|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, Allen & Unwin.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Tolkien say are the only people interested in reading his literary works in Letter #115?
(a) Only his wife and son.
(b) Only C.S. Lewis.
(c) C.S. Lewis and his son.
(d) C.S. Lewis and his wife.
2. How often does Tolkien write to Edith during the time they are separated?
(b) Once a month.
(c) Once a day.
(d) Once a week.
3. How many improvements does Tolkien indicate he has made to the manuscript for Farmer Giles of Ham?
(c) Too many to count.
(d) Only a few.
4. How does Tolkien think children will respond to Farmer Giles of Ham?
(a) They might like it.
(b) They will not understand it.
(c) He encourages them not to read it.
(d) They will not like it.
5. Where does the conversation about accents take place that Tolkien discusses in his letter to Christopher?
(a) In a boat.
(b) In a car.
(c) On a plane.
(d) On a train.
Short Answer Questions
1. During the time these letters are written, what term do the British typically use to label Americans?
2. What request is made of Tolkien after he finishes Farmer Giles of Ham?
3. According to the information provided in Letter #69, how often does Tolkien write to Christopher?
4. How old is J.R.R. Tolkien in the first letter?
5. Based on the information in the Introduction, how many chapters does the book have?
This section contains 275 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)