|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, Allen & Unwin.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many improvements does Tolkien indicate he has made to the manuscript for Farmer Giles of Ham?
(a) Too many to count.
(d) Only a few.
2. Based on the information in the Introduction, how many chapters does the book have?
3. How does Tolkien design the book, Farmer Giles of Ham?
(a) To be read aloud.
(b) Not to be read aloud.
(c) To be read as several separate stories.
(d) To be read in one sitting.
4. What German word meaning "essential" does Tolkien refer to in Letter #6, stating that it is actually viewed as an English word?
5. Where does the conversation about accents take place that Tolkien discusses in his letter to Christopher?
(a) In a car.
(b) In a boat.
(c) On a train.
(d) On a plane.
Short Answer Questions
1. What request is made of Tolkien after he finishes Farmer Giles of Ham?
2. Where is the man whose accent Tolkien refers to as "English after being wiped over with a dirty sponge" from?
3. Who provides the main order of the letters included in the book?
4. Who does Tolkien express gratitude to in Letter #6?
5. What does Tolkien suggest is the greatest resource for the information the schoolboy is seeking in Letter #114?
This section contains 285 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)