|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, Allen & Unwin.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Letter #27, which of the following does Tolkien say that he will leave the drawing of to someone who can draw ?
2. What does Tolkien suggest is the greatest resource for the information the schoolboy is seeking in Letter #114?
(a) <i>The Hobbit</i>.
(b) <i>The Silmarillion</i>.
(c) <i>The Lord of the Rings</i>.
(d) <i>Beowulf: The Monsters and the Critics</i>.
3. Who does Tolkien express gratitude to in Letter #6?
(a) Mrs. C.S. White.
(b) Mrs. C.S. Wright.
(c) Mrs. E.M. White.
(d) Mrs. E.M. Wright.
4. Based on the information in the Introduction, how many chapters does the book have?
5. What does Tolkien offer to the schoolboy in Letter #114?
(a) The first draft of a never released manuscript.
(b) Monogrammed stationery.
(c) An encyclopedia set.
(d) Early copies of documents.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what month does Tolkien write to Christopher about the writing process for <i>The Hobbit</i>?
2. Where is the man whose accent Tolkien refers to as "English after being wiped over with a dirty sponge" from?
3. As mentioned in Letter #69, which specific part of his manuscript does Tolkien plan on revising?
4. What request is made of Tolkien after he finishes <i>Farmer Giles of Ham</i>?
5. How many other men are traveling with Tolkien during his conversation about accents?
This section contains 294 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)