|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, To Unwin about The Hobbit.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who provides input , feedback, and advice for the letters in the book?
(a) Edith Bratt.
(b) J.R.R. Tolkien.
(c) Christopher Tolkien.
(d) Humphrey Carpenter.
2. What does Tolkien suggest is the greatest resource for the information the schoolboy is seeking in Letter #114?
(a) The Hobbit.
(b) Beowulf: The Monsters and the Critics.
(c) The Lord of the Rings.
(d) The Silmarillion.
3. What will the alteration mean for the book Tolkien is writing in Letter #128?
(a) It will be designed to have a sequel.
(b) It will be designed not to have a sequel.
(c) It will be meant to be read by children.
(d) It will be meant not to be read by children.
4. In what year are the earliest letters in the book written?
5. How many improvements does Tolkien indicate he has made to the manuscript for Farmer Giles of Ham?
(c) Only a few.
(d) Too many to count.
Short Answer Questions
1. In describing the power of the pen, what aspect of fiction writing does Tolkien refer to when explaining his own writing process and the way he invents characters?
2. In Letter, #6, to what college subject does Tolkien refer?
3. What does Tolkien offer to the schoolboy in Letter #114?
4. Based on the information in the Introduction, how many chapters does the book have?
5. What words does Tolkien use to replace "Elves"?
This section contains 271 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)