|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6, After the Fall of the Elves.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Tolkien express gratitude to in Letter #6?
(a) Mrs. C.S. Wright.
(b) Mrs. E.M. White.
(c) Mrs. E.M. Wright.
(d) Mrs. C.S. White.
2. How long does Tolkien indicate he has been working with the imaginary realms in Letter #130?
3. How many improvements does Tolkien indicate he has made to the manuscript for Farmer Giles of Ham?
(b) Too many to count.
(c) Only a few.
4. What does Tolkien offer to the schoolboy in Letter #114?
(a) The first draft of a never released manuscript.
(b) Early copies of documents.
(c) Monogrammed stationery.
(d) An encyclopedia set.
5. How does Tolkien describe the writing of The Hobbit to Christopher?
(b) Neither easy nor difficult.
(d) Both easy and difficult.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many times do the Elves and the Dwarves share an enduring friendship throughout their history?
2. During the time these letters are written, what term do the British typically use to label Americans?
3. Which character does Tolkien indicate has gained the most power by wearing the Ring?
4. What assertion does Tolkien make about Farmer Giles of Ham?
5. What words does Tolkien use to replace "Elves"?
This section contains 235 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)