|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, To Unwin about The Hobbit.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who provides the main order of the letters included in the book?
(a) Humphrey Carpenter.
(b) Edith Bratt.
(c) Christopher Tolkien.
(d) J.R.R. Tolkien.
2. How many other men are traveling with Tolkien during his conversation about accents?
3. What does Tolkien suggest is the greatest resource for the information the schoolboy is seeking in Letter #114?
(a) The Lord of the Rings.
(b) The Silmarillion.
(c) The Hobbit.
(d) Beowulf: The Monsters and the Critics.
4. What words does Tolkien use to replace "Elves"?
(a) Elf and Elven.
(b) Elfen and Elven.
(c) Elf and Elfen.
(d) Elf, Elfen, and Elven.
5. As mentioned in Letter #69, which specific part of his manuscript does Tolkien plan on revising?
(a) When the Moon has risen and set.
(b) Where the Sun has risen and set.
(c) Where the Moon has risen and set.
(d) When the Sun has risen and set.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tolkien consider the term "Elves"?
2. What book inspired a schoolboy to write to Tolkien, prompting his response in Letter #114?
3. In what month does Tolkien write to Christopher about the writing process for The Hobbit?
4. What will the alteration mean for the book Tolkien is writing in Letter #128?
5. How does Tolkien describe the alteration he is contemplating making to his manuscript in Letter #128?
This section contains 278 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)