|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, Allen & Unwin.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Tolkien think children will respond to Farmer Giles of Ham?
(a) They will not like it.
(b) They might like it.
(c) He encourages them not to read it.
(d) They will not understand it.
2. What request is made of Tolkien after he finishes Farmer Giles of Ham?
(a) That he write more stories to make a large volume.
(b) That he remove two of the characters.
(c) That he adds to the ending to make it more complete.
(d) That he edit some of the book to make it shorter.
3. Who provides input , feedback, and advice for the letters in the book?
(a) J.R.R. Tolkien.
(b) Edith Bratt.
(c) Humphrey Carpenter.
(d) Christopher Tolkien.
4. Where is the man whose accent Tolkien refers to as "English after being wiped over with a dirty sponge" from?
(b) New Hampshire.
(c) New England.
5. What is Allen & Unwin?
(a) A law firm.
(b) A printing service.
(c) A bank.
(d) A publishing house.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Tolkien say are the only people interested in reading his literary works in Letter #115?
2. How many improvements does Tolkien indicate he has made to the manuscript for Farmer Giles of Ham?
3. How does Tolkien describe the domestic problems he is having in a letter before he moves to a small house?
4. In Letter #27, which of the following does Tolkien say that he will leave the drawing of to someone who can draw ?
5. Based on the information in the Introduction, how many chapters does the book have?
This section contains 278 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)