|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, To Unwin about The Hobbit.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the letters selected for "To Unwin about The Hobbit" have in common?
(a) They are all less than one-page long.
(b) They refer to Tolkien's least known works.
(c) They are all over five pages.
(d) They refer to Tolkien's most well known works.
2. Who provides the main order of the letters included in the book?
(a) Humphrey Carpenter.
(b) Christopher Tolkien.
(c) Edith Bratt.
(d) J.R.R. Tolkien.
3. In describing the power of the pen, what aspect of fiction writing does Tolkien refer to when explaining his own writing process and the way he invents characters?
(a) The extensive reading of other fiction done before writing.
(b) The extensive research done before writing.
(c) The unpredictability of it.
(d) The predictability of it.
4. How does Tolkien describe the alteration he is contemplating making to his manuscript in Letter #128?
5. What is Allen & Unwin?
(a) A publishing house.
(b) A bank.
(c) A printing service.
(d) A law firm.
Short Answer Questions
1. What request is made of Tolkien after he finishes Farmer Giles of Ham?
2. Who does Tolkien express gratitude to in Letter #6?
3. How does Tolkien consider the term "Elves"?
4. Which school is Tolkien attending when the first letter begins?
5. Who does Tolkien say are the only people interested in reading his literary works in Letter #115?
This section contains 303 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)