|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, Allen & Unwin.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Tolkien say are the only people interested in reading his literary works in Letter #115?
(a) C.S. Lewis and his wife.
(b) C.S. Lewis and his son.
(c) Only C.S. Lewis.
(d) Only his wife and son.
2. What book inspired a schoolboy to write to Tolkien, prompting his response in Letter #114?
(a) Beowulf: The Monsters and the Critics.
(b) The Lord of the Rings.
(c) The Silmarillion.
(d) The Hobbit.
3. Where is the man whose accent Tolkien refers to as "English after being wiped over with a dirty sponge" from?
(b) New Hampshire.
(d) New England.
4. How does Tolkien describe the writing of The Hobbit to Christopher?
(b) Neither easy nor difficult.
(d) Both easy and difficult.
5. Which school is Tolkien attending when the first letter begins?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Letter, #6, to what college subject does Tolkien refer?
2. What has Tolkien found in his manuscript when he writes Letter #69?
3. Who does Tolkien express gratitude to in Letter #6?
4. Who provides input , feedback, and advice for the letters in the book?
5. In describing the power of the pen, what aspect of fiction writing does Tolkien refer to when explaining his own writing process and the way he invents characters?
This section contains 258 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)