|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, Allen & Unwin.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Allen & Unwin?
(a) A publishing house.
(b) A printing service.
(c) A law firm.
(d) A bank.
2. How often does Tolkien write to Edith during the time they are separated?
(b) Once a month.
(c) Once a day.
(d) Once a week.
3. Where does the conversation about accents take place that Tolkien discusses in his letter to Christopher?
(a) On a train.
(b) In a boat.
(c) On a plane.
(d) In a car.
4. In what year are the earliest letters in the book written?
5. How many improvements does Tolkien indicate he has made to the manuscript for Farmer Giles of Ham?
(b) Only a few.
(c) Too many to count.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many other men are traveling with Tolkien during his conversation about accents?
2. What request is made of Tolkien after he finishes Farmer Giles of Ham?
3. What does Tolkien offer to the schoolboy in Letter #114?
4. In describing the power of the pen, what aspect of fiction writing does Tolkien refer to when explaining his own writing process and the way he invents characters?
5. How does Tolkien design the book, Farmer Giles of Ham?
This section contains 281 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)