|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, To Unwin about The Hobbit.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Tolkien design the book, <i>Farmer Giles of Ham</i>?
(a) Not to be read aloud.
(b) To be read as several separate stories.
(c) To be read aloud.
(d) To be read in one sitting.
2. Who does Tolkien express gratitude to in Letter #6?
(a) Mrs. E.M. White.
(b) Mrs. E.M. Wright.
(c) Mrs. C.S. White.
(d) Mrs. C.S. Wright.
3. Which school is Tolkien attending when the first letter begins?
4. In general, why do Tolkien and C.S. Lewis meet several times?
(a) To discuss sports and politics.
(b) To give each other literary criticism.
(c) To play games.
(d) To edit each other's manuscripts.
5. What is left out of the letters included in "To Unwin about <i>The Hobbit</i>"?
(a) The full names of the people that the letters are addressed to.
(b) The endings of the letters.
(c) Personal information.
(d) Months and dates.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Tolkien indicate he has been working with the imaginary realms in Letter #130?
2. What German word meaning "essential" does Tolkien refer to in Letter #6, stating that it is actually viewed as an English word?
3. What does Tolkien explain he uses in developing his fascination with imaginary worlds?
4. What request is made of Tolkien after he finishes <i>Farmer Giles of Ham</i>?
5. Who provides input , feedback, and advice for the letters in the book?
This section contains 297 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)