|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, Allen & Unwin.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long is Tolkien separated from Edith, making his affection for her grow stronger?
(a) One year.
(b) Four years.
(c) Three years.
(d) Two years.
2. Where is the man whose accent Tolkien refers to as "English after being wiped over with a dirty sponge" from?
(b) New Hampshire.
(c) New England.
3. How often does Tolkien write to Edith during the time they are separated?
(a) Once a month.
(c) Once a week.
(d) Once a day.
4. Which school is Tolkien attending when the first letter begins?
5. What has Tolkien found in his manuscript when he writes Letter #69?
(a) Too many metaphors.
(c) Too many analogies.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the conversation about accents take place that Tolkien discusses in his letter to Christopher?
2. As mentioned in Letter #66, why does Tolkien think that he will have to move some of the sections of his book?
3. What does Tolkien offer to the schoolboy in Letter #114?
4. What book inspired a schoolboy to write to Tolkien, prompting his response in Letter #114?
5. How does Tolkien describe the writing of The Hobbit to Christopher?
This section contains 257 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)