|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, Allen & Unwin.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As mentioned in Letter #66, why does Tolkien think that he will have to move some of the sections of his book?
(a) They do not have the same writing style as the other sections.
(b) They are too long.
(c) They are too short.
(d) They do not fit in with the storyline.
2. How does Tolkien describe the writing of The Hobbit to Christopher?
(a) Neither easy nor difficult.
(b) Both easy and difficult.
3. How does Tolkien describe the domestic problems he is having in a letter before he moves to a small house?
4. During the time these letters are written, what term do the British typically use to label Americans?
(a) City folk.
5. Based on the information in the Introduction, how many chapters does the book have?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the man whose accent Tolkien refers to as "English after being wiped over with a dirty sponge" from?
2. Which school is Tolkien attending when the first letter begins?
3. How old is J.R.R. Tolkien in the first letter?
4. What assertion does Tolkien make about Farmer Giles of Ham?
5. What does Tolkien offer to the schoolboy in Letter #114?
This section contains 248 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)