|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, To Unwin about The Hobbit.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is J.R.R. Tolkien in the first letter?
2. What does Tolkien explain he uses in developing his fascination with imaginary worlds?
(a) His abilities and sense of humor.
(b) His skills and sense of humor.
(c) His skills, abilities, and sense of humor.
(d) His skills and abilities.
3. What German word meaning "essential" does Tolkien refer to in Letter #6, stating that it is actually viewed as an English word?
4. As mentioned in Letter #66, why does Tolkien think that he will have to move some of the sections of his book?
(a) They are too short.
(b) They are too long.
(c) They do not fit in with the storyline.
(d) They do not have the same writing style as the other sections.
5. In what month does Tolkien write to Christopher about the writing process for The Hobbit?
Short Answer Questions
1. What request is made of Tolkien after he finishes Farmer Giles of Ham?
2. How does Tolkien consider the term "Elves"?
3. Who does Tolkien say are the only people interested in reading his literary works in Letter #115?
4. Who does Tolkien express gratitude to in Letter #6?
5. How does Tolkien describe the alteration he is contemplating making to his manuscript in Letter #128?
This section contains 303 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)