|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, Allen & Unwin.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Tolkien think children will respond to Farmer Giles of Ham?
(a) They will not understand it.
(b) They will not like it.
(c) He encourages them not to read it.
(d) They might like it.
2. What two factors contribute to the main part of Letter #66 to Christopher?
(a) Fiction and the writing of an imaginary world.
(b) Fiction and the idea of living in an imaginary world.
(c) Real life and the idea of living in an imaginary world.
(d) Real life and the writing of an imaginary world.
3. How many improvements does Tolkien indicate he has made to the manuscript for Farmer Giles of Ham?
(a) Only a few.
(d) Too many to count.
4. What does Tolkien suggest is the greatest resource for the information the schoolboy is seeking in Letter #114?
(a) The Silmarillion.
(b) Beowulf: The Monsters and the Critics.
(c) The Lord of the Rings.
(d) The Hobbit.
5. What German word meaning "essential" does Tolkien refer to in Letter #6, stating that it is actually viewed as an English word?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Letter, #6, to what college subject does Tolkien refer?
2. In Letter #27, which of the following does Tolkien say that he will leave the drawing of to someone who can draw ?
3. What does Tolkien offer to the schoolboy in Letter #114?
4. In describing the power of the pen, what aspect of fiction writing does Tolkien refer to when explaining his own writing process and the way he invents characters?
5. What book inspired a schoolboy to write to Tolkien, prompting his response in Letter #114?
This section contains 312 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)