|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, Allen & Unwin.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Based on the information in the Introduction, how many chapters does the book have?
2. Who provides the main order of the letters included in the book?
(a) Humphrey Carpenter.
(b) Edith Bratt.
(c) Christopher Tolkien.
(d) J.R.R. Tolkien.
3. As mentioned in Letter #66, why does Tolkien think that he will have to move some of the sections of his book?
(a) They are too long.
(b) They do not fit in with the storyline.
(c) They do not have the same writing style as the other sections.
(d) They are too short.
4. What is Allen & Unwin?
(a) A bank.
(b) A law firm.
(c) A printing service.
(d) A publishing house.
5. How does Tolkien describe the writing of The Hobbit to Christopher?
(a) Both easy and difficult.
(d) Neither easy nor difficult.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long is Tolkien separated from Edith, making his affection for her grow stronger?
2. What two factors contribute to the main part of Letter #66 to Christopher?
3. How does Tolkien design the book, Farmer Giles of Ham?
4. How does Tolkien describe the domestic problems he is having in a letter before he moves to a small house?
5. How old is J.R.R. Tolkien in the first letter?
This section contains 268 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)