|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, Allen & Unwin.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Tolkien think children will respond to Farmer Giles of Ham?
(a) He encourages them not to read it.
(b) They might like it.
(c) They will not like it.
(d) They will not understand it.
2. Who provides the main order of the letters included in the book?
(a) Christopher Tolkien.
(b) J.R.R. Tolkien.
(c) Humphrey Carpenter.
(d) Edith Bratt.
3. In describing the power of the pen, what aspect of fiction writing does Tolkien refer to when explaining his own writing process and the way he invents characters?
(a) The extensive reading of other fiction done before writing.
(b) The extensive research done before writing.
(c) The unpredictability of it.
(d) The predictability of it.
4. How long is Tolkien separated from Edith, making his affection for her grow stronger?
(a) Four years.
(b) Two years.
(c) One year.
(d) Three years.
5. Which school is Tolkien attending when the first letter begins?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tolkien suggest is the greatest resource for the information the schoolboy is seeking in Letter #114?
2. How does Tolkien describe the writing of The Hobbit to Christopher?
3. As mentioned in Letter #69, which specific part of his manuscript does Tolkien plan on revising?
4. In Letter, #6, to what college subject does Tolkien refer?
5. What German word meaning "essential" does Tolkien refer to in Letter #6, stating that it is actually viewed as an English word?
This section contains 278 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)