|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, To Unwin about The Hobbit.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Tolkien express gratitude to in Letter #6?
(a) Mrs. E.M. Wright.
(b) Mrs. C.S. Wright.
(c) Mrs. E.M. White.
(d) Mrs. C.S. White.
2. What assertion does Tolkien make about <i>Farmer Giles of Ham</i>?
(a) It is not a children's book.
(b) It is an unfinished work.
(c) It is his longest work to date.
(d) It is a children's book.
3. How does Tolkien describe the alteration he is contemplating making to his manuscript in Letter #128?
4. In Letter #130, what distinction does Tolkien make about the artificial languages he creates for his books?
(a) They are a combination of two real-life languages.
(b) They are seldom used in real life.
(c) They are the opposite of an actual real life language.
(d) They are never used in real life.
5. How does Tolkien consider the term "Elves"?
(a) He thinks it is senseless.
(b) He thinks it is misleading.
(c) He thinks it is amusing.
(d) He thinks it is undefined.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is left out of the letters included in "To Unwin about <i>The Hobbit</i>"?
2. What chapter of the book that Tolkien is working on is he considering altering in Letter #128?
3. During the time these letters are written, what term do the British typically use to label Americans?
4. As mentioned in Letter #66, why does Tolkien think that he will have to move some of the sections of his book?
5. According to the information provided in Letter #69, how often does Tolkien write to Christopher?
This section contains 303 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)