|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, Allen & Unwin.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tolkien offer to the schoolboy in Letter #114?
(a) The first draft of a never released manuscript.
(b) Early copies of documents.
(c) Monogrammed stationery.
(d) An encyclopedia set.
2. In Letter #27, which of the following does Tolkien say that he will leave the drawing of to someone who can draw ?
3. Who does Tolkien say are the only people interested in reading his literary works in Letter #115?
(a) Only his wife and son.
(b) Only C.S. Lewis.
(c) C.S. Lewis and his wife.
(d) C.S. Lewis and his son.
4. Where is the man whose accent Tolkien refers to as "English after being wiped over with a dirty sponge" from?
(a) New England.
(c) New Hampshire.
5. What two factors contribute to the main part of Letter #66 to Christopher?
(a) Fiction and the idea of living in an imaginary world.
(b) Real life and the writing of an imaginary world.
(c) Real life and the idea of living in an imaginary world.
(d) Fiction and the writing of an imaginary world.
Short Answer Questions
1. What assertion does Tolkien make about Farmer Giles of Ham?
2. How old is J.R.R. Tolkien in the first letter?
3. In general, why do Tolkien and C.S. Lewis meet several times?
4. What does Tolkien suggest is the greatest resource for the information the schoolboy is seeking in Letter #114?
5. How often does Tolkien write to Edith during the time they are separated?
This section contains 298 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)