|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, To Unwin about The Hobbit.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Tolkien describe the writing of The Hobbit to Christopher?
(b) Both easy and difficult.
(d) Neither easy nor difficult.
2. Who does Tolkien say are the only people interested in reading his literary works in Letter #115?
(a) Only C.S. Lewis.
(b) C.S. Lewis and his wife.
(c) Only his wife and son.
(d) C.S. Lewis and his son.
3. In Letter #27, which of the following does Tolkien say that he will leave the drawing of to someone who can draw ?
4. Who provides the main order of the letters included in the book?
(a) Christopher Tolkien.
(b) J.R.R. Tolkien.
(c) Edith Bratt.
(d) Humphrey Carpenter.
5. What does Tolkien explain he uses in developing his fascination with imaginary worlds?
(a) His abilities and sense of humor.
(b) His skills, abilities, and sense of humor.
(c) His skills and sense of humor.
(d) His skills and abilities.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which school is Tolkien attending when the first letter begins?
2. How many improvements does Tolkien indicate he has made to the manuscript for Farmer Giles of Ham?
3. What is left out of the letters included in "To Unwin about The Hobbit"?
4. Based on the information in the Introduction, how many chapters does the book have?
5. Where does the conversation about accents take place that Tolkien discusses in his letter to Christopher?
This section contains 263 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)