|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, To Unwin about The Hobbit.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What chapter of the book that Tolkien is working on is he considering altering in Letter #128?
(a) Chapter 10.
(b) Chapter 8.
(c) Chapter 3.
(d) Chapter 5.
2. What two factors contribute to the main part of Letter #66 to Christopher?
(a) Real life and the idea of living in an imaginary world.
(b) Real life and the writing of an imaginary world.
(c) Fiction and the writing of an imaginary world.
(d) Fiction and the idea of living in an imaginary world.
3. What does Tolkien offer to the schoolboy in Letter #114?
(a) Early copies of documents.
(b) The first draft of a never released manuscript.
(c) Monogrammed stationery.
(d) An encyclopedia set.
4. In what year are the earliest letters in the book written?
5. What does Tolkien explain he uses in developing his fascination with imaginary worlds?
(a) His skills and abilities.
(b) His abilities and sense of humor.
(c) His skills, abilities, and sense of humor.
(d) His skills and sense of humor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What German word meaning "essential" does Tolkien refer to in Letter #6, stating that it is actually viewed as an English word?
2. What will the alteration mean for the book Tolkien is writing in Letter #128?
3. How long is Tolkien separated from Edith, making his affection for her grow stronger?
4. In Letter #130, what distinction does Tolkien make about the artificial languages he creates for his books?
5. How long does Tolkien indicate he has been working with the imaginary realms in Letter #130?
This section contains 306 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)