|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, Allen & Unwin.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As mentioned in Letter #69, which specific part of his manuscript does Tolkien plan on revising?
(a) Where the Moon has risen and set.
(b) Where the Sun has risen and set.
(c) When the Sun has risen and set.
(d) When the Moon has risen and set.
2. How many improvements does Tolkien indicate he has made to the manuscript for <i>Farmer Giles of Ham</i>?
(a) Too many to count.
(c) Only a few.
3. How does Tolkien describe the domestic problems he is having in a letter before he moves to a small house?
4. Who does Tolkien express gratitude to in Letter #6?
(a) Mrs. C.S. White.
(b) Mrs. E.M. Wright.
(c) Mrs. C.S. Wright.
(d) Mrs. E.M. White.
5. How long is Tolkien separated from Edith, making his affection for her grow stronger?
(a) Two years.
(b) Three years.
(c) One year.
(d) Four years.
Short Answer Questions
1. In general, why do Tolkien and C.S. Lewis meet several times?
2. Based on the information in the Introduction, how many chapters does the book have?
3. Who provides the main order of the letters included in the book?
4. What German word meaning "essential" does Tolkien refer to in Letter #6, stating that it is actually viewed as an English word?
5. As mentioned in Letter #66, why does Tolkien think that he will have to move some of the sections of his book?
This section contains 286 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)