|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, Allen & Unwin.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who provides input , feedback, and advice for the letters in the book?
(a) Christopher Tolkien.
(b) Edith Bratt.
(c) Humphrey Carpenter.
(d) J.R.R. Tolkien.
2. During the time these letters are written, what term do the British typically use to label Americans?
(c) City folk.
3. Who does Tolkien express gratitude to in Letter #6?
(a) Mrs. C.S. White.
(b) Mrs. E.M. White.
(c) Mrs. C.S. Wright.
(d) Mrs. E.M. Wright.
4. What German word meaning "essential" does Tolkien refer to in Letter #6, stating that it is actually viewed as an English word?
5. In Letter, #6, to what college subject does Tolkien refer?
(a) English Literature.
(b) Middle English.
Short Answer Questions
1. In describing the power of the pen, what aspect of fiction writing does Tolkien refer to when explaining his own writing process and the way he invents characters?
2. As mentioned in Letter #66, why does Tolkien think that he will have to move some of the sections of his book?
3. What request is made of Tolkien after he finishes Farmer Giles of Ham?
4. How often does Tolkien write to Edith during the time they are separated?
5. What has Tolkien found in his manuscript when he writes Letter #69?
This section contains 302 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)