|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, To Unwin about The Hobbit.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What chapter of the book that Tolkien is working on is he considering altering in Letter #128?
(a) Chapter 3.
(b) Chapter 5.
(c) Chapter 10.
(d) Chapter 8.
2. What has Tolkien found in his manuscript when he writes Letter #69?
(a) Too many metaphors.
(d) Too many analogies.
3. What is Allen & Unwin?
(a) A printing service.
(b) A publishing house.
(c) A bank.
(d) A law firm.
4. How does Tolkien think children will respond to Farmer Giles of Ham?
(a) They will not like it.
(b) He encourages them not to read it.
(c) They will not understand it.
(d) They might like it.
5. What German word meaning "essential" does Tolkien refer to in Letter #6, stating that it is actually viewed as an English word?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tolkien describe the change that he has made to his manuscript in Letter #129?
2. How many other men are traveling with Tolkien during his conversation about accents?
3. What does Tolkien suggest is the greatest resource for the information the schoolboy is seeking in Letter #114?
4. How does Tolkien describe the writing of The Hobbit to Christopher?
5. What words does Tolkien use to replace "Elves"?
This section contains 222 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)