|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, Allen & Unwin.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long is Tolkien separated from Edith, making his affection for her grow stronger?
(a) Four years.
(b) Two years.
(c) One year.
(d) Three years.
2. How many other men are traveling with Tolkien during his conversation about accents?
3. As mentioned in Letter #66, why does Tolkien think that he will have to move some of the sections of his book?
(a) They are too long.
(b) They do not fit in with the storyline.
(c) They are too short.
(d) They do not have the same writing style as the other sections.
4. What German word meaning "essential" does Tolkien refer to in Letter #6, stating that it is actually viewed as an English word?
5. As mentioned in Letter #69, which specific part of his manuscript does Tolkien plan on revising?
(a) Where the Moon has risen and set.
(b) Where the Sun has risen and set.
(c) When the Sun has risen and set.
(d) When the Moon has risen and set.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Tolkien express gratitude to in Letter #6?
2. How does Tolkien design the book, Farmer Giles of Ham?
3. How old is J.R.R. Tolkien in the first letter?
4. How does Tolkien describe the writing of The Hobbit to Christopher?
5. How does Tolkien think children will respond to Farmer Giles of Ham?
This section contains 281 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)