|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, Allen & Unwin.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What German word meaning "essential" does Tolkien refer to in Letter #6, stating that it is actually viewed as an English word?
2. What two factors contribute to the main part of Letter #66 to Christopher?
(a) Real life and the idea of living in an imaginary world.
(b) Real life and the writing of an imaginary world.
(c) Fiction and the idea of living in an imaginary world.
(d) Fiction and the writing of an imaginary world.
3. What has Tolkien found in his manuscript when he writes Letter #69?
(a) Too many analogies.
(d) Too many metaphors.
4. What assertion does Tolkien make about Farmer Giles of Ham?
(a) It is a children's book.
(b) It is not a children's book.
(c) It is his longest work to date.
(d) It is an unfinished work.
5. How does Tolkien describe the writing of The Hobbit to Christopher?
(a) Both easy and difficult.
(b) Neither easy nor difficult.
Short Answer Questions
1. What request is made of Tolkien after he finishes Farmer Giles of Ham?
2. Which school is Tolkien attending when the first letter begins?
3. As mentioned in Letter #69, which specific part of his manuscript does Tolkien plan on revising?
4. How often does Tolkien write to Edith during the time they are separated?
5. What does Tolkien offer to the schoolboy in Letter #114?
This section contains 306 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)