|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, To Unwin about The Hobbit.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Tolkien describe the domestic problems he is having in a letter before he moves to a small house?
2. How long does Tolkien indicate he has been working with the imaginary realms in Letter #130?
3. In Letter #130, what distinction does Tolkien make about the artificial languages he creates for his books?
(a) They are seldom used in real life.
(b) They are a combination of two real-life languages.
(c) They are never used in real life.
(d) They are the opposite of an actual real life language.
4. In Letter, #6, to what college subject does Tolkien refer?
(a) Middle English.
(c) English Literature.
5. How many other men are traveling with Tolkien during his conversation about accents?
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the letters selected for "To Unwin about The Hobbit" have in common?
2. In what year are the earliest letters in the book written?
3. How does Tolkien describe the alteration he is contemplating making to his manuscript in Letter #128?
4. How does Tolkien describe the change that he has made to his manuscript in Letter #129?
5. What has Tolkien found in his manuscript when he writes Letter #69?
This section contains 233 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)