|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, To Unwin about The Hobbit.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Tolkien consider the term "Elves"?
(a) He thinks it is senseless.
(b) He thinks it is undefined.
(c) He thinks it is amusing.
(d) He thinks it is misleading.
2. What will the alteration mean for the book Tolkien is writing in Letter #128?
(a) It will be designed not to have a sequel.
(b) It will be meant not to be read by children.
(c) It will be meant to be read by children.
(d) It will be designed to have a sequel.
3. How old is J.R.R. Tolkien in the first letter?
4. How does Tolkien think children will respond to Farmer Giles of Ham?
(a) They will not understand it.
(b) They will not like it.
(c) He encourages them not to read it.
(d) They might like it.
5. During the time these letters are written, what term do the British typically use to label Americans?
(a) City folk.
Short Answer Questions
1. How often does Tolkien write to Edith during the time they are separated?
2. In what month does Tolkien write to Christopher about the writing process for The Hobbit?
3. As mentioned in Letter #69, which specific part of his manuscript does Tolkien plan on revising?
4. What book inspired a schoolboy to write to Tolkien, prompting his response in Letter #114?
5. How does Tolkien design the book, Farmer Giles of Ham?
This section contains 292 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)