|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, To Unwin about The Hobbit.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the man whose accent Tolkien refers to as "English after being wiped over with a dirty sponge" from?
(a) New England.
(d) New Hampshire.
2. According to the information provided in Letter #69, how often does Tolkien write to Christopher?
(a) It is not clear.
3. What does Tolkien explain he uses in developing his fascination with imaginary worlds?
(a) His skills, abilities, and sense of humor.
(b) His abilities and sense of humor.
(c) His skills and abilities.
(d) His skills and sense of humor.
4. What words does Tolkien use to replace "Elves"?
(a) Elf and Elfen.
(b) Elfen and Elven.
(c) Elf, Elfen, and Elven.
(d) Elf and Elven.
5. How does Tolkien describe the change that he has made to his manuscript in Letter #129?
Short Answer Questions
1. What request is made of Tolkien after he finishes Farmer Giles of Ham?
2. Based on the information in the Introduction, how many chapters does the book have?
3. What has Tolkien found in his manuscript when he writes Letter #69?
4. How does Tolkien describe the alteration he is contemplating making to his manuscript in Letter #128?
5. What does Tolkien offer to the schoolboy in Letter #114?
This section contains 257 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)