|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, To Unwin about The Hobbit.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What chapter of the book that Tolkien is working on is he considering altering in Letter #128?
(a) Chapter 8.
(b) Chapter 5.
(c) Chapter 10.
(d) Chapter 3.
2. Where does the conversation about accents take place that Tolkien discusses in his letter to Christopher?
(a) On a plane.
(b) In a car.
(c) On a train.
(d) In a boat.
3. What request is made of Tolkien after he finishes Farmer Giles of Ham?
(a) That he remove two of the characters.
(b) That he edit some of the book to make it shorter.
(c) That he adds to the ending to make it more complete.
(d) That he write more stories to make a large volume.
4. Where is the man whose accent Tolkien refers to as "English after being wiped over with a dirty sponge" from?
(c) New England.
(d) New Hampshire.
5. In what year are the earliest letters in the book written?
Short Answer Questions
1. What words does Tolkien use to replace "Elves"?
2. How does Tolkien think children will respond to Farmer Giles of Ham?
3. As mentioned in Letter #69, which specific part of his manuscript does Tolkien plan on revising?
4. How does Tolkien describe the domestic problems he is having in a letter before he moves to a small house?
5. Who is the person that Tolkien thanks, and is the recipient of Letter #130?
This section contains 279 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)