|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, Allen & Unwin.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the conversation about accents take place that Tolkien discusses in his letter to Christopher?
(a) In a car.
(b) In a boat.
(c) On a train.
(d) On a plane.
2. How does Tolkien think children will respond to Farmer Giles of Ham?
(a) They will not understand it.
(b) They might like it.
(c) They will not like it.
(d) He encourages them not to read it.
3. In Letter, #6, to what college subject does Tolkien refer?
(b) English Literature.
(d) Middle English.
4. What request is made of Tolkien after he finishes Farmer Giles of Ham?
(a) That he edit some of the book to make it shorter.
(b) That he remove two of the characters.
(c) That he adds to the ending to make it more complete.
(d) That he write more stories to make a large volume.
5. How does Tolkien design the book, Farmer Giles of Ham?
(a) Not to be read aloud.
(b) To be read as several separate stories.
(c) To be read in one sitting.
(d) To be read aloud.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tolkien offer to the schoolboy in Letter #114?
2. Who provides the main order of the letters included in the book?
3. As mentioned in Letter #69, which specific part of his manuscript does Tolkien plan on revising?
4. How does Tolkien describe the writing of The Hobbit to Christopher?
5. Where is the man whose accent Tolkien refers to as "English after being wiped over with a dirty sponge" from?
This section contains 298 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)