|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, To Unwin about The Hobbit.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the letters selected for "To Unwin about The Hobbit" have in common?
(a) They are all less than one-page long.
(b) They are all over five pages.
(c) They refer to Tolkien's most well known works.
(d) They refer to Tolkien's least known works.
2. How old is J.R.R. Tolkien in the first letter?
3. In general, why do Tolkien and C.S. Lewis meet several times?
(a) To play games.
(b) To edit each other's manuscripts.
(c) To give each other literary criticism.
(d) To discuss sports and politics.
4. Where is the man whose accent Tolkien refers to as "English after being wiped over with a dirty sponge" from?
(b) New England.
(c) New Hampshire.
5. What book inspired a schoolboy to write to Tolkien, prompting his response in Letter #114?
(a) Beowulf: The Monsters and the Critics.
(b) The Lord of the Rings.
(c) The Silmarillion.
(d) The Hobbit.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tolkien describe the writing of The Hobbit to Christopher?
2. How many other men are traveling with Tolkien during his conversation about accents?
3. Who is the person that Tolkien thanks, and is the recipient of Letter #130?
4. In Letter, #6, to what college subject does Tolkien refer?
5. What chapter of the book that Tolkien is working on is he considering altering in Letter #128?
This section contains 237 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)