|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, To Unwin about The Hobbit.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does Tolkien indicate he has been working with the imaginary realms in Letter #130?
2. In Letter, #6, to what college subject does Tolkien refer?
(a) Middle English.
(c) English Literature.
3. What book inspired a schoolboy to write to Tolkien, prompting his response in Letter #114?
(a) The Hobbit.
(b) The Lord of the Rings.
(c) The Silmarillion.
(d) Beowulf: The Monsters and the Critics.
4. What two factors contribute to the main part of Letter #66 to Christopher?
(a) Fiction and the idea of living in an imaginary world.
(b) Real life and the idea of living in an imaginary world.
(c) Fiction and the writing of an imaginary world.
(d) Real life and the writing of an imaginary world.
5. What has Tolkien found in his manuscript when he writes Letter #69?
(a) Too many analogies.
(c) Too many metaphors.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the letters selected for "To Unwin about The Hobbit" have in common?
2. Who does Tolkien say are the only people interested in reading his literary works in Letter #115?
3. In Letter #130, what distinction does Tolkien make about the artificial languages he creates for his books?
4. What does Tolkien explain he uses in developing his fascination with imaginary worlds?
5. How old is J.R.R. Tolkien in the first letter?
This section contains 310 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)