|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, To Unwin about The Hobbit.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Tolkien say are the only people interested in reading his literary works in Letter #115?
(a) C.S. Lewis and his wife.
(b) Only C.S. Lewis.
(c) C.S. Lewis and his son.
(d) Only his wife and son.
2. Where does the conversation about accents take place that Tolkien discusses in his letter to Christopher?
(a) On a plane.
(b) On a train.
(c) In a boat.
(d) In a car.
3. What do the letters selected for "To Unwin about The Hobbit" have in common?
(a) They refer to Tolkien's most well known works.
(b) They are all less than one-page long.
(c) They refer to Tolkien's least known works.
(d) They are all over five pages.
4. Who provides input , feedback, and advice for the letters in the book?
(a) Humphrey Carpenter.
(b) Christopher Tolkien.
(c) J.R.R. Tolkien.
(d) Edith Bratt.
5. What does Tolkien explain he uses in developing his fascination with imaginary worlds?
(a) His skills and abilities.
(b) His skills and sense of humor.
(c) His skills, abilities, and sense of humor.
(d) His abilities and sense of humor.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many other men are traveling with Tolkien during his conversation about accents?
2. Where is the man whose accent Tolkien refers to as "English after being wiped over with a dirty sponge" from?
3. As mentioned in Letter #69, which specific part of his manuscript does Tolkien plan on revising?
4. How does Tolkien consider the term "Elves"?
5. How old is J.R.R. Tolkien in the first letter?
This section contains 293 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)