|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, Allen & Unwin.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the information provided in Letter #69, how often does Tolkien write to Christopher?
(d) It is not clear.
2. How long is Tolkien separated from Edith, making his affection for her grow stronger?
(a) Three years.
(b) One year.
(c) Two years.
(d) Four years.
3. How does Tolkien describe the writing of The Hobbit to Christopher?
(b) Both easy and difficult.
(c) Neither easy nor difficult.
4. Who does Tolkien say are the only people interested in reading his literary works in Letter #115?
(a) Only C.S. Lewis.
(b) C.S. Lewis and his wife.
(c) Only his wife and son.
(d) C.S. Lewis and his son.
5. What German word meaning "essential" does Tolkien refer to in Letter #6, stating that it is actually viewed as an English word?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tolkien suggest is the greatest resource for the information the schoolboy is seeking in Letter #114?
2. What book inspired a schoolboy to write to Tolkien, prompting his response in Letter #114?
3. Based on the information in the Introduction, how many chapters does the book have?
4. What has Tolkien found in his manuscript when he writes Letter #69?
5. As mentioned in Letter #66, why does Tolkien think that he will have to move some of the sections of his book?
This section contains 273 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)