|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, To Unwin about The Hobbit.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As mentioned in Letter #66, why does Tolkien think that he will have to move some of the sections of his book?
(a) They do not have the same writing style as the other sections.
(b) They are too short.
(c) They are too long.
(d) They do not fit in with the storyline.
2. Who provides input , feedback, and advice for the letters in the book?
(a) Edith Bratt.
(b) Humphrey Carpenter.
(c) J.R.R. Tolkien.
(d) Christopher Tolkien.
3. What is Allen & Unwin?
(a) A printing service.
(b) A law firm.
(c) A publishing house.
(d) A bank.
4. What German word meaning "essential" does Tolkien refer to in Letter #6, stating that it is actually viewed as an English word?
5. In Letter, #6, to what college subject does Tolkien refer?
(b) Middle English.
(c) English Literature.
Short Answer Questions
1. What chapter of the book that Tolkien is working on is he considering altering in Letter #128?
2. How old is J.R.R. Tolkien in the first letter?
3. Who does Tolkien express gratitude to in Letter #6?
4. What do the letters selected for "To Unwin about The Hobbit" have in common?
5. What book inspired a schoolboy to write to Tolkien, prompting his response in Letter #114?
This section contains 256 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)