|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 16, The Final Letters.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Letter #130, what distinction does Tolkien make about the artificial languages he creates for his books?
(a) They are never used in real life.
(b) They are the opposite of an actual real life language.
(c) They are seldom used in real life.
(d) They are a combination of two real-life languages.
2. How does Tolkien think children will respond to <i>Farmer Giles of Ham</i>?
(a) They will not understand it.
(b) He encourages them not to read it.
(c) They might like it.
(d) They will not like it.
3. What book inspired a schoolboy to write to Tolkien, prompting his response in Letter #114?
(a) <i>The Silmarillion</i>.
(b) <i>Beowulf: The Monsters and the Critics</i>.
(c) <i>The Hobbit</i>.
(d) <i>The Lord of the Rings</i>.
4. As stated in "The Professor," when are <i>The Lord of the Rings</i> books officially published?
5. How does Tolkien respond to C.S. Lewis' use of the name Numenor in one of his stories?
(a) He is curious.
(b) He is offended.
(c) He is delighted.
(d) He is confused.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which two characters have a dynamic that Tolkien thinks has a great effect on the events in <i>The Lord of Rings</i>?
2. Which of the following is the main thing that separates the Hobbits and the enemy?
3. What feeling does Tolkien have about knowing the entire story of <i>The Lord of the Rings</i>?
4. How many times do the Elves and the Dwarves share an enduring friendship throughout their history?
5. What do the letters selected for "To Unwin about <i>The Hobbit</i>" have in common?
This section contains 337 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)