|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, Allen & Unwin.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In general, why do Tolkien and C.S. Lewis meet several times?
(a) To discuss sports and politics.
(b) To edit each other's manuscripts.
(c) To play games.
(d) To give each other literary criticism.
2. How many improvements does Tolkien indicate he has made to the manuscript for Farmer Giles of Ham?
(a) Too many to count.
(b) Only a few.
3. In what month does Tolkien write to Christopher about the writing process for The Hobbit?
4. Where is the man whose accent Tolkien refers to as "English after being wiped over with a dirty sponge" from?
(c) New Hampshire.
(d) New England.
5. What German word meaning "essential" does Tolkien refer to in Letter #6, stating that it is actually viewed as an English word?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Allen & Unwin?
2. What book inspired a schoolboy to write to Tolkien, prompting his response in Letter #114?
3. What request is made of Tolkien after he finishes Farmer Giles of Ham?
4. In describing the power of the pen, what aspect of fiction writing does Tolkien refer to when explaining his own writing process and the way he invents characters?
5. Based on the information in the Introduction, how many chapters does the book have?
This section contains 292 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)