|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, Allen & Unwin.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What German word meaning "essential" does Tolkien refer to in Letter #6, stating that it is actually viewed as an English word?
2. How does Tolkien describe the domestic problems he is having in a letter before he moves to a small house?
3. As mentioned in Letter #69, which specific part of his manuscript does Tolkien plan on revising?
(a) Where the Sun has risen and set.
(b) When the Moon has risen and set.
(c) When the Sun has risen and set.
(d) Where the Moon has risen and set.
4. What is Allen & Unwin?
(a) A law firm.
(b) A printing service.
(c) A bank.
(d) A publishing house.
5. As mentioned in Letter #66, why does Tolkien think that he will have to move some of the sections of his book?
(a) They are too long.
(b) They do not fit in with the storyline.
(c) They are too short.
(d) They do not have the same writing style as the other sections.
Short Answer Questions
1. In describing the power of the pen, what aspect of fiction writing does Tolkien refer to when explaining his own writing process and the way he invents characters?
2. Who does Tolkien express gratitude to in Letter #6?
3. How many improvements does Tolkien indicate he has made to the manuscript for Farmer Giles of Ham?
4. In what month does Tolkien write to Christopher about the writing process for The Hobbit?
5. How long is Tolkien separated from Edith, making his affection for her grow stronger?
This section contains 298 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)