|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, To Unwin about The Hobbit.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As mentioned in Letter #69, which specific part of his manuscript does Tolkien plan on revising?
(a) Where the Sun has risen and set.
(b) Where the Moon has risen and set.
(c) When the Moon has risen and set.
(d) When the Sun has risen and set.
2. Who does Tolkien say are the only people interested in reading his literary works in Letter #115?
(a) C.S. Lewis and his wife.
(b) Only his wife and son.
(c) C.S. Lewis and his son.
(d) Only C.S. Lewis.
3. How old is J.R.R. Tolkien in the first letter?
4. How long is Tolkien separated from Edith, making his affection for her grow stronger?
(a) One year.
(b) Four years.
(c) Two years.
(d) Three years.
5. What request is made of Tolkien after he finishes Farmer Giles of Ham?
(a) That he remove two of the characters.
(b) That he edit some of the book to make it shorter.
(c) That he write more stories to make a large volume.
(d) That he adds to the ending to make it more complete.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year are the earliest letters in the book written?
2. How does Tolkien describe the domestic problems he is having in a letter before he moves to a small house?
3. How many other men are traveling with Tolkien during his conversation about accents?
4. What is left out of the letters included in "To Unwin about The Hobbit"?
5. Where does the conversation about accents take place that Tolkien discusses in his letter to Christopher?
This section contains 285 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)