|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, To Unwin about The Hobbit.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Based on the information in the Introduction, how many chapters does the book have?
2. In Letter #130, what distinction does Tolkien make about the artificial languages he creates for his books?
(a) They are never used in real life.
(b) They are the opposite of an actual real life language.
(c) They are a combination of two real-life languages.
(d) They are seldom used in real life.
3. As mentioned in Letter #69, which specific part of his manuscript does Tolkien plan on revising?
(a) Where the Moon has risen and set.
(b) When the Moon has risen and set.
(c) Where the Sun has risen and set.
(d) When the Sun has risen and set.
4. Who is the person that Tolkien thanks, and is the recipient of Letter #130?
(a) Milton Waldman.
(b) Humphrey Carpenter.
(c) George Allen.
(d) Rayner Unwin.
5. In general, why do Tolkien and C.S. Lewis meet several times?
(a) To give each other literary criticism.
(b) To discuss sports and politics.
(c) To edit each other's manuscripts.
(d) To play games.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tolkien describe the domestic problems he is having in a letter before he moves to a small house?
2. Which school is Tolkien attending when the first letter begins?
3. How does Tolkien consider the term "Elves"?
4. How often does Tolkien write to Edith during the time they are separated?
5. How does Tolkien describe the alteration he is contemplating making to his manuscript in Letter #128?
This section contains 268 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)