|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, To Unwin about The Hobbit.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What German word meaning "essential" does Tolkien refer to in Letter #6, stating that it is actually viewed as an English word?
2. How does Tolkien think children will respond to Farmer Giles of Ham?
(a) He encourages them not to read it.
(b) They might like it.
(c) They will not understand it.
(d) They will not like it.
3. As mentioned in Letter #66, why does Tolkien think that he will have to move some of the sections of his book?
(a) They are too long.
(b) They are too short.
(c) They do not have the same writing style as the other sections.
(d) They do not fit in with the storyline.
4. Where is the man whose accent Tolkien refers to as "English after being wiped over with a dirty sponge" from?
(a) New England.
(b) New Hampshire.
5. How does Tolkien design the book, Farmer Giles of Ham?
(a) To be read as several separate stories.
(b) To be read aloud.
(c) Not to be read aloud.
(d) To be read in one sitting.
Short Answer Questions
1. How often does Tolkien write to Edith during the time they are separated?
2. What is left out of the letters included in "To Unwin about The Hobbit"?
3. What request is made of Tolkien after he finishes Farmer Giles of Ham?
4. What words does Tolkien use to replace "Elves"?
5. In describing the power of the pen, what aspect of fiction writing does Tolkien refer to when explaining his own writing process and the way he invents characters?
This section contains 348 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)