|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, To Unwin about The Hobbit.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What will the alteration mean for the book Tolkien is writing in Letter #128?
(a) It will be designed not to have a sequel.
(b) It will be meant not to be read by children.
(c) It will be meant to be read by children.
(d) It will be designed to have a sequel.
2. How many other men are traveling with Tolkien during his conversation about accents?
3. In describing the power of the pen, what aspect of fiction writing does Tolkien refer to when explaining his own writing process and the way he invents characters?
(a) The extensive research done before writing.
(b) The unpredictability of it.
(c) The extensive reading of other fiction done before writing.
(d) The predictability of it.
4. What chapter of the book that Tolkien is working on is he considering altering in Letter #128?
(a) Chapter 5.
(b) Chapter 3.
(c) Chapter 8.
(d) Chapter 10.
5. What German word meaning "essential" does Tolkien refer to in Letter #6, stating that it is actually viewed as an English word?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Letter #27, which of the following does Tolkien say that he will leave the drawing of to someone who can draw ?
2. What does Tolkien explain he uses in developing his fascination with imaginary worlds?
3. During the time these letters are written, what term do the British typically use to label Americans?
4. Who does Tolkien express gratitude to in Letter #6?
5. How does Tolkien design the book, Farmer Giles of Ham?
This section contains 301 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)