|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, To Unwin about The Hobbit.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Tolkien express gratitude to in Letter #6?
(a) Mrs. C.S. Wright.
(b) Mrs. E.M. Wright.
(c) Mrs. C.S. White.
(d) Mrs. E.M. White.
2. Who is the person that Tolkien thanks, and is the recipient of Letter #130?
(a) Humphrey Carpenter.
(b) Rayner Unwin.
(c) George Allen.
(d) Milton Waldman.
3. In general, why do Tolkien and C.S. Lewis meet several times?
(a) To give each other literary criticism.
(b) To play games.
(c) To discuss sports and politics.
(d) To edit each other's manuscripts.
4. Who provides input , feedback, and advice for the letters in the book?
(a) J.R.R. Tolkien.
(b) Christopher Tolkien.
(c) Edith Bratt.
(d) Humphrey Carpenter.
5. What assertion does Tolkien make about Farmer Giles of Ham?
(a) It is a children's book.
(b) It is his longest work to date.
(c) It is not a children's book.
(d) It is an unfinished work.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Letter #130, what distinction does Tolkien make about the artificial languages he creates for his books?
2. What German word meaning "essential" does Tolkien refer to in Letter #6, stating that it is actually viewed as an English word?
3. According to the information provided in Letter #69, how often does Tolkien write to Christopher?
4. Which school is Tolkien attending when the first letter begins?
5. What book inspired a schoolboy to write to Tolkien, prompting his response in Letter #114?
This section contains 268 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)