|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, Allen & Unwin.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many improvements does Tolkien indicate he has made to the manuscript for Farmer Giles of Ham?
(b) Only a few.
(d) Too many to count.
2. How does Tolkien describe the writing of The Hobbit to Christopher?
(a) Both easy and difficult.
(d) Neither easy nor difficult.
3. Which school is Tolkien attending when the first letter begins?
4. How does Tolkien think children will respond to Farmer Giles of Ham?
(a) He encourages them not to read it.
(b) They might like it.
(c) They will not understand it.
(d) They will not like it.
5. What book inspired a schoolboy to write to Tolkien, prompting his response in Letter #114?
(a) Beowulf: The Monsters and the Critics.
(b) The Lord of the Rings.
(c) The Silmarillion.
(d) The Hobbit.
Short Answer Questions
1. Based on the information in the Introduction, how many chapters does the book have?
2. What request is made of Tolkien after he finishes Farmer Giles of Ham?
3. In what year are the earliest letters in the book written?
4. In what month does Tolkien write to Christopher about the writing process for The Hobbit?
5. How does Tolkien describe the domestic problems he is having in a letter before he moves to a small house?
This section contains 247 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)