|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, To Unwin about The Hobbit.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As mentioned in Letter #66, why does Tolkien think that he will have to move some of the sections of his book?
(a) They are too short.
(b) They are too long.
(c) They do not have the same writing style as the other sections.
(d) They do not fit in with the storyline.
2. How old is J.R.R. Tolkien in the first letter?
3. Where is the man whose accent Tolkien refers to as "English after being wiped over with a dirty sponge" from?
(c) New Hampshire.
(d) New England.
4. What does Tolkien suggest is the greatest resource for the information the schoolboy is seeking in Letter #114?
(a) The Lord of the Rings.
(b) The Silmarillion.
(c) Beowulf: The Monsters and the Critics.
(d) The Hobbit.
5. Who does Tolkien say are the only people interested in reading his literary works in Letter #115?
(a) Only his wife and son.
(b) C.S. Lewis and his son.
(c) Only C.S. Lewis.
(d) C.S. Lewis and his wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Letter #27, which of the following does Tolkien say that he will leave the drawing of to someone who can draw ?
2. In Letter #130, what distinction does Tolkien make about the artificial languages he creates for his books?
3. How does Tolkien describe the alteration he is contemplating making to his manuscript in Letter #128?
4. How many other men are traveling with Tolkien during his conversation about accents?
5. How long does Tolkien indicate he has been working with the imaginary realms in Letter #130?
This section contains 287 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)