|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6, After the Fall of the Elves.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In general, why do Tolkien and C.S. Lewis meet several times?
(a) To edit each other's manuscripts.
(b) To give each other literary criticism.
(c) To discuss sports and politics.
(d) To play games.
2. In Letter #130, what distinction does Tolkien make about the artificial languages he creates for his books?
(a) They are seldom used in real life.
(b) They are never used in real life.
(c) They are a combination of two real-life languages.
(d) They are the opposite of an actual real life language.
3. What has Tolkien found in his manuscript when he writes Letter #69?
(a) Too many analogies.
(c) Too many metaphors.
4. What happens to the wearer of the One Ring in Tolkien's story?
(a) They are transformed into an Elf.
(b) They are transformed into a Hobbit.
(c) They are given mind powers.
(d) They are given immortality.
5. What does Tolkien offer to the schoolboy in Letter #114?
(a) An encyclopedia set.
(b) Early copies of documents.
(c) The first draft of a never released manuscript.
(d) Monogrammed stationery.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the conversation about accents take place that Tolkien discusses in his letter to Christopher?
2. How does Tolkien think children will respond to <i>Farmer Giles of Ham</i>?
3. After the Hobbits originate, where does the Dark Power that Tolkien describes in Letter #131 exist?
4. What request is made of Tolkien after he finishes <i>Farmer Giles of Ham</i>?
5. How many times do the Elves and the Dwarves share an enduring friendship throughout their history?
This section contains 315 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)