(b) To play games.
(c) To discuss sports and politics.
(d) To give each other literary criticism.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what month does Tolkien write to Christopher about the writing process for The Hobbit?
2. In Letter #130, what distinction does Tolkien make about the artificial languages he creates for his books?
3. What is the result of a friendship between the Elves and the Dwarves, as Tolkien explains in Letter #131?
4. How old is J.R.R. Tolkien in the first letter?
5. What two factors contribute to the main part of Letter #66 to Christopher?
This section contains 297 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)