|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, Allen & Unwin.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what month does Tolkien write to Christopher about the writing process for The Hobbit?
2. As mentioned in Letter #69, which specific part of his manuscript does Tolkien plan on revising?
(a) When the Moon has risen and set.
(b) Where the Moon has risen and set.
(c) Where the Sun has risen and set.
(d) When the Sun has risen and set.
3. As mentioned in Letter #66, why does Tolkien think that he will have to move some of the sections of his book?
(a) They are too long.
(b) They do not fit in with the storyline.
(c) They do not have the same writing style as the other sections.
(d) They are too short.
4. Who provides the main order of the letters included in the book?
(a) Edith Bratt.
(b) J.R.R. Tolkien.
(c) Humphrey Carpenter.
(d) Christopher Tolkien.
5. What is Allen & Unwin?
(a) A publishing house.
(b) A bank.
(c) A law firm.
(d) A printing service.
Short Answer Questions
1. In describing the power of the pen, what aspect of fiction writing does Tolkien refer to when explaining his own writing process and the way he invents characters?
2. What has Tolkien found in his manuscript when he writes Letter #69?
3. How does Tolkien describe the domestic problems he is having in a letter before he moves to a small house?
4. Who provides input , feedback, and advice for the letters in the book?
5. What assertion does Tolkien make about Farmer Giles of Ham?
This section contains 297 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)