|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, Allen & Unwin.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Based on the information in the Introduction, how many chapters does the book have?
2. Which school is Tolkien attending when the first letter begins?
3. What two factors contribute to the main part of Letter #66 to Christopher?
(a) Fiction and the writing of an imaginary world.
(b) Fiction and the idea of living in an imaginary world.
(c) Real life and the idea of living in an imaginary world.
(d) Real life and the writing of an imaginary world.
4. How does Tolkien design the book, Farmer Giles of Ham?
(a) To be read in one sitting.
(b) Not to be read aloud.
(c) To be read aloud.
(d) To be read as several separate stories.
5. How often does Tolkien write to Edith during the time they are separated?
(a) Once a month.
(b) Once a day.
(c) Once a week.
Short Answer Questions
1. What request is made of Tolkien after he finishes Farmer Giles of Ham?
2. According to the information provided in Letter #69, how often does Tolkien write to Christopher?
3. How does Tolkien describe the domestic problems he is having in a letter before he moves to a small house?
4. How old is J.R.R. Tolkien in the first letter?
5. What has Tolkien found in his manuscript when he writes Letter #69?
This section contains 268 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)